HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2011, 03:32 AM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
P_B,

I have a question regarding Sonne. Did you get to watch many Rivermen games this year? If so, how was Sonne's speed and anticipation of the plays. When I watched the Riv's a lot his first year he was behind the play a good amount of the time. Has he improved those areas?

I didn't see much problems with his play in other areas, solid along the boards, decent set of hands, positioning was OK, will get in front of some shots, not a fighter per say but if someone takes a dirty hit while he's on the ice he's on them like white on rice. Did he improve on those areas as well? Obviously not scoring but I'm not overly concerned with that since he's been played in a bottom six role.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Off-topic, but I always kind of associated Palushaj and Sonne in my mind as having similar development curves (with Palushaj having higher upside). Wonder what he's up to, but the presence of a guy like D'Agostini for Palushaj sure looks like a favorable trade.
Me too. They were both drafted in 2007, which is turning out to be a great draft for The Blues with Halak (Eller), Cole, Perron and D'Agostini (Palushaj) all being NHL-caliber players.

Speaking of Palushaj...he was the 6th leading scorer in the AHL playoffs with 19 points in 19 games played. And Hamilton didn't even make the finals.

Old
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
P_B,

I have a question regarding Sonne. Did you get to watch many Rivermen games this year? If so, how was Sonne's speed and anticipation of the plays. When I watched the Riv's a lot his first year he was behind the play a good amount of the time. Has he improved those areas?
It seems as though he has improved in those areas a bit. I only got to see a few games in the first part of the year before I had to move out here to PHX, but in the games I saw, Sonne was in on the plays when he should have been, and was going to the front of the net and into the corners.

Quote:
I didn't see much problems with his play in other areas, solid along the boards, decent set of hands, positioning was OK, will get in front of some shots, not a fighter per say but if someone takes a dirty hit while he's on the ice he's on them like white on rice. Did he improve on those areas as well? Obviously not scoring but I'm not overly concerned with that since he's been played in a bottom six role.
I don't know if I'd say he improved in any of those areas significantly, but he certainly did not regress at all. If Jared Bednar's post-season "report card" comments are any indication, it seems as though Sonne is accepting that role and maintaining/developing the skill set required to be a success at it.

Old
06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Me too. They were both drafted in 2007, which is turning out to be a great draft for The Blues with Halak (Eller), Cole, Perron and D'Agostini (Palushaj) all being NHL-caliber players.

Speaking of Palushaj...he was the 6th leading scorer in the AHL playoffs with 19 points in 19 games played. And Hamilton didn't even make the finals.
I would really like to somehow get Eller and Palushaj back from Montreal, if it was at all possible. Judging from some of the comments I've seen made by the Hab fans about Eller and Palushaj, I don't think they really know yet just what they have with those two players.

Old
06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I would really like to somehow get Eller and Palushaj back from Montreal, if it was at all possible. Judging from some of the comments I've seen made by the Hab fans about Eller and Palushaj, I don't think they really know yet just what they have with those two players.
Oh, I think the team knows....just not the mainstream fans.

For that matter, I remember how nonplussed I was with the D'Agostini trade (even after last season) but he completely proved himself as being worth it.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
I'm kind of dreading the day Eller becomes the next Saku Koivu in Habsland. Will be totally jealous.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
I'm kind of dreading the day Eller becomes the next Saku Koivu in Habsland. Will be totally jealous.
I here what you're saying, but the Blues did get a nice return in Halak.

Besides, I'm thrilled for both Eller and "Morial" [sic], my new favorite Eastern Conference team.

I hope he tears it up over there and I hope Palushaj can pinball his way to some NHL nets.

Getting one or both of those players back would be a dream come true, but what would it take?

Junland for Palushaj straight up?

Old
06-20-2011, 07:09 PM
OpenIceHit42

I'm stoked to see Brett Ponich make the jump to Peoria. Hoping his knee holds up though.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
BlueBeard

Wasn't there some negative comments on Palushaj that came out from one of the Blue's scouts after the trade? Heck it may be in this thread somewhere I will have to check on that.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Wasn't there some negative comments on Palushaj that came out from one of the Blue's scouts after the trade? Heck it may be in this thread somewhere I will have to check on that.
If I recall it might have been Strickland trying to burn a bridge just to seem knowledgeable on the subject.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
If I recall it might have been Strickland trying to burn a bridge just to seem knowledgeable on the subject.
Yeah, I don't remember any credible quotes to that effect, but Strickland said some speculative thing that was in poor taste. I think it was a good trade for both clubs.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
I believe Strickland said that the organization felt that Palushaj had flat lined.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:44 PM
BlueBeard

Ahh yeah that's it. Very odd comment since he did not have much time to really play. He had his foot lacerated in Blues camp and a high ankle sprain not too far into the AHL season. I guess that's just Strickland being Strickland...

Not that I am complaining about getting D'Ags I just always liked Palushaj.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:43 PM
execwrite

Derek Nesbitt re-signs with Rivermen, one year, one way.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Baby Blues

Have this in another post, but looks this one is used also for updates:

Here's how the Peoria roster stands as of today with signed players and a couple RFAs:

Goalies:
Allen
Bishop (RFA; Peoria/StL)

Forwards:
Sterling
Hensick
Nesbitt
Della Rovere
Nigro
Shattock
Peluso
Hagel
Barriball
Sonne
Polacek
McRae (Peoria/StL)
Reaves (RFA; Peoria/StL)
Porter (Peoria/StL)
Cracknell

Defense:
Evans
Cundari
Ponich
Gannon
Shields
Fairchild
Cole (Peoria/StL)

If Bishop is in StL, then obviously need to fill that slot. Overall, many spots already filled, but still need a couple AHL vets to be competitive (Mink, Arsene types). The D is very young, so would expect at least 1 vet signed. The only proven scorers are Hensick and Draz (whose return is now in doubt). Need a big body type to get the garbage goals (ie Mink).

Last edited by Baby Blues: 07-04-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Drazenovic removed; Sterling added
Old
06-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Have this in another post, but looks this one is used also for updates:

Here's how the Peoria roster stands as of today with signed players and a couple RFAs:

Goalies:
Allen
Bishop (RFA; Peoria/StL)

Forwards:
Hensick
Nesbitt
Della Rovere
Nigro
Shattock
Peluso
Hagel
Barriball
Sonne
Polacek
Drazenovic (RFA not given a QO so return is less likely)
McRae (Peoria/StL)
Reaves (RFA; Peoria/StL)
Porter (Peoria/StL)
Cracknell

Defense:
Evans
Cundari
Ponich
Gannon
Shields
Fairchild
Cole (Peoria/StL)

If Bishop is in StL, then obviously need to fill that slot. Overall, many spots already filled, but still need a couple AHL vets to be competitive (Mink, Arsene types). The D is very young, so would expect at least 1 vet signed. The only proven scorers are Hensick and Draz (whose return is now in doubt). Need a big body type to get the garbage goals (ie Mink).
1. Is Polacek signed for next season? Source?

2. What about Daryl Boyle? I thought I read someplace that the Rivermen re-signed him as well.

3. If Perron comes back 100% next year, it's likely that Grachev could end up in Peoria. There's your big body to put in front of the net...

Old
07-01-2011, 05:12 AM
execwrite

Quote:
1. Is Polacek signed for next season? Source?

2. What about Daryl Boyle? I thought I read someplace that the Rivermen re-signed him as well.

3. If Perron comes back 100% next year, it's likely that Grachev could end up in Peoria. There's your big body to put in front of the net...
This was in pjstar.com last March

... and also signed college prospect Chase Polacek.

Polacek signed an AHL tryout contract for the remainder of this season and also was signed to a full one-way AHL contract for 2011-2012.

The 5-foot-8, 165-pound skilled center has 21 goals and 27 assists in 38 games with RPI.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
This was in pjstar.com last March

... and also signed college prospect Chase Polacek.

Polacek signed an AHL tryout contract for the remainder of this season and also was signed to a full one-way AHL contract for 2011-2012.

The 5-foot-8, 165-pound skilled center has 21 goals and 27 assists in 38 games with RPI.
Thanks for providing that info. Boyle was listed as a UFA and I haven't heard anything on him returning to Peoria.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Baby Blues

Also, per NHL.com, Drazenovic has signed with Columbus, so I'll take him off the list above.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
stlweir

Future Blues bash brothers

This is a best case scenario but watching Ponich and Edmundson's You Tube fights these two big boys are true policeman types who stand up for their teamates and will take on all comers. They are both very good fighters and huge. Down the road, 2-4 years if they develope they would give the Blues a huge toughness factor. Speaking of fighters I'd like to see Beach try to play hockey and be a policeman his last year of juniors instead of looking for a fight every time he steps on the ice.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Blues sign Brett Sterling
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=67806

Hes a prolific scorer at the AHL level, but only 5'6"-5'7". 3G, 2 A in 7 games with the Pens last season.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:06 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post

Hes a prolific scorer at the AHL level, but only 5'6"-5'7". 3G, 2 A in 7 games with the Pens last season.
A lot of PIMs in his NHL games for such a little guy. What's with that?

Old
07-04-2011, 06:52 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post

Eminian loves this signing.

PEORIA —

The Peoria Rivermen landed the biggest free agent of their AHL era on Sunday and one of the most high-profile free agents in their franchise history when the parent club St. Louis Blues signed sniper Brett Sterling to a one-year, NHL-AHL contract.

Sterling will have a chance to make the Blues team in the fall, but the veteran goalscoring ace projects to join All-Star center T.J. Hensick in Peoria to form a showcase scoring line.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Eminian loves this signing.

PEORIA

The Peoria Rivermen landed the biggest free agent of their AHL era on Sunday and one of the most high-profile free agents in their franchise history when the parent club St. Louis Blues signed sniper Brett Sterling to a one-year, NHL-AHL contract.

Sterling will have a chance to make the Blues team in the fall, but the veteran goalscoring ace projects to join All-Star center T.J. Hensick in Peoria to form a showcase scoring line.
Quote:
Sterling has merely piled up 28 goals, 15 assists and a +17 rating in 34 career games against the Rivermen.
hah, 28 goals in 34 games, crazy.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:50 AM
spd

As a Rivermen STH, I was glad to see Sterling leave Chicago. He seemed to score at will against Peoria. It will be great to have that type of scorer in Peoria. I would like to see them sign Mink or a guy like him to put on the line with Sterling and Hensick.

Peoria's roster is looking pretty good. I hope they resign Arsene and Oystrick. Arsene was a great leader and Oystick put up some good numbers and was great on the power play.

Closed Thread