HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stamkos Agrees To Five-year, $37.5m Contract With Lightning

Old
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
PhillyCurt12

vCash: 500
yeah, i wouldn't mind taking a crack at suter next year w/ carle off the books and either edler or vlasic when kimmo is off. i would be surprised if more than 1 of those 3 hits FA though.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
eaglesfan

Quote:
Stamkos reportedly rejected the Lightning's latest contract offer, believed to be worth $37 million over five years for a salary cap hit of $7.4 million. If Stamkos and the Lightning cannot come to terms on a contract, the Flyers reportedly are willing to package Brayden Schenn, Sergei Bobrovsky, a first-round pick and a veteran player such as Scott Hartnell or Matt Carle in a deal for Stamkos.

LINK

From Gormley

Last edited by eaglesfan: 07-06-2011 at 10:14 AM.
eaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:52 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

How is Stamkos defensively?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
From Gormley
I'd hate for Carle to have to go back to Tampa, but at least it's different ownership. Anywhoo, this would be a great deal for Philly.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Snipsnap12

If we go with that package I would rather trade carle than hartnell. We need him as a big body up front and to keep the depth at forward thatg we have. Carle is a UFA next year so if we dont plan on resigning him we would have to trade him at the deadline anyway. I think gus could come in and fill his spot with pronger, and we would have a wicked offense to go along with an elite goalie.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:59 AM
IrishSniper87

A Schenn, Carle, Bob, 1st trade would clear enough cap to sign Stamkos longterm at $8.2 or so and still have enough room to re-sign Simmonds.

I'm hoping we can get this done. Bonus is we keep Couturier in the system.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
If we go with that package I would rather trade carle than hartnell. We need him as a big body up front and to keep the depth at forward thatg we have. Carle is a UFA next year so if we dont plan on resigning him we would have to trade him at the deadline anyway. I think gus could come in and fill his spot with pronger, and we would have a wicked offense to go along with an elite goalie.
That, plus Hartnell's NTC would presumably be a problem, no? I mean, Tampa will still be a strong team, but is there any reason to believe he would welcome that particular move?

It would also leave Briere with two new linemates instead of just Voracek / Jagr--though I suppose with Stamkos, and without Schenn, all the projections go out the window anyway.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Can't. We need to shed Schenns salary to get under the cap limit. He is another cap casualty in aquiring Stamkos.

In truth, the REAL moves would look like this:

Out - Richards, Carter, Versteeg, Leino, Powe, Meszaros, O'Donnell, Bobrovski & Boucher

In - Stamkos, ????, Voracek, Simmons, Talbot, Gustafsson, Lilja, Bryz & ????

Stamkos > Carter
???? < Richards
Voracek < Versteeg
Simmons ??? Leino (very differnt players)
Talbot < Powe
Gustafsson < Meszaros
Lilja < O'Donnell
Bryz > Bob
??? = Boucher

We got better in goal and in a scoring center, worse in everything else. Not quite as picturess as you might think, at least not just for next season. Beyond next season the ??? (we'll call it Couturier for now) may be better than Richards but it's unlikely. Voracek MAY turn out to be better than Versteeg (and he SHOULD) but right now that's not the case. Simmons HOPEFULLY can become a replacement for Hartnell (again a different player than Leino so no real comparison here). Talbot won't EVER be as good as Powe any more in his career (injuries have robbed him and causing a decline in his playing ability already at his age). We can only HOPE to God that Gustafsson becomes as good as Meszaros and I'm not even the biggest Mesz fan out there. Bob could easily become a true #1 goalie and top 10 goalie in the league for the next 15+ years, something we will be lacking in about 5 years once Bryz is old and out the door for the KHL.

This can EASILY become an offseason that in hindsight we are a laughing stock of the league. Maybe it pans out, maybe it blows up in our face.

It would be easier if we didn't have Talbot signed. I had something like this:

Hartnell-Stamkos-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
Nodl-Betts-Rinaldo
Sestito

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Bartulis-Lila/Gustafsson (fight it out for #6, other is #7)

Bryz
Cheap Backup (@$800K)

That lineup would be approximately $300K under the cap, if my estimates for RFA signings are right.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
mercury

Quote:
From Gormley
Jeez, that is a lot, but I might have to do it. Obviously, I'd prefer to send Carle than Hartnell.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
JABEE

Quote:
From Gormley
That link is broken.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
From Gormley
What does Tampa do with Bob though? They just (re)signed Rolo and and a backup in Garon. Maybe Garon (1.3 AAV, IIRC) comes back as the cheap-ish backup?

Old
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
eaglesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
That link is broken.
Fixed

Saw this....
Quote:
Something BIG Brewing?

Matthew Barry
HockeyBuzz

I was also told the Kings could have something GIGANTIC brewing that could involve Stamkos. In exchange for the newly acquired Mike Richards and either Jack Johnson (more on this later) or Jon Bernier would be in a package going the other way.

My thoughts? You do this deal 100 times out of 100 times. Steve Yerman's hands are tied with the Lecavalier contract. He can't pay 2 players half the teams salary. It's not his or the former Red Wings style, not in the salary cap era. If Yzerman can get TRUE VALUE for Stamkos, he ships him out west. (Please don't let it be the Ducks. I will cry).

Here's why the Kings need this deal.

With Phil Jackson retired and Kobe on his last legs, the Lakers are just a few seasons away from fading into rebuild/oblivion mode. The Clippers suck and with Downtown BOOMING with a new HOOTERS being built among other franchises, there has to be REASON to come downtown. The pressure is on the KINGS to take over from the fading Lakers.

Anze Kopitar is not the face of the franchise. Dustin Brown is far from being an NHL marketable player. Why do you think the Kings went so hard after Kovalchuk or Richards? They NEED a Marquee name. Yes, you could argue that Drew Doughty could be that marquee player but there have only been a handful of truly gifted D-men that you could hang a franchise on. Did anyone really care about Rob Blake?

No, the Kings desperately need Stamkos. He's young, only going to get better, and could compete in NHL marketability terms with Ovechkin and Crosby. That ain't gonna happen in Tampa Bay, folks.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...wing/125/36924

eaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
From Gormley
I don't really care about Stamkos anymore.

It'd be cool, but I like what we have in Giroux + JVR + Voracek + Schenn + Couturier.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
phillyfanatic

To Philly: Stamkos at what 10-12 years 70-84 million? 7 million per?
To Tampa: Hartnell (4.2 million 2 years), Schenn (top prospect) + Bob (future star goalie) + a first next year

OK, I'll think about that. So, Giroux goes back to the wing?
JVR-Stamkos-Giroux (Sick line going forward)
Voracek - Briere- Jagr
Nodl - Talbot - Simmonds

(Simmonds/Giroux/Voracek/Jagr/Nodl are all right wingers???). Not sure if any are versatile enough to go left. Anyway, I definitely do this deal. Stamkos is our Crosby, can you imagine going Stamkos v Crosby 6 times per year for the next 10 years + Playoffs? Sick.

D:
Pronger-Meszaros (Love it)
Timonen-Coburn (Love it)
Bartulis/Lilja - Gustaffson (Not good)

Our D needs some help via UFA if we lose Carle and there ain't much out there. We might use the kids to get us to the trade deadline and see how we are. I like giving Bart the job to run with. Play Gus with Pronger and Bart with Meszaros?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
What does Tampa do with Bob though? They just (re)signed Rolo and and a backup in Garon. Maybe Garon (1.3 AAV, IIRC) comes back as the cheap-ish backup?
Roloson signed a one year deal right? In no way is he a long term solution given his age. Tampa could be a good landing spot for Bob. He backs up Roloson for a year and takes the starting gig in '12.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
yeah, i wouldn't mind taking a crack at suter next year w/ carle off the books and either edler or vlasic when kimmo is off. i would be surprised if more than 1 of those 3 hits FA though.
Maybe we can trade for them this offseason/season if we can't get Stamkos. All 3 are great players

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
i'd rather see emery, conklin, or even turco as the backup, all of whom would likely be less than 1.3 AAV, assuming the unlikely event that a stamkos trade goes down.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
i'd rather see emery, conklin, or even turco as the backup, all of whom would likely be less than 1.3 AAV, assuming the unlikely event that a stamkos trade goes down.
I don't disagree--but what does Tampa do with 3 non-waiver exempt goalies?

Old
07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
That guy's an idiot. One team that doesn't need Stamkos is LA with all their forward depth

Old
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If the Kings offer that package there is no way that Yzerman even thinks about trading him to us. For one, they're in the West. Two, they actually get a first line center back (not just a first line center prospect), plus Bernier who is just as good as Bobrovsky. I guess it kind of hinges on how much they value Hartnell or Carle and a first....probably not that much.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
That guy's an idiot. One team that doesn't need Stamkos is LA with all their forward depth
LA pushed hard for Richards on July 1st. They're probably at least looking at a deal and weighing their options.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
I don't disagree--but what does Tampa do with 3 non-waiver exempt goalies?
true... i guess they're not really in the financial situation to be burying contracts in the minors (i doubt he'd be picked up on waivers)

Old
07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
phillyfanatic

If we get Stamkos, we need to leave enough room to lock up Coburn/JVR/Simmonds/Voracek next year. The cap is not going up again.

Looks like it would be OK.
Jagr money is used for JVR raise. Coburn gets a slight bump. Voracek/Simmonds are still likely 2-3 million. No problem.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
true... i guess they're not really in the financial situation to be burying contracts in the minors (i doubt he'd be picked up on waivers)
Maybe what could happen is they put him on waivers then so we put in a claim to get him at half price to finish the deal

Old
07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
If we get Stamkos, we need to leave enough room to lock up Coburn/JVR/Simmonds/Voracek next year. The cap is not going up again.

Looks like it would be OK.
Jagr money is used for JVR raise. Coburn gets a slight bump. Voracek/Simmonds are still likely 2-3 million. No problem.
I bet you $999,000,000,000,000.00 it goes up again.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote