HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds signs 2-year deal; $1.75M AAV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
  #51
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  #52
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.
Where? I read he was helping today at camp, but not that he's been officially named as a coach.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
  #53
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.
Well if you are suggesting he will retire, then I doubt it. Unless his new job pays him 1mil, which is what he would get just sitting around "trying" to comeback, then he will likely not retire.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
  #54
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Well if you are suggesting he will retire, then I doubt it. Unless his new job pays him 1mil, which is what he would get just sitting around "trying" to comeback, then he will likely not retire.
He'll get paid that either way.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
  #55
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Precisely the number that I was expecting. Eerie, actually.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
  #56
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
How on earth does Schenn make that much money? How many NHL games has he played?
He doesn't. That's the most he can earn.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM
  #57
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Well if you are suggesting he will retire, then I doubt it. Unless his new job pays him 1mil, which is what he would get just sitting around "trying" to comeback, then he will likely not retire.
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
  #58
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,174
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.
Not saying they will now, but didn't the league make some sort of exception for Mike Rathje? He was on LTIR for like a hundred years wasn't he when he had no intention of coming back?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
  #59
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not saying they will now, but didn't the league make some sort of exception for Mike Rathje? He was on LTIR for like a hundred years wasn't he when he had no intention of coming back?
You might recall him actually showing up in camp that one year. Rathje also didn't take another gig (that I'm aware of).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:24 AM
  #60
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.
So his cap hit comes off if he's retired? What's the big deal about, please explain. tia

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:30 AM
  #61
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So his cap hit comes off if he's retired? What's the big deal about, please explain. tia
His cap hit doesn't come off since he is a 35+ contract. You can stash him on LTIR if it's plausible that he's attempting a comeback, and you're then allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. However, once he accepts another job, he is clearly retired, and his hit counts against the cap.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:56 AM
  #62
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
His cap hit doesn't come off since he is a 35+ contract. You can stash him on LTIR if it's plausible that he's attempting a comeback, and you're then allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. However, once he accepts another job, he is clearly retired, and his hit counts against the cap.
So if he is officially a coach, we're screwing ourselves. Awesome.

eta: thanks for the explanation.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:02 AM
  #63
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.
League: "You can't put Lappy on LTIR, he is coaching for you now"

Homer: "No, he is not coaching, he has been "developing" ways to return from a concussion and his primary subject is himself. He still hopes to play this year."

League: "BS"

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
  #64
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.
Not necessarily. I'm not sure what he can do for his symptoms besides waiting. He can always say he intends to fulfill his player contract as soon as his symptoms subside.

Doesn't staying at home look more like "retirement" from hockey than taking on an auxiliary coaching role?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:50 AM
  #65
apadilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
WOW thats a discount i thought he'd get at least 2.5. Good Luck with him, he'll be a crowd favorite, and will be interesting to see when the Kings come to Philly in the middle of October
2.5 mil a year? seems about 1 mil a year too high,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:06 AM
  #66
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
You realise that hockey players can have other jobs aswell right? It's not against league rules

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
  #67
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,258
vCash: 500
Wasn't Clarke both a player and an assistant coach back in the early 80's which is why he gave up the "C".

They could say lappy is working out and trying new avenues of treatment, and while doing so is keeping around the team by helping the young players. Not far fetched. Heck the NHL gave him a players award this year and he was on LTIR all season, it's good for both parties. If they crack down on that it would make GM more leery of giving multiyear contracts to over 35 players. I bet the NHLPA tries to fix that next time around so the older players make out better.

I like those number for Simmonds though, he's going to be fun to watch.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
  #68
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.
He's coaching for a week. All he has to do is go to camp again as a player, like last year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
  #69
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.
Not saying you're wrong but how exactly do you "actively" attempt to come back from a brain injury? A lot of it is simply just wait it out. I'd say the development coach thing is more of giving him something to do to prevent utter boredom while he isn't cleared to play hockey, I think Hatcher did something similar.

I mean if he's working out and stuff so when he's cleared he can play, he can argue he's still hitting the gym and seeing a doctor and such but this is an interim job so he has something to do. And I don't think any NHL Board member will argue that if doctor's clear him to be a development coach and it won't hinder his recovery.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
  #70
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
Love the cap hit! Can't wait until the season starts.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
  #71
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You realise that hockey players can have other jobs aswell right? It's not against league rules
Actually it is. That is cap circumvention 101.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
  #72
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not saying you're wrong but how exactly do you "actively" attempt to come back from a brain injury? A lot of it is simply just wait it out. I'd say the development coach thing is more of giving him something to do to prevent utter boredom while he isn't cleared to play hockey, I think Hatcher did something similar.

I mean if he's working out and stuff so when he's cleared he can play, he can argue he's still hitting the gym and seeing a doctor and such but this is an interim job so he has something to do. And I don't think any NHL Board member will argue that if doctor's clear him to be a development coach and it won't hinder his recovery.
Hatcher didn't do anything in an official capacity until his contract was done. If Lappy was hanging around helping out, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, it isn't exactly a state secret that both he and the Flyers had every intention of him working for the organization when his career was "over".

The NHL has not stepped down too hard on these 35+ situations in the past, but this seems to be simply spitting on the rule.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
  #73
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hatcher didn't do anything in an official capacity until his contract was done. If Lappy was hanging around helping out, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, it isn't exactly a state secret that both he and the Flyers had every intention of him working for the organization when his career was "over".

The NHL has not stepped down too hard on these 35+ situations in the past, but this seems to be simply spitting on the rule.
Right, but you never really answered my question though. How do you actively recover from a brain injury? In this case since it's an unknown amount of time out I don't really see it as spitting on the rule. If anything I see it as an interim job until Lappy can return to the ice. And if he can return, "Flyers announce new development coach, Laperriere to return to ice."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
  #74
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Right, but you never really answered my question though. How do you actively recover from a brain injury? In this case since it's an unknown amount of time out I don't really see it as spitting on the rule. If anything I see it as an interim job until Lappy can return to the ice. And if he can return, "Flyers announce new development coach, Laperriere to return to ice."
If you've actively taken on new responsibilities, it doesnt look like you have any intention of coming back. Everyone knows his career is over. He's publicly spoken about how he's been told not to play again by his doctors.

This, however, "looks" like retirement looks.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  #75
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If you've actively taken on new responsibilities, it doesnt look like you have any intention of coming back. Everyone knows his career is over. He's publicly spoken about how he's been told not to play again by his doctors.

This, however, "looks" like retirement looks.
If the league does anything it'll be because of this, not because he's running a week long camp.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.