HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stamkos Agrees To Five-year, $37.5m Contract With Lightning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
  #76
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?
 
Wayne Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: your mind
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Short of requesting a trade, RFA's have practically no leverage.
You aren't serious are you? If Stamkos had no leverage, he would've been signed 2 months ago...he pretty much has all of the leverage

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:08 PM
  #77
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
[/B]





It's not so much that he couldn't get one, it's that he thought Michael Leighton would be enough. BTW, where in my post do I even mention Homer?
Not trying to say the Leighton signing was a good one but did any of the FA goalies pan out last season?
Seems like they were all a bunch of dogs.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
  #78
peteo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Glenolden
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Trade for Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Schenn
Bob
Mez
1st

for

Stamkos
Clark

Get it done right now Homer
This is all BS they got their goalie game over.

peteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:11 PM
  #79
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Short of requesting a trade, RFA's have practically no leverage.
"I refuse to play for your franchise. Trade me or my rights or I'll sit at home until I get bored and head for the KHL."

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
  #80
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
"I refuse to play for your franchise. Trade me or my rights or I'll sit at home until I get bored and head for the KHL."
And if I was Yzerman I'd say go ahead and call his bluff. Yzerman isn't that gullible that Stamkos would go play in the KHL or sit out the Season at home and lose millions.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
  #81
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,642
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The most logical explanation I've heard so far is that the NHLPA is trying to pressure Stamkos to squeeze out as much money as possible to help future negotiations with other players.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
  #82
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Not trying to say the Leighton signing was a good one but did any of the FA goalies pan out last season?
Seems like they were all a bunch of dogs.


Prying Rolosson out of Long Island seemed like a very logical move at the time. You're right though, most of that free agent class underachieved or were over the hill.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
  #83
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The most logical explanation I've heard so far is that the NHLPA is trying to pressure Stamkos to squeeze out as much money as possible to help future negotiations with other players.


I would agree with this.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
  #84
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
This is all BS they got their goalie game over.
Im not really sure what you mean, but if its they have their goalie in Dwayne Roloson(41) they need to start thinking of options here. I have a feeling it might be his last year. Tampa has Tokarski, but he is no sure thing to become a regular in the NHL. Bob would give them a goalie who has a year of NHL experience under his belt and still has room to improve.

Now i also no this stamkos trade won't happen most likely, but saying their goalie situation is set because they have two goalies in net right now is silly. Every GM is always looking to get better for the right now and also the future and Bob would help the lightning out in that deal( again don't think it would ever happen, just fun to speculate)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
  #85
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Im not really sure what you mean, but if its they have their goalie in Dwayne Roloson(41) they need to start thinking of options here. I have a feeling it might be his last year. Tampa has Tokarski, but he is no sure thing to become a regular in the NHL. Bob would give them a goalie who has a year of NHL experience under his belt and still has room to improve.

Now i also no this stamkos trade won't happen most likely, but saying their goalie situation is set because they have two goalies in net right now is silly. Every GM is always looking to get better for the right now and also the future and Bob would help the lightning out in that deal( again don't think it would ever happen, just fun to speculate)


I think Peteo is talking about the Flyers in the post you're quoting.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
  #86
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,854
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
This is all BS they got their goalie game over.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but that goalie is older than dirt and may very well not have another season + playoffs left in him.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
  #87
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
To all of you saying "why not just match a monster offer sheet?"

Well, it could be they don't have the money.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:04 PM
  #88
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
And if I was Yzerman I'd say go ahead and call his bluff. Yzerman isn't that gullible that Stamkos would go play in the KHL or sit out the Season at home and lose millions.
Stamkos out of the league represents a significant loss of potential revenue.

As with Lindros and the Nordiques, the league would intervene and tell Yzerman to deal him.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:08 PM
  #89
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
To all of you saying "why not just match a monster offer sheet?"

Well, it could be they don't have the money.
If the Flyers did offer sheet Stamkos they would have to dump a lot of salary too and have no leverage in any deal to move that salary.

I also saw that the tampa bay fans always say they have the money and that it is never a problem. No offense to tampa fans but Tampa Bay was one of the teams that had an internal budget at just over 50 million this year. I also believe they said they would increase that budget this year though. But any team that has an internal budget doesnt have all the money the fans think they do. Tampa Bay fans just don't want to listen to that though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:10 PM
  #90
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
If the Flyers did offer sheet Stamkos they would have to dump a lot of salary too and have no leverage in any deal to move that salary.

I also saw that the tampa bay fans always say they have the money and that it is never a problem. No offense to tampa fans but Tampa Bay was one of the teams that had an internal budget at just over 50 million this year. I also believe they said they would increase that budget this year though. But any team that has an internal budget doesnt have all the money the fans think they do. Tampa Bay fans just don't want to listen to that though.
The TB franchise is only worth a little more than what Stamkos is asking for in a long term deal. There is a very good chance he signs for a short term deal OR goes to another team.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
  #91
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
To all of you saying "why not just match a monster offer sheet?"

Well, it could be they don't have the money.
Because Stamkos hasn't signed one for them to match.

And he wouldn't. Because Yzerman would never let him walk over a money issue. Ever.

Perhaps the silence indicates nothing. Perhaps it's indicative of player that desperately doesn't want to spend his career in a trashy, hillbilly town.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
  #92
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Because Stamkos hasn't signed one for them to match.

And he wouldn't. Because Yzerman would never let him walk over a money issue. Ever.

Perhaps the silence indicates nothing. Perhaps it's indicative of player that desperately doesn't want to spend his career in a trashy, hillbilly town.
I've been to Tampa(albeit when i was younger) but it didn't seem like a bad city, heck no place in florida seemed like a bad place to live haha. But things could have change since i was last there

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:19 PM
  #93
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
You aren't serious are you? If Stamkos had no leverage, he would've been signed 2 months ago...he pretty much has all of the leverage
Taking your ball and going home isn't exactly a strong negotiating position... Ya know, assuming he wants to play.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
  #94
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
Sam Carchidi's Twitter
Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman talked with Stamkos' agent today. "A work in progress," Yzerman told St. Pete Times. #Flyers
http://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/88439207906910208

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
  #95
Shadeslayer813
Registered User
 
Shadeslayer813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Drum
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Thats what he says every time, anyways let them overspend I want hedman anyways.

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
  #96
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Because Stamkos hasn't signed one for them to match.

And he wouldn't. Because Yzerman would never let him walk over a money issue. Ever.

Perhaps the silence indicates nothing. Perhaps it's indicative of player that desperately doesn't want to spend his career in a trashy, hillbilly town.
Yzerman isn't the one paying the bills...

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
  #97
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Not trying to say the Leighton signing was a good one but did any of the FA goalies pan out last season?
Seems like they were all a bunch of dogs.
Most of them underachieved, but they all panned out better than Leighton.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
  #98
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
As much as I'd like to see the Flyers get Stamkos, if he doesn't sign with Tampa, especially if its because they don't have enough money to sign him, that could be disastrous for the league. Tampa is supposed to be one of the successful sunbelt teams, and if they can't pony up the cash for Stamkos the NHL may as well exit the South

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
  #99
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
This is all BS they got their goalie game over.
Good call. 41 year old Roloson is definitely the goalie of the future in Tampa. He should be able to be a solid netminder until at least the age of 50... maybe even 55.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
  #100
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
You aren't serious are you? If Stamkos had no leverage, he would've been signed 2 months ago...he pretty much has all of the leverage
Stamkos is playing a pretty dangerous game. He has leverage, but if he's not careful, he could end up getting exactly what he doesn't want, being stuck long term in Tampa Bay (assuming the rumors that he doesn't want to be there are true).

He could try and a get offersheets from other teams. But any team putting in one would want it to be a long term deal. They are likely giving up 4 1st rounders, they want what they are getting to last. So he accepts a long term offersheet from some team. And now the situation is entirely out of his hands. If Tampa Bay matches, there is nothing he can do, he is stuck there for however long the offersheet was for.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.