HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting in training camp

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2005, 12:47 PM
DaveBrown21

vCash: 500
Fighting in training camp

Anyone know if Hitch still has a "no fighting in training camp" policy? I know some teams do, some don't.

My most vivid memory of training camp fighting was during Lindros's rookie year. It was scary how good a fighter he was. During the first two days of camp, he bludgeoned Phil Crowe (twice in one scrimmage), nearly ended Ryan McGill's career, and would have beaten Yuskevich to a bleeding pulp, had Yushkevich not turtled like a little girl. Not that Yushkevich was a fighter, but he certainly was not shy about throwing his weight around. One of the few guys that chose (wisely) not to challenge Eric was Jim Cummins.

Old
09-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBrown21
Anyone know if Hitch still has a "no fighting in training camp" policy? I know some teams do, some don't.

My most vivid memory of training camp fighting was during Lindros's rookie year. It was scary how good a fighter he was. During the first two days of camp, he bludgeoned Phil Crowe (twice in one scrimmage), nearly ended Ryan McGill's career, and would have beaten Yuskevich to a bleeding pulp, had Yushkevich not turtled like a little girl. Not that Yushkevich was a fighter, but he certainly was not shy about throwing his weight around. One of the few guys that chose (wisely) not to challenge Eric was Jim Cummins.
erm... didn't Primeau and McAllister go in our last training camp? i believe Primeau busted McAllister's nose... if any idiot goes with Primeau -- just off PC -- he may get lynched by the staff.

Old
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
DaveBrown21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
erm... didn't Primeau and McAllister go in our last training camp? i believe Primeau busted McAllister's nose... if any idiot goes with Primeau -- just off PC -- he may get lynched by the staff.
Thought that was two seasons ago (?). In fact, I thought that's what prompted Hitch to prohibit fighting.

Old
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Thought that was two seasons ago (?). In fact, I thought that's what prompted Hitch to prohibit fighting.
could be.

Old
09-13-2005, 06:38 PM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think Primeau broke his jaw. This is a fact he did brake his jaw.
Too bad Hatcher is not a forward

Old
09-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:

Lindros was a scary fighter. If the guy never had an ounce of hockey sense, he would have still made it to the NHL as a goon. Of course he wouldn't have lasted all that long with that soft head of his, but he would have been fun to watch.

The two most vivid pummelings I remember was when Lindros used Stevens as a punching bag. I think it was his rookiee year, but I could be wrong. My second favorate pummeling was against Montreal when Lindros beat up none other than Eric Desjardins.

Sometimes I miss good old fashioned thuggery

Old
09-13-2005, 07:09 PM
stanley

Do you know what I remember most about Lindros? How Worley or other trainers would lay a white towel over his shoulder when he came back to the bench.

Man, he was one great player before the concussions. There hasn't been anybody like that, with that complete of a package.

I always liked when Barnaby was on the other bench. Matthew's always been fearless despite being pummeled a few times by Eric.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Lindros was a scary fighter. If the guy never had an ounce of hockey sense, he would have still made it to the NHL as a goon. Of course he wouldn't have lasted all that long with that soft head of his, but he would have been fun to watch.

The two most vivid pummelings I remember was when Lindros used Stevens as a punching bag. I think it was his rookiee year, but I could be wrong. My second favorate pummeling was against Montreal when Lindros beat up none other than Eric Desjardins.

Sometimes I miss good old fashioned thuggery
I have both of those clips and I agree that Lindros pounding Stevens was a fantastic bout.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:41 PM
IronMarshal

I remember thinking Lindros was a great fighter until he got absolutely tuned up by Edmonton's Marty McSorely. After that fight, Lindros was far more selective in choosing his fight partners and accepting challenges.
In fairness, it must be said that E was at the end of a shift. But it still taught him a lesson and helped destroy the Eric the Invincible myth.
Anyone remember the Tony Twist episode where Eric took a three minute shift, refusing to fight Twist (a very bad dude) yet refusing to leave the ice before Twist. E was running guys everywhere and Twist was chasing him dangling his gloves. E just ignored him, really big timing Twist.
Eric learned to use body checks to police the ice and rarely used his fists on anybody he couldn't destroy after McSorely.

Old
09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I remember when Lindros beat Desjardins. It was in front of the Montreal net, and Lindros, if I remember correctly, punched Desjardins in the face, stunning him and sending him down, and then he hit him one more time in the face while he was in the midst of falling.

I remember Lee Norwood said that once he wrestled a bear in a carnival, and Lindros was tougher than the bear.

Old
09-13-2005, 11:00 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I have both of those clips and I agree that Lindros pounding Stevens was a fantastic bout.
where can i get a copy of that? i'd like to watch it every morning while i eat breakfast, to start my day with a good breakfast and a beating.

Old
09-14-2005, 07:40 AM
DaveBrown21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I remember when Lindros beat Desjardins. It was in front of the Montreal net, and Lindros, if I remember correctly, punched Desjardins in the face, stunning him and sending him down, and then he hit him one more time in the face while he was in the midst of falling.
I remember that game in Montreal that Lindros beat the crap out of a Habs dman...but I believe it was either Yves Racine or Stephan Quintal, not Desjardins.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:26 AM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Quote:
I remember that game in Montreal that Lindros beat the crap out of a Habs dman...but I believe it was either Yves Racine or Stephan Quintal, not Desjardins.
I believe you're thinking about the time Lindros decked Lyle Odelein.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:32 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
It was definitely Desjardins.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It was definitely Desjardins.
yep, Desjardins went to move Lindros way from Patrick Roy. Lindros went after Roy initially because he scored a goal and out of frustration Roy slashed Brindamour, Eric didn't take too kindly to that.

Closed Thread