HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's going to take their game to the next level this season?

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to take their game to the next level next season?
Sauer (23) 13 11.02%
MDZ (21) 18 15.25%
Feds (32) 5 4.24%
Dubi (25) 29 24.58%
AA (23) 60 50.85%
Cally (26) 13 11.02%
Wolski (25) 13 11.02%
Stepan (21) 35 29.66%
Zucc (23) 24 20.34%
Girardi (26) 2 1.69%
Boyle (26) 3 2.54%
Prust (27) 2 1.69%
McDonagh (22) 23 19.49%
Staal (24) 20 16.95%
Girardi (27) 2 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2011, 11:23 PM
rickyrod

vCash: 500
In a case of Barbara Underhill-based wishful thinking, I picked Wolski. If he could get going and solidify the top line, we've got a real shot this season, even if that line does ship a lot of goals against.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Beg pardon? You and I (and I think most people would agree with me) are clearly watching two different Marc Staals. HOF shutdown defender is indeed a bit much, but you can't even be an average defenseman if you have "horrendous balance."
Do yourself a favor and watch his game closely next season. Notice how many times he falls down, makes horrific reads defensively and when pinching in and he gets caught out of position way too often. Don't get me wrong, I like marc staal as a player, I'm just not in love with his game as much as some fans are. I firmly believe that ryan mcdonagh has greater upside defensively than marc staal because he is a much better skater and makes smarter decisions in general especially in the defensive zone.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Bold Prediction:

- McDonagh moves ahead as our #1 guy.
Would LOVE to see this, McDonagh is just going to be a star on our blueline for a loooooonnnngggggg time

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He rolled 3 lines last season because at that point, the 4th line was essentially a liability.

Wolski-Drury-Christensen or whatever combination of those players was not going to help this team in any sense.

Now, the team has much more depth. They could end up with a 4th line of Rupp-Boyle-Prust, which is nowhere near a liability, and could effectively play 10-12 minutes a night. When the team is fully healthy, from line 1 to line 4, it has depth, which is a good thing, and will allow Tortorella to get each player to play their game. I don't think he'll have to worry about the 4th line getting scored on nearly as much as he did before.
I undertsand why he did it last season, but over his coaching career he has always been a short bench coach.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Blueblood 2

Generally I would look toward the defense men. AA on the offense.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Marc Staal? HOF shutdown defender? He's an absolute train wreck getting the puck out of the zone and his balance is horrendous. I don't see him with much more upside defensively until he learns to skate better and make much better reads. Ryan McDonagh is the player whose game will improve with experience and he will be our best defensive defenseman hands down. Some of you Ranger fans need to stop falling in love with Lundqvist and Staal and use a little common sense in analyzing their overall games. Both of them are so overated, its beyond comical!

As for my take on the actual subject, it's obviously difficult to say, since the team is flooded with young, promising players. If they can be injury free: Sauer, McDonaugh, Zucca and Callahan will take it to the next level.

Last edited by Chimp: 07-07-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Doyle

Between the two seasons, Anisimov made a 16 point increase in points totals, a 57 percent jump. If we apply that same reasoning to this following season, Anisimov could be looking at close to 70 points next year. Of course, this projection would be a huge IF and definitely not an arguing point from GM Glen Sather.

http://nhlhotstove.com/new-york-rang...rtem-anisimov/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
satrabyk

I will say Sauer and Zucc could take the biggest step. Sauer was already very good last season but i see him this year really soldifying that he is without a doubt a top 4 D man and maybe even top 2 pairing guy. As far as Zucc i think he will break out this year. I think im gonna go against most people on here and say MCd struggles next year.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:23 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Do yourself a favor and watch his game closely next season. Notice how many times he falls down, makes horrific reads defensively and when pinching in and he gets caught out of position way too often. Don't get me wrong, I like marc staal as a player, I'm just not in love with his game as much as some fans are. I firmly believe that ryan mcdonagh has greater upside defensively than marc staal because he is a much better skater and makes smarter decisions in general especially in the defensive zone.
If you think Mcd has more upside than Stall, you better wash your eyes out with some serious soap and get your brain fixed. Stall is the anchor on the blue line, besides late last season in which he had an injury he is no question a top shutdown defender in the league. If anyone Mcd is much more questionable as it think Sauer was just amazing last year and helped Mcd in many ways with his steady demeanor. Id like to see how Mcd fairs in a full season and if not playing with Sauer.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

McDonagh could end up the better d-man than Staal but you're selling Staal ridiculously short and McD still has a ways to go before that conversation starts to become worth having. No doubt, McD has some seriously big potential though. I think he's a breakout player next season with 25~30 points and excellent defense. I chose him and AA as my players who take a significant step forward this year. I also think Staal puts up ~35 points this year though, while still being our #1 this season.

As for Zuccarello (I've seen a couple of people mentioning him). I'm not even sure he plays more than 40 games for us this season.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:42 AM
mullichicken25

McD will NEVER be the presence down low in our defensive zone that marc staal already is

staal goes into the corner outnumbered, often by elite level players, and routinely gains/maintains possession of the puck

thats staal's bread and butter, breaking up plays and securing possession in our defensive zone, and McD will never be as good as him in that regaurd

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
OldStanley

Sauer, if he remains injury free he cements himself as a top 4 and may turn into a shutdown guy not much different than Phillips was in Ottawa not long ago.

Stepan and Callahan would be my next choices to breakout although I think Callahan was well on his way to doing so last year.

I have doubts about MZA and McD, more so MZA.

OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
McD will NEVER be the presence down low in our defensive zone that marc staal already is

staal goes into the corner outnumbered, often by elite level players, and routinely gains/maintains possession of the puck

thats staal's bread and butter, breaking up plays and securing possession in our defensive zone, and McD will never be as good as him in that regaurd
The number of times that happened last season is mind boggling. He did it every game, several times a game, and usually against some pretty damn good players.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Thank you.

McDonagh is great because of his skating and he's a pretty strong guy. I love him and think he has top pairing, two-way d-man potential if he ever starts to use his skating ability to its full potential. But Staal is a monster and it's a shame this board appreciates him less and less every season because he's not the shiny new toy.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Between the two seasons, Anisimov made a 16 point increase in points totals, a 57 percent jump. If we apply that same reasoning to this following season, Anisimov could be looking at close to 70 points next year. Of course, this projection would be a huge IF and definitely not an arguing point from GM Glen Sather.

http://nhlhotstove.com/new-york-rang...rtem-anisimov/
That reasoning is why I thought AA was going to explode in points last year... If you look at his career totals in each league he played in by the 2nd season he nearly doubled his production. Obviously there is an element of more ice time but that comes with confidence in the coach. Its fair to assume that playing in the best league in the world he wasn't going to continue that pace but it's not unimaginable that by his 3rd season he would figure it out.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
3Four3

I didn't vote because I expect more and better things from Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Prust, Boyle, Staal, Saur, and McDonagh.

I also expect Stepan to do better this season and hopefully he's immune from the S.S., "sophomore slump," and Del Zotto and Gaborik better turn it up this season or it may very well be the last season we see the both of them in Ranger Blue.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
If you think Mcd has more upside than Stall, you better wash your eyes out with some serious soap and get your brain fixed. Stall is the anchor on the blue line, besides late last season in which he had an injury he is no question a top shutdown defender in the league. If anyone Mcd is much more questionable as it think Sauer was just amazing last year and helped Mcd in many ways with his steady demeanor. Id like to see how Mcd fairs in a full season and if not playing with Sauer.
First, if you're so in love with him, you should learn how to spell his name correctly
pal!
You're just like a lot of the other Rangers fans on here who are so blinded by their loyalty to the team, they believe that a lot of our players are better than they actually are. If you would just spend the time watching Staal play from shift to shift game in and game out, you would notice the things I am talking about regarding his performance.
He is far from an elite shutdown defender, that status is reserved for players like Chara who are in another stratosphere than Staal. I'm not picking on him, I just think both McD and Sauer consistently make much better decisions and reads from a defensive standpoint than both Staal and Girardi do.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

and you came to this conclusion after watching him play a half season?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Thank you.

McDonagh is great because of his skating and he's a pretty strong guy. I love him and think he has top pairing, two-way d-man potential if he ever starts to use his skating ability to its full potential. But Staal is a monster and it's a shame this board appreciates him less and less every season because he's not the shiny new toy.
Its not that we don't appreciate him, its just that a lot of fans like myself don't see him as anywhere close to an elite level shutdown defenseman. I'm happy he plays for the rangers, I just don't think he's as wonderful as some fans on here make him out to be. He's solid, dependable, eats up minutes as a 1st pairing guy but unless his skating improves drammatically and his defensive awareness and decision making get better, his upside will be restricted.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Thank you.

You've made some really good points here. I agree with you wholeheartedly on McD's potential but it will take some time. Staal is a wonderful defenseman who does many things well defensively and whose offense is improving every year. I just wish his skating and decision making would improve.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
and you came to this conclusion after watching him play a half season?
Yep, half a season is all anyone needs to notice a players particular strengths. McD is an incredible skater who has tremendous lower body strength and an inate ability to make the right read at the right time. He also happens to be paired with a player in Sauer who also is terrific fundamentally speaking and who probably would have been a high 1st round pick had he not been so injury prone earlier in his career. We are blessed to have all four defensemen(Staal,Girardi,McD,and Sauer) and so I am really pleased with our top 2 pairings. We need to get the 3rd pair straightened out and we'll be set for a long time.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

My prediction is Boyle scores 10-15 goals.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Tough question, because I feel we've seen the potential all of these guys have for the most part.

WW - live to see him back to where he was a few yrs ago... Cally, Dubi close to topping out? Step, Ani doing great for their age... BR and Gabby would be nice if they had "normal" years... Zucc maybe? Boyle had his last yr. The defense is coming along nicely but is kinda low key. MDZ would be nice.

I'll say whoever plays LW with BR and Gabby.

Last edited by Riche16: 07-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote