HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Myers: How much for How long?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
5 mil cap hit tops, whoever said 7 mil for Myers is insane, he is not worth that much.

Give him what Doughty gets, - a million.
I think so too. He'll likely make that much at some point in his career, but I don't think it's very likely before he's a UFA.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I think even a conservative thinker like Regier knows that waiting til then would be playing with fire - especially if Myers breaks out in his 3rd season. Right now, there's a fair balance of leverage for both sides: the Myers camp can promote his Calder season, while the Sabres camp can remind that a 2nd year player coming off an inconsistent season still has a lot of room to improve and grow.

I suspect that there will be some discussions about Myers' contract before training camp, but after most of the more pressing personnel (RFA / trade / draft) issues are dealt with.
I hope this is true. It sure would suck to watch another talented young defenseman walk as campbell did. Get a deal done soon before his asking price gets to be too high, but even if it does, Regier should be prepared to pony up anyways. Losing Myers would set us back another two years defensively...

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by proyce241 View Post
I hope this is true. It sure would suck to watch another talented young defenseman walk as campbell did. Get a deal done soon before his asking price gets to be too high, but even if it does, Regier should be prepared to pony up anyways. Losing Myers would set us back another two years defensively...
Except that the Myers situation is nothing like the Campbell situation. Tyler is going to be a RFA, while Soupy was a UFA. Our owner then was Tom Golisano, a guy whose stated objective was to break even. Our owner now is Terry Pegula, whose stated objective is to win a Cup, and financial restrictions will no longer get in the way of fielding the best team possible. Are we starting to see any differences yet?

And, by the way, Regier doesn't "pony up" anything. He's not the one signing the checks. Pegula is the one ponying up.

The panic needs to stop.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Except that the Myers situation is nothing like the Campbell situation. Tyler is going to be a RFA, while Soupy was a UFA. Our owner then was Tom Golisano, a guy whose stated objective was to break even. Our owner now is Terry Pegula, whose stated objective is to win a Cup, and financial restrictions will no longer get in the way of fielding the best team possible. Are we starting to see any differences yet?

And, by the way, Regier doesn't "pony up" anything. He's not the one signing the checks. Pegula is the one ponying up.

The panic needs to stop.
Fair enough point. Myers contract is by no means a direct reflection of the Soupy incident. I get that. Basically, my belief is that Darcy needs to make a move sooner rather than later. Signing Myers this season, as opposed to waiting for him to become an RFA, would show that he is capable of being a proactive GM. That would be a welcome breath of fresh air and i am sure that Pegula will "pony up" and sign the check, which would be another welcome breath of fresh air.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

very true zip .... i am of the frame of mind however ... Results speaks louder to me than:
"reason for existence ...."
"million little things ...."
"hockey heaven ..."

words, just words ....

Don't get me wrong (those of you ready to pound the keyboard) i do SEE the differences on and off the ice so far. And i HOPE it will continue to exceed our collective expectations

Oh, and results do not include landing 7-8 million dollar players. If it isn't a smart hockey move, don't do it just cause we have a rich owner.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:09 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The only way he signs a deal this summer is for a major overpayment. Don't you think he and his agent are aware that they may have more leverage next season--third year in the league, looming possibility of offer sheet, etc--and will wait until next summer? Part and parcel of my opinion that it should be done next season is that he's not going to accept anything short of a serious overpayment this summer.

Further, next season is the last under this CBA. There's likely to be some significant changes. One of the major rumblings is that the league is going to want to increase the UFA age to 29. That will have an effect on Myers' next deal.

We have an owner who'll pay Myers. That's not a concern. They'll have plenty of time to take care of this next summer.

There may be some discussions, but I don't see an agreement in the near future. How many players have signed big deals after their second year and during the summer in which they were 21? I'd guess very few. It's fairly clear Myers doesn't want to deal with it until next summer. Fine. We have an owner who'll pay him. We have a GM who's enamored with his own draft picks.

Tyler Myers ain't goin' nowhere.

It takes an overpayment now (which is relative) which could still be less than market next summer. Myers is in the drivers seat right now and will be even more so next summer unless he gets hurt or falters. A deal now creates long term security for both sides, allows the Sabres to manage their salary structure, slot other players and sell the team to free agents.

If Myers is going for a home run, he likely waits until next summer. Otherwise, the team can try to provide him an offer he finds too appealling to wait on.

This whole scenario is more akin to the Vanek mess (minus the Briere/Drury departure) than to Campbell. It still remains about controlling your assets.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
It's going to get done. Next summer.

Let's all breathe now.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
thomas vanek

12 years, 70 million. And we have our #1, future Norris Trophy-winning defenceman for the forseeable future.

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I think it will be 3-5 years long and between 5-7 million/year. If he has a Norris-type of season it will certainly push 7, and he would be worth every penny IMO. If he has another good offensive year (45 point range) and improves upon his defensive and physical play, he will command around 5 or 6.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Sabretip

From July 1st:

Quote:
1:04 p.m.: By the way, the Sabres are free to negotiate an extension with Tyler Myers, who is entering the final year of his entry-level deal. Don't expect anything today. "Itís something to wait to see where the team is at on that," Myers' agent, J.P. Barry, told The News this week. "Weíre patient. Iím sure Darcy [Regier] wants to get through this week and into a little bit of free agency, and then itís something that can take place afterward."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...om-july-1.html

So when should we expect to hear some reports of talks between the Sabres and Myers? After arbitration hearings? If they can't re-sign Sekera, maybe. Before training camp? If Myers doesn't want the in-season distraction, maybe.

I'd expect a 6-8 year term and a salary that starts around $3.5M next year and escalates to $6M.....say $3.5M / $4.0M / $4.5M / $4.5M / $5.0M / $5.0M / $5.5M / $6.0M over 8 years for $4.75M cap hit.

Guesses on term / value?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Kruschiki

Too early to tell. He could have a career year playing #1 minutes with Regehr in all situations, or he could be relegated to 2nd pairing minutes in a more limited role.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I would offer him 10 year 60 million dollar deal, or a 5 year 25 million dollar deal.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

with a new proactive owner in town, I don't have a problem with a deal that's more like 3 years /16 mil, knowing that he will be re-signed. who knows what the cap will be. he'll then get a new contract AFTER all of those rollbacks or whatever happens. I suspect that's going to be what his agent will want. Richards wants the big cash up front, Myers will probably accept a fair payment and want the big bucks down the road.

so instead of signing 6years/48 mil now, and only making 40 mil on the contract. he can take the 3/16 now, and then get the 6/48 later on and get the full 48.

Am I crazy?

I'd sleep better though if he were locked up for the next 12 years.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I would sign him to 8 years+ if it means keeping hit cap hit between 4-5 million. If they sign him for 3 years and then look to resign him again before he becomes a UFA, he could be commanding 7 million a year.

I'd say 8 years, 36 million is a good starting point. (4.5 cap hit).

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
with a new proactive owner in town, I don't have a problem with a deal that's more like 3 years /16 mil, knowing that he will be re-signed. who knows what the cap will be. he'll then get a new contract AFTER all of those rollbacks or whatever happens. I suspect that's going to be what his agent will want. Richards wants the big cash up front, Myers will probably accept a fair payment and want the big bucks down the road.

so instead of signing 6years/48 mil now, and only making 40 mil on the contract. he can take the 3/16 now, and then get the 6/48 later on and get the full 48.

Am I crazy?

I'd sleep better though if he were locked up for the next 12 years.
No way does he go from an ELC to a 5.3 million cap hit for 3 years. At that cap hit his deal should be 6 years long, or longer.

BuiltTagonTough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Too early to tell. He could have a career year playing #1 minutes with Regehr in all situations, or he could be relegated to 2nd pairing minutes in a more limited role.
You sound like you have some trust issues with Myers being a foundation piece of the team's future....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
5 mil cap hit tops, whoever said 7 mil for Myers is insane, he is not worth that much.

Give him what Doughty gets, - a million.
It's assumed Doughty is getting no less than $7M

I'd hope for 8 years, $6M AAV, modified NTC.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Loungie

8+ years. Don't wanna see this guy in another teams jersey.

/thread

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Starting at 22 yrs. old

2012-2013 - 4 mil.
2013-2014 - 4.25
2014-2015 - 4.5
2015-2016 - 5
2016-2017 - 5.5
2017-2018 - 6
2018-2019 - 5
2019-2020 - 5
2020-2021 - 4 - End of season, 31 yrs. old

9 yr. - cap hit of 4.81 mil.

Is that too low for Myers? I think it's fair, perhaps slightly low.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:00 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
a 3 year deal keeps him as a RFA. Might not be a bad alternitive if he doesn't want a 6 year plus deal

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I would sign him to 8 years+ if it means keeping hit cap hit between 4-5 million. If they sign him for 3 years and then look to resign him again before he becomes a UFA, he could be commanding 7 million a year.

I'd say 8 years, 36 million is a good starting point. (4.5 cap hit).
Its a tough call...

Does Myers want a 3 year deal that bring him to UFA year? Or is he ok with us "buying" some or all of the UFA years? I think sone are over estimating his RFA years. Those are the years the Sabres have the upper hand, and then it basically flip flops.

If its a 3 year deal... 3 years 12-15 mill max range.

If its more than 3 years then the Sabres are gonna wanna go 6 or 7 PLUS years, even up to 10+ years. It may be smart for the Sabres to grab those UFA years in an overpayment now. Who knows what the cap could be in what, 2015-2016 season, and beyond? Should we assume it will always go up? No garauntees right? Zip mentioned what if UFA age is adjusted? THen we paid for RFA years as if they were UFA years. That would make the Sabres not so smart.

F it. 3 years, 14 mill. Deal with it after the next negotiations?
or 8 years, 45-50 mill?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
From July 1st:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...om-july-1.html

So when should we expect to hear some reports of talks between the Sabres and Myers? After arbitration hearings? If they can't re-sign Sekera, maybe. Before training camp? If Myers doesn't want the in-season distraction, maybe.

I'd expect a 6-8 year term and a salary that starts around $3.5M next year and escalates to $6M.....say $3.5M / $4.0M / $4.5M / $4.5M / $5.0M / $5.0M / $5.5M / $6.0M over 8 years for $4.75M cap hit.

Guesses on term / value?
This is Regier.

You'll hear about it after he is signed.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas vanek View Post
12 years, 70 million. And we have our #1, future Norris Trophy-winning defenceman for the forseeable future.
this is what I was going to say as well 12/70

by the end of his contract it will look like a huge bargain

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Quote:
You sound like you have some trust issues with Myers being a foundation piece of the team's future....
yea, what's up with that ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
this is what I was going to say as well 12/70

by the end of his contract it will look like a huge bargain
I think if you gave him that long of a contract and a bunch upfront, you could probably get him for less. Think $5 million or less as the cap hit.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote