HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Shea planted the story to mess with Drew Doughty's head. The day after double D signs, Shea will get a better deal done with the Preds.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Pure unwarranted speculation on your part. How can you say what weber would or wouldnt have considered? Whether you meant to or nor you post comes across as stating that the reason weber isnt already extended is because poile sat around with his thumb up his hindquarters. I seriously doubt that poile didnt try to extend shea last fall. Its speculation as to why it didnt happen, but i seem to remember it being discussed quite a bit
Pure speculation on my part? Yes, and I neglected to be clear about that as I did in the off-season thread. Sorry about that.

Unwarranted? No. I've covered this team enough to know that Poile exhibits the speed of atoms at absolute zero.

Did Poile try to extend Weber last season? Yes, he made statements to indicate plans to do so (particularly around training camp). Was he especially aggressive about it? His history makes me comfortable in making rational speculation that he wasn't.

All that said, it could have been entirely Weber's decision as to why he wasn't extended (and I don't blame him). It doesn't change the fact that Poile's history opens himself up to warranted speculation.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

There was almost zero incentive for Weber to sign a deal 1 year early. And in hindsight, there was literally zero incentive considering the year he just had.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
There was almost zero incentive for Weber to sign a deal 1 year early. And in hindsight, there was literally zero incentive considering the year he just had.
I think you could carry that logic further and say there's a similar volume of incentive for a prized impending UFA to sign a deal before July 1st, yet players do it all the time. If the price is right and the player doesn't want to take the risk of injury/subpar performance in the final year, he would sign a year early.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

What's the perception of Suter amongst the Preds brass? I think signing him might be the bigger challenge. For some reason he plays second fiddle to Weber and I don't think it's warrented.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

PA - Remember that Weber struggled a bit early on with consistency. You could tell he was pressing, and this was before Suter got hurt. Suter went down, and we saw a pressing Weber w/o his dynamite partner. If he had continued his play of October early November into December and January, we most definitely would have benefited by waiting. As it stands, Weber turned up the intensity and consistency from late November on, and he never looked back. He grew into a captain, and he came to define Predators hockey. He easily tacked on an additional 1.5 million dollars in salary annually. Then again, anyone that watched the Olympics knew that Weber was arguably Canada's best defenseman (and for the record, Suter was probably the best defenseman in the entire tournament.)

07-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I think you could carry that logic further and say there's a similar volume of incentive for a prized impending UFA to sign a deal before July 1st, yet players do it all the time. If the price is right and the player doesn't want to take the risk of injury/subpar performance in the final year, he would sign a year early.
I wouldn't go that far. The negotiation tactics between UFAs and RFAs are very different. Very rarely do RFAs, in Weber's situation, sign a year early. I can't even think of one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
PA - Remember that Weber struggled a bit early on with consistency. You could tell he was pressing, and this was before Suter got hurt. Suter went down, and we saw a pressing Weber w/o his dynamite partner. If he had continued his play of October early November into December and January, we most definitely would have benefited by waiting. As it stands, Weber turned up the intensity and consistency from late November on, and he never looked back. He grew into a captain, and he came to define Predators hockey. He easily tacked on an additional 1.5 million dollars in salary annually. Then again, anyone that watched the Olympics knew that Weber was arguably Canada's best defenseman (and for the record, Suter was probably the best defenseman in the entire tournament.)
Sure, I suppose that could have happened, but all players go through ups and downs throughout the course of a season. Even if Weber had a downright terrible year, he'd still be getting $4.5M minimum and most likely a lot more than that.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Several people on here have stated their preference for a long/longer term deal in the face of a 5-year option. I think certain people would like to see an 8-10 year deal because it shows a commitment to future success.
Isn't there a limit on length of a contract that can be insured? Thought maybe 6 years is the max? If so, particularly when we just got stung by Lombardi's uninsured contract, can Poile really sign Weber beyond 6 years anyway?

Weber can certainly get $7mil, 5yr, $35mil total deal and feel good about it. Lets Poile have a bit of room to sign Rinne to a shorter deal next year, and slot Suter as necessary. You know Poile likes these things to be all staggered out. Seems to me that's gotta' be where we wanna' be. Plus, lets Weber sign one more really good contract before hitting his decline years. Heck, after that on he, too, might become dorian gray, er, nik lidstrom, and just keeps signing one year deals forever.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I didn't think about this until just now, but do you guys think Weber could be looking for a short-term contract knowing that CBA negotiations will be happening soon? Maybe he is wanting to get a short deal done so that he can see what happens there.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I didn't think about this until just now, but do you guys think Weber could be looking for a short-term contract knowing that CBA negotiations will be happening soon? Maybe he is wanting to get a short deal done so that he can see what happens there.
Not sure I follow. Are you saying he wants to see what a new CBA would mean to Nashville or hoping that the new CBA could mean more money for him?

Old
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

5 years used to be a long term deal before the deals meant to barely fit within the cap. I can deal with giving Shea a five year deal ... less than that puts him back on the market a bit too quickly for my tastes.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Not sure I follow. Are you saying he wants to see what a new CBA would mean to Nashville or hoping that the new CBA could mean more money for him?
I honestly didn't think it out too much. I just thought it could be a possibility. I'm not much on CBA negotiations, so I don't know how it could affect him/the team/a new contract. It was just an idea that I'm sure someone will shoot down

Old
07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Pure unwarranted speculation on your part....
HOW DARE SOMEONE SPECULATE ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD!!

Old
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
HOW DARE SOMEONE SPECULATE ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD!!
Well Shea, since you're on the message boards, why don't you tell us what's going on so we don't have to speculate?

Old
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Well Shea, since you're on the message boards, why don't you tell us what's going on so we don't have to speculate?
And how much its going to take to get the beard to sign.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Shea Weber

I have already stated in a different thread that I will sign a 4-5 year deal in the next few weeks. Beard will come back near the end of the season once again.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I have already stated in a different thread that I will sign a 4-5 year deal in the next few weeks. Beard will come back near the end of the season once again.
Youd better hurry then. If you let this go to arbitration itll be a one or two year deal, max.

And for the record i have no problem with sepeculation, unless its stated like its fact.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Shea Weber

What's the date for Shea's arbitration?

I keep hearing that history shows the deal will get done a day or two before the hearing.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:26 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
definitely a possibility IMO. I mean if shea has the chance to sign another deal when the old CBA runs out to make an extra 1-3 mil, and not cripple our budget, it would make sense that he wants a shorter deal.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
definitely a possibility IMO. I mean if shea has the chance to sign another deal when the old CBA runs out to make an extra 1-3 mil, and not cripple our budget, it would make sense that he wants a shorter deal.
psst ... you might want to change your HFName, considering he's no longer on the team, or anything

Old
07-07-2011, 01:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
psst ... you might want to change your HFName, considering he's no longer on the team, or anything
May I suggest "I Berg Fors You"

Old
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
haha ill be keeping for a while longer, already had it changed this year. hurts me knowing Goc wont be lacing em up with us next year.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
alexmanu

I have a feeling that he will sign a 5 year deal, I just got the feeling when I woke up this morning strange.......

Old
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Youd better hurry then. If you let this go to arbitration itll be a one or two year deal, max.

And for the record i have no problem with sepeculation, unless its stated like its fact.
It's doubly bad given that I cover the team. I'm glad PV82 called me on that.

Of course, I did have to give a little back on the unwarrantedness of it (I love inventing words).

Old
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Do people consider a five year deal short? I'd be perfectly fine with Weber signing for five years. Anything under 3-4 years would be worriesome I think.

Closed Thread