HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds signs 2-year deal; $1.75M AAV

Old
07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Decent chance they aren't going to bother with the LTIR argument, I think.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW, the Flyers have named Lappy as development coach. Why does that matter? Tough to argue he hasn't "retired" when he's assumed a new position.

Where? I read he was helping today at camp, but not that he's been officially named as a coach.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

Well if you are suggesting he will retire, then I doubt it. Unless his new job pays him 1mil, which is what he would get just sitting around "trying" to comeback, then he will likely not retire.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Well if you are suggesting he will retire, then I doubt it. Unless his new job pays him 1mil, which is what he would get just sitting around "trying" to comeback, then he will likely not retire.
He'll get paid that either way.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Damaged Goods

Precisely the number that I was expecting. Eerie, actually.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
How on earth does Schenn make that much money? How many NHL games has he played?
He doesn't. That's the most he can earn.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

So, him having an actual official position is a potentially big deal.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
You're missing the point. In order to qualify, Lappy needs to be actively trying to make a comeback. Now, to a certain extent its all BS at this point, but it was never a sure thing that the league would let them LTIR him.

Not saying they will now, but didn't the league make some sort of exception for Mike Rathje? He was on LTIR for like a hundred years wasn't he when he had no intention of coming back?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not saying they will now, but didn't the league make some sort of exception for Mike Rathje? He was on LTIR for like a hundred years wasn't he when he had no intention of coming back?
You might recall him actually showing up in camp that one year. Rathje also didn't take another gig (that I'm aware of).

Old
07-08-2011, 12:24 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:

So his cap hit comes off if he's retired? What's the big deal about, please explain. tia

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So his cap hit comes off if he's retired? What's the big deal about, please explain. tia
His cap hit doesn't come off since he is a 35+ contract. You can stash him on LTIR if it's plausible that he's attempting a comeback, and you're then allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. However, once he accepts another job, he is clearly retired, and his hit counts against the cap.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:56 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
His cap hit doesn't come off since he is a 35+ contract. You can stash him on LTIR if it's plausible that he's attempting a comeback, and you're then allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. However, once he accepts another job, he is clearly retired, and his hit counts against the cap.
So if he is officially a coach, we're screwing ourselves. Awesome.

eta: thanks for the explanation.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:02 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

League: "You can't put Lappy on LTIR, he is coaching for you now"

Homer: "No, he is not coaching, he has been "developing" ways to return from a concussion and his primary subject is himself. He still hopes to play this year."

League: "BS"

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

Not necessarily. I'm not sure what he can do for his symptoms besides waiting. He can always say he intends to fulfill his player contract as soon as his symptoms subside.

Doesn't staying at home look more like "retirement" from hockey than taking on an auxiliary coaching role?

Old
07-08-2011, 02:50 AM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
WOW thats a discount i thought he'd get at least 2.5. Good Luck with him, he'll be a crowd favorite, and will be interesting to see when the Kings come to Philly in the middle of October
2.5 mil a year? seems about 1 mil a year too high,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

You realise that hockey players can have other jobs aswell right? It's not against league rules

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
kicksave27

Wasn't Clarke both a player and an assistant coach back in the early 80's which is why he gave up the "C".

They could say lappy is working out and trying new avenues of treatment, and while doing so is keeping around the team by helping the young players. Not far fetched. Heck the NHL gave him a players award this year and he was on LTIR all season, it's good for both parties. If they crack down on that it would make GM more leery of giving multiyear contracts to over 35 players. I bet the NHLPA tries to fix that next time around so the older players make out better.

I like those number for Simmonds though, he's going to be fun to watch.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

He's coaching for a week. All he has to do is go to camp again as a player, like last year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Not saying you're wrong but how exactly do you "actively" attempt to come back from a brain injury? A lot of it is simply just wait it out. I'd say the development coach thing is more of giving him something to do to prevent utter boredom while he isn't cleared to play hockey, I think Hatcher did something similar.

I mean if he's working out and stuff so when he's cleared he can play, he can argue he's still hitting the gym and seeing a doctor and such but this is an interim job so he has something to do. And I don't think any NHL Board member will argue that if doctor's clear him to be a development coach and it won't hinder his recovery.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
StandingCow

Love the cap hit! Can't wait until the season starts.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You realise that hockey players can have other jobs aswell right? It's not against league rules
Actually it is. That is cap circumvention 101.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not saying you're wrong but how exactly do you "actively" attempt to come back from a brain injury? A lot of it is simply just wait it out. I'd say the development coach thing is more of giving him something to do to prevent utter boredom while he isn't cleared to play hockey, I think Hatcher did something similar.

I mean if he's working out and stuff so when he's cleared he can play, he can argue he's still hitting the gym and seeing a doctor and such but this is an interim job so he has something to do. And I don't think any NHL Board member will argue that if doctor's clear him to be a development coach and it won't hinder his recovery.
Hatcher didn't do anything in an official capacity until his contract was done. If Lappy was hanging around helping out, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, it isn't exactly a state secret that both he and the Flyers had every intention of him working for the organization when his career was "over".

The NHL has not stepped down too hard on these 35+ situations in the past, but this seems to be simply spitting on the rule.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Hatcher didn't do anything in an official capacity until his contract was done. If Lappy was hanging around helping out, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, it isn't exactly a state secret that both he and the Flyers had every intention of him working for the organization when his career was "over".

The NHL has not stepped down too hard on these 35+ situations in the past, but this seems to be simply spitting on the rule.
Right, but you never really answered my question though. How do you actively recover from a brain injury? In this case since it's an unknown amount of time out I don't really see it as spitting on the rule. If anything I see it as an interim job until Lappy can return to the ice. And if he can return, "Flyers announce new development coach, Laperriere to return to ice."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Right, but you never really answered my question though. How do you actively recover from a brain injury? In this case since it's an unknown amount of time out I don't really see it as spitting on the rule. If anything I see it as an interim job until Lappy can return to the ice. And if he can return, "Flyers announce new development coach, Laperriere to return to ice."
If you've actively taken on new responsibilities, it doesnt look like you have any intention of coming back. Everyone knows his career is over. He's publicly spoken about how he's been told not to play again by his doctors.

This, however, "looks" like retirement looks.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
If you've actively taken on new responsibilities, it doesnt look like you have any intention of coming back. Everyone knows his career is over. He's publicly spoken about how he's been told not to play again by his doctors.

This, however, "looks" like retirement looks.
If the league does anything it'll be because of this, not because he's running a week long camp.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote