HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals sign W Troy Brouwer for 2 years ($2.35M per)

Old
07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
I think more people should appreciate guys like Sjogren (my boy), Eakin, Beagle, and Orlov. All four guys under a million all with a limited dropoff from guys like Chimera and Fehr. Eakin would certainly be more useful then Chimera and he also has a good set of wheels, albeit he's not as big as Jason. Bradly will be missed but at the very least Sjogren can play Left or Right Wing on the 4th line and hopefully eventually develop into a third line center.

Orlov I'm not sure would be a huge risk on the third line defensively but he would be a pleasant surprise if he could show the staff that he's ready for the NHL.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Signed, sealed, delivered....

Hope this guy works out...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Signed, sealed, delivered....

Hope this guy works out...
You know before this year I was very worried about the teams ability to replace Knuble for next year. However with Brouwer and Laich signed it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Old
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I think more people should appreciate guys like Sjogren (my boy), Eakin, Beagle, and Orlov. All four guys under a million all with a limited dropoff from guys like Chimera and Fehr. Eakin would certainly be more useful then Chimera and he also has a good set of wheels, albeit he's not as big as Jason. Bradly will be missed but at the very least Sjogren can play Left or Right Wing on the 4th line and hopefully eventually develop into a third line center.

Orlov I'm not sure would be a huge risk on the third line defensively but he would be a pleasant surprise if he could show the staff that he's ready for the NHL.
See Orlov's name mentioned by a number of folks on these boards. Orlov is not NHL ready and probably requires at least one to two years at Hershey.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but still believe that Hannan is waiting upon the Capitals.

Caps now 1.8 over, Poti going on LTIR will put them 1 under. Waive DJ King that's 1.6. Trade Schultz for pick(s) and then that's about 4.3. Fehr on LTIR moves it to 6.5 and thus more than enough for both Alzner and Hannan.

That was easy!

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Capitlols

Can't help but post this:

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Caps now 1.8 over, Poti going on LTIR will put them 1 under. Waive DJ King that's 1.6. Trade Schultz for pick(s) and then that's about 4.3. Fehr on LTIR moves it to 6.5 and thus more than enough for both Alzner and Hannan.
what he said. Plus I'd trade Chimmer if needs be.

Roughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Semin

I had no clue Brouwer was 5th in hits last year with 262.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:18 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander Byfuglien View Post
I had no clue Brouwer was 5th in hits last year with 262.
I didn't know either before the trade. Most def welcomed around here. Ramp up the forecheck.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I am liking this pickup. If Bradley hit in the regular season like he does in the playoffs, I bet he would be getting closer to Brouwer type contract numbers.

You like Clusterbuck? We will have to settle for Brouwer.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am liking this pickup. If Bradley hit in the regular season like he does in the playoffs, I bet he would be getting closer to Brouwer type contract numbers.

You like Clusterbuck? We will have to settle for Brouwer.
There is nothing wrong with settling for Brouwer, not saying that you said it is a problem settling for him or anything but at the end of the day Brouwer has playoff expirence/cup ring. Fehr for a 6'4 guy doesn't use that size to his advantage enough. Right now for the Caps trying to move Fehr makes a ton of sense.

What line do you guys think Brouwer will play on?

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander Byfuglien View Post
What line do you guys think Brouwer will play on?
3rd potentially with Laich and Ward.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think Brouwer is going to be our 2LW for game 1.

We are lacking a top 6er, or a center, unless we are handing the 3C job to a guy with no GP.

I think George seems happy as a clam with his current group so I expect no more moves; take Vokoun and be happy.

Laich at center and Brouwer on a scoring line, is how I see it playing out to start the year. Prove me wrong Cody. Prove me wrong SoJo.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Brouwer is going to be our 2LW for game 1.

We are lacking a top 6er, or a center, unless we are handing the 3C job to a guy with no GP.

I think George seems happy as a clam with his current group so I expect no more moves; take Vokoun and be happy.

Laich at center and Brouwer on a scoring line, is how I see it playing out to start the year. Prove me wrong Cody. Prove me wrong SoJo.
Backstrom/MoJo/Halpern/Sjogren down the middle makes the most sense, put Laich on the 2nd line LW to play with Semin and maximize your scoring talent on the 1st two lines.

Having 3 weaker lines capable of scoring is nice but I'd rather put Halpern, Ward, and Brouwer together on the 3rd line to play against other teams' top lines.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Backstrom/MoJo/Halpern/Sjogren down the middle makes the most sense, put Laich on the 2nd line LW to play with Semin and maximize your scoring talent on the 1st two lines.

Having 3 weaker lines capable of scoring is nice but I'd rather put Halpern, Ward, and Brouwer together on the 3rd line to play against other teams' top lines.
I am fine with Laich as a winger but I am trying to tow the company line that he is a C. I actually think he can survive as a 2C in a system a little less taxing defensively on our Cs. Paired with Semin in his only other chances at 2C, I really think they havent meshed that well offensively. They need a complimentary player. Maybe Brouwer is that guy.

Laich at wing, our top 6 is the same as last year. Bruce has to adjust what we do to make that 6 work otherwise I think we will all slowly go insane.

Its likely Laich fails at 2C, but I think the mega discount he took to stay here was based in part on a promise to be a C. Not a checking C either. Lets see if Brouwer is the missing piece. Before it was Flash Laich Semin. Flaccid failure.

I think SoJo will be hard pressed to beat out Halpern on our depth chart and can see your 4Cs happen, IF Sjogren can bring the energy, in the form of hitting. I dont give a rats ass about his offense. I want some bangers on 4.

Old
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
LandofLincoln

Brouwer at 2.35 for two years. We couldn't pay him because we had to many prospects with similar game. He probably was worth only a second round prospect, well a first was a little over value. Chicago fans we liked him, and have nothing bad to say. I wish we still had him on our team. The 2.35 is market value. Not over-paying at all! The second year of the deal probably will seem like a bargain next year.

What is the latest on Semin? Hawks threads talking about it, but I don't see us making a move for him because we probably couldn't resign him next year.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
3rd potentially with Laich and Ward.
I think it depends on how MaJo is able to take faceoffs as well as weather or not Sjogren or Eakin can win the third line Center spot.

Basically

If MaJo proves that he can at least win 50% of his faceoffs then they won't have to pair him with Laich and in turn try Laich as the third line Center. This would then allow them to use Bouwer as the second line Winger opposite Semin.

All things being equal though I wonder who they would prefer at the second line power forward spot. Bouwer or Liach (or Ward)?

Either way it probably take till late November or December to find out the more regular line combos (ie the ones Bruce will use 60% of the time)