HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

Old
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He was passed over by a number of other teams before we grabbed him off re-entry waivers 2 years ago. I can't see how he has done anything to make teams around the league regret their decision to stay as far away from him as possible.
Don't really want to go into the Tortorella is picking on Avery thing--but I don't think the two of them really click. It happens. Avery's game has been less effective since Tortorella became coach. No question about it. A more important question though is--Is the team getting better? And I think it is.

Personally after Tortorella's first season I was not that impressed with him. Too much my way or the highway, didn't think all the feuding with members of the press all year long was very professional and there were a few other issues--most all of which were addressed positively last year. I went from not liking him to liking him and the direction of the team is towards youth and if players like Redden last year, Drury this year and maybe Avery next year have to bite the dust for the Rangers to become a contender then so be it. Even so I still like Avery as a player and a personality. He's not the same old same old.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
This would make a lot of people out there very, very angry lol.
The ultimate troll goes out on top!

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Never hurts to have depth and Slats has to know a lot of people love him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought back as an extra forward on the really cheap if nobody else goes for him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Fedotenko would be an absolute disaster on our top line. This isn't 7 years ago when TB was winning the cup. Both TB and PIT fans couldn't wait to get rid of Feds, and it was largely because he played so horribly with skill players. He played with Malkin in Pittsburgh, and was a -17 the year before he came here. The fans HATED him.

Why not just let him play a role we know he can succeed at? Just let him be on the 3rd or 4th line, not worry too much about making plays, and just play a gritty, 2 way game.

Feds is an easy player to admire. He gives us hard minutes and can chip in the occasional goal. Don't let that fool you into thinking he can be effective on the top line, because he can't, and he won't.

As for the Avery-Boyle-Gaborik suggestion, is that some kind of a joke? Boyle has zero playmaking ability. He's either a 3/4 C, or a 2/3/4 W. He would never be able to center Gaborik. For someone who so arrogantly says we should watch hockey instead of looking at stats, you really don't seem to grasp how to properly form a lineup.
I'm not arrogant for thinking stats don't tell the full story.
You're arrogant for thinking you're the authority on what a properly formed lineup is.
Now that we're both on a lower level,

"+/-" doesn't say who was to blame for the goal. 1 guy out of position, the other four get a "-".

Boyle having zero playmaking ability...disagreed. Though, even if I did agree, Avery does have playmaking ability. Boyle is gigantic, the size and reach to retrieve the puck which he's surely great at, and he's ever improving.
Fedotenko is also great at physical play and puck retrieval, IMO. I'd like to see him get a shot with Richards if he would want him there.
We don't need Feds puckhandling through everyone. We don't even want Gaborik doing that, we want someone to just get him the puck wherever he's open for a quick shot.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I think that this will end up being his last season with the Rangers and perhaps his last in the league. His reputation proceeds him terribly, and his play suffers because if he plays with the edge needed for him to be successful, he is going to get a penalty.
Not taking a stand on Avery either way, but wondering why other teams around the league can afford to keep a guy that plays a little over the edge and the NYR can't?

Vancouver has Burrows, Philly has/had Carcillo/Hartnell, Bruins have Marchand, etc, etc...

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Not taking a stand on Avery either way, but wondering why other teams around the league can afford to keep a guy that plays a little over the edge and the NYR can't?

Vancouver has Burrows, Philly has/had Carcillo/Hartnell, Bruins have Marchand, etc, etc...
Because of our preexisting depth... We already have Rupp, Boyle, Prust... 3 guys who are ideal bottom 6 forwards.... With emerging prospects like Hagelin, MZA, and soon to be Kreider & Thomas, there's no room for either of those 3 guys to be bumped into a 3rd line role IMHO.... Avery simply doesn't fit the make-up of the team and Prust has more or less solidified himself in that role that Avery used to play.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Because of our preexisting depth... We already have Rupp, Boyle, Prust... 3 guys who are ideal bottom 6 forwards.... With emerging prospects like Hagelin, MZA, and soon to be Kreider & Thomas, there's no room for either of those 3 guys to be bumped into a 3rd line role IMHO.... Avery simply doesn't fit the make-up of the team and Prust has more or less solidified himself in that role that Avery used to play.
Prust is an agitator?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:02 PM
NikC

Avery does not have the skill set to be a top six forward, regardless if he was used as one at times. this is crazy talk.

He's a decent 3/4th line guy, but he just doesn't have the physical game any more. I dont care for his "agendas" outside of the NHL that
cause distractions.

Limit his role this year and say goodbye.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
None of those guys, who aside from Rupp I really like, are "pests" guys who get the other team off their game.

Marchand from the Bruins does that really well, the same way Avery used to do it. We haven't had a good pest on this team since Tik.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Prust is an agitator?
Avery sure isn't anymore! We don't need an agitator like that anymore.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Prust is an agitator?
Do you see him jarring with opposing players after the whistle and in front of the crease? I do.... Do you see him dropping the gloves to fight players much bigger than him to stick up for himself and his teammates? Yup.... When was the last time Avery agitated? The refs don't tolerate half the crap that Avery used to get away with to draw penalties, and just about every team in the league has learned to just ignore him....

Old
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Avery sure isn't anymore! We don't need an agitator like that anymore.
I want Torts to scale it down, see what Avery can do with a nonchalant Torts. If it's to no avail, give Avery the Brooklyn Bounce.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
None of those guys, who aside from Rupp I really like, are "pests" guys who get the other team off their game.
Avery doesn't do that anymore either. Remember the crap he would get away with 2-3 years ago? Slapping Clarkson in the face with his blade at the face-off circle. Carrying his stick over the helmet of Thomas behind the play. Bumping goaltenders, sneaking in stuff behind the play, embellishing/diving after contact to try and draw penalties..... Refs don't tolerate that crap much anymore, and why should they? League doesn't want to see that stuff in the game and I don't blame them... Just like they want to eliminate pre-arranged fights that start immediately off the face-off... I have no qualms with that, and I love the fighting element of the game.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Do you see him jarring with opposing players after the whistle and in front of the crease? I do.... Do you see him dropping the gloves to fight players much bigger than him to stick up for himself and his teammates? Yup.... When was the last time Avery agitated? The refs don't tolerate half the crap that Avery used to get away with to draw penalties, and just about every team in the league has learned to just ignore him....
I don't recall seeing Prust getting in the face with the opposing team's goalie, and I don't recall Prust trying to sucker a player into taking a penalty.

Also, taking off the gloves or sticking up for a teammate does not an agitator make; if going by that definition, then you can lump Dubinsky and even Gaborik in there as well.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I don't recall seeing Prust getting in the face with the opposing team's goalie, and I don't recall Prust trying to sucker a player into taking a penalty.
Why again do we want one of our forwards bumping goaltenders and getting in their face? That's the kind of stuff that leaves you short-handed... The refs are naturally inclined to protect the goaltenders and don't want to see that crap.... And when did Avery ever do that with anyone but Brodeur? Last I checked, we did not need to taunt Brodeur to beat him and beat the Devils....

Quote:
Also, taking off the gloves or sticking up for a teammate does not an agitator make; if going by that definition, then you can lump Dubinsky and even Gaborik in there as well.
The second there is any pushing going on after the whistle, or any of the forwards being harassed in the crease area after the play, who is the first guy in there roughing people up? Prust.... That's toughness, that gets on the nerves of the opposing players, and that's what we want from our guys... Prust is a hard-nosed guy who is disciplined enough not to hurt the team by taking dumb penalties.... We don't need 'agitators'... You can draw more penalties by outworking your opponents in the offensive zone and finishing your checks.... When players get tired and outworked, they start to cheat with their sticks and with interference, and they can wind up taking penalties....

Old
07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I want Torts to scale it down, see what Avery can do with a nonchalant Torts. If it's to no avail, give Avery the Brooklyn Bounce.
Torts did scale it down last season, and Avery was worse than ever.

So many psychiatrists around here, but the answer is pretty simple. The problem with Avery is Avery.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
eco's bones

Avery was terrific at what he used to do. That's why he used to win the most hated player every year. And he had an effect on a lot of games. Do the refs play a part in curbing that? Probably and maybe Torts as well--but it probably also took a physical toll on him--being for one thing he's not very big. If there was a hockey hall of fame for all time *******s he'd be in it. And it was entertaining as well and he had legions of fans--it just hasn't been working lately and the trend of things to come seems not to be in his favor at this point in time.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Why again do we want one of our forwards bumping goaltenders and getting in their face? That's the kind of stuff that leaves you short-handed... The refs are naturally inclined to protect the goaltenders and don't want to see that crap.... And when did Avery ever do that with anyone but Brodeur? Last I checked, we did not need to taunt Brodeur to beat him and beat the Devils....
Doing that to Brodeur also made other Devils rabid against Avery or the Rangers in general. Clarkson springs to mind. He's tried it with other goalies too: Fluery, Thomas, Miller, etc. Not as bad as with Brodeur, but still little antics here and there.

And for a team that kept having a goalie being barreled into, something like an Avery could very well offset that. Too bad Torts keeps Avery on a short leash.

Quote:
The second there is any pushing going on after the whistle, or any of the forwards being harassed in the crease area after the play, who is the first guy in there roughing people up? Prust.... That's toughness, that gets on the nerves of the opposing players, and that's what we want from our guys... Prust is a hard-nosed guy who is disciplined enough not to hurt the team by taking dumb penalties.... We don't need 'agitators'... You can draw more penalties by outworking your opponents in the offensive zone and finishing your checks.... When players get tired and outworked, they start to cheat with their sticks and with interference, and they can wind up taking penalties....
First, you tried to explain to me how Prust is agitator-like, now, you're trying to explain to me how his play offsets the need for agitators. Except Prust isn't the only player on the team who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Sure, he's more dedicated to taking off the gloves, but even that hasn't stopped other players on the other team from gooning it up, suckering our players to take a penalty, and for a plethora of games, we showed much, much more respect to the opposing goalie.

Let Avery play his game this season and let's take it from there.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Why would he retire at 31???
Because no one will sign him? Avery has used up all his chances in the league. Unless the Rangers choose to re-sign him--doubtful if Tortorella is still here--he's toast.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:32 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Torts did scale it down last season, and Avery was worse than ever.

So many psychiatrists around here, but the answer is pretty simple. The problem with Avery is Avery.
Like that time where Avery was mouthing off to another player and Torts jumped in to quiet him down? Or that other one where Avery tried to pull off an antic and all it resulted was Torts hitting his hands on Avery's shoulders and saying something to him in disgust?

Yeah, Torts definitely didn't keep him on a leash last season. /s

Old
07-07-2011, 05:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
If Avery played like he did last season, except scored 10 goals and 30 points, how would people feel about him?

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Like that time where Avery was mouthing off to another player and Torts jumped in to quiet him down? Or that other one where Avery tried to pull off an antic and all it resulted was Torts hitting his hands on Avery's shoulders and saying something to him in disgust?

Yeah, Torts definitely didn't keep him on a leash last season. /s
So Avery cant put forth an honest effort in every game unless hes allowed to employ his clownish act?

Maybe Torts feels that Avery could be a real good bottom 6 player if he shut his ****ing mouth most of the time and played hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

First, you tried to explain to me how Prust is agitator-like, now, you're trying to explain to me how his play offsets the need for agitators. Except Prust isn't the only player on the team who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Sure, he's more dedicated to taking off the gloves, but even that hasn't stopped other players on the other team from gooning it up, suckering our players to take a penalty, and for a plethora of games, we showed much, much more respect to the opposing goalie.

Let Avery play his game this season and let's take it from there.
Please dude, you're living in some fantasy land where Sean Avery can't be an effective hockey player unless his coach lets him employ his circus act out on the ice... Open your eyes and look around the league. There are plenty of players around the league who play with a chip on their shoulder, and don't have to resort to those tactics to be 'effective'.... Prust is one of the most important role players on the team, yet Avery can't assume that type of role because the big bad wolf Tortorella won't let him, right? This excuse has worn out its welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So Avery cant put forth an honest effort in every game unless hes allowed to employ his clownish act?

Maybe Torts feels that Avery could be a real good bottom 6 player if he shut his ****ing mouth most of the time and played hockey.

Yeap. It's like Torts decided, out of spite, that he would prohibit Avery from focusing on doing any of the things that help make up an effective hockey player.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Avery doesn't do that anymore either. Remember the crap he would get away with 2-3 years ago? Slapping Clarkson in the face with his blade at the face-off circle. Carrying his stick over the helmet of Thomas behind the play. Bumping goaltenders, sneaking in stuff behind the play, embellishing/diving after contact to try and draw penalties..... Refs don't tolerate that crap much anymore, and why should they? League doesn't want to see that stuff in the game and I don't blame them... Just like they want to eliminate pre-arranged fights that start immediately off the face-off... I have no qualms with that, and I love the fighting element of the game.
And the questions is why doesn't he do that anymore? Embellishing/Diving isn't tolerated anymore? Seems to me that nobody told the refs in the SC Finals that, because the Nucks were flopping around like fish in a boat...they didn't get any calls but they kept trying.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
If Avery played like he did last season, except scored 10 goals and 30 points, how would people feel about him?
Good 3rd/4th liner.

Which is what he is and always was.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote