HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
reading the rule, it's percent of days on the roster previous season, so I need to adjust 185 to 186 and it's salary for the upcoming season, so I will make those adjustments, but it doesn't change the overall numbers by much...

None of these changes actually changes much, use $300,000 as an approximation for the 6 and should work.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-06-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I've always wondered if Alzner would try to stick it to the caps based on how his "development" was handled his first two seasons as a pro.
Yeah and I heard he wasn't particularly happy about his table assignment at the team Xmas party last year also so I bet he has a serious axe to grind with this organization...

Don't look now but I think there is a guy with a gun over on that grassy knoll...

Old
07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
DinoNeils

Value of Eric Fehr

What would Winnipeg have to give to get Eric Fehr??

Old
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Chris Thorburn and a 3rd

In other news, I have no idea.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Ok, this is only related to the off-season numbers, but here are my calculations for the off-season:

$65,871,795 roster and other one way players including Brouwer
$233,333 Sloan buyout
$324,649 Perreault QO pro-rated
$291,704 Pro rated 6 others (Holtby, Aucoin, Potulny, Sabourin, PMcNeil, Collins)
$826,875 Alzner QO

$67,548,356 sub-total

$70,730,000 off-season max

$3,181,644 Difference; note inlcudes Alzner QO so it's this estimate plus his QO estimate to determine off-season room remaining.

* Pro-rated on a 185 day season for 2011-12, using capgeek days on roster for last season and 2011-12 cap hit for the pro-rated players; if I'm off by a day then it doesn't change by much, but that's my count for the days in this coming season.

** I need to re-read and confirm it's 2011-12 cap hit (not salary and/or 2010-11 info.) used for pro-rating, but it won't change by much regardless. Don't see any players missing for the pro-rated information, but it there was another player on an NHL roster last season and under contract with the Caps for 2011-12 please let me know.
My head hurts just trying to decipher this crap.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've always wondered if Alzner would try to stick it to the caps based on how his "development" was handled his first two seasons as a pro.

Really though my gut feeling is that they're working on a long term extension...because the other option is to put together a cheap extension taking him to arbitration eligibility. And that shouldn't be difficult.
If he leaves you and I will be the only ones that saw it coming, or believe it had a bearing. Most will argue all the time in Hershey was best for him. Bah.

I have long thought he hated being in Hershey, watching SMo get all of his NHL development reps, and missing out on critical playoff reps. I hated it. We were rebuilding, and shunned our hopeful 1LD Alzner getting into games for who is now looking to be an 7 8 in Boof. Mo, benched in the last playoffs. It was a mistake. Alzner had one playoff game under his belt just 3 months ago.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
My head hurts just trying to decipher this crap.
and here, I thought I simplified it by grouping and not listing everyone Someone asked me to post the details, so I did.

In simple terms, they have approximately 4M in cap space to work with to sign Alzner, even before they make a move.

(is that better)

Old
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

i think 2nd + but thats just a random guess

Old
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Aportzline: RT @cbjfan161: @Aportzline Hannan a possibility? / Yes, very much a possibility. Might even put him at the top of the "possibility" list.
Aportzline: #CBJ still focused on signing a free agent defenseman rather than trading for one. #CBJ looking for 1- or 2-year deals, vets want long-term.
Aportzline: RT @jimmys72004: @Aportzline The Caps are over cap. Will Jeff Schultz interest #CBJ? / He's a name to keep in mind if they turn to trades.

Puts the Hamrlik signing in further context when it comes to the importance of term.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I am calling it. If he gets moved, its for future considerations.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
(is that better)
Yes! Geez!

Old
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If they sign him to 3m it better take him to 1 yr of RFA remaining or get one year of ufa. That's what, 3 or 5 yr deal?

No one is going to offer sheet him in any area where we wouldn't match. The kid has no arb rights. At end of the day he is in a pickle. He's going to have to give the caps some security in order for him to make decent coin next year.

It's part of the same pressure that got nick's deal so favorable.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If he leaves you and I will be the only ones that saw it coming, or believe it had a bearing. Most will argue all the time in Hershey was best for him. Bah.

I have long thought he hated being in Hershey, watching SMo get all of his NHL development reps, and missing out on critical playoff reps. I hated it. We were rebuilding, and shunned our hopeful 1LD Alzner getting into games for who is now looking to be an 7 8 in Boof. Mo, benched in the last playoffs. It was a mistake. Alzner had one playoff game under his belt just 3 months ago.
something that is good for you is often something that leaves you angry and resentful.

so, the hershey time being good for him and also being the reason he would want to get out of the organEYEzation is very possible.

my read on this player, though, is that he has no interest in doing that. maybe if he were an angrier player or someone known to have a little rebellous edge to his personality might feel more inclined. this guy? come on

Old
07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think people underestimate the value that sarge could bring back.

He's young, had success, and signed to a reasonable contract if you see him as top 4. To a team like clb, that could be the best path.

If caps are becoming a team that outsiders prefer, then hannan may give caps a shorter deal than he'd give clb. Allowing both teams to be better of.

Simply, it's the varly/TV situation over again.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm pulling a borro. Mcphee can get a first for Schultz and it wouldn't surprise me if he got one for Fehr.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I have long thought he hated being in Hershey, watching SMo get all of his NHL development reps, and missing out on critical playoff reps. I hated it.
What evidence do you have that makes you think he feels this way? I understand you hated it but why do you think he felt the same way?

Do you honestly think that if you were sitting down having a beer with Alzner right now he would be saying something along the lines of 'yeah we'd have a deal done right now but I am holding out for more than I want simply to stick it to them for making me play 2 seasons in Hershey?'

That grassy knoll is getting crowded...

Old
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
something that is good for you is often something that leaves you angry and resentful.

so, the hershey time being good for him and also being the reason he would want to get out of the organEYEzation is very possible.

my read on this player, though, is that he has no interest in doing that. maybe if he were an angrier player or someone known to have a little rebellous edge to his personality might feel more inclined. this guy? come on
What?? As usual, you have it pegged exactly backwards. You seem to live for angry posts, in your element sensationalizing the opines of a dude on the internet and applying it to the entire fanbase for the maximum drama effect.

You think his time in Hershey for him was good for him? How do you know it was better in the AHL over the NHL? He was all but put in a position to fail in his limited chances here. He was upset when he got demoted. What's your reason to pretend like he wasnt upset? To argue?

Old
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
exwhaler

Quote:

Of course, that's just pure speculation that runs completely contrary to what Alzner has said or how he has acted. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would always stick to a script when interviewed, and besides, if he was really upset enough that he would screw the team who drafted him, I think we would have heard something by now.

We're talking about a rookie blueliner who also served as the team's top-paring shutdown guy, and by most defensive metrics was one of the best doing it in the NHL. The team probably views him as a franchise player, but he's still an RFA, which means trying to get a long-term deal is going to be tricky. Brouwer is no where near that caliber of player, but the Capitals took until today to sign him despite trading for him at the draft.

If Alzner wanted to stick it to the team, he would have accepted an offer sheet by now.

Quote:
You think his time in Hershey for him was good for him? How do you know it was better in the AHL over the NHL? He was all but put in a position to fail in his limited chances here. He was upset when he got demoted. What's your reason to pretend like he wasnt upset? To argue?
His time in Hershey introduced him to his current and possible career partner John Carlson, and that pairing--established and cemented in his last season in Hershey--allowed him and Carlson to become legit top-pairing guys in the NHL in their first full seasons...something that rarely happens.

Even Alzner has said that. Emphasized it, actually.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What evidence do you have that makes you think he feels this way? I understand you hated it but why do you think he felt the same way?

Do you honestly think that if you were sitting down having a beer with Alzner right now he would be saying something along the lines of 'yeah we'd have a deal done right now but I am holding out for more than I want simply to stick it to them for making me play 2 seasons in Hershey?'

That grassy knoll is getting crowded...
Not that Im jumping on the grassy knoll...but Alzner did make some pretty sarcastic comments back them about knowing the route to and from Hershey all to well. It wasn't much, but you could tell he wasn't in the best mood about it.

Do I think he'd want to stick it to the Caps for it...I doubt it...put I wouldn't completely dismiss the claim.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
sk84fun_dc

Back to rumors and moves, I know people like the simple math and point to Fehr, but seems like there are other options which make more sense from a roster/cap perspective.

Assuming Poti is on LTIR...

Trade Fehr or

Trade Chimera and demote or trade King (or Beagle) if more than Chimera's cap hit is needed

As to banking cap space this season, unless Semin is the one who is traded or Alzner's cap hit is ridiculously low, it's hard to envision an opening roster, which doesn't use all the cap room.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Back to rumors and moves, I know people like the simple math and point to Fehr, but seems like there are other options which make more sense from a roster/cap perspective.

Trade Fehr or

Trade Chimera and demote or trade King (or Beagle) if more than Chimera's cap hit is needed

As to banking cap space this season, unless Semin is the one who is traded or Alzner's cap hit is ridiculously low, it's hard to envision an opening roster, which doesn't use all the cap room.
It was actually a joke. I think Chimera's the most likely to be moved, as he brings the least value of the "expendable" forwards, and is the most overpriced for his projected slot.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Not that Im jumping on the grassy knoll...but Alzner did make some pretty sarcastic comments back them about knowing the route to and from Hershey all to well. It wasn't much, but you could tell he wasn't in the best mood about it.

Do I think he'd want to stick it to the Caps for it...I doubt it...put I wouldn't completely dismiss the claim.
I remember those comments, but I don't recall them being anything other than a typical Alzner joke. I've never really seen or heard anything from him which would indicate he was fed up with how he was being treated. Frustration and disappointment, sure, but never without perspective.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:32 AM
DrPP

Quote:

Trade Fehr or

Is the assumption that they'll be unable to trade Schultz? Wouldn't you want to trade him before Fehr?

Old
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
C-A-P-S

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fehr on his way out for picks. Chimera's cheaper, healthier and plays more physical.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I'm pulling a borro. Mcphee can get a first for Schultz and it wouldn't surprise me if he got one for Fehr.
4 firsts in the deepest draft since 2003 would be awfully nice.

They'd either have a bunch of ammo at the deadline, or completely restock the prospect pipeline.

Closed Thread