HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Here's what may have happened....

Shea is so determined to help build a cup winner in Nashville that he was concerned that if we signed a huge long term deal with him, we could get harmed if the new collective bargaining agreement was substantially different. Limiting the chance for us to put a strong team around him. So he told Poile that what he'll do is just sign a shorter deal now, and sign the long deal once the new bargaining agreement is done and fully understood.

See? Just need to think creatively on these things to sleep well.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Soundgarden

Maybe Weber will take the Thornton route and only sign 3 year contracts max?

Old
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
If he's traded for value (and he would be) and the Preds win, all will be forgotten. Now, if he's traded for a handful of picks and prospects, and the Preds sink out of the playoffs again, then yes, it will be pretty bad. But if Poile can turn this into NHL ready value, then the on-ice results will guide everything.
When was the last time Poile got value out of one of his trades? I wouldn't be surprised if Poile traded Weber to Detroit for a 2nd round pick and Jimmy Howard.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
irisheyes555

god this thread feels like....like.....like....

Old
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
When was the last time Poile got value out of one of his trades? I wouldn't be surprised if Poile traded Weber to Detroit for a 2nd round pick and Jimmy Howard.
When was the last time Poile had a Norris runner-up as a trade chip?

If we don't sign Weber, we have tons of space to sign a big name. That hasn't been the case in the past, when we've been forced to sell low in order to keep under budget.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:49 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
When was the last time Poile had a Norris runner-up as a trade chip?
We never have. But what difference does that make? How can Poile be trusted to execute the big deal?

What trade has Poile ever completed where Nashville clearly came out on the winning end? Seriously? When has Poile ever made the slam dunk? Vokoun for Florida's 1st? The Foppa deal? Parent for O'brien? These deals amount to "active inertia" in hindsight.

Now how many head scratchers has Poile made? How many times have players walked away for nothing? How many times has Poile gotten less value than his peers who made similar deals within +/- 1 year?

Quote:
If we don't sign Weber, we have tons of space to sign a big name. That hasn't been the case in the past, when we've been forced to sell low in order to keep under budget.
What big names are out there to sign? Maybe you have a different FA list than me?

Old
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
We never have. But what difference does that make? How can Poile be trusted to execute the big deal?
It makes all the difference. When have we had a player that most of the GMs in the league would **** their pants over the mere mention of his name? Vokoun might've come close...but Weber has almost mythical status at present in the league. There are 29 teams that would make an offer for him, guaranteed. We've never had that situation before...a situation where Poile could actually be in the driver's seat, rather than having to accept the other GMs terms.

How can he be trusted to make such a deal? He's the GM. That's his job. If we didn't trust him, we'd have another GM by now.

Quote:
What trade has Poile ever completed where Nashville clearly came out on the winning end? Seriously? When has Poile ever made the slam dunk? Vokoun for Florida's 1st? The Foppa deal? Parent for O'brien? These deals amount to "active inertia" in hindsight.

Now how many head scratchers has Poile made? How many times have players walked away for nothing? How many times has Poile gotten less value than his peers who made similar deals within +/- 1 year?
Again to the above...how many times has Poile clearly held the upper hand? How many times have we traded big players for less when it hasn't meant staying under budget?

And you want a clear winner of a trade, where we clearly came out on top? Here's one...Steve Sullivan.

If you want to go into more about good moves/bad moves by Poile, go to the thread where they discuss that.

Quote:
What big names are out there to sign? Maybe you have a different FA list than me?
Steven Stamkos and Zach Parise come to mind.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Dont forget weber will be signed(or traded) we wont lose him for nothing. Dammit im on vacation. Why did i get a phone with internet? I could have just blissfully caught up on armageddon next sunday...

Old
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:

Steven Stamkos and Zach Parise come to mind.

Neither are UFA's. I'd be completely OK with Poile throwing the kitchen sink at Stamkos with an offer sheet, but Parise opted for arbitration and can't even be tendered an offer sheet.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Neither are UFA's. I'd be completely OK with Poile throwing the kitchen sink at Stamkos with an offer sheet, but Parise opted for arbitration and can't even be tendered an offer sheet.
You know who else isn't a UFA? Shea Weber.

The whole point was that if we trade Shea Weber, we won't be picking up a UFA. It would be a TRADE. We would have the space to acquire a contract in the $6-8 million range. Am I speaking another language or something?

Old
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Cue Weber to the Leafs proposals...

Old
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
You know who else isn't a UFA? Shea Weber.

The whole point was that if we trade Shea Weber, we won't be picking up a UFA. It would be a TRADE. We would have the space to acquire a contract in the $6-8 million range. Am I speaking another language or something?
Yes.

I hope Poile knows what he's doing. Not too impressed so far this summer.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:43 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Cue Weber to the Leafs proposals...

That's actually the only team I'd want him to go too. I kinda like them, just a lil bit.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
That's actually the only team I'd want him to go too. I kinda like them, just a lil bit.
It's weird. I actually like you guys a lot, and I want you to do well. It's heartwarming to know that not EVERY teams fanbase hates us!

Old
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Here's what may have happened....

Shea is so determined to help build a cup winner in Nashville that he was concerned that if we signed a huge long term deal with him, we could get harmed if the new collective bargaining agreement was substantially different. Limiting the chance for us to put a strong team around him. So he told Poile that what he'll do is just sign a shorter deal now, and sign the long deal once the new bargaining agreement is done and fully understood.

See? Just need to think creatively on these things to sleep well.
Thank you. I don't know why everyone is saying trade him. If I was in his position I'd probably do the same thing even if I wanted to be a Pred for life. Lets just hope Poile can find sneaky ways to get some scoring.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
picks for fisher
sk for ellis and boyd's rights
parent and eurotrash for sob

soooooo the three trades from last year

Old
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Yes.

I hope Poile knows what he's doing. Not too impressed so far this summer.
Hey, there's nothing much to be impressed over. But that's because there is a lot left to do.

I can understand people are anxious/nervous. Without the RFAs (and especially Weber) signed, there is a lot of uncertainty. But one way or another, we will not be uncertain when we hit the ice in October. Hopefully we'll know sooner rather than later about how some of these lingering contracts will pan out.

If we just sign the RFAs and nothing else big...I don't think there is much of an improvement from last year, other than experience from the kids.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate the value of the majority of last year's playoff team playing as a unit for this season. There's a lot of room for improvement there.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:39 AM
saskoilfan

you guys are nut to even think about trading him you have chris pronger from about 1997. Weber is the anchor you build your team around for next 10 years. he wants 2 year deal you sign him to it and show him you want to win. cause you can't trade him for equal valve. In my mind he's top 3 best in nhl

Old
07-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskoilfan View Post
you guys are nut to even think about trading him you have chris pronger from about 1997. Weber is the anchor you build your team around for next 10 years. he wants 2 year deal you sign him to it and show him you want to win. cause you can't trade him for equal valve. In my mind he's top 3 best in nhl
Essentially I agree. We have a Norris runner-up, and we need to sign him. If we don't sign him, it's pretty much saying we can't keep our talent here. I know that's been true in the past...but we need to move beyond that. If he wants a 3 year deal that doesn't break our bank, we should agree to it. The signing will probably be as symbolic as it is anything else.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
hfboardsuser

Hall/RNH/Eberle + Edmonton 2012 1st for Weber?

Old
07-06-2011, 02:13 AM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Hall/RNH/Eberle + Edmonton 2012 1st for Weber?
I kind of like that...but I just don't like the thought of seeing #6 playing somewhere other than Smashville.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwaldpredfan View Post
I kind of like that...but I just don't like the thought of seeing #6 playing somewhere other than Smashville.
Understandably, of course. Oh, would you need a roster D back? Perhaps Tom Gilbert? He's soft for his size but with Suter watching his back, he could easily eclipse his career high of 45 points.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:06 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Understandably, of course. Oh, would you need a roster D back? Perhaps Tom Gilbert? He's soft for his size but with Suter watching his back, he could easily eclipse his career high of 45 points.
Most definitely need a D man back. I just don't want Weber going to anyone else, atleast not in the Western conference.

Old
07-06-2011, 05:52 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
picks for fisher
sk for ellis and boyd's rights
parent and eurotrash for sob

soooooo the three trades from last year
Fair enough, I'll give you the SK trade.

But "picks for Fisher" is way too early to say we came out on the better end, especially considering the other pick hasn't even been made yet. Stefan Noesen could be really good for them.

And as for the SOB trade, it's all too muddy to tell. On the face, sure, I guess we got one year out of SOB and who knows if Parent will ever make their squad. But if Parent doesn't make the NHL, then I guess that's another 1st round bust for Mr. Poile.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Dont forget weber will be signed(or traded) we wont lose him for nothing. Dammit im on vacation. Why did i get a phone with internet? I could have just blissfully caught up on armageddon next sunday...
i know, vacations used to be getting away from it all.

Closed Thread