HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs Prospect Camp : Report

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2005, 11:59 PM
JeffForsberg21

vCash: 500
Someone have the jersey numbers wore by Leafs players at Rookie Camp ?

I have a few, Steen #10, Noel #61

but the others ??

Old
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Netminders

Todd Ford

Justin Pogge- was very impressive and opened some eyes amongst the scouting staff, consistently good

Defenceman

Pat Sutton -may get some ice with the Marlies, probably spending time between Pensacola and the Marlies.

Andy Wozniewski -was good, probably our best D-man in one of the games

Phil Oreskovic- played well, made a great open ice hit...needs more time in Brampton

Tyson Marsh

Steven Later -has all the tools to play well but I felt had a few mental lapses... but a few subsequent giveaways brought me back down to earth...still decent though for a Marlie.

Steffan Kronwall - Pensacola coach (Leafs ECHL affiliate) joked that he was hoping to convince Leaf management to send Staffan to the ECHL to him this year, but based on his play looks like he is headed to Leafs big camp instead so the chance of that happen was less then none .. ...Good game too, got rocked by Latendresse and disapeared after that though...but that wasn't neccessarily a bad thing, plays a mistake free type of hockey and takes his man out, would really benefit from having a little more mean streak though...I saw Pierre Hedin a few years ago, and he was pretty good, but Kronwall has looked much better....

Drew Kivell

Dominic D'Amour - had a few fights

Forwards

Alexander Steen -top 5 player game 1 , best player in game 2 Steen is a fantastic hockey player who always makes a smart play, odd rookie mistake notwithstanding. Is not very shy of traffic and using the body to make a play. Plays on a different level than most players on the ice simply because of his hockey sense. Great all around player so far..Looked good again, very skillful, but didn't stand out as much as the first game I saw (please don't hurt me guys) he's not very tall, but he's build very solid, low center of gravity and plays on a different level then the others on your team, it's too bad he's not with better linemates, cause he's really carrying whatever line he was on

Jan Steber- is similar to Ponikarovsky

Chris St Jacques -were just fair, talented but not talented enough to overcome their lack of size.

Martin Sagat - is similar to Ponikarovsky...soemtimes his play is unremarkable.

Dominic Noel- "Making the Cut" boy Domonic Noel scored a pair of goals On Leafs lunch Pensacola coach (Leafs ECHL affiliate) spoke about Noel and spoke very highly of him in this camp .. Noel showed good speed and strength ...1. Seems to have decent size.2. His acceleration was extremely good.3. He can finish.Seems like he might.....make the cut?...is not flashy but tries hard. I think he's earned a stay with the Marlies. Good forward speed

Colin Murphy - has physical aggression ..in one game he was The most impressive forward

John Mitchell -also staked his spot on the Marlies and may have the skill to join the parent club in 3-4 years.

Derek LeBlanc

Shaun Landolt- was the best player in the first game
Landolt does have a contract .. He was signed to a minor league deal the same day that Johnny Mitchell was signed to avoid re-entering the draft..

Jergy Jr was on Leafs lunch today and confirmed that exact thing today when Bill Waters asked him about landolt. Fergy said he has a two year deal and will likely be playing for the Marlies this year ..

Mike Hoffman- unremarkable.

Luke Fulghum- Played well in the first prospects team easily the second best player

Brett Engelhardt - cycled down low with the puck on a few occasions and the Panthers D could not keep up ..has physical aggression

Brent Aubin - were just fair, talented but not talented enough to overcome their lack of size.
Gotthis from this thread....anyone got anything to add about these players?

Old
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
wasting time

One thing that I really like is that the Leafs have not had this deep a prospect camp in years! And it is not like we are looking at a bunch of talented kids that are going back to junior. These guys have been Leaf prospects for 2-3 years and now are banging at the door.

I think it is a great idea to have these guys all play for the Marlies unless someone completely sticks out so much that they have to play for the Leafs. Take a good look at them all together, see what you really have, call them up when needed for injuries etc., then build next year's team around them.

Old
09-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Made teh point on Hogan's show today (Fan 590... was on the way to a charity golf tournament, so I was out of work for legit reasons ), and he agreed, that it makes sense to give the youngsters time to develop together as Marlies under a great developmental coach, rather than sit in the press box/play 4th line minutes with the Leafs under a coach who has alway sdone better by veterans than kids.

Especially when a) they've got a top-5 goaltender in Belfour for one more year - it doesn't make sense to be rebuilding in front of a goalie that good - and b) they've been able to add so much top-end veteran talent on the cheap, in a way that likely will never be repeated.

I'm actually really excited to see the Marlies play - and play well - this season, and I think it will stand the Leafs in good stead having them learn to win together.

Old
09-13-2005, 07:59 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

From what I gather, the Leafs don't have a lot of bluechip prospects, but they have a lot of prospects who have a chance at greatness and could develop into decent NHL players. There aren't very many players who you can really easily knock off as a career minor leaguer.

ie. Ford and Pogge may not have starter potential, but both look like they can be backups. Sagat is questionable, but he could be a Ponikarovsky clone... Later may be a late bloomer... Wellwood, well we all know about him... Kronwall is suddenly looking really good... Mitchell looks like he could be a 3rd line centreman but you never know...

Lots of guys who may not reach their potential, but at least the potential is there if you see what I mean...

I guess a lot of it has to do with you guys hyping some of these guys though

Old
09-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Outside of Steen, Cola, Wellwood and Kronwall, I think we're extremely weak. And those four are more likely to develop into solid everyday NHLers, not bluechips.

I'm sorry, but I just can't share the optimism that some of you are showing. I was at the Toronto-Florida rookie game, and with no Steen and Kronwall on the ice, we looked pathetic.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:05 PM
EazyB97

I kind've want that though. I'd rather have 2-3 guys saving our *** every year and standing out. Nobody's rookie list team is their team in 2-3 years. If you have solid guys coming in consistantly, then your golden. It'd be nice to have 20 Steen/Cola/Wellwoods, but very unlikely.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:06 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing
Outside of Steen, Cola, Wellwood and Kronvall, I think we're extremely weak. And those four are more likely to develop into solid everyday NHLers, not bluechips.

I'm sorry, but I just can't share the optimism that some of you are showing. I was at the Toronto-Florida rookie game, and with no Steen and Kronvall on the ice, we looked pathetic.
Looking at my post, I seem a little too optimistic...

I don't think our prospect group is strong, but we have guys who may be NHLers, perhaps only fringe NHLers, but considering how we've acquired some of these guys you can't complain.

Optimistically, we have a lot of decent/fringe NHLers coming through the system if they reach there full potential, not many of our prospects can you write off without some thought.

Negativically, we have almost no surefire NHLers, too many players who likely won't amount to anything, and having future fringer NHLers won't win you much.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
I kind've want that though. I'd rather have 2-3 guys saving our *** every year and standing out. Nobody's rookie list team is their team in 2-3 years. If you have solid guys coming in consistantly, then your golden. It'd be nice to have 20 Steen/Cola/Wellwoods, but very unlikely.
True. However depth is nice because the law of averages (which, if you can't tell, I'm pulling directly out of my ***, so don't ask for any figures...) dictates that only, say, one out of three prospects will turn out OK. Hence, it's good to have depth in prospects, even if it's only borderline prospects, to increase the chances of having guy able to step up and replace exiting first-teamers.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
EazyB97

I just don't agree with that. If I go out, as a GM, and sign 900 players to try-out contracts and have them make up all of my roster, they probably won't be very good and able to compete. It's better to have 1 good prospect than 10 crap prospects. At least thats how I see it. These guys aren't Crosby's, but they look good and it looks like were willing to give them a shot. If nothing else, its better than it has been the past 3-5 years.

Old
09-14-2005, 07:08 AM
wasting time

My original point in all this was that I cannot remember when there were so many challengers to the big club -- guys who are going to be top AHL players, or maybe a third or 4th line guy in the NHL. Kronwall, Wellwood, Steen, Tellqvist, Colaiacovo, Wozniewski etc.

Closed Thread