HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Rookie-watch '11

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
  #1
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Flyers Rookie-watch '11

Line 1
Line 2
Nodl - ______ - Simmonds
Shelley - Talbot - _____
Betts

Right now, there are two spots left on the roster, and with the team likely finished acquiring free agents and making trades, that means some new faces are going to be given chances to make the team before the season starts. Here are the rookie forwards to watch:


-Brayden Schenn (19) -- 6 ft 0 in, 196 lb
-Sean Couturier (18) -- 6 ft 4 in, 192 lb
-Eric Wellwood (21) -- 5 ft 11 in, 180 lb
-Zac Rinaldo (21) -- 5 ft 11 in, 180 lb
-Tom Sestito (23) -- 6 ft 5 in, 228 lb
-Ben Holmstrom (24) -- 6 ft 1 in, 197 lb
-Mike Testwuide (24) -- 6 ft 3 in, 210 lb
-Matt Read (25) -- 5 ft 11 in, 190 lb
-Jason Akeson (21) -- 5 ft 10 in, 190 lb


The bottom 6 (or 7) is in flux. There's a vacancy at the 3C. Schenn is the leading candidate and Couturier is a long, defensively-minded dark-horse who needs to fill out his frame.

Is the team happy enough with Shelley to dress him on a regular basis? What is Betts capable of providing with his bad shoulders? Talbot looks to be a sure thing on the 4th line. But another role player is needed in the absence of Darroll Powe. He was likely traded in the hopes that one of the prospects could replace his minutes. The team could also be looking for a new agitating presence since parting ways with Dan Carcillo.

Obviously there are going to be injuries and call-ups throughout the year, but two of these guys have a shot at regular roles throughout the season. Who do you want to see? What specific skills do they bring? Who do you think will make it?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
  #2
Gibbs18
Registered User
 
Gibbs18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Elmer, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Holy ****...Couts is like a toothpick. He needs to gain weight if hes gonna play in the NHL. I see Schenn getting 3rd center and maybe Holmstrom or Rinaldo on 4th line.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:55 PM
  #3
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Unless we sign someone else, Schenn already made this team.

My short list of players to watch in camp:

Top 9: Couturier, Wellwood, Read, Testwuide
Fourth Line: Holmstrom, Sestito, Rinaldo
Defense: Gustafsson, Marshall

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:24 PM
  #4
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Unless we sign someone else, Schenn already made this team.

My short list of players to watch in camp:

Top 9: Couturier, Wellwood, Read, Testwuide
Fourth Line: Holmstrom, Sestito, Rinaldo
Defense: Gustafsson, Marshall
Pretty much in agreement with your list. I am looking forward to see what Marshall can bring to the pro game. When it comes to Sean, I would not mind him staying in junior for another year. But this will be his fourth so if can can make it with the big club more power to him.

I think Schenn will have to fall flat on his face in order not to make the club. Here is hoping all the so called experts finally have it right in their assessment of this kid's talent and potential.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
  #5
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
Holy ****...Couts is like a toothpick. He needs to gain weight if hes gonna play in the NHL. I see Schenn getting 3rd center and maybe Holmstrom or Rinaldo on 4th line.
he's still just a teenager, he'll fill out, he's already planning on bulking up to contend for a roster spot

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
  #6
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,709
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
Holy ****...Couts is like a toothpick. He needs to gain weight if hes gonna play in the NHL.
I've seen him listed as high as 196, which is 4-8 lbs less than Carter, and an inch taller. For an 18 year old, thats really not too bad. But another 10 lbs of muscle won't hurt anyone.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:06 PM
  #7
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I've seen him listed as high as 196, which is 4-8 lbs less than Carter, and an inch taller. For an 18 year old, thats really not too bad. But another 10 lbs of muscle won't hurt anyone.
Also, I'm sure with the never-ending amount of centers coming and going from this team, Couts will want to prove himself even more. Asking a professional athlete, let alone a top 10 pick to gain some weight is not a big deal. Excited for the dude!

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
  #8
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Pulling for Setito personally.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:11 PM
  #9
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Also, I'm sure with the never-ending amount of centers coming and going from this team, Couts will want to prove himself even more. Asking a professional athlete, let alone a top 10 pick to gain some weight is not a big deal. Excited for the dude!
I'm confident Couts can play a little wing here. In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:12 PM
  #10
ONTHEFLYGUY
Registered User
 
ONTHEFLYGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Setito I think will make it and matt read is a favorite of mine

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:24 PM
  #11
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
I really hope they leave Couturier in junior. To quote Ken Campbell, "There are very few, if any, examples of careers ruined by patience, but hockey's scrap heap is rife with player rushed too early."

As for other rookie candidates, Schenn should make the team. I'd like to see Sestito as well.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
  #12
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Unless anything else drastic is made to the roster Schenn should have a spot for sure. If we don't add one more ufa, I hope Wellwood perform good enough to take the final spot in the lineup, moving Nödl to the 4th line with Betts and Talbot.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
  #13
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm confident Couts can play a little wing here. In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all.
So are we going to have Coatsey and Coutsey?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
  #14
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm confident Couts can play a little wing here. In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all.
I'd rather Schenn play wing than Couturier if Couturier proves he's good enough to make the team.

Schenn's skill set can handle the transition whereas I can see a shift to the wing would actually slow Couturier's development. As a two way forward, Couturier probably needs to experience the responsibilities of an NHL center more than a player like Schenn does at this point in his career.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
  #15
anthockey77
Registered User
 
anthockey77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
Rookie Camp

when does rookie camp start? quick search online didn't give me any answers. Thanks in advance

anthockey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
  #16
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,657
vCash: 500
Cant remember where I saw it but 9:00


EDIT:
Quote:
July 6, 7, 9, 10 – 9:00 AM to 12:15 PM
July 11 – 9:00 to 11:00 AM
-Flyers.com

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
  #17
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
henstly i see them getting away from the top 9 and going with a more legit bottom 6.

nodl talbot simmonds
_____betts ______

shelly

with betts possibly shifting to wing if somebody can really impress in the dot.

come training camp im wondering how phantoms veterans legain and kalinski perform and whether they get serious looks and with rookie camp how ranford and pither compare to highly touted guys. see who ups their game now that thers more talent around

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
  #18
Pata93
Registered User
 
Pata93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Last year in Columbus, Sestito was called up and was simply awesome. Scored two goals and collected two assists in 9 games. They sent him down only to prevent losing on waivers if he played one more game. He even played on the second power-play unit to stay in front of the net. Arniel simply loved him.

He'd fit perfectly on the fourth I think.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
  #19
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata93 View Post
Last year in Columbus, Sestito was called up and was simply awesome. Scored two goals and collected two assists in 9 games. They sent him down only to prevent losing on waivers if he played one more game. He even played on the second power-play unit to stay in front of the net. Arniel simply loved him.

He'd fit perfectly on the fourth I think.
Let's hope he can pull this off then. I love his personality and attitude toward playing in Philadelphia and would love to see it translate to on-ice success.

We gave up a pretty good prospect for him after all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
  #20
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Wellwood, Schenn, Holmstrom, and Gustafsson on the official new Flyers roster.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Wellwood and Holmstrom right now are my favorites out of Couturier, Wellwood, Holmstrom, Read, Rinaldo, and Testwuide.

I'm also assuming now that Schenn and Gus are pretty much set to go.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:03 PM
  #21
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Wellwood, Schenn, Holmstrom, and Gustafsson on the official new Flyers roster.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Wellwood and Holmstrom right now are my favorites out of Couturier, Wellwood, Holmstrom, Read, Rinaldo, and Testwuide.

I'm also assuming now that Schenn and Gus are pretty much set to go.
How is Gus really set to make the roster? One would assume he's coming in to compete with Lilja for the 6 spot, but if he doesn't get it he's probably back down on the Phantoms, no?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:04 PM
  #22
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Let's hope he can pull this off then. I love his personality and attitude toward playing in Philadelphia and would love to see it translate to on-ice success.

We gave up a pretty good prospect for him after all.
Was that a joke? Which "good" prospect did we give up for him?

If you're talking about Chaput, he's nothing special...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
  #23
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Was that a joke? Which "good" prospect did we give up for him?
Chaput was pretty good. Not great, not a world beater.

You're overreacting as if he was Klotz or something. It's embarrassing how quickly some people on this board overreact to nothing just because they feel like it.

I was never entirely sold on Chaput putting any kind of NHL offense together, but the Flyers really thought highly of him as a two-way forward. He was on their radar, and for them to give up on him so quickly for someone like Sestito, they had to have really liked Sestito.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
  #24
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Chaput was pretty good. Not great, not a world beater.

You're overreacting as if he was Klotz or something. It's embarrassing how quickly some people on this board overreact to nothing just because they feel like it.

I was never entirely sold on Chaput putting any kind of NHL offense together, but the Flyers really thought highly of him as a two-way forward. He was on their radar, and for them to give up on him so quickly for someone like Sestito, they had to have really liked Sestito.
Wasn't trying to overreact, I just think you were stretching in your use of the word "good".

Good to me means "likely to be at least a 3rd line forward in the NHL", which Chaput is far from.

I realize looking @ prospects is kind of your job here, so maybe you throw that word around more loosely... but to me Chaput is far from good.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:20 PM
  #25
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
How is Gus really set to make the roster? One would assume he's coming in to compete with Lilja for the 6 spot, but if he doesn't get it he's probably back down on the Phantoms, no?
Yeah, but I see it more as if it's Gus's job to lose at this point with Lilja and Bartulis competing for the 7th.

While it could end up with Gus not starting this season in the NHL, if he's ready I don't see any way he finishes the season in the AHL. From everything I've seen up until this point, he appears ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Wasn't trying to overreact, I just think you were stretching in your use of the word "good".

Good to me means "likely to be at least a 3rd line forward in the NHL", which Chaput is far from.

I realize looking @ prospects is kind of your job here, so maybe you throw that word around more loosely... but to me Chaput is far from good.
So Chaput was bad?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.