HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be this years whipping boy???

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2005, 02:22 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

vCash: 500
I don't think Khavanov will be a whipping boy, I think he's going to be a valuable player for the Leafs.

If Antropov doesn't breakthrough this year, then it will be him.

Old
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
DuklaNation

I'd say Czerkawski is the obvious choice. But Leaf fans usually pick on a defensman. So Khavanov.

Old
09-12-2005, 07:58 PM
JB Maple Leafs

I don't know why everybody's picking Czerkawski....He only makes 500K. Even if he does get 15 or 20 it's not a big portion of the cap room for a depth player on the wing that we need badly. The whipping boys in the past (like Reichel, Renberg and Lumme) were criticized because they didn't seem to contribute enough to justify their salaries. By the way, I also agree that Reichel was a good contributer with his 2 way play. His point totals only reflected the fact that he was stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines all the time. Who cares that he was overpaid then....we spent as much as we wanted!

So this year none of their star players are gonna be making much more than 1.5 million with the exception of a notable few.

Sundin
McCabe
Kaberle
Belfour

My guess is that the whipping boy will sadly be one of these guys if they get off to a slow start - I hope it doesn't happen because I believe in every one of them. If it does happen, I'll be one of the first to defend them.......that is unless they really stink up the joint!

Old
09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Maple Leafs
I

Sundin
McCabe
Kaberle
Belfour

My guess is that the whipping boy will sadly be one of these guys if they get off to a slow start - I hope it doesn't happen because I believe in every one of them. If it does happen, I'll be one of the first to defend them.......that is unless they really stink up the joint!

I think Mats and the Eagle have been around long enough not to be anybody's whipping boy even if they are not performing very well. We tend to pick as whipping boys those who we think are not working hard, or playing stupidly, or floating, or backing off etc. I don't think people pick on great players in slumps.

Kabs and McCabe don't yet have that sort of affection and respect because of their lack of relative longevity so they well might catch it.

I tend to pick on people who do not merit the blue and white because of their lack of passion or total lack of talent.

Old
09-12-2005, 08:23 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
I tend to pick on people who do not merit the blue and white because of their lack of passion or total lack of talent.
I totaly agree with you on that one!! That's why we're fortunate this year with new players like Lindros, Allison and O'Neil. All 3 of these guys bleed Blue and White and will have a chance to show it playing for their hometown!! These guys have a lot of critics to prove wrong and I for one am looking forward to watching them do it!!!

Old
09-12-2005, 09:18 PM
psod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Maple Leafs
I totaly agree with you on that one!! That's why we're fortunate this year with new players like Lindros, Allison and O'Neil. All 3 of these guys bleed Blue and White and will have a chance to show it playing for their hometown!!
Yeah, but that can backfire too. When the media starts to rip into you (and it will in a city like TO) in your hometown it can be tough to swallow. I really want to see this workout for all of them, but I'm wary of how it could all go horribly wrong. I think this is particularly true for Lindros. He's going to have a lot of critics in this city, and if he's on a third line with guys who may be underperforming (or not having the breakout year we expect them too) Eric may end up taking the worst of it.

Old
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psod
Yeah, but that can backfire too. When the media starts to rip into you (and it will in a city like TO) in your hometown it can be tough to swallow. I really want to see this workout for all of them, but I'm wary of how it could all go horribly wrong. I think this is particularly true for Lindros. He's going to have a lot of critics in this city, and if he's on a third line with guys who may be underperforming (or not having the breakout year we expect them too) Eric may end up taking the worst of it.
You may be right there....... If anyone will have pressure on them this year it will be Lindros. After all he's finaly getting his wish to play here and now people are gonna be saying show us what you got Buddy! If he can't handle the pressure it won't be for lack of effort. This guy is going to work his Butt off here I can guarantee it!! He's made it clear that even though it's only a 1 year deal he plans on being here for many years..... Well he knows that he'd better produce if he wants to make that a reality!

Old
09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Tiger Williams

Khavanov.

I've been a lifelong Blues fan, by the time this season is over you all are going to be wondering how in the world Khavanov could be so bad, considering you've heard generally decent, even good things about him, and not read much about how awful he is.

You will find that there's nothing he does well. Nothing.

He's useless defensively. He has no defensive skills and has no defensive intensity. He can't pass the puck, period, anywhere on the ice, in any situation. The majority of his passes are between knee level and waist level.

You've never seen a defensman in your life who you will see standing all by himself, 10 feet from his own net, alone, while goal scorers have just scored with no d-man around them--he cannot stay with opponents. And he cannot and will not even attempt to clear the crease. He will screen your own goalie more than any other player you've ever seen.

He is touted as being a good offensive defenseman, not so. He is not even average at any part of the offensive game.

I'm not making this post as a means of laughing at you now that you have him on your team. I pity you for what you will witness from him this year.

Its painful and aggravating to watch, sorry.

Old
09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Williams
Khavanov.

I've been a lifelong Blues fan, by the time this season is over you all are going to be wondering how in the world Khavanov could be so bad, considering you've heard generally decent, even good things about him, and not read much about how awful he is.

You will find that there's nothing he does well. Nothing.

He's useless defensively. He has no defensive skills and has no defensive intensity. He can't pass the puck, period, anywhere on the ice, in any situation. The majority of his passes are between knee level and waist level.

You've never seen a defensman in your life who you will see standing all by himself, 10 feet from his own net, alone, while goal scorers have just scored with no d-man around them--he cannot stay with opponents. And he cannot and will not even attempt to clear the crease. He will screen your own goalie more than any other player you've ever seen.

He is touted as being a good offensive defenseman, not so. He is not even average at any part of the offensive game.

I'm not making this post as a means of laughing at you now that you have him on your team. I pity you for what you will witness from him this year.

Its painful and aggravating to watch, sorry.
This is what I am epecting out of him. St. Louis's whipping boy is now Toronto's wipping boy. I am hoping he can prove me wrong. I said from the beginning I didn't like this signing. I think I would almost have Drake Berehowski in his spot instead. They are both about the same Offencivley and the Drake can actually play physical and from time to time show flashes of his true potential. Man oh man, how Richard Jackman would look good in Khavanov's spot paired with Klee . Anyways, If Khavanov, bombs bad hopefully Carlo will get more ice time and maybe even get Kronwall in the picture .

Old
09-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Christ

Hmm...interesting question. My guess would be Czerkawski if he is as bad as Montreal fans say that he is though I am not convinced by anything a Habs fan tells me about a player of late. Perrenial whipping boy Aki Berg, should see some more attention as well and one can never discount the enigma that is Antropov. Also Belak should recieve some consideration as he is truely an awful player though he can fight.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Mccabe Kaberle Any F The Leafs D Cept Klee

Closed Thread