Notices

The Cat and The Kid

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 05:07 AM
Jeff from Maine

vCash: 500
The Cat and The Kid

I`ll tell ya what...Felix Potvin is The Man!

This is now 2 games that he has completely STOLEN points in! Against NJ, there is NO WAY we deserved that point....

And against the Kings, it should have been 6-0 by the mid point of that game!

Against all that PP pressure (3 5 on 3`s) he stood tall, was completely composed and he COMMUNICATED!

I think that, roght now, is the difference between Potvin and Raycroft.

Both are composed goalies who dont often get "nervous". Both are solid technically.

But Potvin communicates exceptionallt well with his defenders...he is constantly communicating both verbally and non-verbally. Directing them around the goal...SUPER at that facet of the goalie game.

And was I the only one who noticed how animated he was when he was exhorting, I believe it was Gill to get to a puck for an icing?

He was 5 feet out of his crease waving his stick and blocker at him to bust ass!

THAT is the type of experience that we need.

Raycroft will get that in time, but as for the here and now, Potvin is it.

Good thing to have huh?

2 goalies that you have full confidence in!

And the Kid....man, Bergeron looked quite decent.

He plays fundamental hockey...there was absolutely NOTHING special about the assists or the goal....littel drop pass and keeping your stick on the ice.

But thats the beauty of it! He doesnt do the flashy things...all he does is keep it simple.

I hope though, that they have him on a serious weight program, because he gets pushed and shoved all over hell!

Gamewise, he is obviously ready for the NHL. But physically, he isnt anywhere near ready to play at this level for the long haul...based on what I have seen.

I think he will stick, but he had better be on a serious weight trainning, supplementation and dietary program! He needs to pack on about 15 lbs of muscle!

Later

Old
10-19-2003, 05:14 AM
Bruwinz37

He plays fundamental hockey...there was absolutely NOTHING special about the assists or the goal....littel drop pass and keeping your stick on the ice.

But thats the beauty of it! He doesnt do the flashy things...all he does is keep it simple.

I hope though, that they have him on a serious weight program, because he gets pushed and shoved all over hell!

Gamewise, he is obviously ready for the NHL. But physically, he isnt anywhere near ready to play at this level for the long haul...based on what I have seen.

I think he will stick, but he had better be on a serious weight trainning, supplementation and dietary program! He needs to pack on about 15 lbs of muscle!

Later
------------------------------------------------

Quite decent? Is that a compliment? He has been one of the best 3 forwards on the ice every game I have seen (missed the opener). I dont see him getting pushed around nearly as much as you do. Naturally he will grow...he is 18 years old...any 18 year old will grow.

Oh.....and remembering back to training camp when you told us not to get excited because there was no chance any of those players would help us this year..........well....how does your foot taste??

Old
10-19-2003, 05:20 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
I`ll tell ya what...Felix Potvin is The Man!

This is now 2 games that he has completely STOLEN points in! Against NJ, there is NO WAY we deserved that point....

And against the Kings, it should have been 6-0 by the mid point of that game!

Against all that PP pressure (3 5 on 3`s) he stood tall, was completely composed and he COMMUNICATED!

I think that, roght now, is the difference between Potvin and Raycroft.

Both are composed goalies who dont often get "nervous". Both are solid technically.

But Potvin communicates exceptionallt well with his defenders...he is constantly communicating both verbally and non-verbally. Directing them around the goal...SUPER at that facet of the goalie game.

And was I the only one who noticed how animated he was when he was exhorting, I believe it was Gill to get to a puck for an icing?

He was 5 feet out of his crease waving his stick and blocker at him to bust ass!

THAT is the type of experience that we need.

Raycroft will get that in time, but as for the here and now, Potvin is it.

Good thing to have huh?

2 goalies that you have full confidence in!

Later
couldn't have said it better; I asked a buddy of mine about Potvin last week and he told me the Broons are very impressed with him as a person. I thought that was common knowledge but I guess once they got him here they found out for themselves. I would think as of this morning they have to be ecstatic with their tenders- from Tim Thomas and Hannu to the play of Raycroft and Potvin. Amazing how we were so worried about them and I just don't see it as luck but good positioning and talent.

As for Bergeron, he will just have to let nature do its course with his body although eating and workouts will help significantly. I have to think in a year or two if he continues to develop he could be an outstanding player- the key word is player; he seems to have what you can't teach.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:35 AM
Jeff from Maine

Not Totally Correct Bruwinz

Your mostly correct Bruwinz, but not totally.

I never said NONE of these kids would help!

I have been Jillsons biggest supporter when the rest of the board was ripping him last year!

And I continue this year.

As far as how my foot tastes....pretty good bud

But come back and talk to me after game 80, and lets reevaluate how much Bergeron "helps" this team over the LONG HAUL!

P.S. About my saying that he is pretty decent. Top 3 in each game is a HUGE stretch to me! But thats your POV, so be it.

But I say pretty decent, because as I have watched the games, Bergeron is often invisible out there! He is NOT a differnence maker yet! The goals he was involved with....McCarthy MADE that goal with thw laser and the ass busting to get to the goal...the drop pass is a fundamental thing...nothing special at all about it! Rollie scored because he put the puck on net! Bergeron got a peripheral assist on it....players do that all the time. It was the type of assist that didnt involve ANY grinding, needle threading or anything...it was just a simple 6-10 foot pass under no pressure!

Thats why I say that he is pretty decent because he plays with the fundamentals and doesnt hurt himself or the team! But I will also say that he has been a difference maker for this team yet! He isnt the guy who will gringd for the puck and hold ituntil someone finds a seam...he isnt the guy who will throw a hit that changes a game!

He HAS been a very solid contributer in EACH game...just as Donato has! They both forecheck hard and do all the fundamental things well.
Neither do anything fancy or flashy. All they do is forecheck and make the smart pass!

Both have been pretty decent...which YES, Bruwinz...IS a compliment. It means that you do your job without flash.

Later

Old
10-19-2003, 06:04 AM
neelynugs

i agree- potvin was super last night. and hopefully he and rayzor continue their solid goaltending.

as for bergeron, well, what can i say- the kid impresses me bigtime. i agree with jeff's point that his assists were more the product of the goalscorer, but that goal was HUGE. he was in the right place (as he most always seems to be), and he didn't hold the stick too tight- slapped it home, and acted as if he scored 300 goals in this league afterwards. this kid is good, and he's all class. he definitely needs to add about 15-20 pounds of muscle, but imagine what he'll be like when he does

people may cringe when i say this, but bergeron reminds me of stumpel. the only difference to me is that bergeron skates a little better and seems to care more. for all you stumpel bashers, i hope you don't take this the wrong way. i liked the guy a great deal, and think he was a very solid 2 way guy. his only problem was he looked as if he'd rather be watching a slovakian figure skating tournament
anyhow, i think bergeron with sammy and lapointe is the way to go, and hopefully sully will see to it that it happens.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Still a Bruin fan

I thought it was telling Bergeron didn't soil himself with the puck there at his feet.
He calmly got his stick angled to flip the puck into the net.
Believe it, there are a lot of forwards who wouldn't have scored that goal.

2 of the glove saves by Potvin were ridiculous.
That wasn't a case of a goalie embelishing a glove save as often happens.
Those were supposed to be goals.
I'm not crazy about how deep he plays in net, but I like the character and potential to solidify the spot as a #1 guy as he's done in the past, and as a mentor for Raycroft.

No shots faced the 2nd half of the game, though.
The Kings still probably should have scored 5-7 goals with the chances they had with the power plays.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Bruins4877

I didn't get to see last night's game or the replay so I haven't seen how well Potvin kept the boys in it for myself. From what I've seen from him, he's shown that he can keep the team in it long enough for the forwards to get going and put some pucks in the net. Of course, their steady parade to the penalty box(whether by bad reffing or plain stupidity on their part) needs to stop before it becomes the achilles heel of this team. We're what, five games into the season and I wouldn't be surprised if the B's are on the high end of penalty minutes. That really has to stop.

From what you guys were saying last night, Bergeron didn't look out of place with Sammy or Lapointe. Could be the second line we've been looking for, but Sullivan needs to let them play more. Hopefully it wasn't a one night deal. I'm looking forward to the game tonight. Let's hope the penalty box parade has ended...

Old
10-19-2003, 07:12 AM
DBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i agree with jeff's point that his assists were more the product of the goalscorer,
Tons and tons of assists in the NHL are product of the goalscorer, certainly not all, but alot of assists in the NHL are, just like the ones Bergeron got tonight. He played like a star player last night, IMO.

And Jeff did you catch when Bergeron skated down a icing call and made a beautiful pass out to Rolston in the slot which almost resulted in a goal. That goal would have been all him if it did go in but it didn't, so no credit goes to him for it.

He's a smart player and will avoid all the grinding he has to do, but make no mistake he will grind and has grind before. He's a thinking man's hockey player, his game is to be invisible and not take huge risks out there that make players get noticed. He don't try to skate through players and try moves that only work 50% of the time.

He may not have made an impact on the other 4 games, but last night he made an impact. He was a difference maker out there.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
people may cringe when i say this, but bergeron reminds me of stumpel. the only difference to me is that bergeron skates a little better and seems to care more.
I'm happy you say this, because i hesitated before writing this, He remind me a bit of Craig Janney . but I hope he'll be more physical than Janney.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:49 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL
Tons and tons of assists in the NHL are product of the goalscorer, certainly not all, but alot of assists in the NHL are, just like the ones Bergeron got tonight. He played like a star player last night, IMO.

And Jeff did you catch when Bergeron skated down a icing call and made a beautiful pass out to Rolston in the slot which almost resulted in a goal. That goal would have been all him if it did go in but it didn't, so no credit goes to him for it.

He's a smart player and will avoid all the grinding he has to do, but make no mistake he will grind and has grind before. He's a thinking man's hockey player, his game is to be invisible and not take huge risks out there that make players get noticed. He don't try to skate through players and try moves that only work 50% of the time.

He may not have made an impact on the other 4 games, but last night he made an impact. He was a difference maker out there.
agreed- i think i was taken out of context a little here though- i thought bergeron played a great game myself, but i was mainly saying that i was more impressed with: his goal, the play you spoke of (beating the icing, which i heard on radio- didn't see it), his smarts. the assists to rolston and mccarthy were simple plays, but i suppose it's the simple plays that win games now, isn't it? one thing almost all of us DO agree on is that patty bergeron is gonna be some kind of player

Old
10-19-2003, 07:54 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Hey Jeff...

"The Cat and The Kid"...

I like that ...catchy...

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-19-2003, 07:56 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
Hey Jeff...

"The Cat and The Kid"...

I like that ...catchy...
inspiration for a poem there wally?

10-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Jeff from Maine

Odds and Ends

Odds and ends...

1. Gee Wally... The Cat and The Kid. Thanks. I was thinking of Itchy and Scratchy, but that was already taken. And Beavis and Butthead just didnt fit

2. ShadowL...I did see that play and I LOVED it! All out hustle is what it was. I didnt agree with Brick when he described it as a "poor pass" that hit a stick, however. As far as your assertation that he was a difference maker last night....I would agree ONLY if you say it because he scored the tying goal. The assists were nothing special and had they not led to goals, NOBODY would have said anything about them being even decent passes. The icing run down and keeping his stick on the ice were the best things he did all night. Thats not difference making stuff, IMHO. Thats why I say he played a pretty decent game, not difference making. He did what he was SUPPOSED to do, and didnt hurt the team. But he didnt do anything at a real high level! But he doesnt have to...he just has to play fundamentally sound!

3. neelynugs....Funny, but when I was watching that game last night, the comparison of Stumpel and Bergeron was EXACTLY what I was thinking! Weird, huh? Patric plays the EXACT same typ of game as Stumpel. He doesnt skate hard at all, other than the odd time like that icing play. He doesnt get near the physical stuff. he gets back into his own zone...just doesnt do it was well as Stumpel does (but thats a rookie thing, he will without question get MUCH better at it!) and he is deft with the passing. Bergeron will become Stumpel in a year or 2!

4. I agree with all here...Bergeron will become a great player soon!

Later

Old
10-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
inspiration for a poem there wally?

could be Jesus...

but I'll leave that to wickedbsfan.. He's the poet laureate of this board.

I'd probably do no better than a dirty limerick..

Old
10-19-2003, 08:28 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
could be Jesus...

but I'll leave that to wickedbsfan.. He's the poet laureate of this board.

I'd probably do no better than a dirty limerick..

Do I hear a little Dr. Seussian ditty in the making?
Sorta "One Puck, Two Puck, Black and Gold Puck!"

Old
10-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
The assists were nothing special and had they not led to goals, NOBODY would have said anything about them being even decent passes. The icing run down and keeping his stick on the ice were the best things he did all night. Thats not difference making stuff, IMHO. Thats why I say he played a pretty decent game, not difference making. He did what he was SUPPOSED to do, and didnt hurt the team. But he didnt do anything at a real high level! But he doesnt have to...he just has to play fundamentally sound!
I take kind of the opposite point of view...when the B's were still down last night and I was looking for ANYTHING positive out of the team, one of the things I noticed was Bergeron's playmaking. He sent 2 or 3 decent passes from the right side to players in front of the Kings goal. They didn't end up being converted, but I said to my brother (who was watching the game with me), "Man, Bergeron really has that crossing pass wired."

In other words, Bergeron's play stood out to me even when things weren't going well.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:58 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
I'm not crazy about how deep he plays in net
That's the interesting thing about Potvin: he plays a very unorthodox style, but one completely unlike Hasek. He keeps himself deep in the net to give himself that extra millisecond to snap out a limb and stop the puck, rather than taking it in his body. That's one of the reasons why he really earns his nickname - he's a complete reactionary goaltender, relying almost entirely on reflex. And it works.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:58 AM
ron jeremy jacobs

Did anyone else catch the fact that Bergeron made the pass to Rolston on his goal vs. the Ducks last night with his feet? After he stole the puck in the corner and his pass to the point was deflected, he went to the net to create traffic for Boynton's shot. The puck came right to him on his backhand and in his skates in an awkward spot, and in a blink of an eye, probably without thinking, he killed the momentum on the puck and put it right on Rolston's tape for a one-timer. Based on the way Rolston was pointing at him, it seems obvious that Rolston at least thought he made that play on purpose.

Nobody on the telecast caught it or mentioned it, so maybe I saw it wrong. But I don't think so... That was a helluva play for an eighteen year old player to make. If Bergeron had been hyped prior to the draft like some of these guys tend to be, we would be seeing that replay all over Canada, and maybe even here in the US.

I think they should stick Sammy with him and see what happens. They looked good together on Saturday on the PP. And poor Sammy is going to go nuts playing with Born Third Liners Marty LaPointe and Travis Green.

Joe, Murray, Knuble
Bergeron, Sammy, Hilbert/Huml/Samuelsson or someone we aquire
Rolston, Axelsson, LaPointe

Old
10-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron jeremy jacobs
That was a helluva play for an eighteen year old player to make. If Bergeron had been hyped prior to the draft like some of these guys tend to be, we would be seeing that replay all over Canada, and maybe even here in the US.
Very true.

Because of the lack of hype, few outside of QMJHL fans are talking about him on the other boards, but Bergeron is really opening eyes of those who see him play.

Closed Thread