HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OFFICIAL Rumors From Non-Credible Sources thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  #901
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,095
vCash: 500
The current CBA expires after next season. No one knows what the new system will be. You can almost be guaranteed the cap scale will be altered. On the path they're on the cap will be like 100m in 5 years. They need to change that. Also rumor has it the owners want to remove the floor. So I'd stay away from trading for players with long contracts.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
  #902
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
The current CBA expires after next season. No one knows what the new system will be. You can almost be guaranteed the cap scale will be altered. On the path they're on the cap will be like 100m in 5 years. They need to change that. Also rumor has it the owners want to remove the floor. So I'd stay away from trading for players with long contracts.
if they remove the floor they will have to boost the cap limit or the players won't be happy

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
  #903
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
  #904
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?
Middle of the pack. Never above 40m.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
  #905
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR
 
J Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?
Top 5-8 in salary

J Sawyer is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 02:59 PM
  #906
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?
in today NHL without a cap I would say it will be

1-NY Rangers
2-Toronto
3-Montreal

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  #907
dcal64
Registered User
 
dcal64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?
Can't really compare, since the Canadian dollar has almost doubled since then. Canadian teams now have the advantage compared to US teams.

dcal64 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  #908
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
When the cap was not existing where was mtl vs the rest of the league concerning slaries?
http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/2003

You can check each team for every season.

2003-04 Montreal had a pay roll of 39M. Rangers were 76.5M. Leafs 62.5M. I imagine without a cap teams like the Rangers would have far exceeded the 100M mark by this point.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  #909
ngc_5128
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sawyer View Post
Top 5-8 in salary
Weren't the Canadiens just an excuse to sell beer back in the old Molson days? I don't remember them being big spenders in the 90's

ngc_5128 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
  #910
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sawyer View Post
Top 5-8 in salary
Nooo. Never. In the old Molson regime the Canadiens were rather cheap. The top paying teams were always the Leafs, Red Wings, Avalanche, Rangers, Stars, Devils. Canadiens would usually be in the 10-15 range.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
  #911
habaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Nooo. Never. In the old Molson regime the Canadiens were rather cheap. The top paying teams were always the Leafs, Red Wings, Avalanche, Rangers, Stars, Devils. Canadiens would usually be in the 10-15 range.
Cheap?? Really? If you take the exchange rate as it was then into consideration, you'll realize that the US equivalent would put them much higher that 10-15. On top of that they were building a new arena which requires a ton of cash flow. Molson was anything but cheap.

habaholic is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
  #912
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR
 
J Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Pretty sure Montreal was pretty high up there during the downtime of the late 90's.
Check here

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$salai_e.htm

J Sawyer is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
  #913
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Cheap?? Really? If you take the exchange rate as it was then into consideration, you'll realize that the US equivalent would put them much higher that 10-15. On top of that they were building a new arena which requires a ton of cash flow. Molson was anything but cheap.
They were cheap. Compared to George, they were. As soon as Uncle George came in, everything changed.

deandebean is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
  #914
habaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
They were cheap. Compared to George, they were. As soon as Uncle George came in, everything changed.
Show me numbers

habaholic is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
  #915
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR
 
J Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Also, check

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lls_in_the_NHL

98/99 Montreal had the fifth highest payroll in the NHL. I know that since the 90's they were the 5-8 highest payrolls at those times. Don't forget how bad that 98/99 team was in comparison to other teams, hence the slashing of payroll after that season

J Sawyer is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
  #916
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Show me numbers
Don't need to. The players that were making the most money got traded away because of it. Look at the trades during the Houle period and it says everything. The team's expenses were cut drastically. The reason why Houle was hired was because he was already on Molson's payroll. Many moves were made to save money from the inside: plane rides, etc.


When George came in, everybody flew 1st class. They spent galore. Sure the dollar got better. But George knew that the organisation had to be bigger spenders.

deandebean is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
  #917
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Don't need to. The players that were making the most money got traded away because of it. Look at the trades during the Houle period and it says everything. The team's expenses were cut drastically. The reason why Houle was hired was because he was already on Molson's payroll. Many moves were made to save money from the inside: plane rides, etc.


When George came in, everybody flew 1st class. They spent galore. Sure the dollar got better. But George knew that the organisation had to be bigger spenders.
Yup. I remember when they had to make a decision between Koivu and Recchi because they wouldn't keep both. Such BS.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
  #918
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,189
vCash: 500
people are correct in here--even during 90's with a 60 cent dollar, habs were in the 5-9 range in salary. never lower. they weren't in the league with the rags, leafs, detroit etc but they were up there. as soon as building was built, dollar evened out and they re-branded the team they've been top 2 in revenue. and when Gillette sold team one of the conditions of the caisse desjardins loan was that molson spent to cap EVERY year

Hugo Sham is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
  #919
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR
 
J Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
So, there we have it. deandebean and habaholic are wrong.
Can we move on to regular rumours now?
What's the deal with TB? We getting Malone or not?

J Sawyer is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
  #920
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
The current CBA expires after next season. No one knows what the new system will be. You can almost be guaranteed the cap scale will be altered. On the path they're on the cap will be like 100m in 5 years. They need to change that. Also rumor has it the owners want to remove the floor. So I'd stay away from trading for players with long contracts.
The cap is based on league revenue. Saying it being at 100M$ in 5 years is a problem is ignorant. It means the league is making money out of its ears.

It's only fair the players get their cut.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
  #921
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
I'm gonna go relax in my pool.. when I come back we better have signed Malone, Winchester, O'Brien and traded Spacek.

68 is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
  #922
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I'm gonna go relax in my pool.. when I come back we better have signed Malone, Winchester, O'Brien and traded Spacek.
You better be gone a long while
pack some food to bring with you

AntonCH is online now  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
  #923
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
If the owners demand to "remove" the floor I think a strike will happen.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
  #924
habaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Don't need to. The players that were making the most money got traded away because of it. Look at the trades during the Houle period and it says everything. The team's expenses were cut drastically. The reason why Houle was hired was because he was already on Molson's payroll. Many moves were made to save money from the inside: plane rides, etc.


When George came in, everybody flew 1st class. They spent galore. Sure the dollar got better. But George knew that the organisation had to be bigger spenders.
From 1992 to 2004 the habs averaged 31.79 Million dollars (US) in payroll which in theory would've put them 14th in the league during that span.

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$salai_e.htm

However, if you take the exchange rate into into the equation, between October 15th 1992 and April 15th 2004 the average exchange rate was 1.4265 (http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/), so in reality the $ amount was 45.34 which was 4th in the league behind TOR, NYR and Detroit respectively. How can you say they were cheap?

The reason they got rid of those "stars" as you say is because those players for the most part (Recchi, Damphousse, etc..) were all UFA's to be and the habs were out of the PO picture by the trade deadline and we traded them in order not to lose them for nothing.


Last edited by habaholic: 07-06-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Forgot something
habaholic is offline  
Old
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
  #925
ymorin007*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Maarten
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I'm gonna go relax in my pool.. when I come back we better have signed Malone, Winchester, O'Brien and traded Spacek.
You forgot Vinny for Gomez

ymorin007* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.