HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN: Kings Biggest Losers; NHL.com: Kings Biggest Winners of 2011 Free Agency

Old
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
Do you guys really think we had a successful Free Agency? Cheers to mediocrity then.
Just out of curiosity, which teams had a better FA signing(s) than we did?

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Just out of curiosity, which teams had a better FA signing(s) than we did?
I'm wondering this too.

Are Cole, Leino, Laich etc. for 4-6 years @ $4.5M better?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:25 PM
JDM

Healthy Gagne > mediocrity.

Thinking otherwise = mediocre thought process

Too bad we couldn't get Derek Meech. Winnipeg definitely won free agency.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Healthy Gagne > mediocrity.

Thinking otherwise = mediocre thought process

Too bad we couldn't get Derek Meech. Winnipeg definitely won free agency.
:biglau gh:

They signed Ran_y Jones. They lost, son.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
KingLB

Kinda Ironic, when you look around the league many many times doing something in FA leads to having a mediocre team.

Outside of Hossa, I can't think of any big move that paid immediate dividends.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
KingsCourt

Not winners, but def not losers...if you include Richie...winners.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:26 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
:biglau gh:

They signed Ran_y Jones. They lost, son.

Twas but sarcasm... Dad? Don't call me son

Old
07-07-2011, 12:09 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Twas but sarcasm... Dad? Don't call me son

Was going to say....

and lol. I'll call you whetver I want dawg.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Duc620

Quote:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but while i like having a young team, I insist we carry at least one forward and one defensemen, preferably 2 defensemen and 3 forwards, who are in their 30s.
Absolutely... always better to roll rookies onto a team with experience.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:16 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Do you guys really think we had a successful Free Agency? Cheers to mediocrity then.
Hi Rory...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think that with what was available that had an acceptable UFA season. Not good, not bad but time will tell.

If you want to talk about our offseason as an entirety then we have had an exceptional offseason.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I think that with what was available that had an acceptable UFA season. Not good, not bad but time will tell.

If you want to talk about our offseason as an entirety then we have had an exceptional offseason.
what kind of crazy speak is this.... WE WON FREE AGENCY.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
JDM

Success, at least to me, means coming out on top. We came out of FA on top. If you want to call that mediocre, fine. But bobafettish you intimated it wasn't successful. If your concept of success is only perfection, then you have no middle ground. That would assume there is mediocre, failure, or perfection. I think we ranked somewhere between mediocre and perfection, ie: successful.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Success, at least to me, means coming out on top. We came out of FA on top. If you want to call that mediocre, fine. But bobafettish you intimated it wasn't successful. If your concept of success is only perfection, then you have no middle ground. That would assume there is mediocre, failure, or perfection. I think we ranked somewhere between mediocre and perfection, ie: successful.
I don't care what it's called, the Kings got rid of 2 roster players in Smyth and Simmonds an swapped them out for Gagne and Richards. I'll take that trade any day of the week. Then factor in old lead foot Handzus and Ponikasucky are gone and the Kings are a better team. That's all I can ask for as a fan.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 07-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
i said we had a mediocre offseason and i stand by that. my point was everybody was bashing the article like we had a spectacular FA, which wasn't the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I don't care what it's called, the Kings got rid of 2 roster players in Smyth and Simmonds an swapped them out for Gagne and Richards. I'll take that trade any day of the week. Then factor in old lead foot Handzus and Ponikasucky are gone and the teams are a better team. That's all I can ask for as a fan.
were talking about FA not off-season moves. i believe we had a good not great offseason. As regards to our FA, it can range from awful to fantastic all depending on what gagne does. For now ill call our FA average.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 50
i liked Ponikasucky. I thought he adapted to the kings system and played his role really well. I didnt like his cap hit but that had something to do with replacing Frolov

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I suppose this will all depend on which Sgags we get next season. If we get the elite level sniper who can score clutch goals in his sleep then we flat out won the offseason. If we get the 17g for the past two seasons Gags then I see it as more of a wash.

If Gags stays healthy his speed will cause more trouble then Smyth's slow did and between the two Gags is a better two way player so his 17g would be akin to Smyth's 23g last season. Richards is such a huge upgrade at second/first line C that I think that we will end up seeing Gags if healthy meet or exceed Smyths production at half the price.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
i said we had a mediocre offseason and i stand by that. my point was everybody was bashing the article like we had a spectacular FA, which wasn't the case.

were talking about FA not off-season moves. i believe we had a good not great offseason. As regards to our FA, it can range from awful to fantastic all depending on what gagne does. For now ill call our FA average.
We all know as King fans Plan A guys won't come here until we win the Cup. The good news is Plan A players have now stepped up from ignoring the Kings to using the Kings as leverage. I'm fine with Gagne. Yes, he has an injury history but so do most NHL players. He has upside still, last season was last season-I'm out of cliches. Maybe the 1-3-1 system didn't suit him and he'll fit into TM's system like a glove? To say the Kings were losers because Brad Richards signed in New York is a bit much. IMO, these long term contracts need to be banned-5 years max.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
We all know as King fans Plan A guys won't come here until we win the Cup. The good news is Plan A players have now stepped up from ignoring the Kings to using the Kings as leverage. I'm fine with Gagne. Yes, he has an injury history but so do most NHL players. He has upside still, last season was last season-I'm out of cliches. Maybe the 1-3-1 system didn't suit him and he'll fit into TM's system like a glove? To say the Kings were losers because Brad Richards signed in New York is a bit much. IMO, these long term contracts need to be banned-5 years max.
Crosby has a BAD injury history. I am pretty sure every NHL team would take him!

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Why do this? There have been plenty of these contracts that have hilariously blown up in the teams face and ones that were thought to be great contracts are now an albatross hanging over the team. Drury, Redden, Campbell, DiPietro, are all bad, even Luongo, Gaborik, and Kovalchuk are now showing signs they may not have been the best of decisions... Bad contracts happen in every sport and they pretty much need to happen to make things interesting. The GMs need to learn to avoid them as that's what seperates the good ones from the bad ones.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:41 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think if a player is beyond a certain age, a limit to contract length would be a good thing. But why limit guys in their mid-20's to 5 years when they could realistically play the length of the deal?

Just IMO, I don't think the DiPietro deal fits in with the other cap circumventing deals. He has/will make $4.5M all 15 years, it's not like he had 5 years making $8M-10M and 5 making $1M or less.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I think if a player is beyond a certain age, a limit to contract length would be a good thing. But why limit guys in their mid-20's to 5 years when they could realistically play the length of the deal?

Just IMO, I don't think the DiPietro deal fits in with the other cap circumventing deals. He has/will make $4.5M all 15 years, it's not like he had 5 years making $8M-10M and 5 making $1M or less.
But it's still an example of a long term contract coming back to haunt a team and you'd be outlawing both types by putting a rule in place so it is relevent. I'd rather see something like a clause added restricting the money dropoff at the end of contracts to reduce cap hit. That way it specifically targets the type of contracts that are the real problem... For instance restrict it so that no single year of a contract can be less than 60% of the highest year of the contract in question.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
JDM

Quote:

Well, since this all spawned from the article, we have to consider off season trades as well. That's art of why the article sucked, because with other teams he factored in trades (Varlamov), but with us, completely ignored Richards and Smyth. Our FA specifically was good, our offseason as a whole has been fantastic.