HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Schenn vs Couturier

Old
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Prime Time 7x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is a tough one. Couturier is not only good defensively, he's also very good offensively. Scouts for the World Junior team in Canada have said on numerous occasions that Couturier's vision for the game is what sets him apart from everyone else. Not even RNH has the vision that Couturier has. Scouts have also said that Couturier was the one guy that was unfairly targeted by other scouts over the years. They were looking for any way to knock him down a peg or two.
So those scouts that compared RNH's vision to that of Wayne Gretzky failed to reach that comparison with Couturier, yet he has better vision than RNH? RNH's vision and hockey sense is what made him the #1 consensus on basically everyones draft rankings. So I can't comment on who will be the better out of the two, as it is much much much too early to tell, but to say Couturier has better vision than RNH seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Prime Time 7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Time 7x View Post
So those scouts that compared RNH's vision to that of Wayne Gretzky failed to reach that comparison with Couturier, yet he has better vision than RNH? RNH's vision and hockey sense is what made him the #1 consensus on basically everyones draft rankings. So I can't comment on who will be the better out of the two, as it is much much much too early to tell, but to say Couturier has better vision than RNH seems to be a bit of a stretch.
His vision was always good, but the moment he was drafted by the flyers his retinas went into anabolic mode and now the kid has crazy vision. These type of things tend to happen with flyers draft picks.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Almost as much of a stretch as comparing RNH's vision to Gretzky's. Seriously, Why even throw that out there if you're a scout? Most GM's are going to laugh at you and the rest would probably have you committed.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
That's not something that I've made up. There have been several scouting reports in which Couturier was given top marks for his vision and that he was head and shoulders above everyone in his draft year. The only reason that Couturier went 8th overall instead of 1st overall is something that has been discussed ad nauseum - he dropped simply because scouts were looking for flaws in his game and when they didn't find any, they started overhyping other talent. The fact that a scout compared RNH to Gretzky is absolutely laughable.

Fact of the matter is that if you compare the numbers between Couturier and RNH, their assist totals aren't that far off - 1.08 for RNH, 1.03 for Couturier. So, that 5 hundredth of a point is not much at all. And when you factor in that the QMJHL is no longer the offensive league it once was and the WHL is actually a far more offensive league, one could make a case that indeed, Couturier's vision is better than RNH's.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
For all the hype there was around here over Dougie Hamilton people seem to be damn sure now that Couturier was the right pick much more now than then. In a week it went from wanting Hamilton with our pick to Couturier being the best player in the draft.

I'll wait until I see them both play to make an guess to their futures instead of relying on youtube clips and internet scouts.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Couturier View Post
For all the hype there was around here over Dougie Hamilton people seem to be damn sure now that Couturier was the right pick much more now than then. In a week it went from wanting Hamilton with our pick to Couturier being the best player in the draft.

I'll wait until I see them both play to make an guess to their futures instead of relying on youtube clips and internet scouts.
I was thinking the same thing.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If both made the team, and I'm sure they'd both be 3rd line together, who would play center? Or would it probably alternate?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If both made the team, and I'm sure they'd both be 3rd line together, who would play center? Or would it probably alternate?
I couldnt see them putting two rookies together with Simmonds.

I'd imagine Schenn would play wing on one of the top two lines.

If I were Lavi I'd go with this for the top 9:

Schenn - Briere - Jagr
JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier - Simmonds

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:49 AM
captainpaxil

i like cooter long term but i think schenn may keep him off the opening night roster. his lack of ahl eligiblity still confuses me

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That's not something that I've made up. There have been several scouting reports in which Couturier was given top marks for his vision and that he was head and shoulders above everyone in his draft year. The only reason that Couturier went 8th overall instead of 1st overall is something that has been discussed ad nauseum - he dropped simply because scouts were looking for flaws in his game and when they didn't find any, they started overhyping other talent. The fact that a scout compared RNH to Gretzky is absolutely laughable.

Fact of the matter is that if you compare the numbers between Couturier and RNH, their assist totals aren't that far off - 1.08 for RNH, 1.03 for Couturier. So, that 5 hundredth of a point is not much at all. And when you factor in that the QMJHL is no longer the offensive league it once was and the WHL is actually a far more offensive league, one could make a case that indeed, Couturier's vision is better than RNH's.....
I'll respectfully agree to disagree having seen both guys play IMO it's cut and dry, that said the ultimate judge will be time and what they are able to accomplish in their respective careers. In the meantime congrats on adding a couple of top notched young centers.

07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Terence Peterman

Well, Schenn seems like a quiet, reserved kid who just goes about his business. Couturier seems like a douchey guy whose neck will always turn beat red on the ice and drink too much, shoot high and wide, and poorly influence Schenn into doing terrible things.

I think they're both going to have different skill sets to be valued similarly though.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Scouts have also said that Couturier was the one guy that was unfairly targeted by other scouts over the years. They were looking for any way to knock him down a peg or two.
Flyers?

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
CharlieGirl

Here we go again.

Couturier fans on the right please. Schenn fans on the left. Please don't leave your line once you're there.

Now bicker forever about which one brings more to the team, which one is more valuable, and which one sucks. Rinse and repeat.

Or, we could all enjoy watching them both become the players they're going to be, all while wearing orange and black.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:35 AM
IrishSniper87

Schenn is 3C in my opinion.

Couturier is a year or 2 away IMHO. No need to rush the kid. Put Talbot on the 3rd line and have him check.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While Couturier should get a hard look in camp in the fall...best to let him develop properly. Give the guy another year to fill out and hone his skills. I agree with Meltzer's write up today about Couturier. You don't want to fastrack him too soon like we did Zubrus who had his development stunted.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Couturier View Post

Great handle name

I guess we'll see Flyers undies, sweats etc with Couturier's name across the butt..or just the nickname Juicy. His goals will be Juicy!

Old
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Here we go again.

Couturier fans on the right please. Schenn fans on the left. Please don't leave your line once you're there.

Now bicker forever about which one brings more to the team, which one is more valuable, and which one sucks. Rinse and repeat.

Or, we could all enjoy watching them both become the players they're going to be, all while wearing orange and black.
Couturier clearly has more grit and brings more to the table.

Plus, Schenn shows all the warning signs of early onset Partyboyitis.

Couturier stays, Schenn goes.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I don't know much about prospects anymore because I stopped paying attention when we started trading our picks away. That said though, it would seem to me that Couturier would be a bigger impact player. He has a bigger body than Schenn so that's a physical advantage, and all the comparisons I've seen have him projected to be like Jordan Staal. The problem I have with that comparison is, looking at their numbers, his offense is vastly superior to Staal's at the same age. If he brings defense similar Staal's, but can put up 70-80 points, he'll be one hell of a player.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.
Isn't this a bit premature? I mean, we still have Giroux and JvR on the team...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:34 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

Schenn - Briere - Jagr
JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Talbot - Schenn - Simmonds

works for me. Grit, scoring and you can ease Schenn into the 3C role.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.
Well he has always been compared to Richards

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That said though, it would seem to me that Couturier would be a bigger impact player.
Quote:
He has a bigger body
than Schenn so that's a physical advantage, and all the comparisons I've seen have him projected to be like Jordan Staal.
This translates to "wing span" that can cover one entire side of the ice and "effortless" skating. Plus he's still under 26 when you peak.....thus you keep him.

Schenn I agree could be the expendible one in a bigger trade....

I repeat..JUICY stays!

Old
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
Well he has always been compared to Richards
No you got it all wrong..compared to Clarke

Old
07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

Schenn - Briere - Jagr
JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Imo, that if the Flyers want Schenn to develope into the defensive forward they keep billing him to be, they play him on a checking line for atleast a season.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicisgod View Post
Is Schenn even more OFFENSIVE than Couturier? Just because Couts has a good defensive game doesn't mean he lacks offense. He had the best PPG out of anyone in his draft class, COMING off of MONO!!
Seriously this is my fear...STOP comparing Couturier to JORDAN STAAL!!

it makes people think he can't score!

he is a hell of a two-way player, but thats because his coach said "hey sean we need you to shut down their top guys tonight" and so he did for the last year in the Q (look at that plus/minus baby!)

but IMO this guy isnt even the ERIC staal comparison. He's more Lecalvalier potential.

sure Vinny scored a lot more in the Q, but Sean had Mono, was told to play shut-down, and in general the Q has had less scoring these days...

don't limit this guys ceiling, how we perceive him is most likely how he will be coached to develop. Jordan staal is nice, Eric staal is nicer, but Vinny is just plain Sexy

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote