HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Standings Predictions 2011-2012

Old
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

vCash: 500
just re: isles-
the isles are jekyll and hydes.

give em a good goalie situation and they'll make it interesting all year long. i can see them finishing 8th or 9th. guys will mature, but again, it'll come down to goaltending.

given em a bad goalie situation and they'll be lucky to finish in the top 11.

i'd have to say that any team from 5 on below COULD BE interchangable, other than the bottom three.

1- Pittsburgh
2- Boston
3- Washington
4- Tampa
5- Montreal
6- Buff
7- Rangers
8- Carolina
9- Islanders
10- NJ
11- Toronto
12- Winnipeg
13- Ottawa
14- Florida

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i'd have to say that any team from 5 on below COULD BE interchangable, other than the bottom three.
My exact thoughts when I threw together my list. WAS, PIT, BOS, and TAM look to the cream of the crop next year while OTT, FLA, and WPG look to be the bottom three. Btwn those two groups, anything seems possible at the moment. Big questions are how BUF spending spree pans out, will PHI fall like a lot of us seem to think they will, will NJD continue their second half surge from last year, will MON regret the Cole contract, will CAR regret letting go Cole go, is Connoly healthy and Reimer the real deal in TOR, will Gaborik stay healthy, and will the NYI finally stabilize their crease?

Can't wait for October.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:43 PM
islandersfan1677

1- Pittsburgh
2- Boston
3- Washington
4- Tampa
5- Buffalo
6- Rangers
7- Islanders
8- Carolina
9- Montreal
10- NJ
11- Toronto
12- Winnipeg
13- Ottawa
14- Florida

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

There is absolutely no way this team makes the playoffs. But, I understand we're all on a fantasy trip, so dream on.

I won't venture the entire standings, but these teams are a lock:

TAM
BUF
MON
WAS
PIT
PHI
NYR

That's 7 teams I am fairly confident will have no problem making it. That leaves 1 spot for the rest of us.. and I can't say we are any better than NJD, FLA, TML.

So, you see where the problem lies.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
There is absolutely no way this team makes the playoffs. But, I understand we're all on a fantasy trip, so dream on.

TAM
BUF
MON
WAS
PIT
PHI
NYR

That's 7 teams I am fairly confident will have no problem making it. That leaves 1 spot for the rest of us.. and I can't say we are any better than NJD, FLA, TML.

Welp, I would generally say you're right, but I need some convincing on several fronts. At this point I'd say the following with regards to what you wrote.
1) Until Crosby is back on the ice and to himself, and until Malkin shows that the ACL and MCL tears haven't slowed him down, Pittsburgh is no guarantee. I do NOT trust that group to go 82 games without the fully recovered top 2 centers and still make the playoffs.
2) Philly is VERY enticing, but unless at least one of Schenn or Couturier is ready to contribute 50 points, this team is going to have some problems up the middle. Giroux was good as a winger with the duties spread out, but he' gonna suffer from the extra responsibility.
3) As always, a long-term injury to either Lundqvist or Gaborik, and this team is a questionmark. Even when completely healthy, the team can be a beast one night, and a disgrace the next.
4) I'd hardly say Buffalo is a given. Like with Lundqvist, if Miller plays less than 50 games, the team is not a playoff team. Roy still has to prove capable again and Connolly will not be easily replaced.
5) Can't see Montreal being any better than it has been. Again, much will have to go well and the oft-injured Cole finally brings size, but will need to develop chemistry. We've seen how little he does when he's not playing with Eric Staal.

This can all change in the course of the summer.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Welp, I would generally say you're right, but I need some convincing on several fronts. At this point I'd say the following with regards to what you wrote.
1) Until Crosby is back on the ice and to himself, and until Malkin shows that the ACL and MCL tears haven't slowed him down, Pittsburgh is no guarantee. I do NOT trust that group to go 82 games without the fully recovered top 2 centers and still make the playoffs.
2) Philly is VERY enticing, but unless at least one of Schenn or Couturier is ready to contribute 50 points, this team is going to have some problems up the middle. Giroux was good as a winger with the duties spread out, but he' gonna suffer from the extra responsibility.
3) As always, a long-term injury to either Lundqvist or Gaborik, and this team is a questionmark. Even when completely healthy, the team can be a beast one night, and a disgrace the next.
4) I'd hardly say Buffalo is a given. Like with Lundqvist, if Miller plays less than 50 games, the team is not a playoff team. Roy still has to prove capable again and Connolly will not be easily replaced.
5) Can't see Montreal being any better than it has been. Again, much will have to go well and the oft-injured Cole finally brings size, but will need to develop chemistry. We've seen how little he does when he's not playing with Eric Staal.

This can all change in the course of the summer.
1) The Penguins have a Jack Adams nominee one year, and a winner the next. Dan Bylsma had this team playing top notch hockey without their two best hockey players. Most think Fluery is overrated, this is a guy who is more than capable of being the guy they rely on until the other "big 2" get there act together. The Pens are an absolute lock for the playoffs, and I'm almost positive that 1 of them will be ready by training camp.

2) They are banking on Giroux and VanReims to take the natural progression forward. Giroux is an absolute stud, who were he on the Islanders,would be our second best forward behind Tavares. JVR is a BIG body with SICK hands. They got back the best prospect not in hockey, Schenn, Voracek (big boy with tons of talent) and they sured up a position they will only go to regret come the playoffs. They are a lock.

3) We hate on the Rags all the time. I don't view them as a Stanley Cup contender, but they will be in the playoffs. They do have one of the best pairings in Staal-Girardi (Sum over the parts, here) and Henrik is always, the X factor. He has reduced his bad streaks and sometimes goes months on months as an absolute wall. Anyone saying the Rangers won't be there come game 83 is, well, being foolish and naive.

4) Buffalo has Ryan Miller in net, one of the best goaltenders in the world, and although I do not agree with the contracts handed out this offseason, they still were able to get better. Ehrhoff makes them better, Leino makes them bigger, stronger.. and better. There defense is deep.. and when a guy like Myers is Number 2 on your D-Chart, you are in fabulous condition.

5) Carey Price and Subban would be two of the Islanders' best players. Montreal receives criticism every off season, and I can't figure out why.. because they always make it. Gomez, although overpaid and overrated, is still a solid top center for them, and Cammy, although small, will still be good for 60-80 points.

The Islanders, are one of the few teams in the entire NHL, who took no strides to get better.

If we are relying on "natural progression", that's fine.. but the talent is not abundant enough. John Tavares is poised for a 80-90 point season, and the rest will fall somewhere on the line.

Montoya? Dipietro? Nabokov? Poulin?

Can't have those types of question marks heading into a season where you expect to compete for the playoffs.

I'm not advocating for a lottery finish, but if the Islanders did place in the lottery, they would be absolutely stacked beyond belief in prospects. At some point, Garth will have to send a few of them elsewhere to develop so we can land a top flight hockey player.

Because aside from Tavares, we have NONE.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
My exact thoughts when I threw together my list. WAS, PIT, BOS, and TAM look to the cream of the crop next year while OTT, FLA, and WPG look to be the bottom three. Btwn those two groups, anything seems possible at the moment. Big questions are how BUF spending spree pans out, will PHI fall like a lot of us seem to think they will, will NJD continue their second half surge from last year, will MON regret the Cole contract, will CAR regret letting go Cole go, is Connoly healthy and Reimer the real deal in TOR, will Gaborik stay healthy, and will the NYI finally stabilize their crease?

Can't wait for October.
exactly what i'm thinking. especially the notes on Buff and Phili....

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

BTW, this division is usually good to send 3-4 teams to the playoffs.

That means:

We have to improve our record with Philly (give me a break)
We have to improve our record with Pittsburgh
We have to improve our record with the Devils
We have to improve our record with the Rangers

So, basically, we need to get better in the division or we do nothing, no mater how we get better.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
BTW, this division is usually good to send 3-4 teams to the playoffs.

That means:

We have to improve our record with Philly (give me a break)
We have to improve our record with Pittsburgh
We have to improve our record with the Devils
We have to improve our record with the Rangers

So, basically, we need to get better in the division or we do nothing, no mater how we get better.
Yep, divisional play will go a LONG way in deciding things for our team.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Hipster Doofus

Kevin Poulin has dominated every level of play over the last two years and he's 20 years old. I think this guy is getting a bit underrated.

Also, unless they traded Streit and Grabner, Isles have top flight talent. Wanna see the achilles heal? Do a split stat on DP/Lawson starts and everyother goalie. Credit to juristo on IM for this. Isles were 28/29th in GA with Lawson and DP over 36 games. But with every other goalie, 16th. Its also getting back one of the leagues best offensive d-men. If they also can get their top 4 guy, this is a competitive roster.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Jester9881

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Washington
4. Buffalo (more points than Washington)
5. Tampa
6. Philadelphia
7. Devils
8. Rangers
----------------
9. Montreal
10. Islanders (88 points)
11. Toronto
12. Carolina
13. Atlanta
14. Ottawa
15. Florida

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
1) The Penguins have a Jack Adams nominee one year, and a winner the next. Dan Bylsma had this team playing top notch hockey without their two best hockey players. Most think Fluery is overrated, this is a guy who is more than capable of being the guy they rely on until the other "big 2" get there act together. The Pens are an absolute lock for the playoffs, and I'm almost positive that 1 of them will be ready by training camp.
Fleury played out of his mind. I believe it was his best hockey to date.

Look at how many 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 victories he had during the time C and M were out.

This doesn't continue over 82 games. Bylsma doesn't get that award without Fleury's performance. In addition, Pittsburgh was already doing A OK in the standings when Crosby went down.

Nice work, but not necessarily repeatable.

Quote:
2) They are banking on Giroux and VanReims to take the natural progression forward. Giroux is an absolute stud, who were he on the Islanders,would be our second best forward behind Tavares. JVR is a BIG body with SICK hands. They got back the best prospect not in hockey, Schenn, Voracek (big boy with tons of talent) and they sured up a position they will only go to regret come the playoffs. They are a lock.
I love their new look and I think they will likely make the playoffs. I'm not giving them a spot yet.

As good as Giroux is, he was able to do that with Richards and Carter around and taking off some of the pressure. Having Leino didn't hurt either. They're all gone and as nice as Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn may be, they have much to prove if they wish to fill those shoes.

In addition, they can't afford to have Bryzgalov disappoint.

Quote:
3) We hate on the Rags all the time. I don't view them as a Stanley Cup contender, but they will be in the playoffs. They do have one of the best pairings in Staal-Girardi (Sum over the parts, here) and Henrik is always, the X factor. He has reduced his bad streaks and sometimes goes months on months as an absolute wall. Anyone saying the Rangers won't be there come game 83 is, well, being foolish and naive.
Agree, well, with the exception of the last line. They're being in the playoffs looks fairly likely, but is not guaranteed. I'd say those guaranteeing it are closer to foolish and naive.

Quote:
4) Buffalo has Ryan Miller in net, one of the best goaltenders in the world, and although I do not agree with the contracts handed out this offseason, they still were able to get better. Ehrhoff makes them better, Leino makes them bigger, stronger.. and better. There defense is deep.. and when a guy like Myers is Number 2 on your D-Chart, you are in fabulous condition.
Well, Leino and Erhoff are nice additions, but bigger and stronger? Hmmm. As is, Leino simply makes up for the loss of Connolly - maybe. Roy has to come back form injury and Erhoff has to prove he can also play in the East. We haven't seen that yet. What if he puts in a season like Bouwmeester has in Calgary???

Miller should will them to the playoffs, but on paper this club isn't any less questionable than the aforementioned teams and could easily be outdone by a Carolina or Florida.

Quote:
5) Carey Price and Subban would be two of the Islanders' best players. Montreal receives criticism every off season, and I can't figure out why.. because they always make it. Gomez, although overpaid and overrated, is still a solid top center for them, and Cammy, although small, will still be good for 60-80 points.
Well, they've spent two seasons just barely making the playoffs and were good on the back of Halak a year ago. Tough first round loss this year.

Still, they have made it at least four years running. They'd have to be seen favorably to at least make it this year.

All in all though, there are surprises EVERY season, so we can't just be assuming all the same teams are gonna make the playoffs again.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a team like Tampa looking form the outside in next spring.

Carolina is always tough and you've gotta think that Jersey will bounce back, especially if they get Parise in the line-up.

I personally think Florida will be better and that Toronto is not geared to take a step back.

All this said, it's time for the Isles to make it. The next step in progression is there and in my mind's eye, the injury situation is the key, key, key thing we have to have under control in order for this team to slip in at spot 7 or 8.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Fleury played out of his mind. I believe it was his best hockey to date.

Look at how many 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 victories he had during the time C and M were out.

This doesn't continue over 82 games. Bylsma doesn't get that award without Fleury's performance. In addition, Pittsburgh was already doing A OK in the standings when Crosby went down.

Nice work, but not necessarily repeatable.

I love their new look and I think they will likely make the playoffs. I'm not giving them a spot yet.

As good as Giroux is, he was able to do that with Richards and Carter around and taking off some of the pressure. Having Leino didn't hurt either. They're all gone and as nice as Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn may be, they have much to prove if they wish to fill those shoes.

In addition, they can't afford to have Bryzgalov disappoint.

Agree, well, with the exception of the last line. They're being in the playoffs looks fairly likely, but is not guaranteed. I'd say those guaranteeing it are closer to foolish and naive.

Well, Leino and Erhoff are nice additions, but bigger and stronger? Hmmm. As is, Leino simply makes up for the loss of Connolly - maybe. Roy has to come back form injury and Erhoff has to prove he can also play in the East. We haven't seen that yet. What if he puts in a season like Bouwmeester has in Calgary???

Miller should will them to the playoffs, but on paper this club isn't any less questionable than the aforementioned teams and could easily be outdone by a Carolina or Florida.

Well, they've spent two seasons just barely making the playoffs and were good on the back of Halak a year ago. Tough first round loss this year.

Still, they have made it at least four years running. They'd have to be seen favorably to at least make it this year.

All in all though, there are surprises EVERY season, so we can't just be assuming all the same teams are gonna make the playoffs again.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a team like Tampa looking form the outside in next spring.

Carolina is always tough and you've gotta think that Jersey will bounce back, especially if they get Parise in the line-up.

I personally think Florida will be better and that Toronto is not geared to take a step back.

All this said, it's time for the Isles to make it. The next step in progression is there and in my mind's eye, the injury situation is the key, key, key thing we have to have under control in order for this team to slip in at spot 7 or 8.
Here's my issue: You can't just throw out natural progression as a reason a team can make the playoffs at any given time.. especially when what we've seen is probably the best some of these guys can do. Moulson is a 30-30 player, is that going to change? No, so you can't just attribute natural progression there. John Tavares will be a major star in his own right, but this is not a guy who's going to increase his totals to 40-40 over his 2nd offseason, especially playing with someone like Parenteau. And you better believe his agent will bring up this concern next offseason when Garth negotiates a contract based of his numbers to date.. because JT is 50-50 worthy in a prime year with great linemates.

Look at this defense:

Streit-Hamonic
Macdonald-Jurcina

When not injured? They are capable of providing the necessary top 4 defense this team needs over a long stretch. When injured?

Omg do we have problems. You saw what happened when Andy Mac when down last year. You saw what happened when Jurcina was removed from the lineup over a big stretch. We obviously know what we're missing when Streit doesn't play. Hamonic stepped up and played a huge role. Can he repeat that? Build on it?

With increased pressure and expectations usually comes disappointment for young guys.

All in all, if I had a hockey equation it would go like this:

Natural growth curve + Increase in age/experience - Injuries/Lack of experience (X factor) = Your chances.

The X Factor is goaltending.

Is that enough to make the playoffs? No.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Isles Junkie

All depends on Wang. if insists DP is the goalie then no higher than 12th. If he recognizes that he's a broken man who shouldn't be playing a pro sport for a living, then they can finish as high as 7th assuming they get solid performance out of Montoya & Poulin.

I'll assume they do the right thing

Caps
Bruins
Pens
Lightning
Flyers
Canadiens
Islanders/Rangers
Rangers/Islanders

Devils
Leafs
Canes
Jets
Sens
Panthers

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 07-05-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
All depends on Wang. if insists DP is the goalie then no higher than 12th. If he recognizes that he's a broken man who shouldn't be playing a pro sport for a living, then they can finish as high as 7th assuming they get solid performance out of Montoya & Poulin.

Caps
Bruins
Pens
Lightning
Flyers
Canadiens
Islanders/Rangers
Rangers/Islanders

Devils
Leafs
Canes
Jets
Sens
Panthers
Buffalo gets contracted?

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Here's my issue: You can't just throw out natural progression as a reason a team can make the playoffs at any given time.. especially when what we've seen is probably the best some of these guys can do.
I sure as heck am not.

Only my Islander heart says they can make it.

Not gonna let logic and likelihood get in the way of that!:-)

Old
07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

Caps
Bruins
Pens
Lightning
Flyers
Canadiens
Islanders/Rangers
Rangers/Islanders

Devils
Leafs
Canes
Jets
Sens
Panthers
I would put all my years of watching hockey and my -somewhat- educated mind on the line in saying that there is 0 chance the Isles can finish ahead of all three of the Devils, Leafs, Canes. That is opportunist thinking at its highest. Canes have Ward, Staal and Skinner. You move them ahead of us on credibility alone. The Devils have a more experienced hockey organization surrounding what is an incredulous core moving forward.. so while they are nowhere near as strong as in years past, they are given the benefit of the doubt until it actually happens that they finish below us. Marty Broduer is certainly not what he used to be, but you can bank on him posting better numbers than all of our goaltenders combined.

We are Islander fans first, but second we are hockey fans.. and IMHO (at least), we should know that this is not happening.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

If you have Nabokov and Montoya, I can see Montoya battling for playing time and showing some good stats - potentially better than Brodeur if Marty has another season of malaise.

Now Bailey could slingshot into shape and shut everyone up with hard work. One thing I will never dump on him for is character and I think he will work extensively to correct his game (hopefully without the chains and a topless hockey owner watching).

Tavares is still growing and made a huge leap in 3 way play IMHO last season and can now concentrate on dominating the offensive zone. Moulson is a casual guy who won't lose a step. Now Parenteau......he's gotta be hearing the cr*p out there and working on his strides. Comeau is reliable for 25 goals and could make a leap if he has a linemate who starts to get it (or two).

Streit is back, Hamonic is building off last year, Eaton has a lot to prove on reliability, Jurcina has shown to be a nice addition on the point. Marty will sting but the corps as a whole will do far better than last year, obviously (barring injuries).

Our fourth line is better now, and Scott Scrotum isn't coach so expect toughness to be held onto even without Zenon. Reasoner will help elevate Martin and Haley's play.

Grabs and Nielson will be reliable even if Frabs doesn't duplicate last year's totals. Okposo will help in that department.

If there is no DP for 7/8 of the season, we challenge. I don't believe how negative things are with the lame front office effort on acquiring free agents.

I will laugh at the GM and especially the topless owner watching Josh Bailey commercials, but I cannot laugh at our surprisingly good lineup.

So the x-factor is - does DP make is a draft team or does the coach start the best man in net every game to win?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

1. Pitts-What they accomplished without Malkin-Crosby was impressive..If healthly 1st
2. Washington- Something happens in the playoffs to this team but without an elite goalie they were 1st last year...I put Vokoun in or close to elite catagory.
3. Boston - Didn't change a lot to there SC team and Thomas has been consistantly great for a few years now.
4. Rag$ - Is Brad Richards and a healthy Gaborik worth 10 points in the standings? They were 10 points from 4th place last year with a horrible PP. Richards will help that and the Prust-Boyle-Rupp line will be very good for the rag$ (I hate them).
5. Tampa Bay - Great job of re-signing Rollie, Stevie Y has shown he'll get what this team needs to win. (I think he rolls them out now and adds a piece at the trade deadline to get them into 5th.
6. Buffalo - The additions they have made (while I don't agree with them money-wise) they will make this team very tough to deal with.
7. New Jersey - I don't think they are as bad as they were at the beginning of last year. They still have Marty, some talent up fron and seem to figure it out without great talent on the back end.
8. Florida - Tallon is an idiot with the spending habbits he has (long term killer) but I do think he's improved the team immediately. New players Upshall, Fleischman, Jovanoski, Theodore, Bergenheim and Versteeg are all going to help and of the teams left I think they have a shot at the playoffs. (This is my dark horse...."out of nowhoere" team)

Missing the playoffs:
9. Montreal
10. Philadelphia
11. Isles - I just don't see it with this roster, if things change maybe we have a shot but as of right now...not stable in Goal and missing a top4 dman.
12. Carolina
13. Toronto
14. Winnipeg
15. Ottawa

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
1 Flyers- goal tending improved. Offense and D still at top notch
2 Bruins- Cup winners sometimes disappoint after. Not this one
3 Huricanes- Power play will make a difference
4 Capitals- slip and fall in the Offense but D can pick up the slack
5 Sabres- good new acquisitions and the net still strong
6 Penguins- Gino an Sid show a few side effects
7 Islanders- Difference between a healthy team and a bruised one
8 Lightning- Rolie's time might be up. Garon's no starter
9 Rangers- Big money will not solve their problems
10 Canadiens- Gomez can't get going. Price can't do it alone
11 Maple Leafs- Kessel is without a pivot point again
12 Devils- Broduer's not getting any younger ...... nor is his game
13 Panthers- have firepower but now the goalie troubles start
14 Jets- new chapter same story
15 Senators - offense on the rise but the net still a question

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Hockey season really cant come fast enough!!!

07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
periferal

Quote:

TAM
BUF
MON
WAS
PIT
PHI
NYR

I will bet you $100 right now that at least one of those 7 teams you listed misses the playoffs next year. The best part is you left off Boston...Only the team who won the Stanley Cup. I'd say you're on top of your game.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:07 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you have Nabokov and Montoya, I can see Montoya battling for playing time and showing some good stats - potentially better than Brodeur if Marty has another season of malaise.

Now Bailey could slingshot into shape and shut everyone up with hard work. One thing I will never dump on him for is character and I think he will work extensively to correct his game (hopefully without the chains and a topless hockey owner watching).

Tavares is still growing and made a huge leap in 3 way play IMHO last season and can now concentrate on dominating the offensive zone. Moulson is a casual guy who won't lose a step. Now Parenteau......he's gotta be hearing the cr*p out there and working on his strides. Comeau is reliable for 25 goals and could make a leap if he has a linemate who starts to get it (or two).

Streit is back, Hamonic is building off last year, Eaton has a lot to prove on reliability, Jurcina has shown to be a nice addition on the point. Marty will sting but the corps as a whole will do far better than last year, obviously (barring injuries).

Our fourth line is better now, and Scott Scrotum isn't coach so expect toughness to be held onto even without Zenon. Reasoner will help elevate Martin and Haley's play.

Grabs and Nielson will be reliable even if Frabs doesn't duplicate last year's totals. Okposo will help in that department.

If there is no DP for 7/8 of the season, we challenge. I don't believe how negative things are with the lame front office effort on acquiring free agents.

I will laugh at the GM and especially the topless owner watching Josh Bailey commercials, but I cannot laugh at our surprisingly good lineup.

So the x-factor is - does DP make is a draft team or does the coach start the best man in net every game to win?

First off, I don't think Nabakov starts one game for this team. He'll get dealt right before the puck drops on the season or soon after. No way you want a guy who pulled the stunt he pulled EVER suiting up for you. Snow will deal him for a fourth round pick.

This team is good to go with Montoya, Poulin and even if DP starts 25 games.

I'm pretty well convinced this team can finish about 5th or 6th in this conference. I don't think Richards makes the Rags a better team and Philly got worse.

I think its a tough fight in the NE between Buffalo, Montreal and Boston. I have to wonder how well Boston plays this season as the Refs call that team for clutching and grabbing and the rest of league ready to play em. They ain't catchin anyone by surprise this season.

Isles make the post season with the 5th or 6th seed. Team is much better than a lot of folks give credit for. Healthy Streit and healthy Okposo help propel this team along with further developed Tavares, Comeau, Hamonic, Amac and Moulson.

Team won't win a lot of games with prowess on D. They win with Offense and average Defense.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:10 AM
TennesseeJedd

If the Islanders platoon of goaltenders play well enough to keep games close we will be in contention for the 7-8 spots by the end of the season. 2011-2012 will be all about our goal tending, we will thrive or dive because of it.

The one question that will definitely be answered will be the Dipietro health issue, I truly believe this is the year that decides his fate. No I dont expect him to play a full workload but of his condensed starts if he doesn't shine or gets injured AGAIN this issue will be resolved

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Islanders1932

It's so easy to win the cup....we just need to invest in this guy....

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...pid=nhl-rxl-fb

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote