HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges???? (filed for salary arbitration - hearing set for July 28th)

Old
07-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Mark my words: Gorges will get a 3 year deal at 3.25 per.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I don't get your point at all.

Two players might be comparable, but the reason one players gets a ton of money is purely because of circumstances where a team is forced into doing everything it can to reach the cap floor.

You either missed my point completely or I did...
I didn't miss your point I just disagree with it. The expectation will be that comparable players get comparable salaries.

You're saying that GMs in crappy situations screw that up, that's true sometimes. I don't think that's true here.

We'll see what happens at arbitration. I'm very worried we end up signing Gorges to a 1-year deal and then lose him to free agency.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I dont think Gorges will leave the Habs because I think he likes the team too much. He is also very grateful that the Habs gave him his NHL shot. Moreover, this is simply the Habs playing tough because they know that fact. I predict he will sign in the next two days.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Doubt arbitration awards him anything longer than 2 years. Seems to me I'm used to seeing 1 and 2 year contracts "awarded", but not so used to seeing 3+. I'll predict two years, but I don't even know what to expect for price; other than I might expect a 1 year deal to actually come at the cheapest price tag (not that it should matter).

I was under the impression that the arbitrator could only award a one year deal?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Why does he deserve $500K more per year than polak?

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Wiz was let go with allegedly no contact offered. Hamrlik walked after being strung along. The D's have dried up and there's Josh Gorges who is riding the coattails of Halak and shutting down Washington for a few games. He didn't play half a season. He's only been a fulltime player for TWO YEARS with little point production.

I'll laugh if he gets 3.25 for multiple years while other d-men were allowed to walk. Gorges is a warrior, great marketing guy but what has he done to earn that kind of contract?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
3M on a 3-4 year deal for a purely defensive player who isn't physically intimidating, has zero offense and is coming off a pretty severe injury is what is really absurd here. Gorges really gets overrated around these parts.
I wouldn't give him a long term contract and all along I'd look for opportunities to acquire Dmen who are just as good defensively but better offensively.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
habfan1968

IMHO:

If you go on Gorges play alone you would maybe be looking at low 2's on a 3 year deal but, Gorges is the type of guy you pay more to for the intangibles he brings. Heart and soul guy, no problems off the ice and seems to be well liked by his team mates. He is not the biggest, fastest, best hitter etc.. however he is a guy you choose to go to war with because you know he will leave it all out there on the ice. Let me also add that Gorges and Price have some kind of friendship going on and if we have to pay a little more for Gorges to help secure Price, it is money well spent. 4 - 5 years 2.75 to 3.0 per is ok.

Was he not Captain of Kelowna?

Last edited by habfan1968: 07-05-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: just for smart ***** sake
Old
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
IMHO:

If you go on Gorges play alone you would maybe be looking at low 2's on a 3 year deal but, Gorges is the type of guy you pay more to for the intangibles he brings. Heart and soul guy, no problems off the ice and seems to be well liked by his team mates. He is not the biggest, fastest, best hitter etc.. however he is a guy you choose to go to war with because you know he will leave it all out there on the ice. Let me also add that Gorges and Price have some kind of friendship going on and if we have to pay a little more for Gorges to help secure Price, it is money well spent. 4 - 5 years 2.75 to 3.0 per is ok.

Was he not Captain of Kelowna?
More rumors swirled around him and a few others during the DDIHH than ultimately the accused.

There's been a lot of guys who have left it out on the ice especially the last couple of years. And I don't remember the exact sequence of events but if memory serves me correctly the team started to struggle with Gill and Gorges in the lineup, Markov gone and Subban struggling. Gorges went off of the radar and the Habs signed Wiz. The team ultimately survived. If one of Gill or Gorges would be gone I think the Habs would survive.

I think Gorges is overrated is I guess the bottom line for me.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Wiz was let go with allegedly no contact offered. Hamrlik walked after being strung along. The D's have dried up and there's Josh Gorges who is riding the coattails of Halak and shutting down Washington for a few games. He didn't play half a season. He's only been a fulltime player for TWO YEARS with little point production.

I'll laugh if he gets 3.25 for multiple years while other d-men were allowed to walk. Gorges is a warrior, great marketing guy but what has he done to earn that kind of contract?
"Great marketing guy"? Hamrlik was "strung along" despite being offered a contract? "Little point production", as if that's relevant to what Gorges brings? Riding Halak's coattails? So many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
More rumors swirled around him and a few others during the DDIHH than ultimately the accused.

There's been a lot of guys who have left it out on the ice especially the last couple of years. And I don't remember the exact sequence of events but if memory serves me correctly the team started to struggle with Gill and Gorges in the lineup, Markov gone and Subban struggling. Gorges went off of the radar and the Habs signed Wiz. The team ultimately survived. If one of Gill or Gorges would be gone I think the Habs would survive.

I think Gorges is overrated is I guess the bottom line for me.
C'mon Swimmer, the whole DDiHH was way overblown and we all watched it live, I do not recall Gorges being a major point in that. Gorges is a great 4 - 6 dman, put him in as 1 -3 you got trouble but he should not be put in that spot but if you do have to he will give you all he's got and then some.

Point production is not gonna from all your d men, so sure Gorges is only gonna get you 5 goals and 10 assists but that is not what he is there for.

Last edited by habfan1968: 07-05-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: too add
Old
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
"Great marketing guy"? Hamrlik was "strung along" despite being offered a contract? "Little point production", as if that's relevant to what Gorges brings? Riding Halak's coattails? So many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.
The big news one day is that Gorges was a Snowbird for a day? You didn't know? Maybe he's not as good in the marketing department as I first thought.

Hamrlik was strung along. A guy makes it well known he wants to retire in Montreal and Gauthier offers a contract hours before free agency because his other plans went amiss while Gill (who Gorges nominated) was offered a contract shortly after the season ended? Good on Hamrlik to say "no thanks".

Halak was a non factor? Okay...............

Old
07-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Stop overrating Josh Gorges. He's a good depth D man that sucks offensively and gets physically abused all the time. If he gets more than 2.5M a year I will puke and **** period blood.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
C'mon Swimmer, the whole DDiHH was way overblown and we all watched it live, I do not recall Gorges being a major point in that. Gorges is a great 4 - 6 dman, put him in as 1 -3 you got trouble but he should not be put in that spot but if you do have to he will give you all he's got and then some.

Point production is not gonna from all your d men, so sure Gorges is only gonna get you 5 goals and 10 assists but that is not what he is there for.
I recall rumors about Gorges and others before the alleged sad story came out whereby only a select group were ultimately targeted and accused. I'll leave it at that.

Gorges gives his all - so do many others. And Gorges only has 8 goals total since being a Hab and only one year has he gotten more than 10 assists.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Lions999

Gorges defensive defenceman and very good at it.Makes a good first pass and takes hit to get puck out of zone or to make a pass.He is not easy to beat,and usually comes out with puck no matter what size the player is on the other team.Gorges 27 years of age and should be good for 5 more years atleast.Captain material and not every defensemen is there to get points,he`s there to keep the puck out of his net and he does an excellent job.

Lions999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Protest the Hero

How was Hammer strung along, they offered him a one year contract(more than I would have). You don't know when they offered it, only when the media reported it.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Gorges defensive defenceman and very good at it.Makes a good first pass and takes hit to get puck out of zone or to make a pass.He is not easy to beat,and usually comes out with puck no matter what size the player is on the other team.Gorges 27 years of age and should be good for 5 more years atleast.Captain material and not every defensemen is there to get points,he`s there to keep the puck out of his net and he does an excellent job.
This read so much like a typical scouting report, that I had to search back for Gorges' scouting report coming out of the WHL. So, here it is. Interesting to compare then and now:

"Talent Analysis

Despite being only 6'0" 180 pounds, Gorges does like to play the physical game. A solid two-way defenseman at the WHL level, Gorges is undersized by NHL standards.
A solid skater with adequate speed, Gorges is a good puckmoving defenseman who's effective on the power play with a decent point shot and playmaking abilities.
A hard-working player with intensity, Gorges can (lead) verbally or by example.

Future

Long term, Gorges has the distinct possibility of becoming the Sharks third puckmoving defenseman. Despite a willingness to play the physical game, a lack of size will likely prevent Gorges from becoming more than a fourth or fifth defenseman who's able to fill in higher if needed.

Assets: Makes the most of his ability and usually limits the mistakes in the defensive zone. Is a quality teammate with sound work ethic.
Flaws:Is extremely limited in the offensive zone. Doesn't use his size nearly enough. Lacks foot speed along the backline.
Career potential: No. 6 or 7 defenseman."

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Jigger77

Gorges is anything but overrated. If anything he's underrated. You don't come across warrior types like that that are willing to bleed for this team every minute. He's the kind of guy who dives head first in front of a Chara shot in OT to save the team's ass. Of course if you look at point production you're not going to like the numbers but anyone who's loved this team and watched the game religiously over the last 3-4 years knows you don't replace him. Especially after losing Hammer.

I am worried about the D and that's even if Gorges does sign. Can't imagine losing him right now it would be brutal.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
habs_24x

Everybody knows hes going to be asked to play 20 minutes a game at least.
Try and sign him longterm at 3 mil a year. Hes worth that.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Gore Habs Go

Gorges stopped a slapshot with his face. For that alone he deserves a raise.

Gore Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:46 PM
RNiner

Swimmer, you seem a bit bitter at the Habs for letting Halak and Hammer (your countrymen) go, but you need to get over it. Part of the business. And neither has anything to do with the value of Josh Gorges, which you are attempting to measure by his worst asset (offensiveness).

He's a heart-and-soul warrior who has learned from Gill how to be an excellent #3-#4 defensive D-man. We have our PMD's, Gorges is clearly our best DDM. He deserves a 3-mil per year deal. The longer, the better. If we have to 'overpay' by .25 or .50 mil, whatever. Would certainly be far better then a 1-year deal that leads to him testing UFA next year. You've seen the signings this off-season, look how much Wiz got. Next year will be the same. If Gorges tests UFA he's out of our price range, period.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Swimmer, you seem a bit bitter at the Habs for letting Halak and Hammer (your countrymen) go, but you need to get over it. Part of the business. And neither has anything to do with the value of Josh Gorges, which you are attempting to measure by his worst asset (offensiveness).
Halak is a Slovak not Czech

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:43 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Well, you're already better than Renaud Lavoie in terms of french/english translations.
at least Lavoie is trying to learn/utilize another language unlike 80% of Anglos out there.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:28 AM
King Kovalev

Quote:

This.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:07 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Habs Go View Post
Gorges stopped a slapshot with his face. For that alone he deserves a raise.
Arbitration Council: So mister Captain Kelowna, how should we base your contract offer on.

Gorges: I think I deserve a raise cuz I've stopped a slapshot with my face.

Arbitration Council: Alright, let's find some comparables from this year.

*looking at files*

Arbitration Council: James Wiznewski stopped a slapshot with his face this year. I think we got a match!! You are qualified for a 5.5M$ offer. Congratulations!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote