HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden will report to camp

Old
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
rickyrod

vCash: 500
None of us would walk away from $6.5m to ride a Greyhound, why should he?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

the guy has to show the rest of the league that he can still play an NHL game so when he voids his contract, the Islanders will offer him a contract. he should seek permission to talk with other teams because if he can get a contract with a contender, I think that's worth the risk. He has lots of money already. If the Islanders are seriously the only ones interested, then he's better off eating his $6.5M sandwich. I can only see him forfeiting all that money if he can sign with a perceived legit contender like San Jose or Vancouver or Washington or maybe a reunion with Chara? Chara can probably make any partner look amazingly good.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
I would if it meant I could sign with a contender and have a chance to win Stanley Cup for once in my career. That is the dream of every hockey player. Not the $$$. And he's still sitting on a mountain of cash he's earned over his career. Unless he got himself into serious debt or simply just mismanaged all his cash and isn't sitting on that imaginary mountain I picture in my mind, he should have plenty for the rest of his life. If he cannot guarantee getting with a contender and the Islanders are his only chance at the NHL, yeah, he definitely takes the money.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I don't blame Redden for taking the money at all.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i would trade places with wade redden any day of the week.
Id take one month of his pay for his work and damn content with that.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
That all depends on what you hold important to you. You can't put a pricetag on peace of mind. For this reason, some plaers will sign elsewhere for less. Maybe it's coming closer to home, maybe its a chance to show the hockey world you still got gas in the tank...maybe it's a chance to win a Stanley cup.

Look at the kid from Compton. He just won $40,000 for winning a free throw competition. He gave his winnings to the other 7 contestants. Purpose was more important than paycheck for him.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Looked to me like he played himself right off the roster.
He certainly did. Who wants to pay a bottom pairing dman 6.5 million a year. Eminger can do that for what, a third of that?

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Redden is a world class dud. He'll surely be riding the bus. Hopefully he continues to be a solid mentor to the kids down there. If so, then his salary isn't a total loss, it's actually a pretty good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Wow talk about ONLY being in it for the money. Certainly a downside when you sign NAs...
Seriously how ignorant of a statement is that. You should really think more and type less next time. I really hope an admin nails you for that slanderous comment.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:05 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Wow talk about ONLY being in it for the money. Certainly a downside when you sign NAs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Redden is a world class dud. He'll surely be riding the bus. Hopefully he continues to be a solid mentor to the kids down there. If so, then his salary isn't a total loss, it's actually a pretty good thing.

Seriously how ignorant of a statement is that. You should really think more and type less next time. I really hope an admin nails you for that slanderous comment.

I find Olas text worth a and a smile. Euros have been getting huge amounts of abuse here for ages for anything and everything. Time to fight back with some stupid and distorted argumentaion...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
petejudge

rangers fans act like this guy doesn't know how to play hockey at all. for a 3rd line defenseman he would be a great fit, the problem was sather offered a guy who could be a minor contributor to a team the money you would give your superstars. people forget that even though he had absolutely no offense left in his game by his last year he was still a +8 for the season. in hartford he put up 42 points and was a -1 last season. if that was a young guy we would all be screaming at sather to bring him up.

point is, redden is not a great player, probably not even a good player. he's average, a good 3rd line guy. his 6.5 cap hit makes him impossible to keep on the team. we all hated him so much because he was being paid so much money to do absolutely nothing.

also, was ANY team willing to pay redden anything close to 6.5 when he was on the market? i don't remember anyone thinking he was worth much at all. blame sather, not redden

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:25 PM
RidinwitdaKING

why is anyone remotely interested in this thread
It's a business and we made a bad deal.
He HAS to report he's under CONTRACT!

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
rangers fans act like this guy doesn't know how to play hockey at all. for a 3rd line defenseman he would be a great fit, the problem was sather offered a guy who could be a minor contributor to a team the money you would give your superstars. people forget that even though he had absolutely no offense left in his game by his last year he was still a +8 for the season. in hartford he put up 42 points and was a -1 last season. if that was a young guy we would all be screaming at sather to bring him up.

point is, redden is not a great player, probably not even a good player. he's average, a good 3rd line guy. his 6.5 cap hit makes him impossible to keep on the team. we all hated him so much because he was being paid so much money to do absolutely nothing.

also, was ANY team willing to pay redden anything close to 6.5 when he was on the market? i don't remember anyone thinking he was worth much at all. blame sather, not redden
I agree. Salary aside, Wade Redden would likely earn a spot. At this very moment, hes arguably a top 6 defenseman in this organization. And no, Im not talking about upside or anything like that, Im talking about right now. Trouble is, his cap hit isn't a million.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
He certainly did. Who wants to pay a bottom pairing dman 6.5 million a year. Eminger can do that for what, a third of that?
Eminger should not get more than around a million (less than 1/6) on the open market.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsRngrs View Post
why is anyone remotely interested in this thread
It's a business and we made a bad deal.
He HAS to report he's under CONTRACT!
He doesn't have to report. He can choose not to report and that would allow the Rangers to terminate his contract. But then, Redden wouldn't get his 6.5 mil and he might not be able to find another job.

It's still possible that he will come to camp hoping to show other teams that he still has something left. If another team shows interest, maybe he leaves camp, the Rangers terminate, and he signs with another team. Doubtful, but possible.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
RidinwitdaKING

he's coming and getting his 6.5 *******Million, Duh

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:40 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Does anyone have an idea of how his contract is laid out? The reason I ask is that if the deal is THAT front-loaded then there is a SMALL chance he could be moveable. You wouldn't get any assets back, but if he was making 2 or 2.5 million at the end, then he could have value to a club trying to reach the cap floor. You pay the guy 2.5 - getting a 3rd pairing d-man, and get credit for 6.5 vs the cap. You'd likely having to move a pick/prospect as well, but it may not be completely impossible under the perfect circumstances...
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=630

He's making 6.5 mil this year, and 5 mil each of the next 2 years.

Odds are he will play in Hartford this year and collect his 6.5 mil, then if there are compliance buyouts in the next CBA, he get's 2/3rds of the remaining 10 mil (assuming the buyout compensation is still the same).

Can he find a job in the NHL after 2 years in the AHL? Doubtful.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
No surprise there.

Guy's happy riding buses and collecting his millions.

His career is over.
Yeah, pretty much all that can be said. Worst signing ever.Here's to hoping the numbers finally work in our favor.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would if it meant I could sign with a contender and have a chance to win Stanley Cup for once in my career. That is the dream of every hockey player. Not the $$$. And he's still sitting on a mountain of cash he's earned over his career. Unless he got himself into serious debt or simply just mismanaged all his cash and isn't sitting on that imaginary mountain I picture in my mind, he should have plenty for the rest of his life. If he cannot guarantee getting with a contender and the Islanders are his only chance at the NHL, yeah, he definitely takes the money.
I'm sure that Redden would void the contract in a second, if he had the opportunity to sign with a contender. But, right now, I'm sure there are no offers on the table for him, so he will just have to wait and see--nothing is going to happen until later in the summer.

Old
07-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would. But I really hate buses, and I'm a billionaire already, you see.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:51 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I don't blame Redden for taking the money at all.
Neither do I.

And, honestly, he's actually a great veteran presence for Hartford -- McDonagh was raving over how Redden helped him in developing his game. I'm perfectly content with him playing that role for Hartford, even if he costs a premium. No skin off Dolan's back, $6.5M is chump change to him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Redden will report to camp .
WHY,lol

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hey, Im all for that, but in this world its about who should be held MOST accountable...and in this situation its the guy who signed a player with declining skills to a ridiculous contract.

Drury and Redden have been getting absolutely roasted on these boards for collecting money that they are entitled to. Hell, theres even a thread discussing the great job that Sather has been doing; talk about a lack of accountablity. The Wade Redden signing is perhaps the worst free agent acquisition/contract in the history of the National Hockey League. After 11+ years, hes finally put together a somewhat respectable (yet incredibly overrated) farm system. This is a guy that deserves a thread lauding his performance? Is that accountability?

Meanwhile, guys with dimishing skills are getting killed for collecting the paychecks they are rightfully entitled to.
Agreed. I watched Redden from the begining of his career and was shocked at his decline in the two years before he became a free agent. The skill that Redeen had was reading the play and getting into position--once he lost a step (more likely two or three steps), he couldn't play his game anymore. Signing him for two years, much less less six was an incredilbe blunder. Sather shouild be forced to pay Redden's salary out of his own pocket.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Too bad his contract is absurd, because I think he'd fit really well as a vet 3rd pairing Dman.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:17 PM
McMonster

He still has 3 years remaining on that contract... I want to puke.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:21 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Eminger should not get more than around a million (less than 1/6) on the open market.
Oh I know that for sure. I just had forgotten exactly how much Eminger made last season so I said a third to be safe because thats about 2.167.

I was just saying. I don't think Eminger is actually worth that kind of money. However, if Redden was making 2 million instead of 6.5 I think everyone here wouldn't mind him on the bottom pairing.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote