HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
McPhee will start negotiations for Fehr with your starting goalie, mind it. Not that we need him just to shift for your #2C later as a discount from our side.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Trading Chimera and virtually promoting Eakin (GMGM can easily say smth like that to WashPost) will get us in position of "We Don't Need To Move Roster Players".

So Schultz's, Fehr's and Semin's price will be sky high. Like Suter, Parise and Pavelski at minimum.

Really Eakin/Sjogren should supply Chimmer with no problem, I agree.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
2012 2nd round pick.
I wouldn't mind that deal at all

Old
07-07-2011, 01:07 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

WHY the **** did washington sign hamrlik? do they plan on trading wideman? i dont understand, they have so much cap hit already, and still need to sign alzner.

id rather sign alzner than hamrlik.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:09 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just because Im bored and havent done it yet...how about a lineup with the existing roster. Not even going to get into Caps space and all that crap, but I am going to go ahead and trade Schultz for whatever just to make it simple.

Ovie - Backstrom - Fehr
Semin - Mojo - Knuble
Brouwer - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Haplern - Beagle
Sjogren/Hendricks

Hamrlik - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Wideman - Erskine
McNeill

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Yay? Nay?
Eh... I like this lineup. I assumed Fehr was moved for a pick. I also could see Beagle in place of Sjorgren.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Brouwer - Laich - Semin
Chimera - MaJo - Ward
Sjogren - Halpern - Hendricks
Beagle

Hamrlik - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Wideman -Schultz
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Old
07-07-2011, 01:15 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
WHY the **** did washington sign hamrlik? do they plan on trading wideman? i dont understand, they have so much cap hit already, and still need to sign alzner.

So would everyone. Fortunately, there is no reason it has to be an either/or proposition. Hamrlik replaced Hannan as the lone top-4 veteran on the team. Alzner will be re-signed and resume his rule as the trio of younger guys in the top-4. If needed, Jeff Schultz (and his $2.75m salary) will be moved, Wideman will be paired with Erskine in an above-average 3rd pairing, and we'll all live happily ever after.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Pure Speculation

Saw somewhere (twitter?) that McPhee was at Calgary airport to meet with Green and Backstrom...

WTF?!

Is he meeting with Alzner there to sign long-term extension?

Old
07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Saw somewhere (twitter?) that McPhee was at Calgary airport to meet with Green and Backstrom...

WTF?!

Green is holding a charity golf tournament in Calgary. I know Backstrom was playing. It's very possible/likely that GMGM is playing as well.

No story here.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

WTF?!

I saw this, but I'm guessing he is there to get Alzner resigned. He addressed the draft, UFAs, Brouwer, so most likely wrapping contracts up.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:37 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Green is holding a charity golf tournament in Calgary. I know Backstrom was playing. It's very possible/likely that GMGM is playing as well.

No story here.
That too and I have no doubt he is supporting the tournament for a good cause as well.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post

They'll sign both. Hamrlik was signed because Poti may be done for good, and they determined that Hannan either wanted a deal they couldn't give or didn't bring enough of what they wanted to choose him over Hamrlik (or a little of both).

Old
07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

No story here.
Well, after looking a bit more into it, CAA (Agency of JP Barry, Alzner's agent) has offices in Calgary. And Alzner was at the tournament (yikes).

So maybe this does have something to do with hammering out a contract.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Well, after looking a bit more into it, CAA (Agency of JP Barry, Alzner's agent) has offices in Calgary. And Alzner was at the tournament (yikes).

Ha, got that Ricky Fowler thing going on. I like it.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
txpd

Quote:

doesnt sound unusual. get as much done on one trip as possible. he can see green and backs and alzner and schultz and play golf and expense it to ted. why not? hell....william and kate are there too.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...zw1H_blog.html

Old
07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
A couple of things:

1. On the bolded part, I believe once a player accepts an offer sheet, it has to be filed at the league office. Then, everybody knows.

2. I think there's zero chance that Alzner accepts an offer sheet of 1.5 million, and even if he did, the Capitals would match that in a half-a-heartbeat.
Mind and addressing the less dumb part of my original post?

Quote:
If not 1.5, within the next compensation tier up. Either they get Alzner for a pick, or George has to presumably overpay him more than he was hoping. A competitive division rival could do this. Would you move a late first next year for Alzner at 3.0M for 5 years?

Old
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Mind and addressing the less dumb part of my original post?
I think 3.0 is only a 2nd, which makes it even more attractive. So I guess the answer to that is, many GM's probably would if they thought Alzner was worth the investment this early in his career. Then it comes down to whether Alzner is willing to take the risk as well.

It could be that he's decided he'll give the Caps x amount of days to make an offer he likes, and after that he'll seriously consider an offer sheet. It could be he's not getting the offer sheets he likes, or not getting them period. It could be he has no intention of signing an offer sheet at all.

I think no matter what, what happens happens. If Alzner can seriously garner a 3+ mil offer sheet then the Caps might never have had a chance of locking him up for significantly less, so you match it and move on.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Millhaus

Read between the lines here people. McPhee was clearly up there to personally snub Alzner by not inviting him to the airport lunch. And this was after giving him a poor table location at the team Xmas party, which reportedly ticked Alzner off. With Alzner obviously being so upset with the organization for making him play 2 seasons in Hershey this has the makings of a good old fashion blood feud between McPhee and Alzner. Let's just hope that it doesn't go the way of the Witt/McPhee RFA negotiations...

Old
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Read between the lines here people. McPhee was clearly up there to personally snub Alzner by not inviting him to the airport lunch. And this was after giving him a poor table location at the team Xmas party, which reportedly ticked Alzner off. With Alzner obviously being so upset with the organization for making him play 2 seasons in Hershey this has the makings of a good old fashion blood feud between McPhee and Alzner. Let's just hope that it doesn't go the way of the Witt/McPhee RFA negotiations...
Maybe he has an offer on the table for Green and he had to have one last heart-to-heart before deciding whether to trade him.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think 3.0 is only a 2nd, which makes it even more attractive. So I guess the answer to that is, many GM's probably would if they thought Alzner was worth the investment this early in his career. Then it comes down to whether Alzner is willing to take the risk as well.

It could be that he's decided he'll give the Caps x amount of days to make an offer he likes, and after that he'll seriously consider an offer sheet. It could be he's not getting the offer sheets he likes, or not getting them period. It could be he has no intention of signing an offer sheet at all.

I think no matter what, what happens happens. If Alzner can seriously garner a 3+ mil offer sheet then the Caps might never have had a chance of locking him up for significantly less, so you match it and move on.
Of course you match it. It isn't that far above what you would think they'd want to pay him and the compensation isn't close to his value. That is the very reason he is never going to get an offer sheet for such a low amount.

A GM isn't going to cause waves amongst his peers by giving a guy an offer sheet that is never going to result in him actually getting the player.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Maybe he has an offer on the table for Green and he had to have one last heart-to-heart before deciding whether to trade him.
Then why was Backstrom at the meeting? Major deal here people, Green and Backstrom for...?

I always had faith in Dash...

Old
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Then why was Backstrom at the meeting? Major deal here people, Green and Backstrom for...?

Duh, Backstrom was just a smokescreen so that the media wouldn't get wind of the details.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:23 AM
IceBjoern

Quote:

Backstrom can't be moved untill 2016 right?

Old
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Like OMG me too!

Old
07-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
Backstrom can't be moved untill 2016 right?
I don't remember but anyone can waive their NTC/NMC if they want to so I am sure that is one of the things McPhee was doing at the airport lunch, trying to convince Backstrom to waive it.

It's all coming together now...

Closed Thread