HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Board Prospect Rankings (5th)

View Poll Results: Vote for our #5 prospect.
Jakob Silfverberg 53 38.41%
Nikita Filatov 75 54.35%
Matthew Puempel 0 0%
Stefan Noesen 4 2.90%
Bobby Butler 6 4.35%
Patrick Wiercioch 0 0%
Stephane Da Costa 0 0%
Mark Borowiecki 0 0%
Shane Prince 0 0%
Mike Hoffman 0 0%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Caje

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
I would choose Noesen, but will vote for Silfverberg since at this point it's a two-horse race.
Why? What have you seen of him that could possibly put him above both Silfverberg and Filatov (not to mention a bunch of others)? He didn't stand out in the development camp and was an off-the-wall pick.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDre View Post
I completely agree (minus the "Tovie" part). I've been voting for him since poll #1.
Lol you guys know the nickname Tovie is growing on you. I've seen people using it.

But in all seriousness I messed up in my post and said "Cowen" where I should have said "Rundblad." Only Rundblad has shown enough skill and accomplishment to really rival Filatov's upside as a prospect. Cowen, Lehner and Silfverberg could definitely end up better, but people are being far too down on Filatov for one bad year full of injury and a silly situation.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Filatov is a better prospect than Zibanejad or Silfverberg. Higher potential, and I don't buy the 'he's less likely to make it' argument.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
mikeymac

Well, as most of us know, its all about how much you weigh the different factors.

A) Potential/ceiling
B) Likelihood of hitting potential
C) How close is he to being in NHL

Most people will weigh A option the highest, cause its the most exciting. To have a Butler, who is at most an okay top 6 winger, but guaranteed of being decent is not overly exciting. And there are many more players like that around easier to replace.

And I think Silfverberg falls right in between both. More skill and talent than Butler but not the risk of a Filatov. He is however still a year away from NHL play (whether or not he is NHL-ready-and this counts towards his grade).

Anyhow, I'm interested in seeing where both Puempel and Noesen will land on our list.

Also curious about Caporusso. Ill admit i know next to nothing about him, but the HF rankings (terrible or not) had him 6th. And we dont even have him on our nomination voting list yet. Can any give me some info on him

Last edited by mikeymac: 07-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.
mikeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Since no one answered me last time:

How does Filatov, with three straight years of disappointing development, still have "higher potential" than a guy like Silfverberg who has improved every year by leaps and bounds since he was drafted.

For the record, one of the biggest things scouts look at when evaluating "potential" is how quickly they improve from season to the next. That's why Huberdeau goes 3rd, and Couturier goes 8th. That's why Nugent-Hopkins goes 1st, and Larsson falls to 4th.

At this point, I'd be happy to see Filatov crack 20 goals a season in the NHL.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post

How does Filatov, with three straight years of disappointing development, still have "higher potential" than a guy like Silfverberg who has improved every year by leaps and bounds since he was drafted.

For the record, one of the biggest things scouts look at when evaluating "potential" is how quickly they improve from season to the next. That's why Huberdeau goes 3rd, and Couturier goes 8th. That's why Nugent-Hopkins goes 1st, and Larsson falls to 4th.

With Filatov you have to understand where he comes from. I personally have the hope that if we let him loose he can bring something special. Let him play out the year in an offensive role and take it from there.

Columbus shat the bed numerous times when it comes to developing talent. It's no secret.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post

Depends on what you mean by disappointing development. As I indicated before, Filatov actually proved to us that he did improve with his impressive season in the AHL, WJC and KHL.

After Filatov was drafted, he played 8 games in the NHL where he recorded 4 goals, he also had an outstanding WJC where he recorded 8 goals and 11 points in 7 games and played in the AHL recording 32 points in 39 games. For a rookie thats amazing. The year after that he had trouble with Hitchcock and his stats showed it, 2 goals in 13 games as well as only 6 points in 6 games in the WJC(Some would still consider that really good)When he went to the KHL that year he recorded 22 points in 26 games, for a guy his age that's amazing.

Then there is this year which you could say is the only year he actually showed a decrease in development but then again you have the injuries and Hitchcock ordeal.

I think there is no real proof to justify that Filatov has actually decreased in terms of development that it would change his potential or his chances on making a big impact on the NHL. Infact I think he has proven his skill is still there and available can be used on North American ice.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Depends on what you mean by disappointing development. As I indicated before, Filatov actually proved to us that he did improve with his impressive season in the AHL, WJC and KHL.

After Filatov was drafted, he played 8 games in the NHL where he recorded 4 goals, he also had an outstanding WJC where he recorded 8 goals and 11 points in 7 games and played in the AHL recording 32 points in 39 games. For a rookie thats amazing. The year after that he had trouble with Hitchcock and his stats showed it, 2 goals in 13 games as well as only 6 points in 6 games in the WJC(Some would still consider that really good)When he went to the KHL that year he recorded 22 points in 26 games, for a guy his age that's amazing.

Then there is this year which you could say is the only year he actually showed a decrease in development but then again you have the injuries and Hitchcock ordeal.

I think there is no real proof to justify that Filatov has actually decreased in terms of development that it would change his potential or his chances on making a big impact on the NHL.
The guy just Yashin-ed his way right out of an organization.

If Filatov was indeed such an amazing prospect, why were we the only team to inquire as to his availability at the draft?

Hmm?

HMMM?

I thought you usually just stuck to overhyping prospects of Scandinavian descent?

The fact that some of you slack-jawed numbnuts wanted to put him in front of Zibanejad is borderline retarded.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Columbus shat the bed numerous times when it comes to developing talent. It's no secret.
Uhhh, yeah, that's sort of the point. That's a defense of Filatov's character and work ethic, not of his NHL future.

I never said the wasted years wer his fault, maybe they were, maybe it was Columbus, maybe it was both. That doesn't change the fact that in the end, he failed to show much progress at all in 3 years. Maybe he develops fine from hereon out, but those 18-21 years are so crucial for a player's development, and he's not getting those years back. So how does he still have such a high ceiling, when he's made no steps towards it in 3 years? Do you not have to concede at some point that maybe the ceiling is lower now than it was when he was drafted?

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Add Corey Locke
Corey, get off of HF and learn HOW TO ****ING SKATE LIKE A MOTHER ****ING PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER!

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:41 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post
Corey, get off of HF and learn HOW TO ****ING SKATE LIKE A MOTHER ****ING PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER!
I'm sorry, how many times were you AHL MVP?

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:50 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Filatov is going to make the team.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:58 AM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

I voted for this:

Please add Stone!

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:03 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Where's the Dyurzinski option?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Filatov pretty much was a PPG player in the KHL which is a better league than SEL.

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Hale The Villain

Silfverberg

Filatov was just traded for a 3rd round pick, I won't hop aboard the hype express until he shows something in training camp.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Both are the same age, but Silfverberg has passed Filatov in development. He has emerged as semi-elite forward in one of the best leagues in the world, where as Filatov had trouble doing that in the AHL, where he was passed on the depth chart by 4th and 5th round draft picks his same age. Filatov has likely a bit higher upside, but only marginally and the risk quotient is a heckuva lot higher.

And let's put it this way, there is no way the Sens would give up Silfverberg for Filatov.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

Based on results; Butler. Based on hype; Filatov. I voted results.

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:54 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Silfverberg gets my vote here... thanks for keeping these up Sammy, I totally forgot after being away for the long weekend.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Why? What have you seen of him that could possibly put him above both Silfverberg and Filatov (not to mention a bunch of others)? He didn't stand out in the development camp and was an off-the-wall pick.
I am trusting the scouting staff who had him ranked top-15 this draft. "Off-the-wall" pick? Why, because the free scouting agencies had him ranked in the 30s? Oh no, he didn't stand out at the development camp? He is 18.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I voted for this:

Please add Stone!
All of this.

Plus LULZ

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
operasen

Condra and Greening added

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
He sure stood out at the 3 on 3 tourny, winning team, great around the net, competitive. He could easily be considered around with Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Filatov, for our prospects. I'm not saying he is better than them, could he be, for sure though. I ended up voting Silfverberg just because I like his drive and the self pressure. Plus he plays the hard working game which I think will help him in the future.

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
If I could vote, it'd be for Filatov.

I don't count his yeas in Columbus as anything meaningful. Columbus has developed who? Nash was ready to go when he got there. Maybe Brassard or Voracek?

There's a reason Columbus has been near the bottom of the league over the past decade while drafting in the top 10 every year (except 2009).

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post
Butler.

Kid has done what Filatov has yet to do.

He has shown an ability to score goals at the NHL level.
I'm shocked at how little support he's gotten here. It was a close call between Filatov, Butler, and to a lesser extent Silfverberg and Puempel for me, and I settled on Butler eventually. I thought he would at least be in the race.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote