HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're in Great Shape!!

Old
07-05-2011, 02:23 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
We're in Great Shape!!

We have evolved past the need to make a blockbuster move in the offseason to excite our fan base, sell tickets, and heighten our image around the league.
We earned 99 pts and a 1st round win with no Lombardi, no Sully, and no Dumont. Franson was a factor but with Josi and Ellis coming, plus the rapid immergence of Blum and the return of Cube, swapping Franson to free up $7mm over the next 2 years was worth it.
Our “pickups” are a full year of Fisher, SK, Blake, Blum, O’Reilly, and Cube. We now have a settled, tested, top-flight goaltender, the best D tandem in the league, and the confidence that comes from winning in the playoffs. We will start this season with a better team than last season. We will also either buy a good player b4 the season starts, or make a mid-season move, because we’ll have the cash to do it AND stay under the mid-cap.
Every year players will be replaced. Sully and Dumont were shells of their former selves and did little to help last year. Ward and Franson were positive but their replacements will be as good if not better. We have tremendous upside in our emerging D-men, plus benefiting from having guys like Fisher settle in from the beginning instead of learning our system as a late acquisition.
We also have a proven backup in Anders. Last year, we were totally unproven in the backup role.
We will challenge for the Division crown this year on improvement from Blum, Wilson, and Blake. We’ll have a confident SK from Game 1 rather than wasting the first few months of last year on the 3rd or 4th lines.
The Pred Glass is more than half-full. Having a healthy Lombardi would have been great, but it was not to be. The fact we’re not eating that contract is an amazing accomplishment by Poile.
Our GM and coaching staff have great confidence in our development system in Milwaukee. When players like Josi and potentially Ellis are ready, just like Blum and Blake last year, you make room for them. Hence, Franson was expendable and used to buy Lombardi money. It’s a beautiful thing.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Refreshing...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
randymc2641

Agree 100%

randymc2641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Well said as always, ILIILI. There is nothing I can add.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
braindead

Yes, but....

We are two arbitration disasters away from overpaying/losing at least two guys in your mix AND having the palor of failing to re-sign our captain to a franchise cornerstone deal. And both are dominos that could impact our ability to keep the other two cornerstones long term.

I expect you to be right and I tend to be one of the more optimistic voices around but until the RFA and Weber situations are cleared up, I'll withhold judgment.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Jarnberg

It hurts to lose Franson in such a deal. I think he is being a bit sold under the bus around here. I think he still has some development in him. That being said, we are stocked with defensive depth so that cushions the blow a bit.

The team has a solid base. I feel like if the team is able to add one or two offensive weapons (difference makers) this team can win the Stanley Cup. It is just frustrating that the team doesn't seem able to do that.

That being said, there are a few dark clouds:

1 - The RFAs. We will probably have to overpay to keep them or perhaps even lose them if we lose the arbitration.
2 - Roster turnover. Putting aside their negatives on the ice, losing Ward, O'Brien, Franson, Goc and possibly some of the RFAs, that is a a decent amount of roster turnover. Yes we have youngsters but there is no guarantee they are able to perform at a high level immediately or that they will fit in. You have to try sometime though.
3 - Weber. Enough said.
4 - Can this team make the moves necessary to compete while we still have Rinne, Suter, Weber?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
It hurts to lose Franson in such a deal. I think he is being a bit sold under the bus around here. I think he still has some development in him.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. But on the same token, how else do you think we were going to get rid of Lombardi's contract? To me, it was EXACTLY what I expected (and what I predicted). We got rid of our trading chip to remove dead weight on our books (for free) so that we can sign a forward that will actually contribute. Whether that signing is now, later in the year via trade, or next year.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Exactly, our team now is pretty much the team that got into the 2nd round and actually is in better shape than the beginning of the year last year.

We will actually have a healthy Fisher as well who is an upgrade over even a healthy Lombardi.

We replace Ward with either Halischuk or Geoffrion both of whom over a full season would have had more points than Ward.

Dumont was useless the entire year except for his hat trick and it is telling that with the little forward depth he has still not signed.

I do see were the concerns come in though...

Our defense will be a bit softer. We get Boullion back and replace Franson with Blum (which is a huge upgrade). I think we replace O'Brien with Laakso to help with the PK role and add a defensive defender but who knows

We replace Sullivan with Bergfors and that is an uncharacteristic risk by Poile but it could be huge. Sully is on a downward trend and we switch him with a young offensive player who may contribute more than Sully or be worse. Worst case scenario we rely on some of the depth we have and bring up Taylor Beck or Latta or Bourque etc...

Finally our biggest loss to me was Goc, but after he got hurt Spaling took his spot and did not let go and Goc was placed in other roles and succeeded. Do we have another utilityman? Can it be Spaling?

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

God I hate summer. No hockey. usual off-season crap. Seriously, any way we can make hockey a year long sport. I mean just make it so when the ice melts everyon plays roller hockey?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
thomas magnum

I have to say even being new to the fan base, I agree with almost everything the Preds Good News Propaganda Minister wrote. People on these boards have been freaking out too much about the state of the team with the recent trades and little activity on landing a big name forward.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

here's my thought on this:

Nashville lost a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners; Ward, Goc, Sullivan, Dumont. Nashville dumped a lot of their injured age overboard.

Ward and Goc hurt but as I have said many time, O'Reilly replaces Goc. Geoffrion and Bergfors replaces Ward. More offense.

They lost a 3rd pairing protected defensively defenseman and frankly his spot for Josi/Ellis is more important than him. So basically, Nashville turned one of their weaknesses into a salary dump.

Nashville dumped Lombardi's contract (3.5 million), Dumont's buyout.

Now we wait. If Poile can magically fill that cap space with a top 6 forward, bam. If not them we should be pissed.

Where am I worried? The RFAs. Now that's time to panic. We are talking the #1 goal scorer, face of the franchise, and the PK unit.

The biggest talk of the FA season was this; weak and will be over paid. Guess what, yup. The players who are available in trade as cheaper and better. Question becomes will Poile FINALLY bite the bullet and make a trade for one of these guys and tap into his prospect pool?

Nashville has one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and the 2012 draft is supposedly one of the best with Nashville having a lot of picks.

It all depends on Bud's kid. If he bites the bullet and builds the offense. Good. If not it's time to go in a new direction.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
here's my thought on this:

Nashville lost a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners; Ward, Goc, Sullivan, Dumont. Nashville dumped a lot of their injured age overboard.

Ward and Goc hurt but as I have said many time, O'Reilly replaces Goc. Geoffrion and Bergfors replaces Ward. More offense.

They lost a 3rd pairing protected defensively defenseman and frankly his spot for Josi/Ellis is more important than him. So basically, Nashville turned one of their weaknesses into a salary dump.

Nashville dumped Lombardi's contract (3.5 million), Dumont's buyout.

Now we wait. If Poile can magically fill that cap space with a top 6 forward, bam. If not them we should be pissed.

Where am I worried? The RFAs. Now that's time to panic. We are talking the #1 goal scorer, face of the franchise, and the PK unit.

The biggest talk of the FA season was this; weak and will be over paid. Guess what, yup. The players who are available in trade as cheaper and better. Question becomes will Poile FINALLY bite the bullet and make a trade for one of these guys and tap into his prospect pool?

Nashville has one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and the 2012 draft is supposedly one of the best with Nashville having a lot of picks.

It all depends on Bud's kid. If he bites the bullet and builds the offense. Good. If not it's time to go in a new direction.
agreed with everything you said here

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
deanwormer

Given most think FAs overpriced and better to swap for a scorer, don't you think Poile has to wait to see how the mess with the QOs shakes out? Assuming we win - then he knows what he's got left to take on salary, but if we lose, it's an unknown how much additional commitment is needed and room we have. Seems like if we are gonna' deal away one of our better guys along with a lesser guy or prospect(s) for a stud Poile darned well better have the rest of the roster tied down.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
KevFist
is best pony

If Bergfors can get it together and live up to his potential, I think Nashville will have a sure fire steal there. this seems to be a franchise in need of a scorer, which is what Bergfors is.

It seems with Nashville though, the biggest thing is good team chemistry, from the front office all the way through the farm system. Don't want to upset that balance.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Bergfors is the latest reclamation project for the Preds. We started doing those in the early days with this kinda chubby goalie who played a few minutes for Montreal and got lit up then continued the practice through last season with SK.

I'm no fan of Lebda, but, we have cap flexibility for a change with the buy out of Dumont and movement of Lombardi's dead weight contract. There are positive moves this summer that scream improvement, but, every summer we see the experts (and most of our fanbase) write us off. We're still solid between the pipes, the blueline isn't exactly hurting, and it's situation normal up front for this time of the year.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:27 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Bergfors is the latest reclamation project for the Preds. We started doing those in the early days with this kinda chubby goalie who played a few minutes for Montreal and got lit up then continued the practice through last season with SK.

I'm no fan of Lebda, but, we have cap flexibility for a change with the buy out of Dumont and movement of Lombardi's dead weight contract. There are positive moves this summer that scream improvement, but, every summer we see the experts (and most of our fanbase) write us off. We're still solid between the pipes, the blueline isn't exactly hurting, and it's situation normal up front for this time of the year.
I'll be content when I see Weber sign on the dotted line and our RFA's back.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Lebda will be waived before Halloween.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I mean just make it so when the ice melts everyon plays roller hockey?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:36 AM
KevFist
is best pony

She was way too excited about the cups.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Sleazoid
Who needs offense?

Wait a moment, I have been gone for a bit. Nashville got Bergfors? Haha this is interesting.

Sleazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazoid View Post
Wait a moment, I have been gone for a bit. Nashville got Bergfors? Haha this is interesting.
Yep, the team is doing everything imagineable to get the Thrashers fans. Even bringing in ex-thrashers.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Sleazoid
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Yep, the team is doing everything imagineable to get the Thrashers fans. Even bringing in ex-thrashers.
Well I am joining the Preds fanbase anyways. I can't support Winnipeg, it would be too hard too. So I had to decided between the Preds and NJ, and NJ is just too boring to watch. Plus since I love watching Pavelec play, watching Rinne play all the time should be the best treat.

Sleazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:43 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Well I am joining the Preds fanbase anyways. I can't support Winnipeg, it would be too hard too. So I had to decided between the Preds and NJ, and NJ is just too boring to watch. Plus since I love watching Pavelec play, watching Rinne play all the time should be the best treat.
Trust me, watching Rinne play on your team is amazing.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:39 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Welcome, bud. The fans here make it easy to make the transition. Becoming a fan of Nashville has made the heartbreak much more tolerable, and it's not even August yet.

Go Preds!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote