HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Curve Pros/Cons Compilation

Old
07-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
In doing research for a new curve, I notice there are several threads on curves here and there, and the basics are usually covered upon request. However, I figured it would be nice for users to be able to search for a curve and get a one-stop-shop on the experiences of other user with said curve.

There are pros and cons to every curve and those change more based on the style and game-play of the user. The idea is just to post the curves you've used, a short pro/con and why the curve you use now is your go to.

Curves used:
Bauer PM9; mid-heel, closed. (Zetterberg, Savard, etc.): Consistent on forehand and backhand, easy to keep shots low. Lie was too low. No other cons really stood out.

Bauer P88; Mid, closed. (Heatley, not sure what else): More zip on the wristshots. Slapshot stayed low from far out. Backhand play also easier. Lie was also too low. Harder to get quick shots up.

Easton Sakic; Mid to mid-toe, open. (Backstrom, Draper, etc.): Quick shots top corner. Slapshots had more precision when looking top corner. Easier to attempt toe drags and such. Harder to keep low slap shots accurate. Backhand almost non-existent. Saucer passes fluttered.

Bauer P91a; heel, open wedge (Kovalev, Drury, etc): More ability to control slapshot height, quick shots easy to get up high. Similar backhand consistency to the PM9. Harder to keep wristshots low, harder to pick high corners with slapshots.

Warrior Lidstrom; heel, open with square toe (Getzlaf, not sure what else): Seems to be a hybrid between the Sakic and Drury clones. Forgiving on slapshots. Backhand plays closer to a flatter blade. Easy to get shots up high top corner. Great on saucer passing. Personally, I just like the look of the toe, but it helps in board play. Harder to keep shots lower than a more closed blade, but easier than the open wedge types. Dangles will also be more difficult with the square toe because you cannot rotate the toe.

My favorite curve so far has been the Lidstrom. It gives me the best of every world between my favorite curves of the P92 (sakic) and the P91a (Drury). I do a lot of stickhandling/shooting using the heel which gives me quicker shots with more accuracy. This curve plays more like a mid-heel with more depth the Drury but less curve than the Sakic with a more open toe. I also like to take slapshots when I can either on D or off the rush so it helps with that as well.

What are yours?
The Lidstrom has been my curve since the mid '90s. I play with an aluminum stick, and when I broke my last blade I decided to try a composite (Getzlaf curve) but it broke on way too early. With that, I chose not to purchase another, and went back to the aluminum. I couldn't find a Lidstrom blade so I got a Bauer P92(?) and I like it quite a bit. It feels just about the same but has a round toe, and I think it's got a little less toe flare. My puck control hasn't differed, which is good. Picking corners with ease, rising slappers (though I almost never take them during games), and blazing wristers that I can place where I want.

Aside from those, I can't remember any other blades I've used as it would've been at least 15 years ago

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Only thing about the Drury that I don't like is when I accidentally get a pass up in the air when it should stay flat.
That's why I switched to Sakic, similar curve but starts towards the middle instead of heel so my passes and shots stayed down a little more, at the expense of some power.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's why I switched to Sakic, similar curve but starts towards the middle instead of heel so my passes and shots stayed down a little more, at the expense of some power.
If you have a 2-piece setup you should give the P106 a try too, IMO it's basically a half way point between a Drury and a P88. Length of a P88 (shorter than a Drury), similar to a heel wedge but with a little bit of curve throughout the mid/toe instead of going totally flat like a Drury, a bit deeper curve than a Drury because of this. It's pretty open but not insanely open, for me the openness is just right. I picked one up recently, so far my snap and slap shots are basically identical to with a Drury, these are definitely the two curves I have the most power and accuracy with, but I'm liking it more because I find the slightly shorter, slightly more curved blade a lot easier when it comes to stick handling. The bit of mid curve is also nice for those times when you're in close/under pressure and have to take those semi-improvised wrist shots rather than properly set up snap shots. Personally I haven't had problems controlling shot height with the curve, or keeping passes flat, everything feels very easy/effortless so far, though I've only had 2 skates with it (1 stick and puck, 1 game). The only think I don't like about the curve is the rocker, it's got a very large rocker and I prefer a more moderate rocker, if this thing had the lie and rocker of a Drury I'd be absolutely in love, but for the most part I've hardly noticed it so far. For reference in terms of lie/rocker, I find the Drury, Sakic and P88 to all be withing ranges that work for me, but my ST with an Iginla curve is problematic (despite the 5.5 lie listing it seems like a higher lie to me, and with it's minimal rocker I often have the pressure on the heel, not mid blade, I feel my shot power suffers, and I have trouble catching hard passes).

Based on how you've described the curves you like I think it could be a hit for you, probably worth giving a shot with a cheap wood blade at least, unless you really hate big rockers, but the Sakic has a big rocker too (this one is different though).

Last edited by ponder: 07-05-2011 at 07:47 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
JustinYS

Has anyone tried the P92 curve? How would that compare with the P88?

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought about the P106, especially since it's a little lower lie, but my shooting style is just perfect with a wedge type, and the gradual curve would throw things off. I just lose a ton of power with those curves.

The P92 is quite a bit different than the P88; it's an open curve that almost kinks in the middle compared to a gradual curve that opens up slightly. P88 generally works better for guys who like a predictable curve for general use and for wristers...P92 seems better for guys who use a lot of snappers and can control the wedge.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
ponder

Quote:
I thought about the P106, especially since it's a little lower lie, but my shooting style is just perfect with a wedge type, and the gradual curve would throw things off. I just lose a ton of power with those curves.

The P92 is quite a bit different than the P88; it's an open curve that almost kinks in the middle compared to a gradual curve that opens up slightly. P88 generally works better for guys who like a predictable curve for general use and for wristers...P92 seems better for guys who use a lot of snappers and can control the wedge.
The P106 is definitely a wedge, twisting open right from the heel. Definitely way more open than the P88. It a heel wedge, but with just a touch of gradual/mid curve as well. Take a Drury, add on a touch of mid curve (definitely a slight amount), and make the blade a bit shorter, and you have yourself a P106 (other than the different rocker). For snappers (from the mid/heel) and slappers I find it to shoot basically identically to a Drury, but I like it more for stick handling and the odd time I take more traditional wristers (which is normally just when trying to get the puck up real fast in close).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:04 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
I don't mind a Sakic that's a little bit less open. I dono why, but the toe always kills me with it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think I'm going to give the Gionta a shot. I just got an AK27 shaft a couple weeks ago and a cheap Bandito blade which is a little heavy in it. The Gionta looks close to the Sakic but with the profile of a Modano and a little more toe curve.