Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 08:30 AM
bigfrank21
Chara spoons it!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
MacDonald is currently a UFA, needs a new contract; also, Smotherman and Roussel need to re-up their AHL contracts.

Cunningham is not under contract, either, though you can expect that to change after development camp.
I was wondering about Kirk's status...

By all accounts he had a good season - in the games I saw he got important ice time, I thought he filled the gap left by Whitfield early-on last year in terms of always having the motor running, and he's a good character kid, etc. The B's gave him an NHL contract before the playoffs so he could be included w/ the black aces.

I'm just curious as to what the potential issues may be regarding why he isn't wrapped up already...

Granted - maybe they're holding those spots for actual prospects and need to see how the camps shake out.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:30 AM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Savard View Post
I'd still like to see some additional players. Maybe some toughguy to protect the young guns. I know Randell is one tough customer but he's a rookie himself..
McDermid would fit the bill, 158 pims last year.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Besides Khudobin I am up in the air with our other goaltending. Perhaps Gothberg or Hutchinson surprise me but can one of them make the jump to the AHL and be a suitable backup? Should they look at other options?

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
What are the chances Whitfield sticks in Boston as the 13th forward?
Hopefully none.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by twominute View Post
Hopefully none.
I agree, however Claude loves his vets, loved Whitfield in the past and if they do not sign anyone else, I think it ends up being him because I think they don't want Arniel or Caron sitting in the press box.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:04 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Besides Khudobin I am up in the air with our other goaltending. Perhaps Gothberg or Hutchinson surprise me but can one of them make the jump to the AHL and be a suitable backup? Should they look at other options?
I don't believe Gothberg is even an option in PRO? He was slated to either attend UND or return to play for Fargo in the USHL, depending on the goalie situation there. According to this website:

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2011/05/b...o-und-for.html

Both UND goalies, Eidsness (Snr) and O'Dell (Jr) will be returning for the 2011-12 season, which means that Gotrhberg will probably be the starter for Fargo?

Old
07-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Gothberg's too young. He'll be a freshman this year, at North Dakota, I think it was?

Hutchinson will probably be in Providence.

Addendum: GD beat me to it.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

MacDonald's problem is that as much as I like him he'll never be good enough to make the NHL, therefore he'll likely be one of the last signed if they think they can grab someone better.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I'm not a Whitfield hater, never understood why people have to give the guy a hard time. But I do want him to stay in providence, he lit the league up in his last stretch coming back and he's a great mentor for the young guys down there, that's why I want him there. A mini-Recchi

Old
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Gothberg most likely won't turn pro for another 4-5 years. I think Hutchinson could be a good back-up this year but might be better off starting in the ECHL.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Gothberg most likely won't turn pro for another 4-5 years. I think Hutchinson could be a good back-up this year but might be better off starting in the ECHL.
Saw Hutch play late in the season against SPR and he was lights out. I hear he is very inconsistent from the people that follow the team regularly, but few young goalies aren't. I think backing up Khudo would be the perfect spot for Hutchinson and would allow him to develop with little pressure.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
I agree, however Claude loves his vets, loved Whitfield in the past and if they do not sign anyone else, I think it ends up being him because I think they don't want Arniel or Caron sitting in the press box.
I would be very surprised if he ends up in Boston. Caron wouldn't have to sit he could go back to Providence without having to go thru waivers

Old
07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Saw Hutch play late in the season against SPR and he was lights out. I hear he is very inconsistent from the people that follow the team regularly, but few young goalies aren't. I think backing up Khudo would be the perfect spot for Hutchinson and would allow him to develop with little pressure.
It's hard to say what's the better spot for him. I think he's good enough to play as the back-up in Providence but he would see a lot more action as the starter in the ECHL. BTW, does anyone know if Boston is going to be sharing Reading as an ECHL affiliate with Toronto again this year?

Old
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Extreme hypothetical situation:

Say Providence advances deep into the playoffs, and Boston is knocked out in the first round or doesnt make the playoffs, would Seguin be eligible to join the P-Bruins on their run? Would his eligibility depend on whether or not Plymouth was still alive in the OHL playoffs?

Old
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Extreme hypothetical situation:

Say Providence advances deep into the playoffs, and Boston is knocked out in the first round or doesnt make the playoffs, would Seguin be eligible to join the P-Bruins on their run? Would his eligibility depend on whether or not Plymouth was still alive in the OHL playoffs?
I believe there is a point where players have to be technically in the minors rather than the AHL for them to be eligible for the AHL postseason. Called a clear day list. Last year the date was March 8th. So no I don't think Seguin could play postseason

http://theahl.com/2011-clear-day-lis...ounced-p169897

Quote:
The American Hockey League has released the Clear Day Period lists for each of its 30 member clubs.

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2010-11 AHL regular season and in the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective Junior seasons are complete.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Milan Lucic and Phil Kessel have been placed on clear day rosters before, without having played in the minors during that season at all......not that they ended up being sent down, but the option was there.

Seeing as Seguin would be 20 by then I don't think anything would stop him from being sent down technically.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Milan Lucic and Phil Kessel have been placed on clear day rosters before, without having played in the minors during that season at all......not that they ended up being sent down, but the option was there.

Seeing as Seguin would be 20 by then I don't think anything would stop him from being sent down technically.
no idea what age those other guys were. I do know that Seguin is ineligible to play in the AHL this year, and that remains the case after January when he turns 20. So I can't imagine he can have a paper demotion to the AHL for a day so he can be on the AHL roster.

But maybe the rule is he can't play there, but that doesn't prohibit a paper transaction, I doubt it

Kessel wasn't covered by those rules at all anyway as he was a college player. So the whole had to be 20 to play in the AHL was completely not an issue

Old
07-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Fenian24

I haven't seen this anywhere in the threads but Boston signed Jamie Tardif to a contract, may have a shot as a 13th forward but most likely signed for Providence.

Nice additional for P bruins, tough, good leader and pretty good scorer in minors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3482

Old
07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
BruinsHockey

Just a couple notes:

Reich signed in Germany

Valabik signed with W/B-Scranton

Old
07-09-2011, 06:07 PM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Hutch has looked very solid in Dev-Camp. I think he's a safe bet to backup in Providence...

Old
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
PBruinsfan10

I'm hearing that Antoine Roussel (LW) won't be offered a contract for next season with the P-Bruins.

Not really that surprising, considering the loads-more-talented guys coming up through the system. Roussel had 1 goal in 42 games for Providence last season and primarily saw fourth-line minutes.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
Hutch has looked very solid in Dev-Camp. I think he's a safe bet to backup in Providence...
How right you are. Gotta tweak a few things but he looked very good in camp. Eye opening for sure, at least for me. Put to rest to my uncertainty. Let's see how he is in September.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
PBruinsfan10

Quote:
How right you are. Gotta tweak a few things but he looked very good in camp. Eye opening for sure, at least for me. Put to rest to my uncertainty. Let's see how he is in September.
ha, what were you uncertain about? he was lights out for stretches of time last year in the A. needs to work on his consistency but as we saw this week, it looks like he's got a lot of the kinks out of his game. We'll see how he looks at main camp but when your alternatives are Dalton the sieve and Courchaine the career ECHLer...there should be zero uncertainty here.

It'll be good to see him battle Khudobin for playing time. the two of them are very competitive - and interestingly enough, Khudobin's style is very Tim Thomas esque; he doesn't rely on positional saves and energy efficiency, where Hutch is a lot more like Rask, positionally sound to conserve energy.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
ha, what were you uncertain about? he was lights out for stretches of time last year in the A. needs to work on his consistency but as we saw this week, it looks like he's got a lot of the kinks out of his game. We'll see how he looks at main camp but when your alternatives are Dalton the sieve and Courchaine the career ECHLer...there should be zero uncertainty here.

It'll be good to see him battle Khudobin for playing time. the two of them are very competitive - and interestingly enough, Khudobin's style is very Tim Thomas esque; he doesn't rely on positional saves and energy efficiency, where Hutch is a lot more like Rask, positionally sound to conserve energy.
My uncertainty laid with me not knowing much about Hutch but with his performance, I have no doubts about him and believe that we have a much improved goaltending tandem and they can really feed off each other.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
I'm hearing that Antoine Roussel (LW) won't be offered a contract for next season with the P-Bruins.

Not really that surprising, considering the loads-more-talented guys coming up through the system. Roussel had 1 goal in 42 games for Providence last season and primarily saw fourth-line minutes.
Problem is the loads more talented guys won't get here till next year, by my count there's still many spots open on this team

Closed Thread