HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's going to take their game to the next level this season?

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to take their game to the next level next season?
Sauer (23) 13 11.02%
MDZ (21) 18 15.25%
Feds (32) 5 4.24%
Dubi (25) 29 24.58%
AA (23) 60 50.85%
Cally (26) 13 11.02%
Wolski (25) 13 11.02%
Stepan (21) 35 29.66%
Zucc (23) 24 20.34%
Girardi (26) 2 1.69%
Boyle (26) 3 2.54%
Prust (27) 2 1.69%
McDonagh (22) 23 19.49%
Staal (24) 20 16.95%
Girardi (27) 2 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Also i'm going to say Staal continues to improve. Don't know if i'd use "take it to the next level" though. I thought he started off a little shaky defensively this year but then, of course, turned into a ROCK 20~ or so games into the season. I think he plays at an elite defensive level all next year while improving his offensive game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Muh
Beadle

Like most here I voted AA, I expect a great year from him.

And maybe its just me, and I hope I am wrong. But I don't expect Boyle to have as good of a year as he did past season. Not saying he will be worthless, but I dont see 20 goals from him.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

I hope a lot of these guys take there game to the next level, but I really hope MDZ does. So much potential there.

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Boyle's production may go down, in large part, because he will see less playing time. With the addition of Richards, we will have a bonafide top line, and probably a fairly good 2nd line. I don't expect Boyle to be getting as much P.T. as he got last season so he might not have as many opportunities as he got last year.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:29 PM
mike14

Sauer for me. I honestly believe he will be the 2nd best D-man on this team (behind Staal).

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

I think Staal is going to improve offensively while becoming even more reliable defensively

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Boyle's production may go down, in large part, because he will see less playing time. With the addition of Richards, we will have a bonafide top line, and probably a fairly good 2nd line. I don't expect Boyle to be getting as much P.T. as he got last season so he might not have as many opportunities as he got last year.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I still expect him to be a valuable player, but can't see how he can come close to last years goal totals. Do we all expect him to play on "4th" line with Prust and Rupp?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I think I voted for half that list XD

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
I expect AA (didn't see most people were going this route as well) to have a more consistent year since he was disappointed in himself at the end of this season. If he can boost his drive this year and play with the energy Duby and Cally have (especially if they are on the same line again, which they better be imo), he should break out.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Have to agree given Torts track record of playing with a short bench, that being said I'm hoping Torts changes a little bit and tries to roll 4 lines more often, I think over a long season that helps.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Have to agree given Torts track record of playing with a short bench, that being said I'm hoping Torts changes a little bit and tries to roll 4 lines more often, I think over a long season that helps.
He rolled 3 lines last season because at that point, the 4th line was essentially a liability.

Wolski-Drury-Christensen or whatever combination of those players was not going to help this team in any sense.

Now, the team has much more depth. They could end up with a 4th line of Rupp-Boyle-Prust, which is nowhere near a liability, and could effectively play 10-12 minutes a night. When the team is fully healthy, from line 1 to line 4, it has depth, which is a good thing, and will allow Tortorella to get each player to play their game. I don't think he'll have to worry about the 4th line getting scored on nearly as much as he did before.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

All I know this team is stepping into the next level.

They're gonna be real good. Not necessarily elite or contenders, but not mediocre.

The first line is set. So is the second, third and fourth. This team's ready to go.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Del Zotto's gonna tear it up

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I forgot to put McD on the list - *vote Avery if you want McD*

So, Over the passed couple years we have been very fortunate enough to see some of our young guys grow leaps and bounds.

Anyways, who do you think is going to radically improve their game this year?

I am allowing multi-vote but also mention who you thinks going to make the biggest step. I got a feeling it's going to be AA but I really like Boyle's game and he's my pick for most improved

BUT, McD should take another leap in his game and I just can't see Marc Staal improving much more than he already has. The kid is a beast...Like many of you have said and will say - he can still vastly improve his offensive game but if his game from the center ice back improves he will easily be a HoF shutdown defender (Yeah - bold statement but let's be honest - if that part of his game improves he could arguably be top 2/3 guy from center ice back for a while) ..hes 24
Marc Staal? HOF shutdown defender? He's an absolute train wreck getting the puck out of the zone and his balance is horrendous. I don't see him with much more upside defensively until he learns to skate better and make much better reads. Ryan McDonagh is the player whose game will improve with experience and he will be our best defensive defenseman hands down. Some of you Ranger fans need to stop falling in love with Lundqvist and Staal and use a little common sense in analyzing their overall games. Both of them are so overated, its beyond comical!

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

dubi or w2

either guy who gets to play with br19 and gaby.

those 2 are gonna go off and the other guy is gonna go from zero to hero in a hurry

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I posted it in another thread, but I think it bears repeating--if Sean Avery is given the same average minutes he was over the course of last season, I think he'll put up decent numbers.

Shooting percentage is a stat that tends to stay relatively constant from season to season for each particular player. If a guy has an abnormally high shooting percentage one year, you can reasonably expect it to regress to the mean the next year. The same holds true for the opposite: an extremely low shot percentage will likely increase to a more normal level.

Last season, Avery shot a horrific 2.2%. Now, has his shot magically disappeared? It was never great to begin with, but it looked pretty much the same as it always did, to me at least. Prior to last season, his shooting percentage was about 8.3%. Had he scored on 8.3% of his shots last year, he would have scored 11 goals--giving him 32 points in 72 games, which is not bad for a guy playing a hair over 11 minutes per night.

If he reverts to his career norm (which is more likely than not), it would be a nice bonus for the team.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I picked AA, McDonagh and Staal will start to fill out his offensive potential a little bit.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Marc Staal? HOF shutdown defender? He's an absolute train wreck getting the puck out of the zone and his balance is horrendous. I don't see him with much more upside defensively until he learns to skate better and make much better reads. Ryan McDonagh is the player whose game will improve with experience and he will be our best defensive defenseman hands down. Some of you Ranger fans need to stop falling in love with Lundqvist and Staal and use a little common sense in analyzing their overall games.
Beg pardon? You and I (and I think most people would agree with me) are clearly watching two different Marc Staals. HOF shutdown defender is indeed a bit much, but you can't even be an average defenseman if you have "horrendous balance."

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
NYR Viper

I picked AA, Sauer and Staal.

I think Sauer has some very underrated offensive awareness and can add 10-15 points on last years totals.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Anisimov and Staal.

Anisimov will hit the 60-65 point mark and Staal will step up offensively.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Wasn't this a multiple-selection poll? I swear I voted for both Anisimov and Sauer.
It was/is

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 50
I went with Sauer, MDZ, Stepan, and Dubi.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:16 AM
darko

Anisimov and McDonagh

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:20 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

After his disaapointing season last year I sure hope it's Del Zotto.

Stepan, too. After Richards, I think he has the potential to be our next best playmaker.

Last edited by klingsor: 07-07-2011 at 12:58 AM.
klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Kershaw

Bold Prediction:

- McDonagh moves ahead as our #1 guy.

- Stepan could break out offensively, his quality of teammates was below average and team goals per 60 mins while Stepan on ice ranks 4th on our team. Not bad for a rookie,I wouldn't count on it but there may be a small chance he may be the next year's Jamie Benn.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote