HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke - Media 10:30AM

Old
07-06-2011, 10:49 AM
BrannigansLaw

vCash: 500
So no attempt at Stamkos whatsoever?

If that's the case, then boo-urns Burke, truly boo-urns.

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
LeafDangler

Colton Orr's only value to this club (even this is debatable) is by getting punched in the head and punching others in the head. Why would someone who just suffered a severe concussion ever put themselves in that situation again?

Completely off topic but how can the NHL be taken seriously on their headshot stance when nonsense like this happens all the time?

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
While I think the job Burke has done is admirable there are times when he needs to put his principles in the back seat and do what's best for the team.
Most of the teams that have given out contracts like this better pray the NHL and the NHLPA don't decide to do anything about them in the next CBA discussion, or they might be in big trouble. And we already saw with NJ that the NHL is willing to punish teams going overboard. Why risk it?

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol View Post
Most of the teams that have given out contracts like this better pray the NHL and the NHLPA don't decide to do anything about them in the next CBA discussion, or they might be in big trouble. And we already saw with NJ that the NHL is willing to punish teams going overboard. Why risk it?
I don't see anything wrong with giving Stamkos a 10-11 year contract, other than injury concerns of course.

He'll be 33 or so around then?

Kovalchuk was another situation given his age.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
So no attempt at Stamkos whatsoever?

If that's the case, then boo-urns Burke, truly boo-urns.
It's impossible to know.

He may of made a trade inquiry, But we won't know for a while.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
robr00

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371119

My edited version of this new TSN article: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371119

TORONTO - Brian Burke has no interest in making the Toronto Maple Leafs better.

Burke missed out on a legit No. 1 center in free agency because they were unwilling to offer a competitive contract.

Burke also indicated his ego has gotten in the way of adding high-end talent to the leafs by extending an offer sheet to restricted free agents Steven Stamkos and Drew Doughty.

Even still, the Leafs GM says he's confident the team will not make the playoffs, again.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
I'm sooo glad to hear Orr is ready to play!

Likely lineup this fall:

Lupul-Connolly-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Brown-?-Orr
Extra:Rosehill

Phaneuf-Aulie
Liles-Schenn
Gunnarsson-Franson
Extra:Komisarek

Reimer
Gustavsson

With Finger finishing out his contract on the Marlies, helping develop Blacker and Gardiner. Boyce might be the fourth line centre. Meanwhile, if there are injuries to Grabs or Connolly, we've got Lombardi who might be ready and waiting in the wings once his concussion issues clear up.

That's not a bad lineup at all. I think we have what it takes to take a serious run at 6th to 8th.
I think our depth is key here. We're going to have injuries eventually. What's nice is that we have quality players to step in if we lose key players to injury.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
contour

No Stamkos ???

And I think Frattin will be in the lineup somewhere

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr00 View Post

Burke missed out on a legit No. 1 center in free agency because they were unwilling to offer a competitive contract.

Burke also indicated his ego has gotten in the way of adding high-end talent to the leafs by extending an offer sheet to restricted free agents Steven Stamkos and Drew Doughty.

Even still, the Leafs GM says he's confident the team will not make the playoffs, again.
HAHAHAHA that gave me a nice laugh this morning thank you!

TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Reverend Salty

Quote:

Morning Steve. Nice to see you rolled your fat ass out of bed before noon.

Reverend Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Vexxed14

This is being played on tsn radio right now

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
Say wha??????????
Hahahaha that threw you off as well? Glad I'm not the only one

Old
07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
ppaul092
Twiggy Aliens

Quote:

ppaul092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with giving Stamkos a 10-11 year contract, other than injury concerns of course.

He'll be 33 or so around then?

Kovalchuk was another situation given his age.
I think he was talking about Richards contract

And as for Stamkos, offer sheets aren't a popular method amongst GMs. Sure, Burke could nab Stamkos from Stevie Y but then you become enemy number 1. Good luck making the trades Burke/Nonis have made during their tenure when 80% of the league disrepects you.

It's simple logic, and people really need to grasp this. There is a reason why 28 other teams haven't made an offer..

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
The Velvet Hammer

its on 1050 now...

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
I think he was talking about Richards contract

And as for Stamkos, offer sheets aren't a popular method amongst GMs. Sure, Burke could nab Stamkos from Stevie Y but then you become enemy number 1. Good luck making the trades Burke/Nonis have made during their tenure when 80% of the league disrepects you.

It's simple logic, and people really need to grasp this. There is a reason why 28 other teams haven't made an offer..
Oh ok, I see. Yea, if its Richards getting that type of contract, I'm certain that the NHL would be busting our balls about it.

As for Stamkos, it takes simple reading comprehension to see that I never said Burke should put in an offer sheet. I would be disappointed however if he didn't inquire about a possible trade. Of course, we have to wait and see what comes out later on from the media but IMO, that sort of thing would generally be leaked by the media earlier.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Regarding offersheets:
"I don't contemplate doing one right now"

Isn't that what he said about Kessel too?

Also

*heavy breathing*

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
ThreeHundred

Okay well don't make an offer sheet - atleast try making a trade for him?

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Oh ok, I see. Yea, if its Richards getting that type of contract, I'm certain that the NHL would be busting our balls about it.

As for Stamkos, it takes simple reading comprehension to see that I never said Burke should put in an offer sheet. I would be disappointed however if he didn't inquire about a possible trade. Of course, we have to wait and see what comes out later on from the media but IMO, that sort of thing would generally be leaked by the media earlier.
IMO, there's absolutely 0% chance of a trade for Steven Stamkos. The only way he can be obtained is RFA Offer Sheet - which will not happen. Therefore, Stamkos + Leafs = Fantasy

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
contour

Quote:
Hahahaha that threw you off as well? Glad I'm not the only one
Totally threw me off lol

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
IMO, there's absolutely 0% chance of a trade for Steven Stamkos. The only way he can be obtained is RFA Offer Sheet - which will not happen. Therefore, Stamkos + Leafs = Fantasy
Really? How did we get Kessel then?

Not that I disagree that Stamkos to the Leafs is a pipe dream.

Last edited by BrannigansLaw: 07-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Regarding offersheets:
"I don't contemplate doing one right now"

Isn't that what he said about Kessel too?

Also

*heavy breathing*
I don't think he ever intended an offer sheet on Kessel. He just wanted the threat of one to loom over Chia's head. Whether that was a smart move remains to be seen.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol View Post
Yes, but after the Kovy incident, the NHL established guidelines. Like the last years of the contract can't be worth less than half the first years. That's why you have Erhoff with an 8 million dollar signing bonus -- 2 million in salary the first year -- and 1 million in each of the last 3 years.

While the NHL does not like this contract -- and Bill Daly stated this -- there is nothing they can object to.

Brian Burke doesn't work for the NHL or the NHL Cap Morality Commision -- and if these deals allow you to give more money to a player while lowering the cap hit -- then you need to do what you need to do.

It's all a game, let's not pretend there are some moral issues tied to players contracts.

I look at Chicago and Hossa+Keith -- they have a Stanley Cup. I look at Boston and Savard (although he was injured) and they are prepared to do it. Detroit with Zetterberg and Franson -- they have a cup in the last few years.

These are all top teams winning cups and playing the game but somehow we are bound by Burke's moral issues and until this point can't match up with any of the above teams. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and do your job -- something Burke will never do -- but lets hope he can do his job at the very least.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
sirreef

We have no idea what inquiries are being made on Stamkos right now. All we have is a bunch of internet GMs speculating that nothing has been done - and maybe it hasn't.

With that said - we know of no other GM in the league has done anything different in regards to Stamkos.

So, either there are 29 GMs that are absolutely terrible according to the prevailing internet GM logic or we just aren't privy to everything.

sirreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
naturalnumbas

Richards was UFA with no desire to play in Toronto, everybody in hockey was saying he would sign in New York. Therefore in the minds of (some) Leaf fans, Toronto had a great shot at him and Burke screwed it up.

Stamkos is an RFA with no chance of coming to Toronto. Period. Get over it. Ask yourself, is Stevey Y a complete mental cripple? He may have taken a few headshots in his day, but I get the feeling he's still able to tie his own shoes in the morning, therefore he will not let Stamkos get away.

What in the world possesses some people into thinking the Leafs have a legit shot at every UFA, and now every RFA? Even if Tampa couldn't sign Stamkos (they will), there are 28 other teams besides Toronto that would like to have him. This isn't Burke's fault.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote