HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden will report to camp

Old
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

vCash: 500
I hope he plays and collects the next three years. He would be a total schmuck not to.

Lol at the people here saying he should walk away. Yeah ok, the self righteousness here is just laughable.

He wasn't the idiot that gave the contract. He signed the contract from said idiot. I don't think he should give one red cent back because the person paying him is mentally retarded.

This signing is about the most embarrassing bad signing ever but again, it wasn't/isn't Reddens fault.

Lol Redden can serve as a giant warning sign to Sather about spending money just because he can.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
He's no longer an NHL player (at his salary at least)... we all get that.

But he's done nothing wrong... he shows up, works hard, and is getting paid what is due to him. There have been no indications that he's been anything but a good teammate in Hartford.

There is no reason to beat on the guy for doing the job he's doing. Its not at the level that he was once able to produce, but that's life.
A little more than that. Reports are he has been a great mentor to the kids that everyone is raving about.
Redden has handled himself well since the demotion, no need to hate on the guy because of the money.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
What's the problem with him reporting to camp? It's not like there's any chance whatsoever he's making the team. It's pretty much a good thing, since it makes possible rookie defensemen try harder to make the team because they might think Redden actually has a chance.

07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
No surprise there.

Guy's happy riding buses and collecting his millions.

His career is over.
His career was over long before he came to New York. In Ottawa, he was playing with Chara who covered up his defensive shortcomings for the lost part until he was "thrown around like a rag doll" in the stanley cup final against the Ducks. Our GM either didn't watch that series or was too dumb to realize how much Redden's game had deteriorated.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
We all know he's headed down to HFD, but let's give the guy credit for being a good teammate and person while he's down there, he has done a lot of good for the kids and guys down there. He's getting paid millions but he has gone out of his way to get guys iPads and bought the guys nicer meals while he's there.

He's a pacer on the ice, at the ahl level even, lots of players get bad contracts and arent quality citizens away from the rink, there aren't that many in hockey, but lets keep perspective on the matter, there's no point in getting the blood pressure up when it was known that this may happen.
Let's face it, Wade Redden is a stand up guy who got caught in a numbers game bc our crackerjack GM was dumb enough to sign him. If I were Wade, I'd extract every last nickel of Dolan's money and laugh all the way to the bank!

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
I hope he plays and collects the next three years. He would be a total schmuck not to.

Lol at the people here saying he should walk away. Yeah ok, the self righteousness here is just laughable.

He wasn't the idiot that gave the contract. He signed the contract from said idiot. I don't think he should give one red cent back because the person paying him is mentally retarded.

This signing is about the most embarrassing bad signing ever but again, it wasn't/isn't Reddens fault.

Lol Redden can serve as a giant warning sign to Sather about spending money just because he can.
Some of you guys act as if the players don't negotiate for more money when discussing a contract.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
WHY,lol
Because he's going to mentor!!!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Let's face it, Wade Redden is a stand up guy who got caught in a numbers game bc our crackerjack GM was dumb enough to sign him. If I were Wade, I'd extract every last nickel of Dolan's money and laugh all the way to the bank!
lol...give the player the pass and not the GM that gave him a chance to play here. Im very curious, I can understand Yankee fans giving Mattingly a pass in his later years. Giant fans giving LT a pass when he was at the end of his career. Why does Redden get the pass here?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

why wouldn't he? he has 6mill reasons not to.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
bmw2004

I would do exactly the same thing. Money talk!!! and Bul**** walk!!! That's the world we live in.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:44 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Why does Redden get the pass here?
I'm assuming because, at the end of the day, Redden signed a contract to play hockey and that's what he's doing. Sure the GM (and we can assume redden) hoped that it would be to a higher standard, but if redden is playing to the best of his ability (which has deteriorated horribly), then he's done nothing wrong. Yes, he and his agent would have pushed Sather for as much $$ as possible, but at the end of the day nobody but Sather made him offer that ludicrous contract.

For the record, I'm of the multitude who hated the redden signing and wish that it had never happened and feel that this team certainly doesn't need him.

Having said that, I still feel that redden last year was NHL caliber defenceman (bottom pairing) and that if his salary had of been sub $2.5m he would have dressed for the Rangers last year as he was better than Eminger, Gilroy and MDZ coming out of camp.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Some of you guys act as if the players don't negotiate for more money when discussing a contract.
I didn't realize that the players force the GM to give them that extra money.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You don't think a scrub 3rd pairing swedish guy would stay in Hartford for 6 million dollars?
For the record, I was being sarcastic (I am on my iPhone and couldn't add the guy with the finger... )

...but for all the talk we hear about Russians and co., we sure end up with a lot of headcases from other places.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
rangers fans act like this guy doesn't know how to play hockey at all. for a 3rd line defenseman he would be a great fit, the problem was sather offered a guy who could be a minor contributor to a team the money you would give your superstars. people forget that even though he had absolutely no offense left in his game by his last year he was still a +8 for the season. in hartford he put up 42 points and was a -1 last season. if that was a young guy we would all be screaming at sather to bring him up.

point is, redden is not a great player, probably not even a good player. he's average, a good 3rd line guy. his 6.5 cap hit makes him impossible to keep on the team. we all hated him so much because he was being paid so much money to do absolutely nothing.

also, was ANY team willing to pay redden anything close to 6.5 when he was on the market? i don't remember anyone thinking he was worth much at all. blame sather, not redden
If I remember correctly, we were in a bidding war with Dallas & Columbus. Sather out-bid them with the term by going one extra year then what Columbus was offering. Since we snagged the coveted Redden out from under their nose...the Blue Jackets were still in the market for d-men. We needed to clear one from our books to make room for the incoming Redden, whom Perry Pearn apparently lobbied & vouched for since our power-play was utterly disgraceful the season prior. We then traded Fedor Tyutin to Columbus for Nikolay Zherdev. Redden was being billed as our saviour to fix the PP. Every single hockey fan already knew Redden was in full decline. How did Perry Pearn & Renney not see this beforehand?

Last edited by Blazephr: 07-06-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:50 AM
MadHookUp

I have mixed feelings about the whole Redden thing. Assuming everything is true about him helping out the younger guys in Hartford, its not all that bad that he stays with the organization. At the same time you really cant expect McDounagh to say, "The guy is a bum and just riding out this contract." So how true that is might be hard to judge from small quotes. Before Redden's demotion, Torts made it sound like he was a cancer to the team. Not so much contractwise, but as a player on and off the ice.

I dont blame Redden for trying to make his money. But realistically the guy has made more money then he should know what to do with. And I dont think his game deteriorated to the point where he couldnt find a job paying him 2-3m on another team. I might be wrong about that, but if Redden would rather ride AHL buses, than take a 50% pay cut to play in the NHL and finish his career, I think that says something.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:28 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
What's the problem with him reporting to camp? It's not like there's any chance whatsoever he's making the team. It's pretty much a good thing, since it makes possible rookie defensemen try harder to make the team because they might think Redden actually has a chance.
Maybe the Preds would trade him for Shea Weber

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
bubba5

I wish I were in Reddens shoes! I mean skates.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Ola

I truely think Redden is DISGRACE.

He could easily serve as solid and serviceable vet D in this league, who with no expectations even could be appriciated. In a 5-6d role.

And those Ds are paid well. Easily 2m per. Expectations on him in NY was crazy, and it naturally ruined his confidence. A fresh start and he could round out his career.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I truely think Redden is DISGRACE.

He could easily serve as solid and serviceable vet D in this league, who with no expectations even could be appriciated. In a 5-6d role.

And those Ds are paid well. Easily 2m per. Expectations on him in NY was crazy, and it naturally ruined his confidence. A fresh start and he could round out his career.
Would you personally give upwards of 15 million dollars? Even if you already made a good amount?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Edit: Even 10 million (This is a rough difference between his current contract and if he terminated and signed a NHL one for 2 mil per year).

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Would you personally give upwards of 15 million dollars? Even if you already made a good amount?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Edit: Even 10 million (This is a rough difference between his current contract and if he terminated and signed a NHL one for 2 mil per year).
especially having a new daughter.

I would buy a nice place outside of Hartford, and feel like I won the lottery. 6 million to play in the minor leagues for 3 more years? sure, why not.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
MadHookUp

Redden has made 50m playing professional hockey thus far in his career.

Assuming that Redden can get a 2m contract over the next 3 years and play in the NHL. Redden would rather have...

66.5m and play in the AHL for the next 3 seasons

than....

56m and play in the NHL.

Of course 10m is a large sum of money. But there is no doubt many players would give it up in exchange of finishing their career in the NHL. I am not sure what a person with 66.5m can do that a person with 56m cant, but I personally would rather play in the NHL.

You can make an argument that its greed, common sense, supporting your family. Whatever. I personally lean towards greed.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Good move for Wade and the Rangers...

at least there's a chance of Sather trading him to Florida if he's manning up and doing what he has to do... I give the guy credit. Its a humble day he walks into that training camp....
There's zero chance that Florida or any other team that gets thrown into this group of salary floor teams that people think will magically take Chris Drury or Wade Redden's contract on to have those guys play 10 minutes or less a game will take on Redden.

Florida made it pretty clear this off-season they'd rather reach the cap floor through free agency, and I don't think it's that hard or a bad idea.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Redden has made 50m playing professional hockey thus far in his career.

Assuming that Redden can get a 2m contract over the next 3 years and play in the NHL. Redden would rather have...

66.5m and play in the AHL for the next 3 seasons

than....

56m and play in the NHL.

Of course 10m is a large sum of money. But there is no doubt many players would give it up in exchange of finishing their career in the NHL. I am not sure what a person with 66.5m can do that a person with 56m cant, but I personally would rather play in the NHL.

You can make an argument that its greed, common sense, supporting your family. Whatever. I personally lean towards greed.
it could be that there aren't other options out there. You are assuming that there's an NHL team that would give him a contract.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:08 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I didn't realize that the players force the GM to give them that extra money.
edit: nvm, misunderstood the context.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
it could be that there aren't other options out there. You are assuming that there's an NHL team that would give him a contract.
Correct, that is why I use the word, "assuming"