HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is now expendable?

Old
07-05-2011, 09:52 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Why is it that every time we get a player there is someone that is "expendable"? Our bottom six is awful, and we only have 7 NHL defensemen. None of those players are expendable. We could allow our depth of top-6 forwards (weird to say that) seep onto the 3rd line, and we are going to get D-man injuries, we need Komisarek.

Komisarek is hated on so much around here. We have loads of capspace and I bet if Komi made 800K most people on here would love him. Why can't he just be our 6th-7th d-man?

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Leafssss

I'd like to do a Komi dump for dump. Us getting some incentive for getting him, like Connolly? although we would have to add to that. Wouldn't mind adding a bit, Connolly is going to be a much grittier Kessel.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:54 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Id be kinda surprised if Komisarek is still a Leaf by training camp
He is our most experienced d-man. I highly doubt we give him up for nothing. There is no point in dumping him if we don't have a 7th d-man to replace him.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Leafssss

Btw, by "expendable" I mean being able to be traded in a package or w/e to improve the team, as shown in my trade example.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

As a fan of both Edmonton and Toronto I'd like to see Komisarek in copper and blue. Sadly, he would easily be our 2nd best defenceman and Tambi is after big tough D. Assuming he needs big minutes to get back to his old form he would get it on the Oilers.

I don't know that we'd have anything you'd want in return though. I mean something that we'd actually give you. How about a 5th rounder?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
He is our most experienced d-man. I highly doubt we give him up for nothing. There is no point in dumping him if we don't have a 7th d-man to replace him.
Liles is more experienced I'm guessing and yes, we do have 7th D replacements in Lashoff/Holzer/Gysbers

Old
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDee View Post
I don't get why players become expendable. When 2nd line talent or top 4 defensemen drip into your 3rd line and pairings it's a GOOD thing.
Unless this player makes too much green.
That's Komisarek. For what he does he gets paid to much. We have better options who make less. He'll probably be back next season though.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Btw, by "expendable" I mean being able to be traded in a package or w/e to improve the team, as shown in my trade example.
Everyone is "expendable".

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Burke loves Komisarek. Who wants him and his contract anyway? If he weren't overpaid he might be traded, but as is he stays.

The Leafs are not pressed for cap room and can carry his contract this year anyway. If they can trade a more marketable defenceman for a more useful asset, Komisarek would give them more flexibility on the roster and would be handy to have around.

Also, with all the injuries to defencemen you never know when the 8th or 9th guy comes into the lineup. That's about where Komisarek might be after training camp, but he'll probably bide his time and not complain. Anything they get out of him is a bonus, because no one is depending on him for anything other than to collect his pay.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
As a fan of both Edmonton and Toronto I'd like to see Komisarek in copper and blue. Sadly, he would easily be our 2nd best defenceman and Tambi is after big tough D. Assuming he needs big minutes to get back to his old form he would get it on the Oilers.

I don't know that we'd have anything you'd want in return though. I mean something that we'd actually give you. How about a 5th rounder?
Now I am not trying to say ur value is off, but this is exactly why Burke won't trade him. There is no point in trading Komisarek for a 5th rounder. He is more valuable than that to a team that doesn't need capspace.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I never said we should trade him for nothing. Burkie always seems to find good value out there. I trust him.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Koma

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Liles is more experienced I'm guessing and yes, we do have 7th D replacements in Lashoff/Holzer/Gysbers
There is absolutely no guarantee that those players are upgrades on Komisarek. There is no chance that Lashoff is, Holzer and Gysbers i don't watch much, but I would prefer Komisarek over a couple of gigantic question-marks. Especially since (as I said before) we don't need any cap room so dumping Komi is useless.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Nobody.

While Komi is overpaid for what he's been producing the last two years, we still need as many D-men with NHL experience as we can. We're relying on Aulie and Gunnar to be major parts of the D. Both are very young, and could easily take a massive step back.

With the forwards, we have nobody in our bottom 6 or in the system that you can say with certainty will be able to play in the top 6 this season. Now, if Kadri for example has a big season, well then one of the forwards (likely Lupul or MacArthur) becomes more moveable. But thats no guarantee.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:04 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I never said we should trade him for nothing. Burkie always seems to find good value out there. I trust him.
Sure if you can get value for him then fine, but I don't think you get much more than a 2nd rounder at best. I don't think you get an NHL player for him because of his salary. If his salary is ignored though he is a solid player. Very similar to the McCabe situation. talent/dollar is not very high for Komisarek, but he still has talent.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto View Post
Everyone is "expendable".
Yes, but I named players that play positions that we have good depth in.

Old
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Mike Komisarek
Mikhail Grabovski (in package to upgrade 1C)
Jonas Gustavsson (if he improves stock)

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
unstuck

We have many lesser-D-men now, so Komi or Gunnarsson or Lashoff (but not all 3) could theoretically go

NO to Lupul!!! He's the best acquisition we got all year, a productive top 6 forward!!!

unstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Tombernack

I like Burke's philosophy of making people battle for jobs. If you trade all the depth, jobs become incredibly easy to come by on this team.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Now I am not trying to say ur value is off, but this is exactly why Burke won't trade him. There is no point in trading Komisarek for a 5th rounder. He is more valuable than that to a team that doesn't need capspace.
Exactly. He's a depth guy now. A reserve.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
If Burke tries to trade Komi 1:1 then you are correct, but if he is included in a package then things get interesting, especially if its a team with no defense and a lot of cash or below the cap floor.

Quote:
There is absolutely no guarantee that those players are upgrades on Komisarek. There is no chance that Lashoff is, Holzer and Gysbers i don't watch much, but I would prefer Komisarek over a couple of gigantic question-marks. Especially since (as I said before) we don't need any cap room so dumping Komi is useless.
As a 7th d-man they don't have to be ...they just need to get ice time to develop their skills.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
How is their no way for Komisarek to redeem himself? He still what 2 years? 3 left? If he plays solid this year hes redeemed and no one will care (except those who dont actually watch games and just ***** about large cap hits for the sake of it).

I don't think you can have 1 good year and redeem yourself. That doesn't make up for the 2 that you've been bad for.

And Komisarek won't get minutes to prove anything. He might get 10 minutes a game now and that's about it (depending on injury).

And I do watch the games. And I notice that he chases the play in his own end way to much to be effective, making him out of position. That's suppose to be his game too because he's definitely not putting up the points.

Ohhh, and in the salary cap era you do have to worry about large cap hits!

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Komisarek's cap hit needs to go.

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
nick942

I think the point of adding these players was to fill out our depleted roster and increase depth. Although Burke has surprised me before, I don't think many major moves are left on Burke's checklist for this off-season.

nick942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Vinner

Our forwards are still mediocre and our goaltending is unproven.

Our blueline is 7 deep. If a couple defenseman go down, who would you want to play big minutes? Komisarek or Lashoff? Try to not think about cap hit before answering that.

Unless Komisarek can be moved for a forward upgrade, or his movement allows another significant add to the forward group, then there is really no sense in moving him. What free agents are left that we can't sign, but would be able to if we didn't have Komisarek?

Hold onto him for a year, or until the trade deadline. His actual salary drops quite a bit, so he might be a more desirable asset at that point. Especially, if he plays well. If he plays so poorly that he ruins any fragment of value that still remains, Jeff Finger is off the books and I hear the Marlies are interested.

Vinner is offline   Reply With Quote