HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden will report to camp

Old
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
i would trade places with wade redden any day of the week.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Wade is perfectly happy to collect his paycheck in the AHL, ride buses, and support his family.

Wade is no longer a hockey player, but a family man. As long as he doesn't inhibit the Rangers in any way for the rest of his career (which will be over after this contract), I don't care if he collects Dolan's money.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Wow talk about ONLY being in it for the money. Certainly a downside when you sign NAs...

Can you blame him? I wouldnt walk away from that kind of money. It's not like he put a gun to Sather's head and made him offer that contract to him.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's healthy, he can offer some sort of return on the investment being made in him, however little that return may be.

I do not begrudge him showing up.

As long as he understands that there is no room at the inn for him, there will be no issues.

Anything I read about him last year led me to believe that he was trying to work with the younger defenceman in the system, I know some of you may cringe at the thought, but there's a long standing saying about that

"Those that cannot do, teach"

This may be the highest paid player/coach of all time, but if our defenceman can learn to play decent defence because of Redden, then the return on his investment becomes greater than what he offers on the ice himself.
$125,000... weekly! Id agree, he'd probably be the highest paid coach of all time!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
94now

Some people think that Redden must buy a gun and shoot himself. Why shouldn't he show up at the camp? He is a pro. He should get ready and he should go out there to compete with kids. He is an NHL defenseman, many teams would love to have him on the roster. His contract is the problem, but it is not HIS problem. It is a Rangers problem. Why people think a player should view his management problem as his own is beyond me. Must be brainwashed at work.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:34 PM
NYRKING30

gotta give him a lot of credit where its due. he has been handling this like a professional. 95 % of other athletes of any sport would not go so quietly into the night. i personally think he sticks it out in the ahl another year to cash in on the 6.5 mill and walk away from the last 2 years. It would be really hard to walk away from 3 plus years and 18 mill or whatever is owed to him. this situation could be much much worse.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He won't be on the team, and I don't want him there anyway. Dude is useless.

I don't begrudge him his money, though. Must be embarrassing for him, but hey, it's a living.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Don't hate the player, hate the guy who offered 6 and a half million a year and has accomplished nothing in his decade plus here. Sather has changed because the salary cap has forced him to change. If there's no cap right now you'd still see Sather signing guys to ridiculous contracts. The salary cap only allows him to sign a few guys to ridiculous contracts at a time see Gomez, Scott, and Drury, Chris, and Redden, Wade at the top of that list. Yeah give him credit for starting realize he needs a farm system but again that's because you have to have youth on the team to be under the cap.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

So Wade Redden is the victim here of an overbearing fanbase and should be commended instead of criticized because he is going to report to camp?

Old
07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
So Wade Redden is the victim here of an overbearing fanbase and should be commended instead of criticized because he is going to report to camp?
He's living up to his end of the contract... what is there to criticize him about??

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
He's living up to his end of the contract... what is there to criticize him about??
Underperforming, underachieveing, and inability to compete at the NHL level.

Old
07-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Richard Brads

there was a zero percent chance of him not playing in the rangers organization this year, even if he does want to get back to the nhl. he is probably hoping that there will be an amnesty buyout period next offseason with the new CBA, the rangers will buy him out so he will still collect some of what's left on his contract but still be able to play in the nhl next season ('12-'13). no way he'd leave over 6 mil on the table this year

and i don't blame him one bit.

Quote:
Wow talk about ONLY being in it for the money. Certainly a downside when you sign NAs...
btw this was a pretty ignorant comment. get real

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
thesnake

Quote:
He's no longer an NHL player (at his salary at least)... we all get that.

But he's done nothing wrong... he shows up, works hard, and is getting paid what is due to him. There have been no indications that he's been anything but a good teammate in Hartford.

There is no reason to beat on the guy for doing the job he's doing. Its not at the level that he was once able to produce, but that's life.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Haha, saying the same thing three different ways sure bolsters your argument.

Anyway, the guy was a bust, yes. But he always seemed to try his hardest, so for that, I give him a pass. Guys get old and lose their games. It happens. I won't kill the guy for it. Most people saw it coming two years before we ever signed him--I'll instead direct my vitriol to the guy that offered the deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:59 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
I don't think that this is necessarily true. I think his large contract is holding him back. I bet he could still play as a #5 or 6.

And not a half bad one at that.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Crease

Can't feel bad for him since he can become a UFA at the drop of his own hat, but I've heard nothing but good things about how he's behaved in Hartford. Best of luck going forward, Wade.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Ha, what a joke of a comment.

Besides being prejudice, what kind of parallel are you trying to draw here? The Markus Naslund situation?

He had a cush GM job waiting for him across the Atlantic, and simply did not want to put the work in needed to continue being a professional hockey player...while we're entertaining stereotypes, the work ethic issue is the downside of signing Europeans.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Good luck Wade. You'll need it.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Haha, saying the same thing three different ways sure bolsters your argument.

Anyway, the guy was a bust, yes. But he always seemed to try his hardest, so for that, I give him a pass. Guys get old and lose their games. It happens. I won't kill the guy for it. Most people saw it coming two years before we ever signed him--I'll instead direct my vitriol to the guy that offered the deal.
Im not killing anyone. Nor do I want to see the guy put a gun to his head like someone distastfully posted.

I am holding him accountable as I didn't see a guy who as you put it "always seemed to try his hardest"

No offense, I just didn't get that impression.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
I don't think that this is necessarily true. I think his large contract is holding him back. I bet he could still play as a #5 or 6.

And not a half bad one at that.

Looked to me like he played himself right off the roster.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im not killing anyone. Nor do I want to see the guy put a gun to his head like someone distastfully posted.

I am holding him accountable as I didn't see a guy who as you put it "always seemed to try his hardest"

No offense, I just didn't get that impression.
You probably saw what you wanted to see. Its much easier to hate a player when you convince yourself hes not competing.

What I saw was a player whose skills were depreciating at an alarming rate, especially his speed. What I saw was a player that simply couldnt keep up anymore, not a player who choose when to keep up

Old
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
He's no longer an NHL player (at his salary at least)... we all get that.

But he's done nothing wrong... he shows up, works hard, and is getting paid what is due to him. There have been no indications that he's been anything but a good teammate in Hartford.

There is no reason to beat on the guy for doing the job he's doing. Its not at the level that he was once able to produce, but that's life.
He should be that anyway. Hes a veteran leader right?

I don't hate Wade Redden. I wish the guy well. But I am not jumping on the sympathy bandwagon because i think in todays world no matter what you do you have to be held accountable. You have to earn your keep because if you don't the next guy is going to take what was once yours.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Barnaby

Does anyone have an idea of how his contract is laid out? The reason I ask is that if the deal is THAT front-loaded then there is a SMALL chance he could be moveable. You wouldn't get any assets back, but if he was making 2 or 2.5 million at the end, then he could have value to a club trying to reach the cap floor. You pay the guy 2.5 - getting a 3rd pairing d-man, and get credit for 6.5 vs the cap. You'd likely having to move a pick/prospect as well, but it may not be completely impossible under the perfect circumstances...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You probably saw what you wanted to see. Its much easier to hate a player when you convince yourself hes not competing.

What I saw was a player whose skills were depreciating at an alarming rate, especially his speed. What I saw was a player that simply couldnt keep up anymore, not a player who choose when to keep up
You may be guilty of the same. Like the player enough to overlook glaring weaknesses that maybe werent just skills related.

But again...I don't hate the player. I don't hate any player. I didn't even hate Malik! Just because I don't praise him for his work in Hartford doesn't mean I hate the guy.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
He should be that anyway. Hes a veteran leader right?

I don't hate Wade Redden. I wish the guy well. But I am not jumping on the sympathy bandwagon because i think in todays world no matter what you do you have to be held accountable. You have to earn your keep because if you don't the next guy is going to take what was once yours.
Hey, Im all for that, but in this world its about who should be held MOST accountable...and in this situation its the guy who signed a player with declining skills to a ridiculous contract.

Drury and Redden have been getting absolutely roasted on these boards for collecting money that they are entitled to. Hell, theres even a thread discussing the great job that Sather has been doing; talk about a lack of accountablity. The Wade Redden signing is perhaps the worst free agent acquisition/contract in the history of the National Hockey League. After 11+ years, hes finally put together a somewhat respectable (yet incredibly overrated) farm system. This is a guy that deserves a thread lauding his performance? Is that accountability?

Meanwhile, guys with dimishing skills are getting killed for collecting the paychecks they are rightfully entitled to.