HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of Vermette sticking?

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Chances of Vermette sticking?

What are your thoughts on Vermette sticking. And Also what do you think the lines will look like now that Havlats back.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:46 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
i'd say very small.

my ideal lines would be
schastlivy white alfredsson
schaefer bonk hossa
smoke spezza havlat
varada vanallen neil

when fisher comes back, bench van allen
as you can see though, no room for vermette

Old
10-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Vermette will be sent down when everyone is healthy. The Sens want to keep 8 d-men, which means only 13 forwards, which means that when Fisher is healthy and there are no other injuries, Vermette is the odd man out. He also needs to play more than 10 minutes per night.

The caveat to that is obviously "when everyone is healthy".

We'll have a better idea on the lines tomorrow, but I don't think there will be any major shake-ups.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Skrymir

Yeah Vermette will be sent down once Fisher is ready to play again (as long as there aer no other injuries between now and then... knock on wood). IMO it's just a numbers game for Vermette right now. Too many people on one way contracts for him to stick in a healthy sens lineup.

It'll be interesting to see if Vermette stays in the lineup when Havlat's ready to go. If it were up to me you'd see Vermette Centre the 4th line between Schaefer and Neil, and sit Van Allen.

Assuming Havlat is ready for the next Game this is how I see the lines:

White - Spezza - Alfredsson
Varada - Bonk - Hossa
Schastlivy - Smolinski - Havlat
Schaefer - Vermette* - Neil

*probably Van Allen here but I can hope.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Volchenkov

I think they'll keep vermette up until Fisher gets back. They'll want him to get a few games under his belt.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Iced

When is Fisher expected back? Though we (here in Binghamton) are really proud of Vermette making the big club out of camp, we are really counting on him being a huge part of our club here.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced
When is Fisher expected back? Though we (here in Binghamton) are really proud of Vermette making the big club out of camp, we are really counting on him being a huge part of our club here.
I think he'll be back after the california road trip.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Foster

Send a message via AIM to Foster Send a message via MSN to Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I think they'll keep vermette up until Fisher gets back. They'll want him to get a few games under his belt.
I would say that this is true. Vermette will most certainley be sent down to Binghamton (where he will be big) when the Fish gets back. Vermette will help Binghamton, now that the exprence has hit him.

The only way he would stay up is if someone else got banged up.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I think he'll be back after the california road trip.
I think this is a bit oiptimistic for fishers return... I think the earliest Vermette is returned is after next weekends games

Old
10-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Iced

Since I posted my question, I've done some research and found that the earliest expected time back for Fisher is around November 1st. Now, I won't say that this is gospel, but it allows a little room for error. Thus, I would expect Vermette to be back in Binghamton around the time that our guys get back from their 2 game trip to Manitoba (10/26 & 28).

Old
10-18-2003, 09:29 AM
CFABoy

It is better for Vermette to play 1st line minutes at Bimg vs 4th line minutes in the NHL. He's had a taste of the big show and should be motivated as hell to get back with good play in the AHL.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir
Schaefer - Vermette* - Neil
I have a question, but did not want to start a new thread for it. Can you guys give me a bit of information on Neil? I know he is a fighter type, but I also see that he chips in offensively moreso than other fighter types. I don't get to see Ottawa games, except maybe a a few each year, so I'm wondering what type of goals he gets? Does he have decent skills and hockey sense? Thanks for any info.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:02 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Vermette is better served right now to be in the AHL I think...but I"ve noticed that his ice time has been going up a bit every game plays. In tonights game against SJ he had more minutes than Neil.

I highly doubt that with everyone healthy that he'll stick around this year, but his play has been promising for sure.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
I have a question, but did not want to start a new thread for it. Can you guys give me a bit of information on Neil? I know he is a fighter type, but I also see that he chips in offensively moreso than other fighter types. I don't get to see Ottawa games, except maybe a a few each year, so I'm wondering what type of goals he gets? Does he have decent skills and hockey sense? Thanks for any info.
Neil has decent offensive skills. He has a hard shot which isn't too accurate and can skate around some 3rd pairing defensemen. His main skill offensively is just banging into everything in sight and thus wearing down the opposition. Neil should crack the 10 goal plateau again this season. He scored 10 in his rookie season and probably would have scored 10 last season except that he was battling injuries all season long.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Neil actually has very good hands, and can dangle when called upon. Better puck control than 90% of the enforcers out there. 15 goals is not beyond possibility at some point in his career, although if he continues to get only 10 minutes or less a game in ice time, that will be tough in Ottawa. His production will be lower in Ottawa than it would be on most other teams.

Keep in mind Radek Bonk only scored 11 even strength goals last year. Hitting 10 goals without special teams play and around 10 minutes in ice-time per game is no small accomplishment.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:08 AM
BigDaddy

vCash:
For what it's worth; Fisher said in the paper today that his elbow is not healing as quick as he'd like. Early November is an optomistic date, it could be longer.

Old
10-20-2003, 12:45 PM
lafite

Quote:
Like most fighters, Neil plays on the 4th line. He is more skilled than a goon, and also benefits by playing with Van Allen, who is more offensively talented than your average 4th line centre. The toughest part of Neil's job is not scoring, but being the only fighter on the team. That's got to be tough when playing someone like Toronto and he is challenged by Domi, Belac, and maybe a couple of more guys. He earns his money.

Closed Thread