HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

Old
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
damons

vCash: 500
Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

What do you guys think? Will this be Sean Avery's last season as a NY Ranger?

damons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Probably....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
ogie

you mean this was his last season. I honestly do not see where Avery fits in this lineup this year. Prust brings everything that Avery does minus taking stupid penalties.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

He's in a contract year, playing for his NHL life. Under Renney Avery would be on the top line with Gabby and play like he deserved it. Under Torts I never saw where Avery fit in on this team.

Still, he deserves a shot at that top line LW spot and I think he could grab it.

EDIT - I believe Spector pointed out today that Avery's 6 assists to Gaborik last season were the most of anyone on the squad.

20 total even strength assists last season tied him for fourth on the Rangers in that category.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
bernmeister

Avery might start but may well not finish on this year's roster...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I am pretty sure he wants to stay in NY, so contract year and all...I could see him accepting less to stick around some. If not...maybe back to LA?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I am pretty sure he wants to stay in NY, so contract year and all...I could see him accepting less to stick around some. If not...maybe back to LA?
Or perhaps the Islanders would want our sloppy seconds?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
He's in a contract year, playing for his NHL life. Under Renney Avery would be on the top line with Gabby and play like he deserved it. Under Torts I never saw where Avery fit in on this team.

Still, he deserves a shot at that top line LW spot and I think he could grab it.

EDIT - I believe Spector pointed out today that Avery's 6 assists to Gaborik last season were the most of anyone on the squad.

20 total even strength assists last season tied him for fourth on the Rangers in that category.
Gross had a good blog update from yesterday. Feds played on a line with Richards in TB at times. If anyone should play on the first line aside from the typical candidates, I'd like to see Feds in that role. Would allow Rupp - Boyle - Prust to play together as the 4th line. Avery maybe would slot somewhere on the 3rd line... Feds would bring more defensive responsibility to that line and he would also stay onside more often too.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I wouldn't be shocked if he retired.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

This is his last year in the Rangers organization.

I can't see the Rangers dumping him in a trade.

He'll either be scratched for about half the games or eventually demoted. There's barely any room for him as it is.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
nyrleetch

He will score the winning goal in the stanley cup and retire!

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if he retired.
I would be, very much.

Unless he accepts a cut of 1M, yes his stay in NY is over... and his NHL career is on hiatus, if not over, for at least a season.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I think we all know that Alexandre Burrows is not a first line player but we all saw how well he succeeded and complimented The Sedins on the top line. I think Avery can do the same thing with Richards and Gaborik, for 2 reasons. He has great chemistry with Gabby and is really good friends with Richards. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery up there, the energy he brings is awesome!

That said, I'd love to give Avery a shot at top line and if it works out well, re-sign him. If not, let him go. But I really want to see Avery-Richards-Gaborik

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I think we all know that Alexandre Burrows is not a first line player but we all saw how well he succeeded and complimented The Sedins on the top line. I think Avery can do the same thing with Richards and Gaborik, for 2 reasons. He has great chemistry with Gabby and is really good friends with Richards. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery up there, the energy he brings is awesome!

That said, I'd love to give Avery a shot at top line and if it works out well, re-sign him. If not, let him go. But I really want to see Avery-Richards-Gaborik
I don't know if I would label it great chemistry. They had a small handful of good games together and then more games where they didn't do much of anything... It bothers me that he is so frequently off-sides and gets so many stoppages from shooting the puck into the goaltender's glove from the blueline.... Gaborik is not very good defensively... I can't say much about Richards' defensive game having him been out West the last few years... But Feds is much more defensively responsible then Avery.... Avery has not consistently brought his A-game for awhile now... Not confident he's 1st line fodder for more than a couple games at a time.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Avery DESERVES a shot at that top line spot?

Avery who scored 3 goals and 24 points last season deserves a shot at that spot over guys like..

Dubinsky 24/30/54
or even Fedotenko who played on a line with Brad Richards during their cup winning year, and who still had 10/15/25 in 10 fewer games than Avery while mostly playing on the 4th line.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't know if I would label it great chemistry. They had a small handful of good games together and then more games where they didn't do much of anything... It bothers me that he is so frequently off-sides and gets so many stoppages from shooting the puck into the goaltender's glove from the blueline.... Gaborik is not very good defensively... I can't say much about Richards' defensive game having him been out West the last few years... But Feds is much more defensively responsible then Avery.... Avery has not consistently brought his A-game for awhile now... Not confident he's 1st line fodder for more than a couple games at a time.
Avery had 6 assists to Gaborik this year, leading the team in that category. He also had great chemistry with him in 09-10. And the whole spiel about defense, I don't buy into it. With our great defense and Hank in net, I don't think one line, especially a top line that can score a ******** of goals is going to hurt us because they aren't as good on defense as other players.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
mike14

I wouldn't call going off-side every 2nd shift 'good chemistry'.

I think that Dubi, Feds and WW would play on the top lines above Avery, and if you add in younger players on cheaper contracts, I can't really see where he fits.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM
In The Flesh

I'd like to see Avery on the top line, I don't think Torts will give him much of a shot at it though. I also would like to see Feds there as well.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Avery DESERVES a shot at that top line spot?

Avery who scored 3 goals and 24 points last season deserves a shot at that spot over guys like..

Dubinsky 24/30/54
or even Fedotenko who played on a line with Brad Richards during their cup winning year, and who still had 10/15/25 in 10 fewer games than Avery while mostly playing on the 4th line.
Avery got just over 10 minutes a game on average last season, and a lot of games he had like 4 - 5 minutes of ice time. We all saw what he could do in the playoffs when Torts let him be Avery. Give Avery more time and put him on that 1st line, and it can work

Old
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Avery had 6 assists to Gaborik this year, leading the team in that category. He also had great chemistry with him in 09-10. And the whole spiel about defense, I don't buy into it. With our great defense and Hank in net, I don't think one line, especially a top line that can score a ******** of goals is going to hurt us because they aren't as good on defense as other players.
It's not "great chemistry"... Great chemistry is Boyle/Prust/Feds line... Remember when Avery and Gaborik had that solid game against the Islanders? Well the next 3 games they did squat and Torts broke them up.... Avery is not good defensively, there's no disputing that. How many times did we see him take the puck in the defensive zone, and instead of going forward or chipping it out, he took it backwards and then there was scrambling to get the puck out. There's also the issue of him being off-sides... How many times did we see him off-sides last year? Leaps and bounds more than anybody else.

Quote:
Avery got just over 10 minutes a game on average last season, and a lot of games he had like 4 - 5 minutes of ice time. We all saw what he could do in the playoffs when Torts let him be Avery. Give Avery more time and put him on that 1st line, and it can work
The issue is that Avery has never been a 1st line player for any team. His shooting percentage has declined drastically over the last 3 seasons... It was at 2-3% last season.... That's not a player you want playing with your best playmaker on your top line...

Old
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
He will score the winning goal in the stanley cup and retire!
This would make a lot of people out there very, very angry lol.

bettercallstaal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I wouldn't call going off-side every 2nd shift 'good chemistry'.I think that Dubi, Feds and WW would play on the top lines above Avery, and if you add in younger players on cheaper contracts, I can't really see where he fits.
This.

I find it painful to watch. Either he needs eye surgery, or he simply do not understand that off-side rule.
I think he is a fun player to watch (when he is not in off-side), but I do not want him on this team in the future

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
egelband

I would like to see Avery get a shot to play regularly. He can be pretty useful and even - at times - a 'force'. At his best, I love him on the Rangers. If he fails, so be it. His contract is not a big burden

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It's not "great chemistry"... Great chemistry is Boyle/Prust/Feds line... Remember when Avery and Gaborik had that solid game against the Islanders? Well the next 3 games they did squat and Torts broke them up.... Avery is not good defensively, there's no disputing that. How many times did we see him take the puck in the defensive zone, and instead of going forward or chipping it out, he took it backwards and then there was scrambling to get the puck out. There's also the issue of him being off-sides... How many times did we see him off-sides last year? Leaps and bounds more than anybody else.

The issue is that Avery has never been a 1st line player for any team. His shooting percentage has declined drastically over the last 3 seasons... It was at 2-3% last season.... That's not a player you want playing with your best playmaker on your top line...
what he said.

i dont have a problem with Avery being on the top line every now and again when we need to shake things up. but if Sean Avery is our top line left wing, we should start our draft thread for next season right now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He's done after this year.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote