HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gorges???? (filed for salary arbitration - hearing set for July 28th)

Old
07-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Marksman

vCash: 500
I think one year award for about 2.5M is good deal for both sides. Big raise - and opportunity to see how he has recovered.

If it gets too expensive, I would look into re-signing Sopel for couple years for the same money Gill makes.

Sopel brings about the same game as Gorges, solves the problem of having to play Gorges/Spacek on the right side. Also we could use veteran partner to play there alongside with Emelin if he makes the cut.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:18 AM
HotPie

Sopel does not play the same game as Gorges.

Wow...

Sometimes I wonder how many people here ACTUALLY play hockey, because clearly some people here don't understand how much of a beast Gorges is defensively.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:27 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

7-years, $21M.

Do it up.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Sad that it comes to this....hopefully they get something resolve BEFORE this arbitration hearing...not sure good things come out of that exercise...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:08 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Swimmer, you seem a bit bitter at the Habs for letting Halak and Hammer (your countrymen) go, but you need to get over it. Part of the business. And neither has anything to do with the value of Josh Gorges, which you are attempting to measure by his worst asset (offensiveness).

He's a heart-and-soul warrior who has learned from Gill how to be an excellent #3-#4 defensive D-man. We have our PMD's, Gorges is clearly our best DDM. He deserves a 3-mil per year deal. The longer, the better. If we have to 'overpay' by .25 or .50 mil, whatever. Would certainly be far better then a 1-year deal that leads to him testing UFA next year. You've seen the signings this off-season, look how much Wiz got. Next year will be the same. If Gorges tests UFA he's out of our price range, period.
Not bitter about anything. Actually I'm trying to understand Gauthier's thought process and granted I'm having a tough time.

The Halak deal I completely understood. I didn't like it but understood it 100 %. I'm not as confident in Gauthier's ability to rebuild the D. I do think Gorges is overrated. I think at best he is a good # 4 d-man in short term spurts. That's all. What annoys me the most about Gorges is his inherent ability to be pushed into the crease. He's physical only in that he will try to hit someone but I've never seen him throw a punishing blow.

The only thing that Gauthier has done that's impressed me with the D so far is sign Emelin. I just don't see a huge upgrade over what the Habs had last year. In fact to face possible injuries it's worse especially if either Markov or Subban are injured.

Just seems like Gauthier is more willing to give money to bottom pairing d-men and let legit top 4 d-men walk out the door. And it's a team that needs help at ES no less.

Wiz supposedly never was offered a contract by Gauthier. It's possible he would have taken less to stay in Montreal as he so expressed. We'll never know I guess.

And admittedly I do dread the thought of Gill possibly pairing with Subban on the second pairing.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:23 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Not bitter about anything. Actually I'm trying to understand Gauthier's thought process and granted I'm having a tough time.

The Halak deal I completely understood. I didn't like it but understood it 100 %. I'm not as confident in Gauthier's ability to rebuild the D. I do think Gorges is overrated. I think at best he is a good # 4 d-man in short term spurts. That's all. What annoys me the most about Gorges is his inherent ability to be pushed into the crease. He's physical only in that he will try to hit someone but I've never seen him throw a punishing blow.

The only thing that Gauthier has done that's impressed me with the D so far is sign Emelin. I just don't see a huge upgrade over what the Habs had last year. In fact to face possible injuries it's worse especially if either Markov or Subban are injured.

Just seems like Gauthier is more willing to give money to bottom pairing d-men and let legit top 4 d-men walk out the door. And it's a team that needs help at ES no less.

Wiz supposedly never was offered a contract by Gauthier. It's possible he would have taken less to stay in Montreal as he so expressed. We'll never know I guess.

And admittedly I do dread the thought of Gill possibly pairing with Subban on the second pairing.
I agree, retaining Gill and letting Hamrlik walk was a big mistake in my eyes. Hamrlik is the most underrated player on our boards. I've heard people say Gorges was better than hammer, which is laughable. At 37 Hamrlik is better than Gorges will ever be.

Gorges is a good bottom pairing dman who fill in the 4hole for short periods, nothing more, nothing less. Locking him up for 7 years would be horrific.

I like PG a lot though, so maybe he knows something about how good Yemelin will be. Seems to me he is expecting too much from a guy who's never played a game in the NHL.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree, retaining Gill and letting Hamrlik walk was a big mistake in my eyes. Hamrlik is the most underrated player on our boards. I've heard people say Gorges was better than hammer, which is laughable. At 37 Hamrlik is better than Gorges will ever be.

Gorges is a good bottom pairing dman who fill in the 4hole for short periods, nothing more, nothing less. Locking him up for 7 years would be horrific.

I like PG a lot though, so maybe he knows something about how good Yemelin will be. Seems to me he is expecting too much from a guy who's never played a game in the NHL.
As much as I like Hamrlik, Gill was the perfect tutor for PK so bringing him back for another year was a necessity. I think if they could have re-signed Hamrlik for 1 year, Spacek would have been moved. I still think they may try and add a cheap veteran for 1 year after the dust settles and the offers drop much like Halpern last summer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Sopel does not play the same game as Gorges.

Wow...

Sometimes I wonder how many people here ACTUALLY play hockey, because clearly some people here don't understand how much of a beast Gorges is defensively.
Both are mostly stay at home dmen with little offensive game. They have identical size and about the same impact when using it, smart enough not to take too many penalties. Captain Kelowna has leadership qualities, Sopel is a veteran with 300 more games played and Cup ring. Neither is a real top 4 defencemen, look for Gorges minutes drop if we have healthy Markov.

Sure I would go for younger and more handsome Gorges aswell, but if the price gets too high you have to look for alternatives...

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
DAChampion

1) Spacek is leaving next year.
2) We don't know how Emelin and Diaz will progress.

As such, I think signing Gorges to a 2-year or 3-year deal is probably best for the team.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Schwang

Anyone else think maybe Montreal has a deal in the works and they've asked Gorges to wait to see if it goes through? Then they can see what kind of deal they can offer him. I find it strange that his agent would say they would definately get a deal done before arbitration. This tells me they asked them to wait.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
Anyone else think maybe Montreal has a deal in the works and they've asked Gorges to wait to see if it goes through? Then they can see what kind of deal they can offer him. I find it strange that his agent would say they would definately get a deal done before arbitration. This tells me they asked them to wait.
I don't see it, I think they definitely want to sign him but Gorges camp sees him as a Polak type worth 3.25/year and the Habs see him as a 2.25-2.5 mil guy...I think they'll meet in the middle around 2.7-2.9 in the next few weeks

Old
07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Schwang

But why would his agent say he'll have a deal done before the hearing? Unless he thinks Josh will get more by avoiding arbitration? I still think they asked him to wait. They haven't signed White yet either. I think a deal is in the works.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:42 AM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Pay up to 3.5M for Gorges.
If he ever becomes a UFA and signs with a different team, all analysts will be saying that he is the steal of free agency.
He plays such a smart effective game that he doesn't have to be flashy. It's the same way with Price, he plays very well positionally that he doesn't have to do some dive to make a save as often as others do.

J Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
But why would his agent say he'll have a deal done before the hearing? Unless he thinks Josh will get more by avoiding arbitration? I still think they asked him to wait. They haven't signed White yet either. I think a deal is in the works.
Instead of arbitration they probably want a 3-4 year deal.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:05 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Gorges wants 4m according to the Star990. But he also tweets he'll only get about 2.5M.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Gorges wants 4m according to the Star990. But he also tweets he'll only get about 2.5M.
4 million? lolol, no way

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
That's not going to happen. He'll be lucky enough to see $3 million.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Sounds like BS...

Old
07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Protest the Hero

The reason we love Gorges so much is because he's underrated by everyone, at $4m he no longer is.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Bieber fever

Gorges in Montreal is history

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Habs Junkie

4 million???
Bring Sopel back...I always thought he was better anyways!

Gorges= Komisarek v2.0

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

If Gorges wants 4M...goodnight sweet prince.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
TheBuriedHab

Come on Josh. 4mill? Really?

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

2 years @ 2 mil each is perfect!!!

1 year @ 2.5 is perfecter!!!

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
OpenIceHit

Because he knows that without him, it will look like this :

Markov-Yemelin
Subban-Gill
Spacek-Weber
Diaz

Scary!

He can go to hell if he really wants 4M. Imo, he deserves Gill's $, no more.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote