HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some Training Camp Info

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Whoa... why are we all getting the idea this article alludes to Straka as a center... it never says that, and he really can't play center.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:51 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Whoa... why are we all getting the idea this article alludes to Straka as a center... it never says that, and he really can't play center.
Well Straka had been pretty much been playing center exclusively over the past 3 years.

Old
09-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
He have always played center for the Czech Rep in international tournaments. But they use David Vyborny as center too.

Old
09-14-2005, 12:23 PM
eco's bones

Lundmark needs to play on the wing. I agree with Jas in that I think we have 2 or 3 waves of kids coming in the next couple years. Some will make it and some won't and some might need a second or a third chance. Maybe it's some of the players in the initial wave like Moore, Giroux or Lampman they don't have enough faith in. I think we brought in at least one too many vets at forward and on D and those 3 seem to be the most likely victims of those signings.

As far as Sather he needs to stay away or someone needs to keep him away from reporters and microphones. He has no personality regarding how to deal with Ranger fans and I'm not surprised at all that he would start bleating about the Stanley cup. Renney and Maloney are much better suited for public relations and anything else to do with the team.

Last edited by eco's bones: 09-14-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add two words
Old
09-14-2005, 12:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Lundmark needs to play on the wing.
Then why did the current braintrust have him playing exclusively at center, while in Hartford? Why have Renney & Maloney swear up and down that he will be a center for the team?

Old
09-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
where did you hear that they were looking at Straka as a center?
I think he was centering Lundmark, unless I mis-read that.

Now it's not a given that he is going to stay at center, but I was hoping for at least two center spots to be open to win.

Not the end of the world, but not the first sign i want to see out of a "Rebuilding" team.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Well Straka had been pretty much been playing center exclusively over the past 3 years.
actually from all accounts, he's been playing LW for the most part lately. Like someone said, maybe he's played some more center recently for the CR, but I think he was playing LW for the pens, kings, etc

Old
09-14-2005, 01:20 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

The way things were setting up even before camp I figured the only way Lundmark was going to play was on the left side... I assumed no way were they going to concentrate all the experienced offense on one line, so Straka would be #2 center and Rucchin #3. I still prefer that scenario... if Rucchin is #2 center and Lundmark is on his right and Rucinsky his left, I don't think there's any place for Balej... no way he's suited for 3rd line work. I'd prefer to see Lundmark move to left on the 2nd line so Balej can move up to 2nd RW. Rucinsky plays on the 3rd where he belongs if this were a better team anyway. And I'm betting (expecting laughter as I don't see the guy's name anywhere) that 3rd line RW is Jason Ward (if I'm wrong, feel free to humiliate me severely...after camp breaks). And if you really want proper rebuilding, you don't want real prospects on the 4th line in NY getting 4 minutes a game, so we almost certainly get Strudwick-Betts-Ortmayer there.

What's getting clearer to me now, belatedly, is there will be VERY few youngsters playing at forward unless some truly remarkable things happen at camp... Jessiman, Dawes, Moore, Prucha, even Murray or Hollweg... fageddaboudit....

Last edited by BringBackNeilSmith: 09-14-2005 at 01:27 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Then why did the current braintrust have him playing exclusively at center, while in Hartford? Why have Renney & Maloney swear up and down that he will be a center for the team?
Hartford is one thing and the NHL is another. And Renney & Maloney have said a lot of things and not all of what's happening now squares with what they said then. Lundmark is not center material (my opinion). Not good on faceoffs and to me he would have issues regarding the defensive part of his game and in overall physical strength. Anyway---he needs to play with creative players more than he needs to play center.

Old
09-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think he was centering Lundmark, unless I mis-read that.
"Jamie Lundmark also saw some time on wing opposite Martin Rucinsky (with Steve Rucchin centering)"

I think they've changed that, I think it used to say Jamie Lundmark also saw some time on wing opposite Martin Straka. either way, I think Straka is playing LW

Old
09-14-2005, 03:12 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Straka is not suited to be a center. I know he's played as one before, but he's a little small and I'd imagine he's an amusing target for goons when playing at center. I'd like to see Straka-Nylander-Balej at some point... it'd be a lot like Hlavac-Nedved-Dvorak, soft but very useful to generate some finesse 2nd line offense.

Old
09-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
"Jamie Lundmark also saw some time on wing opposite Martin Rucinsky (with Steve Rucchin centering)"

I think they've changed that, I think it used to say Jamie Lundmark also saw some time on wing opposite Martin Straka. either way, I think Straka is playing LW
Could be, I heard Rucchin today but I could've sworn I saw Straka before that.

Old
09-14-2005, 03:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Straka is not suited to be a center. I know he's played as one before, but he's a little small and I'd imagine he's an amusing target for goons when playing at center. I'd like to see Straka-Nylander-Balej at some point... it'd be a lot like Hlavac-Nedved-Dvorak, soft but very useful to generate some finesse 2nd line offense.

Straka Nylander Jagr
Jessiman - Lundmark - Balej
Rucinsky - Rucchin - Ward
Murray - Immonen - Nieminen

Old
09-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Edge

Jessiman is not suited for second line duty yet (assuming he even makes the team) and a pairing of Jessiman-Lundmark and Balej would get eaten alive.

Old
09-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

From the training camp teams, I'd say they are looking at a roster of:

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Rucinsky - Rucchin - Lundmark
Nieminen - Immonen - Balej
Hollweg - Moore - Ortmeyer

Poti - Tyutin
Malik - Kondratiev
Kasparaitis - Strudwick

Old
09-14-2005, 06:22 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
From the training camp teams, I'd say they are looking at a roster of:

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Rucinsky - Rucchin - Lundmark

Poti - Tyutin
Malik - Kondratiev
Kasparaitis - Strudwick
looks possible but Balej on a checking line??? And Not enough grit/size along the wall IMO.

Old
09-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Fletch

Why do you say...

that Balej's on a checking line? If those are the three lines (and let's just assume for arguing the point that they are), would you think Immonen's line would go against top lines and thus check, or would it be Jagr's or Rucchin's? My guess is that Immonen, if he makes the team, will be on the line that gets the third most minutes on the team. Call it whatever you want to call it, but that's where he would be. So it could make sense that Balej's on that line.

To the point of having Balej on a 'checking' line...I'm not sure if that's the worst thing if the line has a strong centerman and two decent defensemen. They do a lot of the heavy lifting while checking (i.e., center on center, right defense on left wing, left defense on right wing). Having someone with decent defensive capabilities would be nice, of course, but having someone with size and speed may not be a disaster (as long as he learns to play the game). Brylin was a pretty small checking winger, and was pretty successful.

Old
09-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour
looks possible but Balej on a checking line??? And Not enough grit/size along the wall IMO.
If it helps:

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Rucinsky - Rucchin - Lundmar

Closed Thread