HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)

Old
07-02-2011, 05:21 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
glad you guys are happy with this, i was sad to see him go, we wouldn't have won the cup without him. Sure he can lack compete level for stretches, and he can overestimate his ability to dangle through defenses, but his wrist shot is deadly, he's a good team guy, and he shows up when it matters. Enjoy him!

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Homebrew76

B's fan here, but most importantly a loyal Ryder follower since his Junior days as my family hails from Bonavista and I know him well enough to have had a few autographed kids jerseys sent my way at XMas time.

Him and Adam together in the dressing room will make for a great dynamic. Adam is overpaid at 2 Million as he's a 5th/6th defenseman. Hopefully he is able to stay healthy and grow into a 3rd/4th defenseman, and if so I'll be very happy for him.

Ryder's offense will likely improve in Dallas with increased responsibility and ice time, but at the same time he will have his defensive lapses. Ryder is very good on the back check when he is skating hard, but once the opposition is set up in the zone, Ryder isn't one to make the play to break down their offense. As well, it seems he doesn't always play motivated and when that happens, he doesn't skate hard and is invisible on the ice.

Boston has done well because they are such a deep team forcing Ryder to play on the 3rd line, but moving up to 2nd line when needed because of injuries or such. That is where he is probably best suited. Putting Ryder on the 1st line with your best playmaker will just force him to play against first line defense pairings where his job will be that much harder.

I'm certain that on the top line with Ribero, Ryder can put up 30g-30a-60pts. But that probably won't be enough to win a lot of games as his +/- will likely not be great (-10 to +10 at the end of the year).

Now if Dallas could have gotten another top 2 center that would probably change things.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Dallas feels like they already have another Top 6 center. He was absolutely dominate at times last year, but he is just turning 22. The organization has dumped a ton of pressure on him. It'll be interesting to see how he responds. They even started dumping Modano comparisons on him. I think he'll have a great season, but I just hope this isn't too much pressure too soon.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Homebrew76

That would be fun to watch. Modano is one of my favorite all time players. Being in Eastern Canada, and a traditional fan of Eastern teams, i have a lot to learn about teams from the West.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:53 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
FYI, I was talking about Jamie Benn. I was on my phone earlier, and I guess I totally spaced. I didn't even use his name.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Don't worry, us regulars know exactly who you were referring to.

07-03-2011, 06:50 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
The way Ryder scores his goals is going to strongly remind people of how Lehtinen did it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
That would be marvelous, as Lehtinen is probably the most complimentary winger they've ever put with the Morrow-Ribeiro pairing.

Of course, some of that was because Lehtinen was the best defensive forward on the team and would cover up for some of the, er, lapses of the other two, and Ryder will never replace that. But if he could take over the offensive end of things, it would certainly be nice.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Am I wrong for hoping Ryder not only replaces Lehtinen's offensive game, but exceeds it? I know he had many fine years, but whenever I think of Lehts, my first thought is never of what an offensive powerhouse he was.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Yea i agree with you, offense is never the first thing that pops into my head, but he did lead the team in goals a while back....I think that says a lot about those teams though.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:00 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Am I wrong for hoping Ryder not only replaces Lehtinen's offensive game, but exceeds it? I know he had many fine years, but whenever I think of Lehts, my first thought is never of what an offensive powerhouse he was.
Over Lehtinen's age 32 and age 33 seasons he scored a combined 59 goals. You can't get a perfect comparison to Ryder since Lehtinen's age 31 season was wasted by the lockout, but if Ryder scores the same amount over the span of this contract (his age 31 and 32 seasons) you have to consider it a big success.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
These "Stars fans" coming out to bash these deals show they really aren't Stars fans. How anyone could view the Ryder deal as a bad thing is beyond me.
I didn't say it was bad signing; I said they overpaid for him at his age. I like Ryder personally.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I guess it's a good thing then that the best player from last season is still on the roster then.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
I will. Being right can be particularly gratifying from time to time.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I will. Being right can be particularly gratifying from time to time.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Great player who disappears once in a while for a few games and gets under your skin by not showing up in games but when it counts especially in the playoffs he is one of those guys who takes his play to another level.

He has great stretches regular season too don't get me wrong on that but seems to find a way to get the healthy scratch once in a while. I am going to miss him bigtime.

He seems like a really good guy too. he hits hard and plays hard but clean.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:39 AM
HockeyGambit

Sounds kind of like Neal, except the playoff part will never know what he would've been like in the playoffs for Dallas

HockeyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:00 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dallas feels like they already have another Top 6 center. He was absolutely dominate at times last year, but he is just turning 22. The organization has dumped a ton of pressure on him. It'll be interesting to see how he responds. They even started dumping Modano comparisons on him. I think he'll have a great season, but I just hope this isn't too much pressure too soon.
The only people making those comparisons about Benn are the chuckleheads on this board.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
ScubaSteve*

But yeah, Ryder is a nice add. He should be a satisfactory piece in our top six.

And you guys say I never say anything positive!

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I only said he's going to replace Modano as the face of the franchise.... which he is doing.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
The only people making those comparisons about Benn are the chuckleheads on this board.
And a few broadcasters and hockey writers.

You've downplayed him at every turn but I can guarantee that if he were to get traded or leave via free agency at some point you will be there to chime in about how retarded management is, etc. etc. Your schtick is old. If you want over-the-top pessimism you should locate Fox News on your tv guide.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
You saying that pretty much solidifies the fact you aren't a real Stars fan. You watch any non Stars broadcast, they rave about Benn, thats where the Modano comparisons came from. The comparisons have came from the Hockey media, who know a lot more than you.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Brand New Stars

I've been saying he's not a Stars fan in every trade proposal thread when he comes in and bashes the Stars players. It's sad he's still trying to trick everyone that he is indeed a Stars fan.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

I can't believe you guys fall for his shtick every time. He provides me with major lols watching you all freak out when he talks ****.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Well getting back to Ryder... He's new and all, but he's going to have a few of us facepalmin' on occasion. I've seen enough of him to know he doesn't always do the right thing with the puck. What I mean is he is our less talented version of Phil Kessel, fairly one dimensional shot first, passing? 'what I never learned to do that' kind of player. Just a warning, he's going to frustrate the hell out of some in short order as much as he hangs onto the puck and telegraphs exactly what he's doing. What I like about Ryder is he does get the puck to the net (where Morrow will be) and he doesn't just stick to the outside when he hogs the puck...he does drive the net well. I also like where he's from, no question he's another good character addition!

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote