HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stamkos Agrees To Five-year, $37.5m Contract With Lightning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
  #101
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
As much as I'd like to see the Flyers get Stamkos, if he doesn't sign with Tampa, especially if its because they don't have enough money to sign him, that could be disastrous for the league. Tampa is supposed to be one of the successful sunbelt teams, and if they can't pony up the cash for Stamkos the NHL may as well exit the South
They apparently lost 20+ million last year.

It is what it is.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:36 PM
  #102
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?
 
In G We Trust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: south nj
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Stamkos is playing a pretty dangerous game. He has leverage, but if he's not careful, he could end up getting exactly what he doesn't want, being stuck long term in Tampa Bay (assuming the rumors that he doesn't want to be there are true).

He could try and a get offersheets from other teams. But any team putting in one would want it to be a long term deal. They are likely giving up 4 1st rounders, they want what they are getting to last. So he accepts a long term offersheet from some team. And now the situation is entirely out of his hands. If Tampa Bay matches, there is nothing he can do, he is stuck there for however long the offersheet was for.
Stamkos also has to accept the offer sheet as well so he could pretty much tell tampa he won't accept an offer sheet to another team and he just wants a 1 year deal.

In G We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
  #103
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Stamkos also has to accept the offer sheet as well so he could pretty much tell tampa he won't accept an offer sheet to another team and he just wants a 1 year deal.
Not the end of the world for TB.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:45 PM
  #104
Readyrock
(・_・;)
 
Readyrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They apparently lost 20+ million last year.

It is what it is.
A lot of that is the new owner on a spending spree, renovating and rebranding.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
  #105
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
A lot of that is the new owner on a spending spree, renovating and rebranding.
That's not how it works...

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  #106
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Because Stamkos hasn't signed one for them to match.

And he wouldn't. Because Yzerman would never let him walk over a money issue. Ever.

Perhaps the silence indicates nothing. Perhaps it's indicative of player that desperately doesn't want to spend his career in a trashy, hillbilly town.
Really? Tampa is awesome...one of the better places in florida...clearwater beach, ybor city, etc...its a shame its not more of a hockey town bc its an awesome city. I liked it better than fort lauderdale. If I played hockey u would have to drag me out kicking to leave tampa

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:19 AM
  #107
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I'd do that deal in a heart beat.

So that means we would have traded Carter + Richards + Bobrovsky + 1st for Stamkos + Voracek + Couturier + Simmonds + 2nd + 3rd.

That would make this off season a little easier to swallow.

Actually, it would look more like this:

Carter + Richards + Bobrovsky + Meszaros (we have to trade him for cap reasons) + 1st + 3rd for Stamkos + Voracek + Couturier + Simmonds + Bryz + 2nd + 3rd

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:37 AM
  #108
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Actually, it would look more like this:

Carter + Richards + Bobrovsky + Meszaros (we have to trade him for cap reasons) + 1st + 3rd for Stamkos + Voracek + Couturier + Simmonds + Bryz + 2nd + 3rd
If you put it like that, this offseason would be pretty ****ing awesome. Although I might send Couturier out and keep Schenn, since we need as many NHL-ready players ready to go out as possible.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:39 AM
  #109
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
If you put it like that, this offseason would be pretty ****ing awesome. Although I might send Couturier out and keep Schenn, since we need as many NHL-ready players ready to go out as possible.
Can't. We need to shed Schenns salary to get under the cap limit. He is another cap casualty in aquiring Stamkos.


In truth, the REAL moves would look like this:

Out - Richards, Carter, Versteeg, Leino, Powe, Meszaros, O'Donnell, Bobrovski & Boucher

In - Stamkos, ????, Voracek, Simmons, Talbot, Gustafsson, Lilja, Bryz & ????


Stamkos > Carter
???? < Richards
Voracek < Versteeg
Simmons ??? Leino (very differnt players)
Talbot < Powe
Gustafsson < Meszaros
Lilja < O'Donnell
Bryz > Bob
??? = Boucher

We got better in goal and in a scoring center, worse in everything else. Not quite as picturess as you might think, at least not just for next season. Beyond next season the ??? (we'll call it Couturier for now) may be better than Richards but it's unlikely. Voracek MAY turn out to be better than Versteeg (and he SHOULD) but right now that's not the case. Simmons HOPEFULLY can become a replacement for Hartnell (again a different player than Leino so no real comparison here). Talbot won't EVER be as good as Powe any more in his career (injuries have robbed him and causing a decline in his playing ability already at his age). We can only HOPE to God that Gustafsson becomes as good as Meszaros and I'm not even the biggest Mesz fan out there. Bob could easily become a true #1 goalie and top 10 goalie in the league for the next 15+ years, something we will be lacking in about 5 years once Bryz is old and out the door for the KHL.

This can EASILY become an offseason that in hindsight we are a laughing stock of the league. Maybe it pans out, maybe it blows up in our face.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:01 AM
  #110
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Can't. We need to shed Schenns salary to get under the cap limit. He is another cap casualty in aquiring Stamkos.


In truth, the REAL moves would look like this:

Out - Richards, Carter, Versteeg, Leino, Powe, Meszaros, O'Donnell, Bobrovski & Boucher

In - Stamkos, ????, Voracek, Simmons, Talbot, Gustafsson, Lilja, Bryz & ????


Stamkos > Carter
???? < Richards
Voracek < Versteeg
Simmons ??? Leino (very differnt players)
Talbot < Powe
Gustafsson < Meszaros
Lilja < O'Donnell
Bryz > Bob
??? = Boucher

We got better in goal and in a scoring center, worse in everything else. Not quite as picturess as you might think, at least not just for next season. Beyond next season the ??? (we'll call it Couturier for now) may be better than Richards but it's unlikely. Voracek MAY turn out to be better than Versteeg (and he SHOULD) but right now that's not the case. Simmons HOPEFULLY can become a replacement for Hartnell (again a different player than Leino so no real comparison here). Talbot won't EVER be as good as Powe any more in his career (injuries have robbed him and causing a decline in his playing ability already at his age). We can only HOPE to God that Gustafsson becomes as good as Meszaros and I'm not even the biggest Mesz fan out there. Bob could easily become a true #1 goalie and top 10 goalie in the league for the next 15+ years, something we will be lacking in about 5 years once Bryz is old and out the door for the KHL.

This can EASILY become an offseason that in hindsight we are a laughing stock of the league. Maybe it pans out, maybe it blows up in our face.
Let's try this again...

Stamkos >> Carter
???????? << Richards
Voracek > Versteeg (Voracek is 21 and has more points last 2 years than Versteeg, despite playing w/ less capable line-mates)
Jagr > Leino (you forgot about Jagr in your post.)
Simmonds > ???? (nobody to compare to)
Talbot > Powe (We shipped Powe out for a reason... Powe signed for less for a reason... Talbot has more points and is a better PK option. I hope you don't seriously think we got rid of Powe just for a 3rd round pick... we did so to improve the team by signing Talbot)
Gustafsson < Meszaros
Lilja < O'Donnell (O'Donnell @ his best is better, but he wears down more than Lilja, it's close but I guess give it to O'Donnell) Bartulis might be better than them both...
Bryz >> Bob
??? = Boucher (Any capable backup is pretty much the same as Boosh)
Couturier >> ????

I'd say this offseason would be a win for us...

And honestly, I don't think a team is ever getting Schenn, Meszaros, and Bob from us.

If they're taking Mesz, it will be Mesz + Bob + maybe Simmonds + picks.

If they're taking Schenn, it's Schenn+Bob+lower picks.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:36 AM
  #111
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The most logical explanation I've heard so far is that the NHLPA is trying to pressure Stamkos to squeeze out as much money as possible to help future negotiations with other players.
I've seen this explanation elsewhere--perhaps on the Tampa boards?

I'm just not convinced. It seems a convenient way for a fan-base to get around "blaming" their star player for slow-playing the team, but what leverage does the NHLPA have over a guy of Stamkos' caliber and visibility? Of course they want him to sign for more--that doesn't make them the stumbling block anymore than his agent, who has a natural interest a larger contrast as well.

Ultimately its the player's call--not the union, and not the agent. I think blaming "outside" pressure for the delay in finalizing the deal misrepresents the situation.

I do believe that he is holding out for a slightly higher paycheck than Tampa is willing to give, and that the two sides will eventually find some middle ground as the season gets closer.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:03 AM
  #112
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
My opinion is that there is no way we make a deal for him.Did I think we would move Jeff and Mike? No,but I thought there was a chance it could happen with just about any of our players save JVR and G.(to get either one of them someone would have to seriously overpay). Sure TB lost money. But they have a new owner who vows to make it work down there,and if they lost one of their major draws they would even show a negative profit margin of far greater value in the years to come. By the time it is all said and done TB will have resigned him or another team is going to have to seriously overpay them in order to get his rights. Then he is going to have to be signed and it looks like he wants in the neighborhood of 8 million + a year if the so called media reports are true about him rejecting the 7.4 per year deal. I think the Flyers brass are going to sit back and take a look at their prospects to see who has a shot at the big club and move on. I do not expect any move major moves happing this off season. I think we have been through enough. Don't you?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:25 AM
  #113
EvanOberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Love all the assuming going on in here. Stamkos doesnt want to play in TB. They cant afford him their owner lost millions. Keep making excuses to make it seem like hes gonna be a Flyer.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
  #114
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Love all the assuming going on in here. Stamkos doesnt want to play in TB. They cant afford him their owner lost millions. Keep making excuses to make it seem like hes gonna be a Flyer.
I think people are just curious far more than they actually care.

Stamkos is awesome and all, but I can think of far more beneficial ways to blow assets.

I will say though that Homer finds the most creative ways to deplete organizational assets. Acquiring Stamkos would fall into that "creative" category.

Either way, there's nothing more ridiculous than Tampa Bay fans coming here to "defend their organizational honor" in the Stamkos matter.

Facts. Tampa Bay is losing money. Stamkos is still not signed. The Flyers were at one point interested in making an attempt to acquire Stamkos.

That makes this thread seem a little more plausible than not regardless of whether or not Stamkos leaves Tampa.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
  #115
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Love all the assuming going on in here. Stamkos doesnt want to play in TB. They cant afford him their owner lost millions. Keep making excuses to make it seem like hes gonna be a Flyer.
Why isn't he signed then?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:43 AM
  #116
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Love all the assuming going on in here. Stamkos doesnt want to play in TB. They cant afford him their owner lost millions. Keep making excuses to make it seem like hes gonna be a Flyer.
Really felt the need to stop by to say this? Really?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:57 AM
  #117
EvanOberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Why isn't he signed then?
Steve Yzermans the reason. Hes making sure that we dont have to break the bank because he comes from a great organization that knows that you need to spend wisely. You cant just put all your money into one player for many reasons. We already know that with Vinny and when we had to get rid of Richards after giving him his contract. We just werent the same team anymore after that. Also team chemistry can be affected when you give these huge contracts out. We also will need some other money to get a franchise goalie at some point. He also understands that Stamkos is what will put fans in the seats at the Forum. So trying to do his job correctly, hes trying to make the deal a good one so that in the future he can still spend when he needs to and to keep the player that will put fans in the seats. Sometimes to be a good GM you cant just be the quick sign guy and be the guy who trys to quickly satisfy fans. Watch next season when tavares gets the same money that Stamkos gets because he was a number one overall pick. Their GM will go the easy route to satisfy fans and will hurt his team in the process.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:01 AM
  #118
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Steve Yzermans the reason. Hes making sure that we dont have to break the bank because he comes from a great organization that knows that you need to spend wisely. You cant just put all your money into one player for many reasons. We already know that with Vinny and when we had to get rid of Richards after giving him his contract. We just werent the same team anymore after that. Also team chemistry can be affected when you give these huge contracts out. We also will need some other money to get a franchise goalie at some point. He also understands that Stamkos is what will put fans in the seats at the Forum. So trying to do his job correctly, hes trying to make the deal a good one so that in the future he can still spend when he needs to and to keep the player that will put fans in the seats. Sometimes to be a good GM you cant just be the quick sign guy and be the guy who trys to quickly satisfy fans.
So basically what you're saying is that if a team were to send Stamkos an offer sheet that exceeds the number Yzerman has in his head for him, Yzerman would not be excited about matching it because he knows you need to spend wisely.

You're also saying that if Stamkos' demands are too high, Yzerman wouldn't force anything but instead seek other ways to forward the organization without Stamkos by means of trade.

Sounds like this thread is pretty plausible to me.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
  #119
EvanOberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
So basically what you're saying is that if a team were to send Stamkos an offer sheet that exceeds the number Yzerman has in his head for him, Yzerman would not be excited about matching it because he knows you need to spend wisely.

You're also saying that if Stamkos' demands are too high, Yzerman wouldn't force anything but instead seek other ways to forward the organization without Stamkos by means of trade.

Sounds like this thread is pretty plausible to me.
Well I dont think its heading in that direction. Of course its one fans view of the situation from the outside looking in. I think what Yzerman is doing is basically trying to get the number down as much as possible. I still think he resigns because of what he does for the Lightning. However getting his number down sure makes SY's job as a GM a hell of a lot easier. Wouldnt you say. Although he is SY. We did get Bergenheim for nothing last year and he ends up being one of the top scorers in the postseason. He seems to know what kind of players we need for our role guys. I really just think hes trying to play it super safe. In the end he will sign.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
  #120
flyguys7475
Registered User
 
flyguys7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
i cant remember..is stamkos a good passer? i know the guy can shoot but you never hear about anything else besides his shot

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:27 AM
  #121
PuckBoy33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Stamkos is cover boy.

Have you seen the cover of NHL11?

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
  #122
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Well I dont think its heading in that direction.
I don't necessarily think he's leaving Tampa either, but it seems kind of pointless to come to a Flyers board and bash a thread about Stamkos moving when it is entirely plausible and all the points brought up are accurate.

Whether or not Stamkos is leaving, it makes the Tampa fanbase seem like a group of children jamming their fingers in their ears and shouting, "Nuh-uh, Nuh-uh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Of course its one fans view of the situation from the outside looking in. I think what Yzerman is doing is basically trying to get the number down as much as possible. I still think he resigns because of what he does for the Lightning. However getting his number down sure makes SY's job as a GM a hell of a lot easier. Wouldnt you say. Although he is SY.
Any player signing for cheaper helps any GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
We did get Bergenheim for nothing last year and he ends up being one of the top scorers in the postseason. He seems to know what kind of players we need for our role guys.
We got Leino for nothing, and he ended up being one of the best players in the postseason the year we went to the Finals.

Now, despite his play, he is gone for a good reason. Part of that was money, and part of it was the fact that he was not really as good as his postseason numbers indicated otherwise he would've been worth the money he asked for.

I don't consider Holmgren a genius for acquiring Leino, and I don't consider Yzerman a genius for acquiring Bergenheim.

They are just solid moves that end up paying far better than expected dividends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
I really just think hes trying to play it super safe. In the end he will sign.
Only four people know what's really going on: Yzerman, Stamkos, Stamkos' agent, and the owner.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
  #123
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Love all the assuming going on in here. Stamkos doesnt want to play in TB. They cant afford him their owner lost millions. Keep making excuses to make it seem like hes gonna be a Flyer.
Then stay off our site if you do not like what you read! Get him signed and it will stop all of this. Blame your two Steve's not us.

PS Do not forget to put on your sunblock and bug spray when you go out down there.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
  #124
EvanOberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I don't necessarily think he's leaving Tampa either, but it seems kind of pointless to come to a Flyers board and bash a thread about Stamkos moving when it is entirely plausible and all the points brought up are accurate.

Whether or not Stamkos is leaving, it makes the Tampa fanbase seem like a group of children jamming their fingers in their ears and shouting, "Nuh-uh, Nuh-uh!"



Any player signing for cheaper helps any GM.



We got Leino for nothing, and he ended up being one of the best players in the postseason the year we went to the Finals.

Now, despite his play, he is gone for a good reason. Part of that was money, and part of it was the fact that he was not really as good as his postseason numbers indicated otherwise he would've been worth the money he asked for.

I don't consider Holmgren a genius for acquiring Leino, and I don't consider Yzerman a genius for acquiring Bergenheim.

They are just solid moves that end up paying far better than expected dividends.



Only four people know what's really going on: Yzerman, Stamkos, Stamkos' agent, and the owner.
Same happened with us and Bergenheim. I think he wasnt as good as a player but was more a product of the system and he played his role well. Now hes going to have to play another role. Thats what happens when you get a raise. Wont argue with the rest. Also whats wrong with being a bunch of kids... arent we all kids at heart

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
  #125
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
At first I wanted Stamkos really bad..... Now I'm all, "meh, whatever."

I really want to see what these young kids can do in the next couple of years. If it does not seem to work out we have plenty of cash to get some veteran UFA after Carle and Timonen come off the books. Also, if the cap keeps rising (and some other players lesser players are taken off the books) we could have as much as 12-15 million to sign some top end talent.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.