HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Peter Delmas 3yr

Old
07-05-2011, 10:26 AM
ruski17

vCash: 500
You never know... Habs to wonders with goalies so he might turn out to be a decent backup goalie at one point in his career. Either way, Good for Pete and hope he does well, but if not, no one really cares.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Okay I guess...strange that we sign the backup goalie in Hamilton before the starting goalie but that's how they do it, I guess it's fine. Let just hope we don't miss on any of the starting ones. Like McIntyre.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
GoHomez

Saw somebody mention LeClaire the other day and I gotta admit I have been thinking about him as well, some sort of reclamation project. Or is he too banged up?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

some good insight from thegoalieguild

http://audioboo.fm/boos/405061

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No, God, No.. NOOOOO.
Haha, I hear ya. I was pretty stoked when Halifax got him, and was pretty disappointed with his showing here. I think he's got a bit of that Chris Osgood syndrome where he'll look super solid behind good defensive clubs, but will have his limitations exposed quickly in games where his team is overmatched. Good thing is, we should have a solid squad in Hamilton, so maybe he has a chance to continue building on his momentum and confidence at that level.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel View Post
Who was the big kid the Habs drafted a couple of years ago? He was a goalie and he stood about 6'7''.
Jason Missaen (?)

was not sihgned by the Habs last year. Played in Baie Comeau. Got a contract by the Rangers at the end of the season.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Jason Missaen (?)

was not sihgned by the Habs last year. Played in Baie Comeau. Got a contract by the Rangers at the end of the season.
I can't believe the Rangers signed him but with Henrik their for years to come they just want Ahl fodder probably.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
ROSSter

Pumped for my buddy Delmas. I've known him since High School. Hes a great guy and a great addition to the Habs. You should see his sick helmet he got painted with a habs theme. Hopefully he plays his way to the big club. Congrats bud, keep it up.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Delmas and MacIntyre would've been nice. Lawson on the other hand...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

After reading up on the situation on The Goalie Guild, I must say I'm liking this more and more.

He's most likely out of the ECHL after only 1 year, which is roughly what it took for Reimer (who didn't have nearly as good stats over there) and about 2 years ahead of Desjardins who's looking close to making the NHL as a backup.

It's definately looking like he might turn into a decent 3rd goalie in the near future and step up as a backup in a few years if his development can stay somewhat constant.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
After reading up on the situation on The Goalie Guild, I must say I'm liking this more and more.

He's most likely out of the ECHL after only 1 year, which is roughly what it took for Reimer (who didn't have nearly as good stats over there) and about 2 years ahead of Desjardins who's looking close to making the NHL as a backup.

It's definately looking like he might turn into a decent 3rd goalie in the near future and step up as a backup in a few years if his development can stay somewhat constant.
I see where you're coming from, but Desjardins was part of the "best goaltender duo" in the AHL two years ago, at age 23, and mind you he was the member of that duo who played the most games and had the best stats. I think we should wait until Delmas at least sets his bar roughly that high, instead of comparing at a level of development below where comparisons really matter in this case: the AHL. You'll notice that at the same age (21), they had/have both played just a couple of AHL games. That should be the starting point, imo. We'll see if Delmas gets 12 games next year, which is what Desjardins got at the same stage.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I see where you're coming from, but Desjardins was part of the "best goaltender duo" in the AHL two years ago, at age 23, and mind you he was the member of that duo who played the most games and had the best stats. I think we should wait until Delmas at least sets his bar roughly that high, instead of comparing at a level of development below where comparisons really matter in this case: the AHL. You'll notice that at the same age (21), they had/have both played just a couple of AHL games. That should be the starting point, imo. We'll see if Delmas gets 12 games next year, which is what Desjardins got at the same stage.
I'm assuming Delmas is graduating this year though. If he isn't, it's a whole other story.

And again, the projection on his development curve is based on the assumption that it would be constant.

EDIT : Went retarded when I looked at Desjardins' birthdate, so it would be *1 year* and not 2.

Last edited by Em Ancien: 07-05-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Oops.
Old
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Desjardins was 22 for the 06-07 hockey year. He played as an overager in the Q.

I'm assuming Delmas is graduating this year though. If he isn't, it's a whole other story.

And again, the projection on his development curve is based on the assumption that it would be constant.
I don't think that math is accurate. Desjardins is a September birthday, so he turned 21 just a month before the '06/07 season started (and was obviously still 21 until just before the start of the '07/08 season).

Old
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't think that math is accurate. Desjardins is a September birthday, so he turned 21 just a month before the '06/07 season started (and was obviously still 21 until just before the start of the '07/08 season).
I know, for some reason I used the hockey year as a birthdate. I edited my post.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

haha, I wrote that original prospect profile back when Delmas was backing up Jonathan Bernier in Lewiston and both of them were playing extremely well.

Things have changed since then. In Quebec and Halifax, the defensemen playing in front of him weren't as focused on clearing away rebounds and that exposed Delmas.

Here's what I submitted during his last year in junior:
Quote:
Rebounds continue to be a concern, mainly on low shots. When he's moving, holes open up downlow. When he's set, he's got the size to cover the bottom half of the net well. Up high, he's got a good glove. A little scary playing the puck. Aggressive in the net, he comes out to challenge the shooter. When he's on his game, he tracks the puck well and puts himself in great position to make the 2nd and 3rd save, which considering his rebound tendency and his average speed in net, is a necessity.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote