HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Brad Richards Part 2

Old
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Aloha. Just curious, do you watch Flyers games at 2pm, or do you DVR them and watch them in the evening? lol
DVR'd 90% of the time. For playoff games (and important ones) I usually start work @ 6am and get off @ 2pm. Not too bad.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
DVR'd 90% of the time. For playoff games (and important ones) I usually start work @ 6am and get off @ 2pm. Not too bad.
Heh a True fan....

but in reality..a TRUE NHL FAN, I respect you sir

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Anyone see the pics of the kid from Rangerstribune partying with Richards, Feds, and Avery?

http://lockerz.com/s/117104424

http://lockerz.com/s/117105911

Gotta love Feds pulling off the white pants haha.
Holy crap, Feds has a squaaaareeeee head.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:19 PM
lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Are those pics taken at Dolan's 4th of July bash he throws each year out east? Perhaps, Richards & Feds were there to sign their contracts??
It was at Dolan's.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
"July 5th - The New York Rangers have an asset they haven't had since the Mark Messier era (1991-1997), and that is, folks: a legitimate, high-end, #1 centerman. Who is that centerman, you might ask? Well, it's none other than 31-year old PEI native Brad Richards, a man subject to many trade rumours over the past season, many that involved a deal that would send him to the Rangers at the trade deadline -- but that never materialized, as it was clear that his intention was to sign with his former head coach, John Tortorella's, team. On July 2nd, 2011, Richards agreed to sign a 9 year, $60 million dollar deal..."

Read more...

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-05-2011 at 05:51 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Hemlawk86

I guess I'm the only NYR fan thats not excited about Richards?

This is typical Rangers thinking, buy the biggest name.

Whatever, I still love my team and cant wait for the season to start.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk86 View Post

Whatever, I still love my team and cant wait for the season to start.
So because they went out and addressed a NEED, it's "typical Rangers"?

So they aren't allowed to ever go out and get a big name?

Alrighty then...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk86 View Post

Well, I think it actually is a bit different this time. It's not just that Richards was the biggest name, but also the best fit for the teams needs. They really really needed a #1 center and a PP QB. Richards is both of those things, and he's the kind of center that they need to work with a guy like Gaborik.

Yes it's the Rangers grabbing the top UFA once again, but this time it seems to be more a case of filling a hole on an already established team rather than just grabbing the best UFA without regard to how that player will fit into the team.

I'm more excited to see how next season goes in general, should be interesting.

I do think we'll see a drop in production from guys like Boyle and Prust, because they'll be relied upon less if there's a legitimate 1st line going, but they'll still have important roles on the team

edit: And Lindros was a #1 center for the Rangers...for as long as he managed to play for them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Chimp

I can't blame Sather for signing Richards. I don't think I have to, most people in here seem ecstatic about the signing.

My view on it? Richards has a need to fill, sure. Like so many teams, we lack(ed) a #1 center. How well he does it, is a whole other thing. I don't see Richards as a team carrying type. He's not the key sort you win cups with, not if he's supposed to be on the front line. How is he going to gel with Gaborik? A comfort is, Torts knows exactly what he gets here. That's a big comfort actually, he should know how to put Richards in game situations where he excels. Very good cap hit considering he's UFA, bad years, but you always have to overpay somewhere for an UFA.

I'm hesitant about this signing. Did his concussion hamper his performance level? Carefully positive, you might say. I hope for the best, but expect the worst. But hey, it's not like I go over this thing, like I did with the Fumblez and Dreary signings. Richards is actually a legit 1st liner, that's a comfort.

Just don't hype the expectations on him into fantasy.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He's not the key sort you win cups with
One would think his Conn Smythe would tend to differ.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
My view on it? Richards has a need to fill, sure. Like so many teams, we lack(ed) a #1 center. How well he does it, is a whole other thing. I don't see Richards as a team carrying type.
But I don't think he's coming into this team in a situation where he needs to carry the team. The Rangers already have a solid core of players that carried the team to the playoffs last year...Richards just needs to do his thing and help out. Getting a good player doesn't automatically mean that player has to put the team on his shoulders and drag them to the cup. Richards just needs to be part of the team, we don't need any Messier like guarantees and stuff like that.

It'd be different if the Rangers were weak on depth and absolutely needed that top line to be out there half the game scoring goals and the other lines only existed to give them a rest, but that's not he case here.

Quote:
I'm hesitant about this signing. Did his concussion hamper his performance level? Carefully positive, you might say. I hope for the best, but expect the worst. But hey, it's not like I go over this thing, like I did with the Fumblez and Dreary signings. Richards is actually a legit 1st liner, that's a comfort.

Just don't hype the expectations on him into fantasy.
I don't think the concussion hurts him...he's had plenty of time to recover completely and it wasn't such a huge concussion that he was out for a long long time (like I worry a little about Crosby's because it was two bad hits close together and then he was out for a long time). He should be healthy, and there have been a pretty fair amount of players who have gotten a concussion but haven't had it affect them in the long run.

I agree that expectations of Richards should be kept reasonable though. I'm expecting him to be around a point per game, not a 90+ point center. While I think he and Gaborik are a good fit on paper, I wouldn't automatically assume that they'll both push each other to new scoring heights and Gaborik scores 50+ and Richards gets 90+ points. I look for both of them to come in at about their career averages. If they do better than that, it's just bonus

Old
07-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
One would think his Conn Smythe would tend to differ.
Being the best player in a tournament and carrying a team are two different things. When you take Chimp's quote in its entirety, it's a valid concern. Can Richards carry this team to a Cup? We'll see.

Quote:
I don't see Richards as a team carrying type. He's not the key sort you win cups with, not if he's supposed to be on the front line.
EDIT: I do agree with Levitate though, I don't think he'll really have to carry this team. I think having a player like Richards pushes everyone down a line, which redistributes the talent to the more appropriate 2nd/3rd lines. The team lacked top end talent for the 1st line. With Gabby and Richards together, that need has been addressed. I think the bigger question mark is Gabby. If he doesn't click with Richards, it creates another line scramble...which in turn could create another season of chemistry issues.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 07-05-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Levitate

I'll be honest and say I don't think you really WANT one player carrying your team. You need the whole team doing their jobs...once a player has to start carrying the team, you're in trouble.

``

Old
07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'll be honest and say I don't think you really WANT one player carrying your team. You need the whole team doing their jobs...once a player has to start carrying the team, you're in trouble.

``
you definitely don't want one player carrying the team and want a balanced attack. if you are carried by 1 guy and he gets hurt or struggles then you are screwed...but you DO want 1 or 2 go-to-guys that you can turn to to put the team on his back in certain situations.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Richards went to pick up his $10M signing bonus check.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Picked up a check? I would think a transaction like that would be in the firm of a DD transfer.

That must be one pretty check!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

$10M signing bonus. $2M salary. 11-12 numbers. $8M signing bonus. $4M salary. 12-13 numbers. Richards gets $20M in 12 months. Protects him against any possible labor issue when CBA expires 9/15/12

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

is there a scheduled press conference?

Is richards definitely wearing #19?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
$10M signing bonus. $2M salary. 11-12 numbers. $8M signing bonus. $4M salary. 12-13 numbers. Richards gets $20M in 12 months. Protects him against any possible labor issue when CBA expires 9/15/12
Wonder if the Rangers were the only team offering that structure.

If so, I like it.

That said, the Rangers have had problems with players in the past regarding this type of payout.

Holik and Ortmeyer pop into mind.

Either way, I think it's a great way to use your financial superiority over teams like LA and Calgary (not like he was going there anyway)

Excited about this signing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Here's my take on this.

Richards signing should be looked at more a way for the Rangers to give the core/nucleus an added weapon to help make them better.

Richards is a nice addition, but the team still belongs to Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Lundqvist, Anisimov, Stepan, Prust, Girardi, McD, Sauer.

Richards is a nice complimentary player that can generate offence consistently.

His presense is going to make it difficult to defend against just the Pack Line.

I do not expect him to carry this team. He will lead the team in points, but the wins and losses are going to be dependant upon the kids that play in every situation, not just the #1 center and PPQB

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

Not unless Fedotenko relinquishes it.

I like 91 better anyway.... 19 reminds me of Blomez.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

I asked Jim Cerny on Sunday if anyone knew what number he would wear, and he said it wasn't known yet. Hopefully we find out soon.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Is he really wearing 19. Wth is wrong with 91?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
John Torturella

What does it matter if he wears 19? A Number is meaningless. Its really stupid to cry about what number a player picks.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Is he really wearing 19. Wth is wrong with 91?
He only changed to 91 in dallas because 19 is retired by the stars for bill masterton. so now that 19 is an option he might want to go back to it...

he wore 39 in juniors. i'm not sure if 19 has any special meaning to him...

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote