HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Regular Season

Old
07-07-2011, 03:14 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNoodles View Post
I probably came off as a bit more combative than intended, and for that I apologize. I have the 2011 broom to pull out when I need to, but that honestly wasn't the intention here. I came in curious as to what you thought your prospects were, and I definitely got that answer. Moreover, I agree that, on paper, once again you all look like the favorites to win the SE, and maybe the East/President's. I do honestly think that it's going to be closer than many of you expect, with the Lightning having a solid chance to win the division, but that's natural from being a Lightning fan.

Plus, let's face it, you guys have some studs on your team that I really like. Not a huge fan of your big guys (Ovi, Semin, Green, Backstrom), but Alzner and Carlson are really great players that will be top pairing blue liners for awhile (assuming you re-sign Alzner ). Anyway, we'll settle this on the ice next season. Happy hunting!
I'm interested to see if Ashton makes the team and how plays. No doubt Washington and Tamp Rivalry has picked up in the last 10 years. I will say the SE is going to competitive and as usual be underrated by most fans in the NHL and media.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
I probably came off as a bit more combative than intended, and for that I apologize. I have the 2011 broom to pull out when I need to, but that honestly wasn't the intention here. I came in curious as to what you thought your prospects were, and I definitely got that answer. Moreover, I agree that, on paper, once again you all look like the favorites to win the SE, and maybe the East/President's. I do honestly think that it's going to be closer than many of you expect, with the Lightning having a solid chance to win the division, but that's natural from being a Lightning fan.

Plus, let's face it, you guys have some studs on your team that I really like. Not a huge fan of your big guys (Ovi, Semin, Green, Backstrom), but Alzner and Carlson are really great players that will be top pairing blue liners for awhile (assuming you re-sign Alzner ). Anyway, we'll settle this on the ice next season. Happy hunting!
We, as in you and I, are going to go onto the ice to settle the debate over whether the Caps will win the division?

What purpose does that serve?

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
We, as in you and I, are going to go onto the ice to settle the debate over whether the Caps will win the division?

What purpose does that serve?
I hope for the Caps' sake you're good at hockey. If it was me out there we'd be boned.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:27 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I hope for the Caps' sake you're good at hockey. If it was me out there we'd be boned.
Haven't played ice hockey since 5th grade or roller hockey since high school. Hell, haven't skated since high school.

We can blame BB when I totally F up, though.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Haven't played ice hockey since 5th grade or roller hockey since high school. Hell, haven't skated since high school.

We can blame BB when I totally F up, though.
Oh. Then we'd be slightly less boned with me out there, although probably still boned. BB's ass is grass.

Old
07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
aaronk21214

Average standings points, last 4 years...
--Washington = 107.5
--Tampa Bay = 80

Finish last year...
--Washington = 107
--Tampa Bay = 103

Average division rank, last 4 years...
--Washington = 1
--Tampa Bay = 3.75

Looks to me like Tampa made their jump last year. Maybe they regress back towards the mean, maybe they make this their current level, but they need another bump in order to convince me they're going to do better than they did last year.

Washington made their jump four years ago and has held their level. I don't see them as having done anything that signal a regression. Short of the team giving up on BB, I see them as a solid 100 point team, meaning at the very least a close race with the second in the Division, but probably a comfortable lead with 4 weeks out.
Washington made their jump four years ago and has held their level. I don't see them as having done anything that signal a regression. short of the team giving up on BB, I see them as a solid 100point team, meaning at the very least a close race with the second in the Division, but probably a comfortable lead with 4 weeks out.

aaronk21214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Devil Dancer

Roloson and St. Louis will be a year older, and the league seemed to figure out how to defend Stamkos in the second half of 2010-2011. OTOH, Hedman is a year older too, and that could be very good for TB.

Caps will finish first, Lightning second.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
I have the 2011 broom to pull out when I need to
I know it screams sore loser, but am I the only one who doesn't really care about this? I think any team still alive in the East at that point could have beaten the Caps team that showed up in the second round, TB just happened to be that team.

It just didn't seem like as much of an accomplishment was it was for Pittsburgh or Montreal to knock off the Caps in previous years. Maybe it's because those series went seven games, or maybe it's because the Caps played like dog **** the entire series with TB, or maybe I'm just resigned to playoff losses.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Oh. Then we'd be slightly less boned with me out there, although probably still boned. BB's ass is grass.
I can skate backwards.

kind of

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
I can skate backwards.

kind of
Never mind. I was going to say how I can skate faster than D.J. King, but then I realized that that's not particularly difficult.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is, when it counted, you all were done in four.
Then delete this thinly-veiled troll thread and yap about the playoff series...which ultimately led you to nothing but at least it's getting you through the offseason apparently.

Over 82 games the Caps are a better team, and it won't be particularly close this year like it was last year after Tampa finally threatened the division and the Caps went through uncharacteristic struggles. The Lightning have a better 1-2 center combo, but other than that the Caps are somewhere between a fair amount and a significant amount better everywhere else.

We'll see what happens in the playoffs. Every team's a choker ... until it's not.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Ovenchicken View Post
Then delete this thinly-veiled troll thread and yap about the playoff series...which ultimately led you to nothing but at least it's getting you through the offseason apparently.

Over 82 games the Caps are a better team, and it won't be particularly close this year like it was last year after Tampa finally threatened the division and the Caps went through uncharacteristic struggles. The Lightning have a better 1-2 center combo, but other than that the Caps are somewhere between a fair amount and a significant amount better everywhere else.

We'll see what happens in the playoffs. Every team's a choker ... until it's not.
Agreed. To me the only team that has bragging rights is Boston. Everyone is a loser but them. In 20 or 10 or even 5 years, no one will remember/care what happened in the second round of the 2010 playoffs.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
DrPP

Tampa has enough cap room to sign Stamkos and Purcell and let a couple youngster forwards into the lineup. I don't see signing Stamkos as a huge issue from what I see on capgeek although I might be wrong. With Roloson the whole year and Hedman a year older, my bet is that Tampa will be neck and neck with Washington most of the season.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
gocapsnd

Nothing personal to the fan who started this thread, but with rivalry comes territorial lines that probably should not be crossed. Its July 7th, everyone should be optimistic about their teams. Thats the nature of the offseason beast.
And although there is respect in the rivalry, it certainly isn't coming from blowing hot air up rival fan's butt about which of their young players they admire the most. Its from guys like St. Louis and Knuble who have earned respect from years of hard work.

gocapsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I hope Frodo retires and Ratface turns into Dany Heatley, but on a bigger contract.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly I have a hard time finding a reason to dislike Tampa...tough to hate an overachiever...

Not even on my radar as teams I dislike....dunno.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think Tampa Bay will again be a much better team than the Caps. The regular season doesn't mean diddly. TB swept Washington in the playoffs and barely broke a sweat. Vokoun will help. But the Caps are paper mâché up the middle. And Yzerman will make your team better. I expect TB to win another Cup or two in the next 5 years. They are the class of the SE.
Yup...you've completely gone off the deep end. Get off your knees for Yzerman....jesus. His team and his coach had ONE excellent season.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:28 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Yup...you've completely gone off the deep end. Get off your knees for Yzerman....jesus. His team and his coach had ONE excellent season.
Dude can't even stay on point of a regular season question.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
i dont read that as bowing at the feet of the great yzerman so much as just another way of this poster expressing his feeling that the caps SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not entirely sure that he might not consider the hurricanes very likely the caps equal this season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Capathetic

I think because of the playoffs last season the caps will be sure to show up against Tampa just like they do pittsburgh from here on out. Ask them how that works out. St louis imo your best player is getting older and you lost some key pieces like bergenhiem who without his 8 goals in the first what 7 games this could be a different discussion.The caps also added pieces to deal with that 1-3-1. Tough grinding and hitting players and hammer will be able to move the puck much better from the left then weve had in recent years.

I mean unless you think Ryan Shannon will improve your team in the playoffs...who else did tampa add? Seems to me they lost more players.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:47 PM
rockinghorse

The regular season eh does it really matter too much? It's practice.

It's the PLAYOFFS that count.

Can we get to the Stanley Cup Final? and win it? If not, then what will happen the following year? Green, Carlson, RFA's and Wideman a UFA. They'll want to get paid. Semin a UFA. Knuble another year older. Vokoun won't be cheap again.

I think this really has to be the year.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
txpd

its only doesnt matter if you win. if you lose, things happen. last season the caps completely changed their style of play. its possible that had they not messed with their game that they may have done better in the playoffs. i dont believe that but its possible.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Funkyalligator

Caps still won the conference with every single offensive player on the caps having off years...every single one....if even half of knuble, green, semin, ovie, backstrom and laich have career average years the caps will be a lot better.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
HockeyTS32

Quote:

Only commenting on the broom statement....Doesn't really matter that the Lightning swept the caps or won the series because in the end they did not win the cup just like the caps so why does it matter what round or by how many games they lost in???

HockeyTS32 is offline   Reply With Quote