HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Rangers 20 in 20 for Valentenko

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568579

Old
07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

really hope he gets a fair shot. he brings alot of what we lack.

ive liked his game since he played for hamilton. mean sob and we could use that near hanks crease. his skating might need work, but stay close to home and im sure he could get by making the smart play and perhaps some bonus pp time to show off his cannon.

ktek too. i like both those guys. both look to me to be nhl dmen who can take care of business near hank.

im hoping we dont need to bring in a f/a dman. with erixon on board and one of these 2, i think were set.

as i said in another thread, these guys may both be ready. if they step up this year in camp, we might be looking to move a girardi or del zotto for some scoring in the not to distant future.

and we can forget about pashnin either.

good problem to have.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Rangers 20 in 20 for Valentenko

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568579
didnt they have one for Grachev? did they retcon it to remove it?

Old
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yeah, I guess they took it down once they traded him. It was definitely up there.

Old
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564937

Old
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Steven Fogarty will not be playing in the USHL(Chicago Steel) next season. His CHL rights are owned by Edmonton(WHL). The Rangers would prefer the WHL. Fogarty wants to play at Notre Dame. Compromise. Fogerty will play in Penticton(BCHL/Junior B)this season and then go to ND. Travis Zajac played in the BCHL before he was drafted in the 1st period by Jersey

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...t-to-bchl.html

Old
07-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Not certain how that constitutes a compromise, as the USHL is, in my opinion a better overall developmental league than the BCHL.

Go figure.

07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Agreed Fitzy. Not a fan of this decision.

It's just pain.
Old
07-11-2011, 09:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Steven Fogarty will not be playing in the USHL(Chicago Steel) next season. His CHL rights are owned by Edmonton(WHL). The Rangers would prefer the WHL. Fogarty wants to play at Notre Dame. Compromise. Fogerty will play in Penticton(BCHL/Junior B)this season and then go to ND. Travis Zajac played in the BCHL before he was drafted in the 1st period by Jersey

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...t-to-bchl.html
Just to clarify, the BCHL is Junior A. A step below the CHL which is Major Junior.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers don't want Fogarty playing in the USHL. Michael Barnett runs the college scouting. He selected Wheeler in 2004. Wheeler played in the USHL before going to Minnesota. The Rangers must have a good reason why they prefer in Penicton over the USHL. Zajac played at Salmon Arms before going to North Dakota.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Just to clarify, the BCHL is Junior A. A step below the CHL which is Major Junior.
I have also heard it described as junior B with the the CHL being the CHL. No big deal.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I have also heard it described as junior B with the the CHL being the CHL.
Well, how people describe it and what it actually is would be two different things.

Major Junior (CHL)
Junior A (CCHL, CJHL, BCHL, MJHL, a bunch of others)
Junior B (NSJBHL, Kootenay, Prairie, Heritage, etc)
Junior C

So, I guess it's "B-level," as in second level, but classified as Junior A in the hierarchy of Junior Hockey.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Leetch3

to me ushl vs bchl doesn't really matter...either way its basically a wasted year waiting for him to get to notre dame. if he decided to go to ND this fall instead of next year, or decided to play in WHL instead then it would be news...but this doesn't really make a big difference imo

Old
07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
ecemleafs

they really should convince him to go to the WHL. if he wants to be a pro hockey player he shouldnt be playing in the USHL or BCHL after getting drafted.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
they really should convince him to go to the WHL. if he wants to be a pro hockey player he shouldnt be playing in the USHL or BCHL after getting drafted.
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that playing major junior, which is technically a pro league, would result in losing his amateur status and thus make him ineligible for the NCAAs.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that playing major junior, which is technically a pro league, would result in losing his amateur status and thus make him ineligible for the NCAAs.
Correct. I think he meant go to, and stay in the WHL.

Old
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Gotta trust NYR management on this one. Interesting that a US born player will go the BCHL route instead of sticking in the USHL.

Old
07-11-2011, 01:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Turns out Fogarty isn't the only Minnesota player going to BC

Quote:
Center Steve Fogarty is joining the parade of Minnesota players going to Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League.

With Fogarty's commitment, the Vees will have seven Minnesotans on their roster. Fogarty was drafted in the third round of the NHL draft last month by the New York Rangers, He was the No. 72 pick overall.

Mario Lucia, who would have been a senior at Wayzata, also recently committed to the Vees. He was the No. 60 overall pick, taken late in the second round by the Wild.

Also going to Penticton are the Reilly brothers, twin forwards Connor and Ryan and younger brother Mike, a defenseman. All of them played at Holy Angels at one time.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/125344698.html

Quote:
With Fogarty, Mario Lucia, and Mike Reilly; the Vees have now committed 3 of the top 4 drafted high-school players from the State of Minnesota, and three of the top 100 draft picks selected. This impressive feat that certainly will have the USHL abuzz as all three players had the option to play in the top American junior league, but chose Penticton
http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/201...kanagan-bound/

Old
07-11-2011, 01:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Well, how people describe it and what it actually is would be two different things.

Major Junior (CHL)
Junior A (CCHL, CJHL, BCHL, MJHL, a bunch of others)
Junior B (NSJBHL, Kootenay, Prairie, Heritage, etc)
Junior C

So, I guess it's "B-level," as in second level, but classified as Junior A in the hierarchy of Junior Hockey.
The origins of the Junior A is Junior B. The junior B teams got together to form junior A teams. I didn't express my original point . They call themselves whatever they want.

Quote:
The British Columbia Hockey League is widely known as one of the top junior hockey organizations in North America, but it sprung from humble beginnings. In 1961, the owners of four Junior B squads -- the Kamloops Rockets, Kelowna Buckaroos, Penticton Junior Vees and Vernon Junior Canadians -- met in a Vernon hotel. That night, Canadians' owner Bill Brown persuaded his three colleagues to create the province's first ever Junior A hockey league. The Okanagan-Mainline Junior Hockey League played its first games in the fall of 1961 and Brown served for two years as the league's first President. Kamloops and Kelowna dominated the first five years of the new OJHL, occupying the top two places in the standings and meeting in the championship final every season. It wasn't until 1967, when the Penticton Broncos won the title in their third year of operation, that a different champion was born. "In our first year (1967/1968), our budget was $15,000.00," former Vernon owner Vern Dye recalls. "We traveled by car to road games, and we did pay the players a bit. They got $20.00 to $40.00 a month, and room and board. Back then, skates cost $50.00 and sticks were $1.10
http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/custom_pa...13&pageID=3689

Quote:
The Ontario Junior Hockey League is a Junior A ice hockey league under the supervision of the Ontario Hockey Association and the Canadian Junior Hockey League. The league dates back to 1954 as the Central Junior B Hockey League. In 1993, the Central Junior B Hockey League was promoted to the Junior A level and renamed the Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League. In 2009, the league was dissolved by the Ontario Hockey Association and split into two leagues: the Central Canadian Hockey League and the Ontario Junior A Hockey League. By early 2010, both sides had gotten over their differences and merged to reform the Ontario Junior Hockey League was well as agreeing to a retraction by 5-teams.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario..._Hockey_League

Old
07-11-2011, 01:53 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
I also would prefer Fogarty went the WHL route. But we all know this kid is a long term project. A year in the BCHL, then depending on development curve he could spend anywhere from 2-4 years at ND.

Most recently Kyle Turris was draft 3rd overall out of the BCHL after a huge year, I believe he is the highest drafted player in the modern era out of Junior A/B. He then spent one year at UW in which he was a ppg player. Phoenix signed him that year and turned him pro too early, he needed another year at Wisconsin. He is just starting to show flashes of his original potential.

I think patience will be key with Fogarty, and it sounds like he will be on a team with some pretty good prospects, then we will see what happens in the future at ND.

It's not the Dub but hopefully it all works out for the best.

Old
07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Correct. I think he meant go to, and stay in the WHL.
this. if he could play in ND this year with a big role than i'd say do that without a doubt. but he will be delaying progression IMO playing in the USHL after his draft year and who knows what the situation will be at ND in a year.

Old
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
ocarina

Eh, I don't see the big deal of Fogarty not going to ND right away. The BCHL is still an excellent league in it's own right, and everything I've read on him sounds like he'll be a long term project. No need to "fast track" him.

I believe ND made Isles' prospect Anders Lee delay going to college, and he's put up big time numbers. I don't see why Fogarty can't do the same.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Kid is a big time project, and for as good a league as it is coming straight out of MN high school to D1 is no small feat. Also the BCHL is definitely a step in the right direction competition-wise IMO; not a big one sure, but not a step backwards either. Look at the success Anders Lee had in delaying a year (EDIT should have finished reading the thread, good call ocarina).

Not sure what Notre Dame's depth chart is like either; if he's going to be in the press box I would much rather have him getting good minutes in the BCHL.

07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
This kid is a project as some have mentioned and we have plenty of talented youth already on the team or waiting in the immediate wings. No harm done sending this kid to the BCHL where he is probably gonna get top 6 minutes instead of sitting scratched or on 4th line duty at ND. Fine with me...new league/team equals new opportunities to learn more which is what we are looking for.

Old
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I have no issue with him playing a year of junior hockey. Just would have rather seen him in the USHL.

Closed Thread