HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part III (pre-season schedule w/TV in #472)

Old
07-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Miettinen to the KHL... there goes that. List of free agents that could actually make an impact for us is getting pretty small.

Coppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Miettinen to the KHL... there goes that. List of free agents that could actually make an impact for us is getting pretty small.
Link? I saw this earlier but then it was reported that it wasn't true.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
lancer247

Quote:
There really aren't any impact players out there except maybe Hanna. I am glad Homer isn't just giving contracts to guys just because they have a name. I want to see some guys get an extended shot.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
There really aren't any impact players out there except maybe Hanna. I am glad Homer isn't just giving contracts to guys just because they have a name. I want to see some guys get an extended shot.
I feel like plenty of guys are going to get their "shot" next year as it is. It would still behoove us to add a veteran for the third line.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL/...06029475557377

Another minor player the flyers are chasing. If they sign him to a contract that would mean we are maxed out on contracts without Simmonds signed.... It has to mean something is up or the flyers contract count is wrong

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:50 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post

Another minor player the flyers are chasing. If they sign him to a contract that would mean we are maxed out on contracts without Simmonds signed.... It has to mean something is up or the flyers contract count is wrong
The Flyers are at 46 Contracts with Q offers still out there for Kalinski and Simmonds. So they have 2 left.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
The Flyers are at 46 Contracts with Q offers still out there for Kalinski and Simmonds. So they have 2 left.
Thank you sir i was following flyers guru on twitter and they said we are at 49 now.... can you tell me where you found a list? or how you got the info

Old
07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thank you sir i was following flyers guru on twitter and they said we are at 49 now.... can you tell me where you found a list? or how you got the info
capgeek has us at 46 contracts with Simmonds, Talbot unsigned. we would be at 49 if we sign Kalinski as well.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
capgeek has us at 46 contracts with Simmonds, Talbot unsigned. we would be at 49 if we sign Kalinski as well.

Okay thank you.. im stupid i frequent that website all the time and never noticed the number of non-roster players is right at that part of the page haha.. so we are really cutting it close to the max though and we are supposedly interesting in blake kessel too

Old
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Okay thank you.. im stupid i frequent that website all the time and never noticed the number of non-roster players is right at that part of the page haha.. so we are really cutting it close to the max though and we are supposedly interesting in blake kessel too
yeah we are cutting it close. Maybe we deal one of those non roster players for a low draft pick or something.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL/status/89006029475557377

Blake Kessel is a d-man. And he looks too much like Phil Kessel. Do not want.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Blake Kessel is a d-man. And he looks too much like Phil Kessel. Do not want.
Yea i know he played in hockey east i believe and put up alright number... but he does look eerily like Phil its pretty creepy

Old
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

I called this as an issue about a month and people seemed to say don't worry about it. It is a real issue. The irony is that the flyers giving out contracts to nothing college free agents and career AHLers could actually hinder their ability to give them out to real NHL players or legit prospects looking to make the team this season (Couturier)

Quote:

Saw him play a bunch of times and was never very impressed. He did have one big year where it looked like he actually could turn into something. But I think it was mostly a product of a very good offensive team.

My impression is that he has good offensive ability and very good stick handling. He can effectively QB a powerplay. His defensive game was bad even at the college level so unless he does some serious work it will be horrible in the Pros

Overall, not interested.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

With the signing of Simmonds and Talbots contract worked out we have 21 players with 2.7 million in space. If Sestito is given that last spot we have just over 2.1 million in cap space.

I have to think something is brewing... I don't know why but i dont remember the flyers going into the season with any cap space haha

Old
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
mirimon

Quote:
With the signing of Simmonds and Talbots contract worked out we have 21 players with 2.7 million in space. If Sestito is given that last spot we have just over 2.1 million in cap space.

I have to think something is brewing... I don't know why but i dont remember the flyers going into the season with any cap space haha
They could be going with 23 players on the roster, either 8 d's (Walker... ewww...) or 14 forwards. Also, if we want to bank cap space we have to include Lappy's salary, don't we, so the 2.1M left would be minus his salary.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
They could be going with 23 players on the roster, either 8 d's (Walker... ewww...) or 14 forwards. Also, if we want to bank cap space we have to include Lappy's salary, don't we, so the 2.1M left would be minus his salary.
Yea but im pretty sure lappy will be put on LTIR so that probably wont be a problem

Old
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Yea but im pretty sure lappy will be put on LTIR so that probably wont be a problem
That won't matter unless we're right up against the cap.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
mirimon

Quote:
That won't matter unless we're right up against the cap.
If I've got this right (and it's not much that says I have...) having Lappy on LTIR is only relevant (and necessary) if we come closer to the cap ceiling than 1.166.667. Unless we do that, he'll be on regular IR.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
If I've got this right (and it's not much that says I have...) having Lappy on LTIR is only relevant (and necessary) if we come closer to the cap ceiling than 1.166.667. Unless we do that, he'll be on regular IR.
Thats pretty much right. People seem to assume that LTIR eliminates someone's cap hit. But it doesn't, Lappy would still count against the cap. What it does is allow a team to go over the cap by the player's cap hit minus what capspace the team has.

The Flyers have something like 2 to 3 million in cap space now. So putting Lappy and his 1.166 cap hit on LTIR doesn't do anything right now, because we would still be under the cap. It only becomes relevant if the Flyers make another move that puts them closer to the cap.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Thats pretty much right. People seem to assume that LTIR eliminates someone's cap hit. But it doesn't, Lappy would still count against the cap. What it does is allow a team to go over the cap by the player's cap hit minus what capspace the team has.

The Flyers have something like 2 to 3 million in cap space now. So putting Lappy and his 1.166 cap hit on LTIR doesn't do anything right now, because we would still be under the cap. It only becomes relevant if the Flyers make another move that puts them closer to the cap.
A bit of side excitement with actually having - gasp! - cap space is that Laviolette could dress Laperriere. He wouldn't even have to take a shift, but just having him in uniform, coming out for the first home game, being announced ... the walls would shake with the ovation.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:

Ipsofacto we have a net gain of whatever cap space we have left plus his 1.16?

Technically right now we have the 2-3 mil, but in reality we could sign someone to 3.1-4.1 mil since his contract basically allows us to go into the "negative" past the cap if need be. And if they eventually out Shelly in the minors (PLEASE) they would have even more.

Just checked out capgeek with the simmonds signing, but without Talbot's numbers. They have us with 3.3 mil in cap space. If Talbot's number is right at 1.8 then we have 1.5 mil left with him signed. They do have Lappy's 1.16 on the count, but not Leighton's and the need for a 12/13th forward if they do put Shelly in the minors. If not then they would have to just sign a 13th forward unless they are going with bringing up a Phantom every time.

With Talbot signed we have 2.6ish Mil left on the cap including Lappy's space. If they got rid of Shelly we would have 3.7ish mil left for the 12th/13th forward spot that everyone here is filling in with Phantoms players making less than a mil a piece.

I think we could find a nice 3rd line winger that makes around 2 mil a year to fill out the top 9 nicely living Talbot-Betts-Nodl/Phantom, but I can easily see them saving that 2 mil and throwing Talbot/Nodl/Read/Holmstrom/Wellwood on that line and keeping Shelly in the Bigs.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
mirimon

On a bit of a side note, Nashville seems to have cleared up their rfa mess. Only one left to sign is S. Kostitsyn I believe, and I think he filed for arbitration anyway (not sure about that though).

Tampa continues to sign really cheap players to contribute on their bottom lines. Yesterday Tom Pyatt (whom I wouldn't have been completely opposed to see here since we could really use a pk expert) and today Ryan Shannon.

And Anaheim are stocking up on more or less goonish players to protect their prospects in the AHL (I assume they don't intend to have them up in the big league at least). Brian McGrattan, JF Jacques

Old
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I am quite amused with Florida's lineup this season. They're chock full of above average role players/energy guys.

Every player on that team will finish the season with 15-20 goals. Calling it now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Sat in traffic all day and thought of the best local t-shirt for this year, and my new avatar.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I am quite amused with Florida's lineup this season. They're chock full of above average role players/energy guys.

Every player on that team will finish the season with 15-20 goals. Calling it now.
I'm interested to see how they do this year also. Particularly how Markstrom does. I don't have confidence in him as an NHL player the way most do.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote