HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for a new stick!

Old
07-04-2011, 05:07 PM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Looking for a new stick!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new stick since my secondary stick snapped. Any suggestions? Since it will only be secondary, i'm not looking out to dish lots of money for a stick (150-200 CAD$ tops -> my friend can give me a discount ).

I'm personally intrigued with the Bauer Vapor X40 and the Easton EQ30. However, I just passed by CCM's U+ Crazy Ovechkin stick. Has anybody used the Crazy Ovie curve? I'm just looking for opinions on the sticks mentioned above and I'm open for suggestions.

If it helps, I consider myself more of a passer. I RARELY use a slap-shot so a stick for wrist-shots and snap-shots is what I need.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
RichNash61

vCash: 500
Rbk 9K or 10K is the stick to have. Two release points greats for snap shots!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
ponder

In terms of good sticks that can be had for a decent bit less than the real top of the line sticks:
- Older Warrior Dolomites are on sale, awesome sticks (the ones with the dragon graphic)
- Easton SE16s are on sale too, great sticks too
- I've seen quite a few Bauer X50s on sale too, also great sticks
- For more mid-range sticks, I like the Bauer one80
- People seem to be liking the Sherwood T90, it's their top of the line stick but is still cheap, around $130. Haven't used it myself though

The Crazy Ovie curve is, well, crazy, it's basically his actual curve. A lot, and I mean a lot of people are gonna have trouble with it. I personally have experimented with open toe curves, but I shoot much, MUCH better with mid and heel curves, like the Easton Drury (or clones), Easton Sakic (or clones), Bauer P106, Bauer P88, etc. Really depends on your technique, what curve do you shoot best with now? If you have trouble keeping your shots down I would stay far, far away from the crazy ovie.

Rbk make good sticks too, but from what I've seen the blades seem to have some durability issues (seen quite a few teammates Rbk blades fall apart at the toe, at least on mid range, older models), and they seem to run a bit stiffer than advertised too IMO.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:11 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNash61 View Post
This.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

The Crazy Ovie curve is, well, crazy, it's basically his actual curve. A lot, and I mean a lot of people are gonna have trouble with it. I personally have experimented with open toe curves, but I shoot much, MUCH better with mid and heel curves, like the Easton Drury (or clones), Easton Sakic (or clones), Bauer P106, Bauer P88, etc. Really depends on your technique, what curve do you shoot best with now? If you have trouble keeping your shots down I would stay far, far away from the crazy ovie.
Agreed, the Bauer One80 is good, I have one with P14 curve, and I'm planning to buy another one, as it's also pretty cheap.

Cannot really recommend the Crazy Ovie curve to anyone, once tried to shoot with one, and well... can say that that was the only shot.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNash61 View Post
2 release points? And it's going to be hard to find either stick in your price range, maybe if you're lucky but (pre-discount fyi) you'll get some pushing your upper spend limit.

Quote:
In terms of good sticks that can be had for a decent bit less than the real top of the line sticks:
- Older Warrior Dolomites are on sale, awesome sticks (the ones with the dragon graphic)
- Easton SE16s are on sale too, great sticks too
- I've seen quite a few Bauer X50s on sale too, also great sticks
- People seem to be liking the Sherwood T90, it's their top of the line stick but is still cheap, around $130. Haven't used it myself though

Rbk make good sticks too, but from what I've seen the blades seem to have some durability issues (seen quite a few teammates Rbk blades fall apart at the toe, at least on mid range, older models), and they seem to run a bit stiffer than advertised too IMO.
We haven't had any SE16s or X:50s go on sale around here, but all of the highlighted ones are definitely going to be worth the money. Your suggestion of an X:40 is great too, as many believe it to be one of the best price point ($100) sticks on the market.

It's all a matter of finding the right curve and flex for the older sticks and that could be difficult.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
We haven't had any SE16s or X:50s go on sale around here, but all of the highlighted ones are definitely going to be worth the money. Your suggestion of an X:40 is great too, as many believe it to be one of the best price point ($100) sticks on the market.

It's all a matter of finding the right curve and flex for the older sticks and that could be difficult.
Hmm, really? X50s are on clearance everywhere in Vancouver, marked down to $150 CAD from $200 CAD everywhere, good stick too, just on clearance cause the new line (Apx, 7.0, etc.) is coming out soon. Only been marked down recently though. SE16s, on the other hand, have been on clearance for quite awhile (since before the EQ line came out), but they're basically all gone now, only really weird curves/flexes left. Still tonnes of selection in terms of curves/flexes with X50s though, good time to buy.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Hmm, really? X50s are on clearance everywhere in Vancouver, marked down to $150 CAD from $200 CAD everywhere, good stick too, just on clearance cause the new line (Apx, 7.0, etc.) is coming out soon. Only been marked down recently though. SE16s, on the other hand, have been on clearance for quite awhile (since before the EQ line came out), but they're basically all gone now, only really weird curves/flexes left. Still tonnes of selection in terms of curves/flexes with X50s though, good time to buy.
Haha lucky The SE16s are still in the 200s and the X:50 haven't been marked down. But for you guys, the X:50s are a great deal; what is essentially an X:60 save for the carbon weave and the foam core.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Beside finding the right lie, flex and curve, get a stick that gives you a good feel for the puck. This is the most important matter of preference because you'll spend more time stick handling than shooting.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:39 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Sherwood T90's are an excellent stick for the price. Fairly light and Durable.

If you can grab an Easton SE-16 do it, they are solid sticks.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:51 AM
stevenest
Rookie User

Go for RBK 9K iv tried it its awesome.

stevenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:31 AM
AIREAYE

9K Sickick III or 9KO? The sickick III has great value, the only difference between it and the 11K is the fused 2-piece construction

Old
07-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Devil Dancer

The Bauer One95s can be found for relatively cheap these days. They're a couple of years old, but still an excellent, top of the line stick, now for a decent price.

Might be difficult to find though.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
The Bauer One95s can be found for relatively cheap these days. They're a couple of years old, but still an excellent, top of the line stick, now for a decent price.

Might be difficult to find though.
That's the problem. I've tried eagerly to find some, but haven't found yet. The stick itself is one of the best ever made.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:51 PM
ponder

Yeah, the one95 is a great stick, but virtually impossible to find now. In terms of current sticks, the one100 and totalone are reasonably similar, the one80 is basically a poor man's version, but still a nice stick for sure. Surprised by all the love for Rbk sticks here, I don't see many in beer league/drop in hockey in my area. Mostly Bauers and Eastons, some Warriors, and just the odd other brands (CCM, Rbk, Sherwood, TPS, etc.).

Old
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Im really not a fan of the Reeboks. They seem heavy and soft to me.

I do love the New CCM U+ Crazy lights.

The CCM U+CS (crazy strong) is also a solid stick for around 200.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Sigge

I ordered a Bauer Supreme One95 - PM9 for around 100USD.
The site where I found it only had it in the highest flex though, 112, which I assume doesn't sell overly well but it's perfect for me.

Either way, point is that going for a top of the line model from 2-3 years ago (if you can find you flex/curve) is probably quite a good idea!

Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Logie

My current sticks are X:60 and SE16.

Getzlaf curve on my Easton, cant remember the Bauer but its a basic curve closed blade.

Getzlaf curve i find is awersome for wrist and snap shots, i can really get some zip in it, i have no trouble controlling the height despite being a newbie. Also backhanders are not difficult, my 2nd team practice i got an applause for scoring a top corner back hander past the No 1 keeper.

Only problem with that curve is stick handling and passing, X:60 is alot better in that departement, sometimes my passes with the Easton, the puck bobbles but its never happened with the X:60 and i can get more power in them.

Shooting with the X60 is nice for mid to low, but when i try matching the power of the Easton, the puck kind of falls off the blade making the shot weak, that could be down to my technique.

Easton is noticably heavier aswell

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
JustinYS

Alright thanks guys! Il look into it. But I'm wondering, when do the new sticks come out usually for the year? End of summer\beginning of fall? Maybe I should just wait until then?

Old
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
AIREAYE

They are release in October, usually arrive at your store anytime form November to December in time for the holiday season.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:58 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Nevermind price! Get this stick! The new Total one Limited Edition. Great stick and looks incredible.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:43 AM
datsyukianLIKE

i have the crazy ovi i love it definitely have to get use to it but when you switch to any curve you have to get use to it the backhands are super hard to get tho

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Nevermind price! Get this stick! The new Total one Limited Edition. Great stick and looks incredible.

[IMGhttp://www.hockeyworldblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/bauer_supreme_totalone_le_hockey_stick.jpg[/IMG]
No ...

Old
07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Rhaego

CCM U+ Crazy Light is what I'm getting soon.

Anyone know when Landeskog's curve will be availably? (I think he signed with CCM)

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
CCM U+ Crazy Light is what I'm getting soon.

Anyone know when Landeskog's curve will be availably? (I think he signed with CCM)
Where would you find such information? I wonder how many top picks will sign contracts -> Zibanejad .

EDIT: NVM, found it. No Zibanejad Only the 5 top prospects.