HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former captain Halpern returns to Capitals 1 yr/825k

Old
07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I am liking this signing a lot. EDIT. But he held up last year in the long and grueling RS. And I think he is inspired to be here, and should exceed his expectations relative to his contract and maybe more.

Being a former captain, is exactly what the doctor ordered for our team. Ovi needs help. he is the face of our team, not a vocal locker room rah rah type of captain. Knuble is an old bayonet toting foot soldier, not a vocal guy either, IMHO. Arnott was brought in under the directive to George to provide that type of leadership, and I hope Halpern doesnt have to be asked to do it. Bruce dropping F bombs only goes so far, while all the players have their heads down. I think there is a vocal leader type of vaccum on our team, which I think George saw as well. These 4th line captain types lead on the ice in a different way than an elite scorer in a slump can.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
jeff halpern was the caps captain. you'd think he has some leadership going on. as to his ten goal seasons, 11 last season in montreal, 20 as recent as 07-08, and 7 seasons of ten plus or more. as far as i can tell there has been one season where he played a full season(76 games/8 goals) and didnt get 10 goals. three other seasons he was under 10 , but those seasons were all cut short by a knee injury or the recovery from the surgery and in his games played his pace was over a ten goal pace.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Halpy's actually only had 1 season out of the last 5 in which he played fewer than 70 games (he played 52 in 2008-09). My initial impression was that he'd missed a lot of time as well, but that turns out not to be the case.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:42 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Halpy's actually only had 1 season out of the last 5 in which he played fewer than 70 games (he played 52 in 2008-09). My initial impression was that he'd missed a lot of time as well, but that turns out not to be the case.
Most of his injuries lately have been late in the season, in the playoffs, or after the season (Worlds), no? Not exactly perfect health, but if he keeps it together during the season then that's just fine.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am liking this signing a lot. Sure has missed a ton of games in the past 5 years..
not to nitpik you, rh. if you look again, he has only missed significant games in one season due to one injury. 72 games montreal. 71 games bolts and kings. 52 games tampa(knee surgery recovery at the start of the season), 73 games dallas and tampa knee injury. 76 games his first season in dallas.

so thats 70+ games in 4 of 5 seasons. as he was traded three times during those seasons, its easy to read the page as he missed a bunch of games.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
halpy has one really bad knee injury right at the tail end of the season where he was traded to tampa. that was a 20 goal season for him. otherwise he's been healthy.
he also missed a game or two because rick tocchett suspended him for having dinner with his sister in nashville. i recall that being remarkably stupid on tocchett's part.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not to nitpik you, rh. if you look again, he has only missed significant games in one season due to one injury. 72 games montreal. 71 games bolts and kings. 52 games tampa(knee surgery recovery at the start of the season), 73 games dallas and tampa knee injury. 76 games his first season in dallas.

so thats 70+ games in 4 of 5 seasons. as he was traded three times during those seasons, its easy to read the page as he missed a bunch of games.
Oh yeah, i totally read it wrong.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:02 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I really like this signing. Not sure I'd mentioned that yet.

Between Halpern, Brouwer, and Ward...I'm pretty happy with all three deals and the type of players each of these guys are.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
txpd

halpern has always been a better playoff player. besides, nobody hates the penguins like halpern.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Between Halpern, Brouwer, and Ward...I'm pretty happy with all three deals and the type of players each of these guys are.
North American.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
halpern has always been a better playoff player.
As evidenced by all those playoff series wins he's been involved in...

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:15 PM
txpd

so, a team loses and a player that consistantly raises his game losses all credit for that?

Old
07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
so, a team loses and a player that consistantly raises his game losses all credit for that?
Points per game - Career
0.432 - Regular Season
0.382 - Playoffs

Playoff W/L record: 10-24
Playoff series record: 0-6

Pointless series: 1
<= 1 point series: 3
> 1 point series: 3

I'm not saying he's responsible for his team losing in the playoffs. I'm not even saying that it's a bad signing (on the contrary, I am all for this signing). But to say that he raises his game in the playoffs when it's not readily apparent that he does is very misleading. When a player has never won a playoff series, loses over 70% of the playoff games he plays in, and has a career playoff scoring rate that is over 10% lower than his career scoring rate, you need to provide some evidence that he's the playoff stud you're making him out to be.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote