HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres re-sign Colin Stuart (1 year, $525k, two-way)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM
  #1
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Sabres re-sign Colin Stuart (1 year, $525k, two-way)

Quote:
renhockey #sabres Colin Stuart 1 year / 525 000 (2 way)
http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/88752717455036416

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
  #2
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You are Twitter. Jack Dorsey?

Nice find. Loving me some Amerks right now

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
  #3
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Posted over on the amerks board... Was coming here next.

Solid 2 way player.

Anyone know who he skated with last year in Portland?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
  #4
mechaphil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BFLO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Colin Stuart re-signs with Sabres

Per Renaud Lavoie, one year/two way/$525K

http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey/stat...52717455036416

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
  #5
mechaphil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BFLO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Aw dammit - I been scooped

I like the signing. He'll be good for the Amerks.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
  #6
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
A little puzzled. The Amerks desperately lack proven scoring and they sign up a 3rd line winger. I'm sure he's a solid player but there's really no scoring on the team. I hope some additional forward signing are made, with offense in mind.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  #7
mechaphil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BFLO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
A little puzzled. The Amerks desperately lack proven scoring and they sign up a 3rd line winger. I'm sure he's a solid player but there's really no scoring on the team. I hope some additional forward signing are made, with offense in mind.
Scoring, you say...

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
  #8
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,576
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Scoring, you say...
They'll have Kotalik to anchor the forwards down there.


Kotalik, Adam, Kassian, Foligno......

I would imagine that there's another "scoring" signing coming for Rochester.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
  #9
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You are Twitter. Jack Dorsey?

Nice find. Loving me some Amerks right now
I had to look up who that was.

I just follow a lot of NHL people and refresh my timeline often, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
A little puzzled. The Amerks desperately lack proven scoring and they sign up a 3rd line winger. I'm sure he's a solid player but there's really no scoring on the team. I hope some additional forward signing are made, with offense in mind.
He was 2nd in LW scoring on the Pirates last season and 4th in winger scoring behind Mancari, Parrish, and the recently signed Whitmore.

I can see why people didn't want to go back to Rochester now - nothing the Sabres do is ever good enough it seems.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
  #10
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I had to look up who that was.

I just follow a lot of NHL people and refresh my timeline often, I guess.

He was 2nd in LW scoring on the Pirates last season and 4th in winger scoring behind Mancari, Parrish, and the recently signed Whitmore.

I can see why people didn't want to go back to Rochester now - nothing the Sabres do is ever good enough it seems.
You're looking at a team that lost 4 of its top 5 scorers. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect/ask for some scoring help to be addressed in free agency. With that said, I do think they will eventually. I'm sure Darcy is aware of the offense lost from Mancari and Parrish and bring in help in due time.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
  #11
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Good character guy. They need vets like him around to keep Kassian on the straight and narrow, guys who set an example on and off the ice. It wouldn't surprise to see Ellis back and Kotalik NOT sent to Rochester for those reasons as well.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:55 PM
  #12
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Good character guy. They need vets like him around to keep Kassian on the straight and narrow, guys who set an example on and off the ice. It wouldn't surprise to see Ellis back and Kotalik NOT sent to Rochester for those reasons as well.
I don't expect Kotalik in Rochester at all, or if he is, for a short period of time. Just can't see the guy spending an entire season in the AHL. He'll eventually go to Europe.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
  #13
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I don't expect Kotalik in Rochester at all, or if he is, for a short period of time. Just can't see the guy spending an entire season in the AHL. He'll eventually go to Europe.
I don't see him there at all. I expect him off to a sub cap-floor team as a way for them to get up to it. And while I don't have any issue with Al from his first turn here, it's clear he's not even the player he was then and that his laid-back attitude isn't something to set the tone for an impressionable youngster or two.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
  #14
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't see him there at all. I expect him off to a sub cap-floor team as a way for them to get up to it. And while I don't have any issue with Al from his first turn here, it's clear he's not even the player he was then and that his laid-back attitude isn't something to set the tone for an impressionable youngster or two.
The guy was a lazy, uninspired player in his first stint in Rochester. It certainly wouldn't get any better this time around.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
  #15
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The guy was a lazy, uninspired player in his first stint in Rochester. It certainly wouldn't get any better this time around.
Pretty much the complete opposite of Stuart, who has had to work and work hard for everything he's ever gotten.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
  #16
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Pretty much the complete opposite of Stuart, who has had to work and work hard for everything he's ever gotten.
Graham Mink seems like a Sabres organization type player. Great teammate when he was here before, took pride in playing at the AHL level and helping out the prospects. Good community guy and would fill the need for another top 6 winger.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
  #17
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
In regards to Al, I thought there was an article out there where the Calgary AHL affiliate's HC said Kotalik came in with a great attitude and worked hard.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
  #18
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,218
vCash: 326
Rochester is going to be a defensive-oriented team that relies on its defense, goaltending, and scoring-by-committee to win games. It's not always going to be pretty. I don't think they'll bring in a point/game AHL player. Rather, they'll continue to sign 50ish point players, and rely on the defensemen to continue their offensive progression:

Brennan: 15 G, 24 A, 39 pts in 72 games
Schiestel: On pace for approximately 10 G, 40+ pts before his injury
Crawford: 31 pts in his rookie season despite not being on top PP unit
McNabb: 22 G, 50 A, 72 pts in WHL last season

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
  #19
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Rochester is going to be a defensive-oriented team that relies on its defense, goaltending, and scoring-by-committee to win games. It's not always going to be pretty. I don't think they'll bring in a point/game AHL player. Rather, they'll continue to sign 50ish point players, and rely on the defensemen to continue their offensive progression:

Brennan: 15 G, 24 A, 39 pts in 72 games
Schiestel: On pace for approximately 10 G, 40+ pts before his injury
Crawford: 31 pts in his rookie season despite not being on top PP unit
McNabb: 22 G, 50 A, 72 pts in WHL last season
Pretty close to a carbon copy of the big club -- not a lot of "star" power but deep and a good bit of O from the backend.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:17 PM
  #20
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Pretty close to a carbon copy of the big club -- not a lot of "star" power but deep and a good bit of O from the backend.
Disagree. Sabres have 5 potential 30 goal scorers (Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Boyes). Amerks don't have that punch up front.

They'll win on defense mostly. Not as exciting, but it'll work.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
  #21
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Disagree. Sabres have 5 potential 30 goal scorers (Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Boyes). Amerks don't have that punch up front.

They'll win on defense mostly. Not as exciting, but it'll work.
The Sabres don't have the "name" attraction stars at forward. They have a lot of offensively capable players, but it's not like their lineup is the poster-child for name recognition anywhere outside of WNY.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:15 AM
  #22
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,333
vCash: 500
Leader in the clubhouse for captain of Rochester?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
  #23
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Leader in the clubhouse for captain of Rochester?
Could be. Depends on Ellis I suspect.

Sabres finally gave a press release for the signing this morning.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
  #24
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Could be. Depends on Ellis I suspect.

Sabres finally gave a press release for the signing this morning.
I think it more likely will have to do with if Chris Taylor is brought back. He's certainly captain if the Sabres sign him.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.