HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Marc Methot Re-signs: 4 years, 12 million

Old
07-05-2011, 08:43 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
I'm of the belief you need NINE defensemen to get through the season. Here's how I see our blueliners ranking:
1-Wiz
2-Tyutin
3-TBD
4-Methot
5-Clitsome
6-Russell
7-Aaron Johnson
8-Holden
9-Savard/Moore

Pairings will vary. #7 is often a healthy scratch. #8 and #9 start the season in Springy.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'm of the belief you need NINE defensemen to get through the season. Here's how I see our blueliners ranking:
1-Wiz
2-Tyutin
3-TBD
4-Methot
5-Clitsome
6-Russell
7-Aaron Johnson
8-Holden
9-Savard/Moore

Pairings will vary. #7 is often a healthy scratch. #8 and #9 start the season in Springy.
This is whatb I meant when I referred to AJ as a #8 in that thread. My list swaps Holden and AJ from yours.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:01 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I need some of your thoughts on this..

Quote:
1-Wiz
2-Tyutin
3-TBD
4-Methot
5-Clitsome
6-Russell
7-Aaron Johnson
8-Holden
9-Savard/Moore

First you are correct on this Leesmith in our dmen ordering, but I would venture to say that Wiz & Toots are really 3 - 6 pairings on almost every other team do you agree? That means we could use anyone from a 1st pairing to a 3rd defensemen via trade and make ourselves better.

We should have made a hard push for Vokoun, as he might have been able to solidify our d to buy some time for those young guys to get more seasoned.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
First you are correct on this Leesmith in our dmen ordering, but I would venture to say that Wiz & Toots are really 3 - 6 pairings on almost every other team do you agree? That means we could use anyone from a 1st pairing to a 3rd defensemen via trade and make ourselves better.

We should have made a hard push for Vokoun, as he might have been able to solidify our d to buy some time for those young guys to get more seasoned.
Yep. Our defense is not good yet. I too am a little nervous about the goalie experiment.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Alright then..

Quote:
Yep. Our defense is not good yet. I too am a little nervous about the goalie experiment.
what is our next move?

I found myself quite jealous that Liles got traded for a 2nd rd pick, and even a little bit today when Corvo went to the Bruins for a 4th. Corvo, as in the leaky sieve, and I still wanted him.

Babchuk resigned with Calgary for 2.5MM a year, would have loved to have him.. hell I'd of done backflips for Kaberle and that dude is mid 30's? I just don't see a lot of good options left.

I know that Howson had made overtures for Erhoff starting almost two years ago.. so I trust his evaluation of talent, just not sure that we have gone hard enough after some of these players.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
knucklepuck28

Methot > Tyutin

I just don't get the love affair with Tyutin. For me he is just so frustrating to watch.

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
blahblah

None of the names being bantered around here are really solutions to our last major dilemma. That is, who to match up against the other teams top lines. There isn't anyone left in FA. We either passed on or didn't try for a couple of the poor man's versions.

Scotty has set the bar low, IMO. Wisneiwski was a great addition, but setting the bar low after that move was a strategic mistake IMO. I hope we don't regret this decision.

No offense to Methot or whoever we pick up in the 4/5 role that Howson was talking about.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklepuck28 View Post
Methot > Tyutin

I just don't get the love affair with Tyutin. For me he is just so frustrating to watch.
Love affair? He's a 3/4 with more offensive upside than Methot. Methot's a little better in the defensive zone. I get frustrated watching our entire defense. Methot's no less frustrating than the rest of them.

Part of the reason Tyutin is frustrating is that we play him in a larger role than we should. Same for Methot and Clitsome, as well as the occasional brain cramp in which we think Russ might be a 3/4.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
knucklepuck28

I just think Methot has a lot more in him. Last year he looked like the only legit top 4 NHL d man we had back there.

IMO Tyutin is as good as he's going to get and i am just not at all impressed. He's just ok offensively and terrible defensively. It's scary thinking he's going to be on our top pair!

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Methot > Tyutin

I'll second this. There are times when Tyutin looks fine, but then there are those times when he avoids throwing a check or misses an assignment, and we're watching Steve Mason sweep the puck out of his net.

Granted, you get mistakes with Methot as well, I just think Tyutin's mistakes are more frequent.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:54 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

We are missing a physical presence in the back end

a guy that can rub out the break away and make em pay a price for coming accross our crease. We don't have that toughness there. I guess Arniel's attack defense is a brand of hockey that I will have to adjust too. I would just rather do that knowing that there is a presence back there, rather than a swinging gate.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I just think Methot has a lot more in him. Last year he looked like the only legit top 4 NHL d man we had back there.

IMO Tyutin is as good as he's going to get and i am just not at all impressed. He's just ok offensively and terrible defensively. It's scary thinking he's going to be on our top pair!
He's not terrible defensively. He's just not a shut down guy. We have been giving him more responsibility than we should.

Methot, is there more in him? Possible. A lot more? Highly doubtful. Don't put false expectations on him. Methot has a lot to prove before you even consider him in a true shut down role. He's probably going to get the chance this year. He'll probably get better.

Tyutin has more upside on one end of the ice, Methot on the other.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I'll second this. There are times when Tyutin looks fine, but then there are those times when he avoids throwing a check or misses an assignment, and we're watching Steve Mason sweep the puck out of his net.

Granted, you get mistakes with Methot as well, I just think Tyutin's mistakes are more frequent.
Here we go again. We can't seem to put Tyutin in the correct context and level set our expectations on that role.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
1-Wiz
2-Tyutin
3-TBD
4-Methot
5-Clitsome
6-Russell
7-Aaron Johnson
8-Holden
9-Savard/Moore

I'm with you on this Lee. I just wish I could slide every guy on this list down a slot or two. Ideally Wisniewski and Tyutin are the 2nd pair.

Think Howson could get Pronger, Seabrook or Weber/Suter?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I'm with you on this Lee. I just wish I could slide every guy on this list down a slot or two. Ideally Wisniewski and Tyutin are the 2nd pair.

Think Howson could get Pronger, Seabrook or Weber/Suter?
Nope. LOL!

Old
07-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Dutchman1350

Congrats to Methot-man and his new contract. Nice to hear he likes it in Cbus.

Looking at last season, 10 of his 15 points (assists) came in the first two months. Obviously when the team was playing well, he was getting his assists.

Dutchman1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

HOLY SMOKES! $3 mil a year for a #4/5 Dman?

The CBA is surely a sham and shambles.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
ACABrad

I think his pay is a little high on the back end, but I am happy to have him locked into a deal with the Jackets. I was kind of put off from him a few years back when he told the Jackets to move him up to the NHL or trade him. But the last couple season, I have come to like what he does for the team. I just hope we can sign a good line mate for him that will let his skills really shine.

ACABrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
section 204

$$$ is steep for sure, but it's a gamble. Will he continue the upward trajectory of his career justifying the money on the back end?

As for our overall 'D', it's another strategic gamble that by putting more offensive pressure on the opponent and forcing them to play in their own end, it's going to help all of our defensemen play "above their ability." Or at least the ability they've displayed so far in their careers. Not sure I'm buying it, but we'll see this fall.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1350 View Post
Looking at last season, 10 of his 15 points (assists) came in the first two months. Obviously when the team was playing well, he was getting his assists.
More like when we was flinging around pucks wildly toward the net.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
MFRONE

The Jackets bought 3 years of UFA from Methot and thus had to give him something to justify giving that up. With the structure of the deal there will be nothing wrong with the contract by the 3rd and 4th years.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Just visiting (peacefully) - I'm puzzled by this signing. I considered Hejda to be the much better player, but they let him go and gave Methot almost the same deal that Hejda took from the Avs?

I've seen a decent number of Jackets games and I was aware that Methot was on the team, but I have never seen him do anything that left any kind of impression - good or bad (that's not necessarily a bad thing if he's a stay-at-home guy). So when I looked up his numbers I was a bit shocked at the $$ on this deal.

You guys would know better than I - is he considered a shutdown defender in these parts, or at least well on his way to becoming one? Was this a panic move after losing Hejda? Did they make a similar offer to Hejda and he decided he was leaving no matter what? It's not as big of a head-scratcher as the Pardy deal, but I'm still confused by it. Any info would be appreciated.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Just visiting (peacefully) - I'm puzzled by this signing. I considered Hejda to be the much better player, but they let him go and gave Methot almost the same deal that Hejda took from the Avs?

I've seen a decent number of Jackets games and I was aware that Methot was on the team, but I have never seen him do anything that left any kind of impression - good or bad (that's not necessarily a bad thing if he's a stay-at-home guy). So when I looked up his numbers I was a bit shocked at the $$ on this deal.

You guys would know better than I - is he considered a shutdown defender in these parts, or at least well on his way to becoming one? Was this a panic move after losing Hejda? Did they make a similar offer to Hejda and he decided he was leaving no matter what? It's not as big of a head-scratcher as the Pardy deal, but I'm still confused by it. Any info would be appreciated.
I think the hope is that Methot is a younger, more mobile version of Jan Hejda. One comparison I've always liked for him is Mark Eaton - he's not going to wow you in any way, but he has the ability to be a steadying force, a solid second/third pairing guy that you should be able to put on the ice without getting burned frequently. Methot has shown flashes of being that kind of player, but really has yet to do it on a consistent basis.

Personally, I consider myself a big fan of Methot's - he's one of the rare examples this team has of developing their own talent from within. I think the deal Hejda got would have hurt us worse, as Hejda is 33 and already seemed to be regressing ... on the flipside, Methot is only 26, and showed early on last season that he was capable of being a solid player in this league. It's a riskier deal, but IMO the reward with Methot could be much higher than with Hejda.

I would have liked to see us keep Jan Hejda for one or two more years, but I think the dollar amount was higher on a shorter term deal with him, and there's no way we wanted to lock him into a 4 or 5 year deal.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post

I know I'll read my replay to you back to myself and have to swallow some harsh language but Methot outperformed Hejda by a long shot last year in my opinion. For the first half of the year he was the best defenseman on the Jackets (that's the harsh language by the way ) He tailed off pretty dramatically towards the end of the year but he was noticably better last year.

He may have played too many minutes too early but he should be capable of 20 min per night or more. He's an above average skater and has some size. Hejda had lost a step and was even more lost when he had to step over the red line (again, my opinion). At Hejda's age it didn't make sense to sign him for $3M per and certainly not for 4 years. He was on the decline (permanent or bad year? We'll learn more this year) and Methot was on the upswing and is only 26.

Methot is going to have to be a shutdown guy although I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with Wiz. I think Methot is a better skater than Tyutin and is better in the defensive zone which may be helpful with Wiz. So to answer your question yes, he's a shutdown guy but I believe he has more in the bag but needs to step up the hockey sense a little.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Thanks for the info - so it's partially an age thing and partially a matter of perception, with folks watching all the Jackets' games recognizing he may be better than Hejda anyway. I hadn't realized Hejda was that old, as he hasn't been around all that long.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote