HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you fill out lineup card..

Old
07-06-2011, 03:12 AM
alexmanu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
No Bergfors? I think we should try him out in the top 6. I know Trotz will NOT do that to start, but Kostitsyn never should've been in the bottom 6 last year from the beginning.

Also, I seriously doubt we have 3/4 rookie dmen either. We'll probably sign a cheap, serviceable vet or put Lebda(yuck) there.
Yeah I was wandering where Bergfors was, I think we would try Wilson ahead of him in the top 6 if no one was signed. But I honestly see Poile going for a top 6 forward. Ideally I would want our output in a trade to be draft picks, we are pretty much stacked in our prospect pool, let's use that to our advantage.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:26 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Yeah I was wandering where Bergfors was, I think we would try Wilson ahead of him in the top 6 if no one was signed. But I honestly see Poile going for a top 6 forward. Ideally I would want our output in a trade to be draft picks, we are pretty much stacked in our prospect pool, let's use that to our advantage.
Well I'd go with Bergfors before Wilson because Bergfors is only on a 1 year deal where Wilson is on a 2 year deal and this year being 2 way.

Hold on, which Wilson are you talking about? We have 3 now. I was assuming Kyle Wilson. You probably meant Colin.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Legionnaire11

If we can grab Miettinen and Zherdev on cheap contracts, i'd try to bring both of them in. Along with Bergfors, Erat and Kostitsyn there would actually be some competition among scoring line wingers.

Wouldn't mind grabbing a veteran D as well, always liked Scott Hannan, even on the Sharks.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If we can grab Miettinen and Zherdev on cheap contracts, i'd try to bring both of them in. Along with Bergfors, Erat and Kostitsyn there would actually be some competition among scoring line wingers.

Wouldn't mind grabbing a veteran D as well, always liked Scott Hannan, even on the Sharks.
Miettenen and Zherdev wouldn't be terrible, but I want us to invest in a truly quality forward. If we can trade for one then I would do that instead. I don't think we are going to sign another D guy, just my opinion.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Miettenen and Zherdev wouldn't be terrible, but I want us to invest in a truly quality forward. If we can trade for one then I would do that instead. I don't think we are going to sign another D guy, just my opinion.
I agree completely. I always believe in quality vs. quantity. I'd rather trade for 1 great forward than bring in 2 guys who might pan out. Also, I'd be a little worried about bringing in too many people like Bergfors and Zherdev who are not exactly known for their defensive abilities. I know I'm new here but what has been your experience with doing that? Do they end up in the dog house or do they work out just fine? I know that offensive help is needed but I would hate to see it come at the cost of bringing in a player who wouldn't fit the system.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
I agree completely. I always believe in quality vs. quantity. I'd rather trade for 1 great forward than bring in 2 guys who might pan out. Also, I'd be a little worried about bringing in too many people like Bergfors and Zherdev who are not exactly known for their defensive abilities. I know I'm new here but what has been your experience with doing that? Do they end up in the dog house or do they work out just fine? I know that offensive help is needed but I would hate to see it come at the cost of bringing in a player who wouldn't fit the system.
The odd offensive minded player is fine, which is why I liked the Bergfors move. But our offense is primarily based on toughness and gritty play. Obviously a few offensive minded players would work really well in our system, but we can't overload ourselves with those sorts of players. We really do need a top 6 forward, and I want quality. Anyone that can get 25+ goals I would settle for, but if we could get someone elite then I would be ecstatic. But all I am looking for is a guy that is going to get you at least 25+ goals.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:23 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudlin View Post
He has that reputation, but was a lot better last year on the Flyers. Him getting scratched a lot was more about their depth at forward and line chemistry than a lack of effort.
You must have watched the 3 good games he had....he was terrible. They were trying to give him away for most of the 2nd half of the season. Trust me, you want nothing to do with this guy.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
The odd offensive minded player is fine, which is why I liked the Bergfors move. But our offense is primarily based on toughness and gritty play. Obviously a few offensive minded players would work really well in our system, but we can't overload ourselves with those sorts of players. We really do need a top 6 forward, and I want quality. Anyone that can get 25+ goals I would settle for, but if we could get someone elite then I would be ecstatic. But all I am looking for is a guy that is going to get you at least 25+ goals.
Me too! Let's do it!

Old
07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
To answer your question, Trotz has a very short leash...it's long enough to get to the doghouse, but that's about it. Without going on and on about it, Trotz is completely into "trust" meaning he will most often only play guys he trusts will adhere to his defensive system/philosophy. If he can't trust a player in that regard, he won't see the ice time, particularly in crucial situations or late in the game. If forced with a choice, he will always go with the player that he trusts defensively over one that has offensive ability, even if the situation calls for your best offensive players to be getting ice time.

Hypothetically in regards to your question about Bergfors, we all know that the only reason he's here is because he was cheap, available and the Preds have openings on their roster. I would suspect that if this were a guy playing down in MIL in the AHL, Trotz would probably object to his call-up until he learned the defensive system and proved himself. So in bypassing the "road through Milwaukee", Bergfors will really have to prove himself in a very short period of time. Typically I would say a guy like Bergfors gets early season grinder time, but out of a necessity due to this thin roster, he may actually get more premium ice time soley out of dumb luck. Hopefully that kind of answers your question.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
To answer your question, Trotz has a very short leash...it's long enough to get to the doghouse, but that's about it. Without going on and on about it, Trotz is completely into "trust" meaning he will most often only play guys he trusts will adhere to his defensive system/philosophy. If he can't trust a player in that regard, he won't see the ice time, particularly in crucial situations or late in the game. If forced with a choice, he will always go with the player that he trusts defensively over one that has offensive ability, even if the situation calls for your best offensive players to be getting ice time.

Hypothetically in regards to your question about Bergfors, we all know that the only reason he's here is because he was cheap, available and the Preds have openings on their roster. I would suspect that if this were a guy playing down in MIL in the AHL, Trotz would probably object to his call-up until he learned the defensive system and proved himself. So in bypassing the "road through Milwaukee", Bergfors will really have to prove himself in a very short period of time. Typically I would say a guy like Bergfors gets early season grinder time, but out of a necessity due to this thin roster, he may actually get more premium ice time soley out of dumb luck. Hopefully that kind of answers your question.
I agree completely. You sort of cross your fingers and hope Bergfors gets his chance and takes advantage of it. Often, you see players with promise but flaws (and lacking significant financial commitment) get a game or two of nice ice time and if they don't produce, they disappear to the depths of the lineup.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

On the same token, he put up with Arnott, Dumont (for awhile), Kariya and Sullivan who are all below average defensively. Kariya and Sully were horrible cherry pickers.

If you put up the numbers he doesn't care.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Colin Wilson ($1.725m)
Patric Hornqvist ($3.000m) / Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($0.575m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m)
/ Zack Stortini ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Brett Lebda ($1.450m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Ryan Ellis ($1.440m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.675m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $56,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $40,627,500; BONUSES: $1,925,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $15,672,500

This has Ellis, who's the most expensive defenseman in for cash purposes. Too much cash and a good 7 million under the floor.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

BFC, are these cap numbers or real numbers? Erat's cap hit isn't that high, it's what 4.5m?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
BFC, are these cap numbers or real numbers? Erat's cap hit isn't that high, it's what 4.5m?
Salary numbers,

Erat 6 M
Fisher 4 M
Rinne 4 M
Tootoo 1.35
Hornqvist 3 M

based on my estimations if you slightly over pay for the RFAs Nashville should have about 6.3 million left under cap

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Kostitsyn - Fisher - Hornqvist
Wilson - Legwand - Erat
Spaling - Smithson - Tootoo
Bergfors - O'Reilly - Halischuk

Weber - Suter
Blum - Klein
Ellis/Laakso/Josi - Bouillon/Lebda

Rinne
Lindback
That looks pretty good to me. The only change I'd do is I'd change Bergfors with Tootoo.

Bergfors, imo, always had decent potential as a top-6 forward. I think in Nashville he could do that.

And you definitely don't want Lebda to be anything more than a #7.

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Laakso-Bouillon
Lebda

Which actually looks pretty damn good. Atleast you won't have SOB taking penalties left, right and center eh?

I'm really hoping guys like S-Kost, Hornqvist, Wilson, Blum and Klein continue to develop. That could be the difference between a top-4 and a bottom 4 playoff finish for you guys.

If Wilson can reach 20g while playing a two-way game, and S-Kost and Hornqvist can both reach 60 points while improving their two-way game, you guys are laughing with the amount of depth you guys have.

O'Reilly also needs to develop his two-way game and FO better too, just to support a guy like Smithson who'll have a much heavier work load due to Goc being gone.

You guys are in a good situation imo. You just need your young talent to improve and take the next step.

07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
That looks pretty good to me. The only change I'd do is I'd change Bergfors with Tootoo.

Bergfors, imo, always had decent potential as a top-6 forward. I think in Nashville he could do that.

And you definitely don't want Lebda to be anything more than a #7.

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Laakso-Bouillon
Lebda

Which actually looks pretty damn good. Atleast you won't have SOB taking penalties left, right and center eh?

I'm really hoping guys like S-Kost, Hornqvist, Wilson, Blum and Klein continue to develop. That could be the difference between a top-4 and a bottom 4 playoff finish for you guys.

If Wilson can reach 20g while playing a two-way game, and S-Kost and Hornqvist can both reach 60 points while improving their two-way game, you guys are laughing with the amount of depth you guys have.

O'Reilly also needs to develop his two-way game and FO better too, just to support a guy like Smithson who'll have a much heavier work load due to Goc being gone.

You guys are in a good situation imo. You just need your young talent to improve and take the next step.
Honestly, Bergfors won't do much good on the 4th line and really needs to be in the top 6. He is a scorer and doesn't do much else really well. He doesn't play a physical game and he hasn't shown he is great defensively up to this point either.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Trouble is Trotz will make him earn his ice time just like he did with SK.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Trouble is Trotz will make him earn his ice time just like he did with SK.
Which I'm sure he knew when he was signing with the Preds.

Trotz has a reputation around the league that probably includes him saying that players would earn their TOI. Bergfors definitely knows whats expected of him.

Spaling-Smithson-Bergfors should be a line which works pretty well. Spaling and Smithson can cover for Bergfors defensive weaknesses, and Bergfors can maybe provide some offense on that line. Trotz's system gets the most out of it's players, Bergfors could do well here if it goes well. Low risk, high reward.

It's actually a good signing for the Preds.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:27 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Honestly, Bergfors won't do much good on the 4th line and really needs to be in the top 6. He is a scorer and doesn't do much else really well. He doesn't play a physical game and he hasn't shown he is great defensively up to this point either.
our 4th line is a scoring line, not an energy line anymore. so the top six arguement for success is kinda moot. he will play with guys that play more an offensive game. guys like o'reilly, wilson maybe, geoffrion. he will only be able to blame himelf.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:40 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Well looks like I was wrong, we might be rolling with the young guns on D.

http://www.section303.com/poile-thir...new-kids-12070

Old
07-07-2011, 04:46 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well looks like I was wrong, we might be rolling with the young guns on D.

http://www.section303.com/poile-thir...new-kids-12070
This is a big risk, but we have Lebda and Bouillon as back-ups so I guess if it is a success then we will soon forget about losing Franson and SOB. I trust Poile on this one, he has been watching the guys and knows all about their abilities by talking to coaches, he never makes a rash decision (even if you think he does).

Old
07-07-2011, 05:14 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
This is a big risk, but we have Lebda and Bouillon as back-ups so I guess if it is a success then we will soon forget about losing Franson and SOB. I trust Poile on this one, he has been watching the guys and knows all about their abilities by talking to coaches, he never makes a rash decision (even if you think he does).
I'm fine rolling the young guns on D. There will still be a vet Dman somewhere who isn't signed Poile can get for cheap if he doesn't like the way the kids start. But he still needs to do something for the offense.