HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Captain Cally or Captain Dubi? (All Captaincy Discussion)

View Poll Results: Who do you see more fit as Captain?
Callahan 256 78.77%
Dubinsky 69 21.23%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2011, 12:22 AM
  #226
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I've always been amused by the fact that so many people are either Callahan fans or Dubinsky fans. These two players will always be linked.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:22 AM
  #227
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I still firmly believe it should be Dubi.

Cally is a perfect A. A quiet, hard worker who can have a calming presence or get the team going with a leave-it-all-on-the-ice shift, but a little too vanilla to wear the C. People were calling Drury captain qualude, and I think Callahan is a little too similar; we're a young team, ready for a captain with some swagger.

Dubinsky, on the other hand, has a ton of fire and emotion and I WANT that from our captain. Some say he gets too emotionally involved, but I don't see that as a bad thing; some of the greatest leaders have been fiery, emotional guys. I think Dubinsky makes a great C for this team, especially with quieter guys like Staal and Callahan, who are around his age, and have grown up in the system along side him, to balance him out. Dubinsky gets the C for his fire and intensity and Callahan and Staal get the A's as the calming, yin to Dubi's yang.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
  #228
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
I still firmly believe it should be Dubi.

Cally is a perfect A. A quiet, hard worker who can have a calming presence or get the team going with a leave-it-all-on-the-ice shift, but a little too vanilla to wear the C. People were calling Drury captain qualude, and I think Callahan is a little too similar; we're a young team, ready for a captain with some swagger.

Dubinsky, on the other hand, has a ton of fire and emotion and I WANT that from our captain. Some say he gets too emotionally involved, but I don't see that as a bad thing; some of the greatest leaders have been fiery, emotional guys. I think Dubinsky makes a great C for this team, especially with quieter guys like Staal and Callahan, who are around his age, and have grown up in the system along side him, to balance him out. Dubinsky gets the C for his fire and intensity and Callahan and Staal get the A's as the calming, yin to Dubi's yang.
I always looked at it the opposite way. I'd want the quiet guy to be the C, and the fiery guy to get the A. I like Dubinsky's fire but I think a Captain has to pick his spots. Dubinsky is steamed all the time.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:32 AM
  #229
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I always looked at it the opposite way. I'd want the quiet guy to be the C, and the fiery guy to get the A. I like Dubinsky's fire but I think a Captain has to pick his spots. Dubinsky is steamed all the time.
Well, not that there is any one right or wrong way to do it (and I'll be happy with either truthfully) but look at Vancouver. If I were a Canucks fan I would much rather have Kesler wearing the C and Sedin wearing an A. Kesler gets pretty steamed and plays on the edge at times, that's for sure.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:07 AM
  #230
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Well, not that there is any one right or wrong way to do it (and I'll be happy with either truthfully) but look at Vancouver. If I were a Canucks fan I would much rather have Kesler wearing the C and Sedin wearing an A. Kesler gets pretty steamed and plays on the edge at times, that's for sure.
Dubinsky and Callahan are both better leaders than Sedin though. Vancouver fell into the trap of thinking your best player is automatically your captain.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
  #231
RegalRangers
Registered User
 
RegalRangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
C and A's Next Season

Drury's out. Where do the C and the two A's fall next season? What if we land Richards?

IMO:
(Richards)
C - Callahan
A - Richards
A - Staal

OR
(No Richards)
C - Callahan
A - Dubi
A - Staal

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
  #232
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Drury's out. Where do the C and the two A's fall next season? What if we land Richards?

IMO:
(Richards)
C - Callahan
A - Richards
A - Staal

OR
(No Richards)
C - Callahan
A - Dubi
A - Staal
i dont like the fact of giving new players a letter as soon as the player joins the team..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:50 PM
  #233
McMonster
Registered User
 
McMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,275
vCash: 500
If it was my decision:

C- Staal
A- Callahan
A- Dubinsky

I just prefer giving the C to a defenseman rather than a forward.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
  #234
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ
 
NYGRYK21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,280
vCash: 500
C-Cally
A-Dubi
A-Staal

NYGRYK21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
  #235
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
hasn't there been like 4 or 5 threads about this already?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
  #236
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dont like the fact of giving new players a letter as soon as the player joins the team..
THIS

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:13 PM
  #237
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Callahan can't be captain when he's threatening to accept an offer sheet from another team if we don't give him all the money he wants right now.

Dubi on the other hand has said only that he expects a deal to be done quickly and he's going to be back with the team.

Dubi's a more loyal Ranger than Callahan, Dubi should be captain.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:55 PM
  #238
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Callahan can't be captain when he's threatening to accept an offer sheet from another team if we don't give him all the money he wants right now.

Dubi on the other hand has said only that he expects a deal to be done quickly and he's going to be back with the team.

Dubi's a more loyal Ranger than Callahan, Dubi should be captain.
Oh for the love of God... his agent doing what he gets paid to do results in him not even being a candidate for the Captaincy?

And the fact that Slats is clearly slow playing the RFAs while he waits to see what happens on July 1 has no bearing on your perception?

And this before there's actually been a holdout?!?!?!?

Really?

EDIT: And, even leaving aside all of the above, do you not remember two years ago when Callahan signed fairly quickly and Dubi dragged the team through a protracted holdout that lasted all summer and into training camp? Suddenly Cally's a traitor and Dubi's ideal captain material? Really?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:59 PM
  #239
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Callahan can't be captain when he's threatening to accept an offer sheet from another team if we don't give him all the money he wants right now.

Dubi on the other hand has said only that he expects a deal to be done quickly and he's going to be back with the team.

Dubi's a more loyal Ranger than Callahan, Dubi should be captain.
It's a fun debate and I love both but Cally should be Captain. Also his agent is doing his job. Sather said he wants to wait out the RFA signings for flexibility on July 1st.

If they sign Richards then the RFAs will start signing up. They cant just throw 4 million at the guy, Sather is offering 3 I bet and they will eek there way closer to 4 in the end.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:02 PM
  #240
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
The way Torts said there may be moves and we may have changes so we have to look at that...makes you wonder if he actually might consider outsiders for captaincy?

What are the chances Richards is offered the C to take a lesser contract? I'm not sure I like that idea though. The pressures and the fact that we have our own home grown leaders on the club.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:14 PM
  #241
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Callahan can't be captain when he's threatening to accept an offer sheet from another team if we don't give him all the money he wants right now.

Dubi on the other hand has said only that he expects a deal to be done quickly and he's going to be back with the team.

Dubi's a more loyal Ranger than Callahan, Dubi should be captain.
You couldn't be more wrong. Try again.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
  #242
mpfitz85
Registered User
 
mpfitz85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
American Heroes and super best friends.




mpfitz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
  #243
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Time is nearing.....

Adam Herman from Blueshirtcentral said tel Dubinsky and Callahan whoever signs first becomes captain. Ha ha...

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:15 PM
  #244
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
If it was my decision:

C- Staal
A- Callahan
A- Dubinsky

I just prefer giving the C to a defenseman rather than a forward.
I agree. Especially when you have a defenseman like Staal who logs a ton of minutes and has a good, calming effect when he's on the ice.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
  #245
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,424
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I agree. Especially when you have a defenseman like Staal who logs a ton of minutes and has a good, calming effect when he's on the ice.
I'll also go with Staal as C, because I think either of Staal or Callahan would be a great choice, and my Callahan jersey already has an "A" on it.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
  #246
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
@JimCerny
Quote:
Mark my words: Dubi will not be captain RT @vmads94: @JimCerny Richards either wears C or nothing. I think Dub… (cont) http://deck.ly/~eHnDQ

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
  #247
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Getting the feeling we are going to see

C- Callahan
A- Staal
A- Richards

*edit so does Cerny
JimCerny Jim Cerny
Quote:
Assuming Cally is next captain...Staal would keep an A...you want a vet in there with a letter...respected Richards here for next 9 years

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
  #248
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
@JimCerny
You beat me to it, Goose - just saw that.

In...ter...est...ing...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
  #249
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Getting the feeling we are going to see

C- Callahan
A- Staal
A- Richards

*edit so does Cerny
JimCerny Jim Cerny
That's what I was thinking.

TheRedViper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
  #250
ranger_nick
Registered User
 
ranger_nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
i give it to the guy with the ring and the Conn Smythe...

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.