HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stumpy is home.

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Mike1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
Just out of curiousity...flame away.

Would Thomas serve any purpose as a fourth-liner? I know the automatic thinking is to put him with Mats again, but do we really want Stumpy on our first line at this stage?

Plugging him on the fourth line would keep him on the team in terms of leadership, grit, and intangibles....while not subjecting him to too many minutes and pressure to score.

I'm brutal at these, and I'm not sure if Thomas can play left, but here we go:

Tucker-Sundin-Czerkawski
Stajan-Allison-O'neill
Antropov-Lindros-Ponikarovsky
Thomas-Kilger-Domi
Not a bad idea to have him there. My question would be how has Steve done on the left side in his career?

I think that one of Perrot or Wilm will not make the team or maybe gets traded.

Go Stumpy Go!

Last edited by Mike1: 09-10-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old
09-10-2005, 10:58 PM
iceblue

I have to say that I am impressed with JFJ's idea of inviting a whole range of players to training camp, including unsigned free agents. I would love to see Stumpy play once last year, but only if he can earn the spots from the kids.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Charge_Seven

Why not try to motivate Mr. Antropov?

Start him on the fourth line, and tell him that if he improves, he can move up. Start the lines like this:

Thomas-Sundin-Czerkawski
Stajan-Allison-O'Neill
Tucker-Lindros-Domi (give Lindros some protection to...at least make the people who hunt know that they've got to throw down if they do)
Kilger-Antropov-Ponikarovsky

Maybe I'm crazy, but with that lineup Quinn could get offence out of ALL of the lines (potentially). Sure, Thomas may not have the gas for the top line, and you could instantly stop the bleeding and go to him on the 4th, with Antropov/Ponikarovsky moving to Lindros' wings, dropping Domi down, and sliding Tucker to the #1.

Personally, I see Thomas as a guy who in the right situation could still pot 40 points, and if we're seriously rolling 3 or 4 lines, which is possible, then why not toss Stevey up there until he proves he shouldn't be?

Give Steen time with the Marlies to prove he can be a NA centreman, and then next season if one of Allison/Lindros don't work out, or don't come back, we have a guy who can slide in there. Steen cannot play on our 4th line. He needs minutes. Personally I say Steen stays on the Marlies until he's guaranteed to be given a scorers role.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Bill Watters sucks the big chubby.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Give Steen time with the Marlies to prove he can be a NA centreman
I have a sneaky suspicion Steen wouldn't be playing center with the Marlies...or with the Leafs, if he makes it this year, for that matter.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:45 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

yep
screw leafs lunch and bill watters
i aint listening to that anymore

Old
09-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Part of me thinks with all these invites to camp/recent cheaper signings, that JFJ has a trade in the works. Guess time will tell.
Really? If anything these moves signal to me that a trade is absolutely nowhere on the horizon, and to be truthful I'm ok with that.

I think JFJ is merely trying to piece together the best roster he can with a shoe string budget, while retaining our top prospects and flexibility for the next few years. I could be totally off but here is how I see it.

Year 1- Reasonably competitive team, but one that is almost assuredly not built for a cup run unless certain individuals really step it up.

Year 2- The gambles of year one are assessed, those whom are liked are re-signed, those who did not pan out walk or are given low ball contracts again. Hopefully a top flight goalie is brought in, see Nab/Turc, hopefully the former. Better team than the year prior, but still lacking the elite youth.

Year 3- Our prospects have hopefully developed and a few new faces are on the cusp in our farm system. These 3+ prospects flesh out our lineup which is now under the restraints of a cap. Our 30-33 year old vets from the years prior have garnered chemistry and are ready to make a legitimate push for the cup. Our cap situation remains relatively stable, allowing us to add 1-2 pieces to the puzzle, and complete a team that is capable of competing, which is really all we can ask for.

Idealistic? Yep. Drug induced? Perhaps. Possible? I think so.

Old
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Here's what I see(fingers crossed for stumpy)

O'neill Sundin Thomas
Lindros Allison Czerkawski
Tucker Stajan Kilger
Poni Antro Domi

Old
09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
bingo_vodun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
Really? If anything these moves signal to me that a trade is absolutely nowhere on the horizon, and to be truthful I'm ok with that.

I think JFJ is merely trying to piece together the best roster he can with a shoe string budget, while retaining our top prospects and flexibility for the next few years. I could be totally off but here is how I see it.

Year 1- Reasonably competitive team, but one that is almost assuredly not built for a cup run unless certain individuals really step it up.

Year 2- The gambles of year one are assessed, those whom are liked are re-signed, those who did not pan out walk or are given low ball contracts again. Hopefully a top flight goalie is brought in, see Nab/Turc, hopefully the former. Better team than the year prior, but still lacking the elite youth.

Year 3- Our prospects have hopefully developed and a few new faces are on the cusp in our farm system. These 3+ prospects flesh out our lineup which is now under the restraints of a cap. Our 30-33 year old vets from the years prior have garnered chemistry and are ready to make a legitimate push for the cup. Our cap situation remains relatively stable, allowing us to add 1-2 pieces to the puzzle, and complete a team that is capable of competing, which is really all we can ask for.

Idealistic? Yep. Drug induced? Perhaps. Possible? I think so.
Sorry i dissagree. we have too many old player/injury prome we need more young guys in prime. yes jfj must pay attention, I may have judged what he have done, only notice he have not judged me. It is a judgment of his actions not his person.

Old
09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup
Here's what I see(fingers crossed for stumpy)

O'neill Sundin Thomas
Lindros Allison Czerkawski
Tucker Stajan Kilger
Poni Antro Domi
Thomas = LW
Lindros = C/RW
Kilger = C/LW

Old
09-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Rand

As long as he isn't signed and handed a position outright and legitimately has to fight for a spot on the team then I'm content with this.

Old
09-14-2005, 04:02 PM
bpower

Stumpy had the fastest time on day 1 of camp in the blueline to blueline. Impressive wheels for a 42 year old!

Old
09-14-2005, 04:09 PM
wasting time

Ken Campbell was interviewed on Leafs Lunch and he thinks that Stumpy does not have a chance in hell, and that JFJ really didn't want him in camp but allowed it to happen because of who Thomas was to the organization and the friends he has.

Old
09-14-2005, 04:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont like the idea of him taking a kids spot in the 4th line

Old
09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
i wouldnt mind seeing him play 40 to 60 games a yr